CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Apple iPad (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=196201)

BulletEagle 27-01-2010 06:42 PM

Apple iPad

Announced today to be the new touch screen tablet computer that was described by Steve Jobs as being "the thing between an iPhone and a laptop."

Anyone thinking of getting one?

Lizzy 27-01-2010 06:47 PM

I'd love one but tbh it's just a kind of giant iphone isn't it. I'd really love one but it wouldn't replace either my laptop or my iphone so does seem something of an extravagance.

BulletEagle 27-01-2010 06:52 PM

Agreed, I really would love one, but with a glass screen and it's size it isn't really small enough to have in my pocket, too inconvenient for the train, and as I already have a laptop and iPhone I don't see what it would offer me.

I still want one though :D

ollie_porter 27-01-2010 06:52 PM

It looks amazing. But it's pointless for anyone with an iPhone or a laptop.

Kevin T 27-01-2010 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizzy
I'd love one but tbh it's just a kind of giant iphone isn't it. I'd really love one but it wouldn't replace either my laptop or my iphone so does seem something of an extravagance.

You seriously think we won't be getting one?

OscillateWildly 27-01-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizzy

I agree 100%.

I'll still get one though.

(To go with my households iphone, imac, macbook pro, macbook air and ipod touch.)

disco mixx kidd 28-01-2010 09:44 AM

so it wont multitask just like the iphone

and i guess its a locked platform like iphone? ie games/programs etc will need to be specifically written for it?

good pricing thou from 300-500 but youd still need your laptop?

probaly a luxury item for awhile but could become an popular new platform

ive only just brought my first itouch! :-)

brighton_eagle 28-01-2010 09:52 AM

I'll wait I think, and see what options are available in 12 months. There'll be a whole load of them by then.

Nelson Muntz 28-01-2010 10:08 AM

Ridcully will have one soon and will review it in due course ;) :D

kitticat 28-01-2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brighton_eagle
I'll wait I think, and see what options are available in 12 months. There'll be a whole load of them by then.

I have two laptops and a media thingy. I think I have enought :D

Plus it sounds like a panty liner

brighton_eagle 28-01-2010 11:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)

kitticat 28-01-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

:D :D :D

wedgetail 28-01-2010 11:40 AM

looks like a turkey to me

OscillateWildly 28-01-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wedgetail
looks like a turkey to me

It's the future.

Most people these days want a computer for browsing the web, e-mailing and a tiny bit of wp.

This machine is perfect for them.

Others need a good main computer but would still use this as their mobile second computer.

brighton_eagle 28-01-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OscillateWildly
It's the future.

Most people these days want a computer for browsing the web, e-mailing and a tiny bit of wp.

This machine is perfect for them.

Others need a good main computer but would still use this as their mobile second computer.

If they sort out multitasking, and the Flash issue, then yes, it would be a goer. But no Flash = no streaming video and only half the internet. And no multitasking on a device like this is a total joke.

Heb 7:4 28-01-2010 11:49 AM

Needs camera for Skype. My mum and dad would probably get one each if it had had that.

brighton_eagle 28-01-2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heb 7:4
Needs camera for Skype. My mum and dad would probably get one each if it had had that.

A camera would be a bonus for sure.

I suppose the multitasking thing is an OS issue. In which case, it's a bit shit to launch it without.

Heb 7:4 28-01-2010 11:55 AM

I use proswitcher on my iPhone and I have to say it works a treat. You just hold down the home button to leave an app open, and then you can flick between different open apps in the same way as the Palm Pre.

Hopefully the iPad will be as easy to jailbreak, but I can't see apple not fixing this in OS 4.0 anyway

Dave 28-01-2010 12:01 PM

except it's not very mobile, it can't get content from itunes over the air and you are locked into installing only apple sanctioned apps.

People will live with archaic restrictive practices on the jesus phone but would they really have a mobile computer so tightly controlled by Apple?

Dave 28-01-2010 12:03 PM

Quote:

If they sort out multitasking, and the Flash issue, then yes, it would be a goer. But no Flash = no streaming video and only half the internet. And no multitasking on a device like this is a total joke.

Flash it like the most horrible way possible to view video.

Safari supports HTML5 and H.264 encoded videos