CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   The Music Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   The Smiths. (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=279066)

Coastal Palace 18-05-2019 03:27 AM

The Smiths.

They're the greatest band that's ever been.

Argue away...

Les Butler 18-05-2019 03:43 AM

https://66.media.tumblr.com/0f0b9e18...7f0wo1_400.gif

Coastal Palace 18-05-2019 03:47 AM

scro 18-05-2019 03:51 AM

Certainly one of them for me.

Coastal Palace 18-05-2019 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Butler (Post 14764787)

You're not taking his seriously now Les are ya?

Coastal Palace 18-05-2019 04:09 AM

Johnny Marr takes you away to a magical place.

Coastal Palace 18-05-2019 04:29 AM

Coastal Palace 18-05-2019 04:58 AM

You should probably ignore me because this is my favourite song of all time...

Ninjas Headband 18-05-2019 07:17 AM

Got me into music as a 13 year old so the Smiths are the most important band for me.

Seeing Johnny Marr next Saturday. Don't have a lot of time for Morrissey these days.

mrB 18-05-2019 08:10 AM

Depends on what greatest means, but for me certainly up there with mt favourites

Stellavista 18-05-2019 05:51 PM

They're not, but 'The Queen is Dead' is a fabulous album. Underrated rhythm section.

cappuccinoeagle 18-05-2019 05:57 PM

Fabulous lyrics and guitar work, but Morrissey is a hideous individual.

bubbs11 20-05-2019 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cappuccinoeagle (Post 14765621)
Fabulous lyrics and guitar work, but Morrissey is a hideous individual.

Not true, just very different. I understand that grates with some.

The Smiths are my second favourite band of all time. When it comes to creating a truely ground breaking sound, then I can’t think of many competitors. To have a top guitarist in Marr, painting these gorgeously skilful and evocative landscapes and Morrissey applying in his own totally unique style, thought provoking and beautifully poetic words over the top...it’s breathtaking and unrivalled stuff. It’s like William Wordsworth and Lowry getting together to merge their unique talents into this one whole.

I can understand why some just can’t get past Moz’s voice...Mrs Bubbs thinks he’s out of tune...to me, his voice hits the spot and sounds fantastic. Bloody tragedy The Smiths only lasted 5 years and have been yearning for a Morrissey/Marr reunion ever since. Apparently just a few years ago they actually met up again to discuss such a thing, but nothing came of it; rumoured that Moz didn’t get back in touch with Marr after the meet despite Marr feeling it went positively.

As people, I actually have a lot more time for Morrissey than Johnny. I find Marr quite difficult to listen to in interviews - seems lost in his own ‘right on’ rock and roll superstar persona.

Of course, Morrissey is the definition of a Marmite character. I think he is a truely unique individual and talker. I’ve always enjoyed listening to people that are off the beaten track - just make life less dull and more colourful. It has been my long held belief that Morrissey has high functioning autism (Aspergers). The fact he is so different and totally at ease with that; the ‘odd’ and unique way he talks; his encyclopaedic grasp of the English language and just his general awkward and socially strange mannerisms; the fact that he doesn’t bond with other humans so comfortably, just point towards the syndrome for me. Might be totally wrong.

I think he’s one of those people, whether others want to accept it or not, whose legend will loom very large once gone.

Polish Pete 20-05-2019 04:14 AM

Funny enough been listening to the Q is D on vinyl only yesterday. Has a major scratch in it though.
I preferred Johnny Marr in The The who IMHO are the better band along with The Bunnymen who have nothing to do with Johnny Marr or the Smiths

marantz 20-05-2019 06:21 PM

Undoubtedly a very good band but nowhere near the greatest band of all time they didnít evolve soundwise I donít think they compare to radiohead massive attack of faith no more to name three bands who really pushed their sound forwards in a five year spell

Am Phibian 20-05-2019 08:27 PM

The Smiths 1983-87 are definitely comparable and up there with the greatest bands ever.

Poetry set to music. Hilarious at times, poignant too.

Just a brilliant and original set up. Nothing like them before and nothing since.

And I'm not even a huge fan but I appreciate near genius when I hear it. Some of their tracks are 10/10 and the duff ones you can count on one hand.

The Queen is Dead is in my top 10 albums ever.

Worksop Palace 20-05-2019 09:10 PM

Without the Smiths there would be no Stone Roses, Oasis, Blur, Pulp to name but a few

El Aguila 20-05-2019 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worksop Palace (Post 14767595)
Without the Smiths there would be no Stone Roses, Oasis, Blur, Pulp to name but a few

Hmmmm. Go on. You interest me, strangely.

west country boy 20-05-2019 09:35 PM

Sauce.

CP-RJW 20-05-2019 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marantz (Post 14767431)
Undoubtedly a very good band but nowhere near the greatest band of all time they didnít evolve soundwise I donít think they compare to radiohead massive attack of faith no more to name three bands who really pushed their sound forwards in a five year spell

Yes.