CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Transfer Hotline (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Rumour: Nathan Redmond: Southampton sign winger from Norwich on five-year deal (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=265311)

Sp1Eagle 12-05-2016 11:04 AM

Nathan Redmond: Southampton sign winger from Norwich on five-year deal

Quote:

A trio of Premier League clubs have already expressed an interest in Norwich City’s England Under-21 international Nathan Redmond, who is set to leave Carrow Road this summer following relegation.

Redmond, a £3.2m signing from Birmingham City in 2013, has featured in all but three of Norwich’s top-flight fixtures this season and scored his sixth league goal of term during a scintillating performance in Wednesday’s 4-2 defeat of Watford. Yet that result was not enough to keep Alex Neil’s side in the division, with Sunderland’s victory over Everton condemning Norwich to an immediate return to the second tier.

The 22-year-old, whose contract expires in 2017, is expected to depart, with Stoke City and West Ham United having been joined by Crystal Palace in pursuit of the winger, who will command a fee of around £10m. Mark Hughes considers the player a more financially viable option than West Bromwich Albion’s Saido Berahino, and Stoke and West Ham, who have opted against pursuing a permanent deal for Chelsea’s Victor Moses, would be prepared to offer wages in the region of £60,000 a week.

Redmond, however, is understood to be tempted by the prospect of more game time at Palace, who had explored the possibility of signing him in January, even if their basic salary would probably fall short of those proposed by other suitors. The FA Cup finalists would be keener to pay around £8m up front and include a sell-on clause in any deal, and Norwich may pursue that option given their interest in Palace’s Jordon Mutch.

The former Birmingham and Cardiff midfielder has been a bit-part player at Selhurst Park since joining for around £5m in January 2015 and has started only 10 Premier League games in 16 months. Palace would hope to recoup the money they paid for the 24-year-old and, although a conventional swap deal is unlikely, Mutch’s potential transfer could yet come into play in smoothing a deal for Redmond.
https://www.theguardian.com/football...P=share_btn_tw

Martin H 12-05-2016 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sp1Eagle (Post 12985960)

This is a logical set of thinking. Unusual for transfer gossip.

Thefunkymonk 12-05-2016 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 12985969)
This is a logical set of thinking. Unusual for transfer gossip.

Dom fifield is palace fan. Also fairly accurate on reporting palace stuff

Kuqi32 12-05-2016 11:13 AM

Mutch for Redmond - yes please.

andyocpfc 12-05-2016 11:15 AM

Nathan Redmond

Whilst I don't have anything against Mutch and puts in a shift when required. The prospect of a swap deal plus cash for NR would be great business and I believe Mutch would be a great player in the championship too.

Billyd 12-05-2016 11:17 AM

Swapping Mutch for Redmond would be like taking your knackered Corsa and exchanging it for a Ferrari.

Russboy 12-05-2016 11:18 AM

Swap Mutch for Redmond? That would be nice. He looks like a Palace player (Redmond). Mutch less so.

Bones14 12-05-2016 11:19 AM

Be the deal of the decade if we could jag that.

Yogya 12-05-2016 11:35 AM

If he is so good why could he not keep his place in the Norwich side?

knowlesyUCLA 12-05-2016 11:46 AM

We should’ve signed him years ago when he was Birmingham, I recall that we were in for him then. Would be an excellent signing and Dom’s piece makes a lot of sense.

Wingers are so important to what we do and having 3 of the quality of Bolaise, Zaha and Redmond along with the unknown quantity but undoubted potential of Kai Kai is most exciting.

Also, getting rid of Mutch would be great as the lad is ******* useless.

Martin H 12-05-2016 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk (Post 12985975)
Dom fifield is palace fan. Also fairly accurate on reporting palace stuff

Right, hadn't realised it was Dom. It makes a lot of sense then.

My overriding concern about Redmond is that he has consistently been benched by the Norwich managers despite looking a dangerous player. There has to be a reason for that especially when they have needed wins.

When I first saw him emerging at the same time as Wilf he looked like he might have more creativity and goals in him (back then) and he looked less raw somehow. He was unplayable in one match against us I remember. Wilf has become more disciplined and overtaken him and TBH Redmond hasn't really delivered those goals and assists either.

We really can't afford another fan favourite that can't score or get assists and so need to be careful about this.

GreatGonzo 12-05-2016 11:50 AM

Mutch + £5m for Redmond?

Would take that and the wage differential should not be too excessive which will be important too.

Chris K 12-05-2016 11:55 AM

Getting Redmond would mean that we could concentrate on playing Yannick upfront

cockles 12-05-2016 12:00 PM

This would be close to an ideal transfer deal.

The12thman 12-05-2016 12:01 PM

This could be a good deal for both clubs, if true. I reckon they'll want £6/7m + Mutch. Mutch isn't worth £5m but we might get £3/4m in swop deal.

If we could get him for £5m + Mutch that would be really good business.

Mutch would do well with them in the Championship I reckon and Redmond would compliment Zaha, Bolasie, a fully fit Sako (like the Sako at beginning of season) and a potentially emerging talent in Kaikai. That would offer good depth to rotate and cover injuries. Plus have option of moving Punch from central to wing if needs be too.

Shipp Ahoy! 12-05-2016 12:01 PM

This is the one I really want!

mb23 12-05-2016 12:31 PM

This would be a brilliant move. I hope it has legs, and that we can wrap it up nice and early.

A deal that would suit all parties too, Mutch would be good for them in the Championship and would start more, while Redmond will give Zaha and Bolasie some much needed competition.

Latvian Eagle 12-05-2016 12:45 PM

Yes please.

maestro 12-05-2016 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris K (Post 12986082)
Getting Redmond would mean that we could concentrate on playing Yannick upfront

You say that likes its a good thing :supergrin:

Sorry but Gayle is the man if you want to go 442

Chris K 12-05-2016 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maestro (Post 12986227)
You say that likes its a good thing :supergrin:

I'm disappointed you're the only one to bite :mad:

This would be an excellent move Wilf, Yannick, Redmond and Kai Kai coming through the ranks would be a great combo for the wings. Keep Sako in the background in case of emergency, like if the players went to an all you can eat buffet but you were charged for food left on your plate that wasn't eaten