CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Which high street retailer will be the next to go down the toilet? (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=178883)

Psychokiller 18-12-2008 09:28 AM

Which high street retailer will be the next to go down the toilet?

My money's on either WHSmith or BHS, mainly because both have dated formats and sell a load of crap. I think Robert Dyas could also follow soon. Whereas shops like Poundland are likely to thrive.

Who do you think is likely to follow Woolies?

paf 18-12-2008 09:30 AM

Zavvi

Psychokiller 18-12-2008 09:30 AM

Oh yeah, forgot about them, they're as good as flushed ain't they?

MicksSis 18-12-2008 09:33 AM

What company do you think will go into all the closed Woolies stores? I'm thinking maybe Wilkinson's.

Il Padrino 18-12-2008 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MicksSis
What company do you think will go into all the closed Woolies stores? I'm thinking maybe Wilkinson's.

Poundland are buying a load arnt they?

Psychokiller 18-12-2008 09:38 AM

I reckon many Woolies will end up as Tesco Metro, Sainsburys Local etc.

Mat ov CPFC 18-12-2008 09:41 AM

W H Smiths have been in trouble for a long time and I heard them described as being a pension fund with shops. Not sure if they will fail because they have some cracking real estate although I am not sure if they have done what Woolworths did and sold off a lot of it and just retained the leases.

My money is on one of the clothing chains. Have a friend in the rag trade on the cloth supplying side of things and she says that there are a lot of shops just looking to get through to Christmas and then go under.

And with the next quarters commerical rents due on December 24th, it could be the crunch time.

Away Day Eagle 18-12-2008 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psychokiller
I reckon many Woolies will end up as Tesco Metro, Sainsburys Local etc.

Didn't Tesco's purchase quite a few of them a couple of months back in areas where they don't have a presence ?.

Suspect they'll be in Central Croydon in the new year

Al From Bromley 18-12-2008 09:51 AM

Curry's?

stevek 18-12-2008 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Padrino
Poundland are buying a load arnt they?

Which, given the origins of Woolworths, is ironic really.

ginger eagle 18-12-2008 09:54 AM

Zavvi for me will be the next casualty

eaglejez 18-12-2008 09:54 AM

Curry's will be gone at some point next year

Dave 18-12-2008 09:55 AM

Dixons, or whatever they are called now, are in a terrible state

macstar 18-12-2008 09:57 AM

like ive said, i hate whsmith these days, and i hope they go bust. Zavvi surely are close...

adrenalin john 18-12-2008 10:06 AM

WH Smiths fortunes are overly reliant on the magazine trade and like woolies have too confused an identity. The internet is definite threat to their magazines and book sales. Cd's are over and DVD sales must be falling. If you need stationary doo you go to Rymans, office depot or Smith's ......

Look at how Borders treat their customers and suppliers.....

WH Smith travel division (airports and railway stations) is though highly profitable.

For me the next one to go has to be mothercare - always empty.

GreatGonzo 18-12-2008 10:10 AM

DSGi (Dixons) probably won't go as such because they have Currys or Comet as well as PC World don't they? Therefore i can see them just re-evaluating the business and moving everythinig under 1 brand and where they currently have 3 stores putting everything under 1 roof.

Zavvi might survive if it can sort out a new supplier but struggling through the Xmas period could spell the end for them.

Think a lot of mid level shops will go, the upper end, John Lewis, Debenhams etc will survive and the budget shops, Poundland and Primark but those caught in the middle might suffer.

Vendy 18-12-2008 10:21 AM

Are Jessops still around? If not JJB Sports, already closed Valley Park.

Long shot bet would be boots

ginger eagle 18-12-2008 10:24 AM

my dream would be to see Burberry go down the bog!

deftones_eagle 18-12-2008 10:26 AM

WH Smith, went to the West Wickham one recently, shocking, no staff and nothing on the shelves.

west country boy 18-12-2008 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psychokiller
I think Robert Dyas could also follow soon.

I hope not.