CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Survey for my son's A level coursework about the area around Selhurst Park (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=282949)

david sylvian 21-11-2020 06:57 PM

Survey for my son's A level coursework about the area around Selhurst Park
 
People - I'm helping my son with his A level geography coursework - he's put the following survey together, and would be delighted if people from the Palace community could complete it. Many thanks for anyone who can help.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/SGVFSG3

Blind_Eagle 21-11-2020 07:03 PM

Iím more than happy to do this but seriously?

2. Retail regeneration often brings national/international names, would this be positive or negative for the area?

Yes

No

HTF are you supposed to answer that?

Sorry :(

Selhurst Celtic 21-11-2020 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david sylvian (Post 15508427)
People - I'm helping my son with his A level geography coursework - he's put the following survey together, and would be delighted if people from the Palace community could complete it. Many thanks for anyone who can help.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/SGVFSG3

Is this what your son expects of you on your own birthday?

hatter8142 21-11-2020 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle (Post 15508433)
Iím more than happy to do this but seriously?

2. Retail regeneration often brings national/international names, would this be positive or negative for the area?

Yes

No

HTF are you supposed to answer that?

Sorry :(

Quite easily, yes is positive, no is negative.

Palace Kebab 21-11-2020 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatter8142 (Post 15508444)
Quite easily, yes is positive, no is negative.

That is pretty generous, it needs correcting

ExiledStirling 21-11-2020 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatter8142 (Post 15508444)
Quite easily, yes is positive, no is negative.

If it brings say someone like the Dalai Llama to shop in your locale then a positive but what if it is Trump?

I understand Blind's dilemma.

Blind_Eagle 21-11-2020 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatter8142 (Post 15508444)
Quite easily, yes is positive, no is negative.

Lol.

So, what if you think it would be negative?

You’d answer yes..

(In case it helps, it’s not an IEEE examination paper)

I’m not taking the piss, I’m trying to help.

Hpalace 21-11-2020 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david sylvian (Post 15508427)
People - I'm helping my son with his A level geography coursework - he's put the following survey together, and would be delighted if people from the Palace community could complete it. Many thanks for anyone who can help.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/SGVFSG3

Get him to make up the data. He will get far better results and some decent anomalies to talk about.

david sylvian 21-11-2020 07:29 PM

thanks for everyone contributing so far, however flaky my son's questions may be!

david sylvian 21-11-2020 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selhurst Celtic (Post 15508441)
Is this what your son expects of you on your own birthday?

and yes, he's not a completely helpful soul, even on my birthday. ungrateful little shite

Blind_Eagle 21-11-2020 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david sylvian (Post 15508461)
thanks for everyone contributing so far, however flaky my son's questions may be!

Canít he correct it (them)?

david sylvian 21-11-2020 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle (Post 15508471)
Canít he correct it (them)?

i'll get the div to have a look! thanks

Les Butler 21-11-2020 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david sylvian (Post 15508534)
i'll get the div to have a look! thanks

LOL:supergrin:

Scroatey 21-11-2020 08:58 PM

Done, but I did feel most of the questions should have offered the option to choose more than one answer, and an 'other' option with the ability to enter free text.

I offer that advice as a fan of qualitative and quantitative data and holder of a degree in Geography (for what it's worth).

Ruskin Old Boy 21-11-2020 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david sylvian (Post 15508427)
People - I'm helping my son with his A level geography coursework - he's put the following survey together, and would be delighted if people from the Palace community could complete it. Many thanks for anyone who can help.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/SGVFSG3

Done.

No problem answering the questions.:angel:

david sylvian 21-11-2020 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scroatey (Post 15508543)
Done, but I did feel most of the questions should have offered the option to choose more than one answer, and an 'other' option with the ability to enter free text.

I offer that advice as a fan of qualitative and quantitative data and holder of a degree in Geography (for what it's worth).

Loving the feedback!

Little Matt 21-11-2020 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david sylvian (Post 15508462)
and yes, he's not a completely helpful soul, even on my birthday. ungrateful little shite

No chance of a quiet life then David.

Anyway, I've also completed it and would agree with others that whilst the questions are ok the answers/options need some work.

david sylvian 21-11-2020 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Matt (Post 15508570)
No chance of a quiet life then David.

Anyway, I've also completed it and would agree with others that whilst the questions are ok the answers/options need some work.

Oddly enough, I'm not the real ex lead-singer of Japan

ardeo 21-11-2020 09:50 PM

Done. I did a not dissimilar survey for my masters about the effects of gentrification on the community around Bellenden Road. I stood outside and asked people, as well as going into the hairdressers, local businesses, cafe and pub. Would have been much easier to do an online survey! But did get lots of bonus qualitative stuff from people that were interested.

Dorking .Eagle 21-11-2020 09:56 PM

Happy to have done the survey, unfortunately the state of Thornton Heath (and how it can be uplifted) is really complicated and multi-layered.

You could improve all of the things suggested and it'll still be a secondary shopping area, because Croydon town centre (for all its own faults) with its national and international retail names is just down the road.

I think the locals of Thornton Heath have a High Street that fits the area quite well. It may look run down and the shops may be largely downmarket, but the local area needs budget retail, shops that are market stall in appearance and affordable everyday convenience shopping.

It meets a local need in an area with a fairly high % of poverty

CP Satellite 21-11-2020 11:21 PM

Speaking as a local (of Fort Neef) what happens in the High Street and more pertinently to the survey, along Whitehorse Lane, has next to no consequence to anyone from the Heath.

The main roads in the area are London Road, Thornton Road, Brigstock Road, Bensham Lane, Melfort Road and Parchmore Road.

The area around the ground really comes under South Norwood and the area nearest to Whitehorse Road is West Croydon - bit of a technicality, but I don’t think most of the locals really care about the history or the geography of the area these days, which probably goes some way to explaining how out of sorts the whole area that can generally be defined as North Croydon has become.

The High Street is not bad really, but can hardly be regarded as a focal point of the community unless they happen to live on adjoining roads, which is a small fraction of Thornton Heath.

Of course, the main point is that the whole area needs an economic upturn - which is going to take much greater investment and better employment opportunities in as well as upgrading local infrastructure than merely around Selhurst Park.

Beneaglee 22-11-2020 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david sylvian (Post 15508461)
thanks for everyone contributing so far, however flaky my son's questions may be!

He is 16-18 years old, i doubt he will be running any statistical data on the reliability of the questions and the responses. Some people are twats on here, and well done for being a great dad and helping ya son. Respect to the young man for using a place of interest for his project!

Scroatey 22-11-2020 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beneaglee (Post 15508642)
He is 16-18 years old, i doubt he will be running any statistical data on the reliability of the questions and the responses. Some people are twats on here, and well done for being a great dad and helping ya son. Respect to the young man for using a place of interest for his project!

By A-Level we were evaluating our own research as part of the write-up. And most feedback on here has been pretty constructive.

david sylvian 22-11-2020 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scroatey (Post 15508685)
By A-Level we were evaluating our own research as part of the write-up. And most feedback on here has been pretty constructive.

Yep, thanks for the feedback. I'm going to sit my son down at some time today and get him to analyse the results. 28 responses so far, which is tremendous. thanks to everyone who has contributed.

david sylvian 22-11-2020 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beneaglee (Post 15508642)
He is 16-18 years old, i doubt he will be running any statistical data on the reliability of the questions and the responses. Some people are twats on here, and well done for being a great dad and helping ya son. Respect to the young man for using a place of interest for his project!


to that point I drove him down to Thornton Heath on a Monday about three weeks ago and we spend the day milling about - it was probably the most fun I've had in the last three months...which speaks volumes about how mundane my everyday life is!

Louis 22-11-2020 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david sylvian (Post 15508427)
People - I'm helping my son with his A level geography coursework - he's put the following survey together, and would be delighted if people from the Palace community could complete it. Many thanks for anyone who can help.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/SGVFSG3

Done

Louis 22-11-2020 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle (Post 15508577)
Happy to have done the survey, unfortunately the state of Thornton Heath (and how it can be uplifted) is really complicated and multi-layered.

You could improve all of the things suggested and it'll still be a secondary shopping area, because Croydon town centre (for all its own faults) with its national and international retail names is just down the road.

I think the locals of Thornton Heath have a High Street that fits the area quite well. It may look run down and the shops may be largely downmarket, but the local area needs budget retail, shops that are market stall in appearance and affordable everyday convenience shopping.

It meets a local need in an area with a fairly high % of poverty

Good points Dorking. If money is spent, I would say it is important that local people and business owners are a key part of any developments, so that people who live and work there buy in to the changes.

Louis 22-11-2020 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP Satellite (Post 15508618)
Speaking as a local (of Fort Neef) what happens in the High Street and more pertinently to the survey, along Whitehorse Lane, has next to no consequence to anyone from the Heath.

The main roads in the area are London Road, Thornton Road, Brigstock Road, Bensham Lane, Melfort Road and Parchmore Road.

The area around the ground really comes under South Norwood and the area nearest to Whitehorse Road is West Croydon - bit of a technicality, but I donít think most of the locals really care about the history or the geography of the area these days, which probably goes some way to explaining how out of sorts the whole area that can generally be defined as North Croydon has become.

The High Street is not bad really, but can hardly be regarded as a focal point of the community unless they happen to live on adjoining roads, which is a small fraction of Thornton Heath.

Of course, the main point is that the whole area needs an economic upturn - which is going to take much greater investment and better employment opportunities in as well as upgrading local infrastructure than merely around Selhurst Park.

Interesting points CP. If the High St is not the focal point of the community, is there a place that is?


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.