CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

Martin H 07-12-2019 10:16 PM

Played well and not just in the classic LB wide berth but I thought he covered across really well too. Good and composed on the ball as you would expect. Can’t imagine for a min he would be playing LB this morning, so we’ll done Jairo.

Gazza2 07-12-2019 10:41 PM

Good on the ball but got outpaced far too often and far too easily on the outside allowing a lot of crosses to get into the box.

Stavros 69 07-12-2019 11:26 PM

Nice to see him get some mins.

aj4england 07-12-2019 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza2 (Post 15008307)
Good on the ball but got outpaced far too often and far too easily on the outside allowing a lot of crosses to get into the box.

A bit harsh , needs to improve defensively/ position wide but looked classy with very good distribution.

Looked more effective than McCarthy

Palace43 08-12-2019 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza2 (Post 15008307)

He was up against arguably one of the fastest players in world football (not that it makes Sarr any good).

Riedewald done well to stay with him and put enough pressure on for him not to make any good crosses or dribbles.

I’ve always liked Riedewald as a player, but it seems that Roy has never trusted him. Potentially for good reason, Roy is the one who sees the training.

Hopefully Riedewald has made a decent case to get noticed now.

Glɑzier 08-12-2019 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SussexRed&Blue (Post 15007942)
Was good today at Left Back when he came on passed the ball well and linked the play well with Wilf etc.

As Hodgson said previously he is a good footballer.

You do wonder how much hunger for the game he has though to be a success.

Hopefully this is a new start for him. Was impressed by him when he played against Man City a season ago but seems to have drifted along a bit in the u23's.

Not only did Hodgson say he's a good footballer, he also said he's the most technically gifted player at the club (I saw this on twitter, but it may also have been mentioned on the Q&A thread), so must surely hold him in some degree of esteem, hopefully not an unwise inference on my part.

Agree with your other comments, and as Ray Lewington said in last year's Q&A, he's not "busy" enough. But Roy's comment this year, and actually playing him, suggest to me he wants him to succeed. As to why the workrate isn't, or hasn't been there, it could be a question of stamina rather than will, in which case he should move to a mainland Euro league asap. Otherwise if he's actually turning a corner, I'll start getting my hopes up about him again :(

brighton_eagle 08-12-2019 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 15008271)
Played well and not just in the classic LB wide berth but I thought he covered across really well too. Good and composed on the ball as you would expect. Can’t imagine for a min he would be playing LB this morning, so we’ll done Jairo.

He looked genuinely surprised when he got pulled in from the pitch at half time and told to get ready.

red&blue_moomin 08-12-2019 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle (Post 15007928)
Been in the Wilderness? He put himself there by lolloping around like he hasn't given a shit in the U23s and Pre season friendlies for the last 2 - 3 seasons. If he actually had put the effort in he might have played a bit more.

Which is bollocks because some plonker decided he was fat one year based upon him not wearing a form fitting shirt. He apparently is a good trainer and one of the best technical players at the club from what Roy has said. He's also too slow according to Roy and Ray. None of which makes him lazy.

BUNGLE 08-12-2019 04:02 AM

Decent on the ball, didnt manage to stop any crosses coming in from that side though.

Latvian Eagle 08-12-2019 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red&blue_moomin (Post 15008421)
Which is bollocks because some plonker decided he was fat one year based upon him not wearing a form fitting shirt. He apparently is a good trainer and one of the best technical players at the club from what Roy has said. He's also too slow according to Roy and Ray. None of which makes him lazy.

Well it's not bollocks is it otherwise he would have played more wouldn't he. :rolleyes: If he was that good he would have been in the team at some point. The fact he has only ever made it in when we are right down to the bare bones like yesterday, or for a League Cup tie against lower league opposition is very telling.

It's got nothing to do with what shirt he was wearing in a pre season game. Look through any U23 game thread last season and most comments will be about Jairo couldn't be bothered again, Jairo looked like he didn't want to be there. Perhaps if he actually tried to impress the management he might have had more opportunities rather than sulking.

Martin H 08-12-2019 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle (Post 15008469)
Well it's not bollocks is it otherwise he would have played more wouldn't he. :rolleyes: If he was that good he would have been in the team at some point. The fact he has only ever made it in when we are right down to the bare bones like yesterday, or for a League Cup tie against lower league opposition is very telling.

It's got nothing to do with what shirt he was wearing in a pre season game. Look through any U23 game thread last season and most comments will be about Jairo couldn't be bothered again, Jairo looked like he didn't want to be there. Perhaps if he actually tried to impress the management he might have had more opportunities rather than sulking.

Not sure that's (edit) fair re the U23 performances. I can't remember him not being bothered (care - only based on streams). If anything he looks more engaged than most of the other senior players that play for U23. There was one match that I remember Hodgson had to leave early that he hadn't had a great game but for the most part he plays pretty well I think. Composure on the ball, supports play and keeps things ticking over and switches play well etc. His whole playing style is a little laid back and I had thought that it was this that was questioned about him. i.e. does he have the intensity in the middle of the park and does he get up and down the park as quickly as they would like? He hasn't played as often this season.

Mr Bo Jangles 08-12-2019 08:48 AM

Looked far more mobile than I remember. Thought he did ok, didn’t let js down, plenty of effort. composed on the ball but understandably lacking a bit defensively as not his natural position. Played his part in what was a difficult game.

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o 08-12-2019 09:14 AM

What was wrong with Schluppy..What injury did he sustain ?

SussexRed&Blue 08-12-2019 09:32 AM

From a previous fans forum event over a year ago I believe that Ray said that Technically he is one of the best players at the club but he was not busy enough. He also said that his best position is Centre Midfield.

At the moment there is loads of competition currently for that position in front of him.

When we had a big injury crisis he did actually play Centre Midfield against Man City at home and did very well but we have not really seen much of him since.

The Premier League is played with intensity but yesterday he seemed to cope well with it in a feisty game even though he was in an unfamiliar position.

I suppose when you come out of the Ajax Academy the grounding the players get would involve playing in different positions across the team to give players a better understanding of the game.

Martin H 08-12-2019 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SussexRed&Blue (Post 15008579)
From a a previous fans forum event over a year ago I believe that Ray said that Technically he is one of the best players at the club but he was not busy enough. He also said that his best position is Centre Midfield but there is loads of competition currently for that position in front of him.

When we had a big injury crisis he did actually play Centre Midfield against Man City at home and did very well but we have not really seen much of him since.

The Premier League is played with intensity but yesterday he seemed to cope well with it in a feisty game even though he was in an unfamiliar position.

I suppose when you come out of the Ajax Academy the grounding the players get would involve playing in different positions across the team to give players a better understanding of the game.

He played LB (as well as DM and CB) for Ajax and made his debut there I think? Not sure but didn't he pay there in the late stages of the Europa Cup in his last season there. Think he might have played there for us in a Cup match too but not certain.

Kai 08-12-2019 09:46 AM

Wasn't he at left back for the UEFA cup final?

He wasn't given an easy task yesterday coming on like that and did no worse than Schlupp. Being up against a pacy player like Sarr is not easy at all and he looked good on the ball and even ventured forward a time or two. He looks a bit slow though, so will be exposed against fast players

SussexRed&Blue 08-12-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 15008592)
He played LB (as well as DM and CB) for Ajax and made his debut there I think? Not sure but didn't he pay there in the late stages of the Europa Cup in his last season there. Think he might have played there for us in a Cup match too but not certain.

I must admit i'm not too familiar with his Ajax playing career but they have certainly produced some decent players over the years so he must of had something about him to make the 1st team!

I think you could be right he did play at Left Back before for us in a Cup Match.

bodger 08-12-2019 11:05 AM

Well the way it stands he could be playing against Brighton so an intense week of training for him.

Golf Boy 08-12-2019 11:10 AM

Play him as the midfielder that gets forward. Mac and Kouyote get into good positions but neither of them are going to score ever.

Martin H 08-12-2019 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SussexRed&Blue (Post 15008603)
I must admit i'm not too familiar with his Ajax playing career but they have certainly produced some decent players over the years so he must of had something about him to make the 1st team!

I think you could be right he did play at Left Back before for us in a Cup Match.

TBH you are not alone, I think Roy described it as an unfamiliar position for him. What is pretty evrtain is that he hadn't expected that morning to be playing 45 mins at LB :)