CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   1991/92 season - game by game (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=284597)

Bipe 28-09-2021 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle (Post 16024055)
Certainly the Marco signing was one that was exciting and was looking forward to seeing how he fitted in.
The links to Deane puzzled me asI saw him as very similar to Mark Bright. Shearer was the youngster that could come good. But the fact we were looking at those two makes those we turned down interesting.
We agreed a deal for Dion Dublin from Cambridge and did not follow it up. We also turned down Andy Cole from Arsenal reserves. I often wonder with all the success on taking untried players. Why we did not take the risk. Bright was still there we had goals therefore in the team.
We did not and from this saga turns out to be the start of the decline

Ironically 12 months later we did take such a risk again when we brought in the virtually unheard of Chris Armstrong from Millwall. That turned out very well.

Gabbiadini was a good player - after swiftly moving on from us he was an immediate hit at Derby, winning their player of the year award and helping them eventually get promoted to the top flight. In addition to the personality fit issues Bubbs has mentioned, he just wasn't suited to our style of play and was in no way a like-for-like replacement for Wright. Gabbiadini wasn't particularly quick and liked to drop deeper to pick up the ball, quite neat technically with quick passing to feet and whatnot. Something of a prototype Dougie Freedman I suppose. This didn't work alongside Mark Bright who was an archetypal target man looking to either flick on headers or hold the ball up while his pacier partner ran into the space behind.

It immediately seemed like a panic buy and although Gabbiadini put in a few decent performances we could see it wasn't going to work out.

If we could have held on to Bright alongside Armstrong we'd probably finished top half again in 92/93 rather than got relegated, they would have made an ideal combination and would have been good for 40 goals between them.

Re. the Hartlepool game, I seriously considered making the trek up north for that one before coming to my senses a couple of days before as it would have meant taking the day off work - not worth it. Some years later I got to know a Hartlepool fan through work (the only one I've ever encountered) and happened to mention this game and the Brian Honour goal for them. He was delighted, it turned out that Honour was a genuine club legend and considered one of their all time greats. He has a street named after him in Hartlepool which these days would be described as a 'classy touch' - often wondered why we don't do similar to honour (no pun intended) our former greats in the environs of SE25.

bubbs11 28-09-2021 07:28 PM

PALACE 2 Bright. Collymore
QPR 2. Barker. Wegerle

https://s9.gifyu.com/images/E21C2C80...DDCDEF1.md.jpg

https://s9.gifyu.com/images/B9782AB0...E4C68AE.md.jpg



https://s9.gifyu.com/images/6FD32FF4...EB5540F.md.jpg

https://s9.gifyu.com/images/1CAA7F38...36C1BC9.md.jpg

https://s9.gifyu.com/images/258EF03C...54E378C.md.jpg

https://s9.gifyu.com/images/BD6808B7...F1CD2B8.md.jpg

https://s9.gifyu.com/images/B0D99BE0...7432AC6.md.jpg

bubbs11 28-09-2021 07:47 PM

I just remember an air of depression around Selhurst on this day. The first home game without Wrighty, and the despondency was palpable. Great little comeback at the end, and Collymore gave us some hope to cling to; but with the news getting through to us that Wright had only gone and scored a bloody hat trick on his league debut for Arsenal, it was clear we were still grieving.

Our gorgeous ex girlfriend was off on the holiday of a lifetime with her rich, tall, dark and handsome new fella, while we were left supping pints on our own in the corner of our rundown local. That's what it felt like.

Maiden Eagle 28-09-2021 10:04 PM

It was terrible listening to Capital Gold sport on the radio, just after he left for maybe 2 games, when I used to hear Jonathan Pearce say 'And Ian Wright scores for............(And just for a split second, I thought 'great we've scored').........Arsenal:sob:

Grim Reaper 28-09-2021 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 16027278)
I just remember an air of depression around Selhurst on this day. The first home game without Wrighty, and the despondency was palpable. .

Spot on. Exactly how I recall entering the Holmesdale. It was a strange feeling. Almost like 'Wow, so we do still come to matches, even though Wright isn't here.' It was comforting to see a normal sized crowd of like minded people (was hard being the only Palace fan I knew of in my area 40 miles away that week) and know that Palace and life went on.

Bright's goal at Hartlepool was important in my mind as he really showed that he could perform without his mate in tandem and it was he who started the comeback at the end as well. A goal in the 81st got us back to 1-2 and then, with a chant of 'Score Score Collymore' going on the Holmesdale, up popped Stan with the equaliser in the 84th, Bedlam in the rain! Great stuff.

More than anything it showed we may have lost our crown jewel but there was still a lot of fight in th squad for now.

Grim Reaper 28-09-2021 10:52 PM

That night marked my first ever visit to a nightclub. My main memory of that evening? Various Arsenal fans I knew from school thanking me, shaking my hand etc for Ian Wright. He'd already scored 4 in 2 for them in less than a week and there I was being thanked like I'd personally been responsible for the sale.

Funny and frustrating in equal measures!

Grim Reaper 28-09-2021 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 16027088)
He has a street named after him in Hartlepool which these days would be described as a 'classy touch' - often wondered why we don't do similar to honour (no pun intended) our former greats in the environs of SE25.

As a general rule, streets don't tend to get named after people until after they've died, in case they then go on to do crimes or something that would blacken the name of the street.

Imagine if Jimmy Saville had been honoured with a street named after him whilst alive in lieu of his charity work.....and how that would have panned out in the long run.

Had a similar thing here in Hull when Dean Windass scored the goal that took Hull into the top flight for the first time ever. Hull City Council had to put a stop to that for that very reason. Windass might be a legend but he's also not necessarily the cleanest cut of guys so we'll leave that there....

Grim Reaper 28-09-2021 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaspercpfc (Post 16024129)
Didn't Smith publicly take a few swipes at Marco?

Famously described him as 'Incredibly Average' is the one most folk remember from that time

Grim Reaper 28-09-2021 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagle mart (Post 16024006)
Always had the feeling Collymore needed to leave to become what he did. His first ever goal came against someone like Lincoln in the league cup, scuffed effort from the edge of the 6 yard box that somehow made it over the line.

His first ever goal was v QPR in the league, 30 years ago today.

I had a bet with a kid at school that Collymore would score on his full debut, whoever that was against.

Luckily for me, that full debut was v Hartlepool in a 6-1 win and that scuffed goal you described won me one whole British pound. #Wealth :p

Grim Reaper 28-09-2021 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaspercpfc (Post 16023828)
I was only young at the time, but what was the general reaction when we signed Marco? He came with a good pedigree, and I think was purchased off the back of recommendations from people Sir Steve respected.
Think we were also linked with likes of Deane, Shearer and co.

My recollection is that we sold Wright on the Monday
Bid 2.8M for Shearer on the Tuesday
Bid 2.3M for Deane on the Wednesday
Bought Marco for 1.8M on the Thursday.

Knowing what I now know about transfers and bids often getting reported that didn't even happened, it might be that Palace never made actual firm bids but that's how I've always recalled that week playing out.

Marco seemed sound enough - he was one of those names you knew from goal round ups on Football Focus etc as always doing pretty well at Sunderland. It didn't take long for opposition fans to get on his back, singing 'what a waste of money' etc.

Certain games back then seemed to be Holmesdale songs sung about him more in defiance than believing he was the next Ian Wright.

bubbs11 29-09-2021 06:26 AM

Always remember being amused at the way Marco ran. Head down, chest out and arms high up around his chest. Looked cartoonish.

Bipe 29-09-2021 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 16027485)
As a general rule, streets don't tend to get named after people until after they've died, in case they then go on to do crimes or something that would blacken the name of the street.

Imagine if Jimmy Saville had been honoured with a street named after him whilst alive in lieu of his charity work.....and how that would have panned out in the long run.

Had a similar thing here in Hull when Dean Windass scored the goal that took Hull into the top flight for the first time ever. Hull City Council had to put a stop to that for that very reason. Windass might be a legend but he's also not necessarily the cleanest cut of guys so we'll leave that there....

I take the point although possibly you have undermined your argument by using Windass as an example! In these days of social media etc the neer do wells tend to be quite known about (I am aware of some of the Windass stories myself) so surely clubs can do a bit of research and not touch with a bargepole anyone about whom there is a hint of scandal.

Taking a couple of early hero examples from my youth, Kenny Sansom and Vince Hilaire, both have gone through tough personal times but I don't believe either of them are anywhere close to being accused of any criminality let alone things as serious as Savile. For someone like Sansom in particular it would be a great gesture and I would hope a morale boost to him personally to have some sort of permanent memento close to the place where it all started for him. The Hartlepool one with Brian Honour seems to have worked out for them.

If it really is a concern though we could stick to those who have sadly passed away, off the top off my head we could start with Arthur Wait, Bert Head, Malcolm Allison, David Whyte from the 60s onwards and there would be plenty more.

Anyway it's not going to happening so I don't know why I'm wasting my time and yours by jabbering on about it.

Olympian2 29-09-2021 10:12 AM

The main problem with Marco Gabbiadini was that he wasn't Ian Wright

SA Eagle 29-09-2021 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympian2 (Post 16027704)
The main problem with Marco Gabbiadini was that he wasn't Ian Wright

It was, when people expected him to play like Ian Wright, which just wasn't his game.

Grim Reaper 29-09-2021 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 16027676)
I take the point although possibly you have undermined your argument by using Windass as an example! In these days of social media etc the neer do wells tend to be quite known about (I am aware of some of the Windass stories myself) so surely clubs can do a bit of research and not touch with a bargepole anyone about whom there is a hint of scandal.

Taking a couple of early hero examples from my youth, Kenny Sansom and Vince Hilaire, both have gone through tough personal times but I don't believe either of them are anywhere close to being accused of any criminality let alone things as serious as Savile. For someone like Sansom in particular it would be a great gesture and I would hope a morale boost to him personally to have some sort of permanent memento close to the place where it all started for him. The Hartlepool one with Brian Honour seems to have worked out for them.

If it really is a concern though we could stick to those who have sadly passed away, off the top off my head we could start with Arthur Wait, Bert Head, Malcolm Allison, David Whyte from the 60s onwards and there would be plenty more.

Anyway it's not going to happening so I don't know why I'm wasting my time and yours by jabbering on about it.


No, I was saying Dean Windass is a good example of why it SHOULDN'T happen. Not for now anyway.

I was reminded of the New York Jets D'Brickashaw Ferguson getting a street named after him in his hometown just four years into his career - https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/bri...-today-2515428 so it appears the yanks arenlt as worried about their people turning into crims at a later date

Gotta be the longest road name in America! :D:eek:

art malice 29-09-2021 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 16027487)
Famously described him as 'Incredibly Average' is the one most folk remember from that time

What a twat

Bipe 29-09-2021 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 16028565)
No, I was saying Dean Windass is a good example of why it SHOULDN'T happen. Not for now anyway.



I was reminded of the New York Jets D'Brickashaw Ferguson getting a street named after him in his hometown just four years into his career - https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/bri...-today-2515428 so it appears the yanks arenlt as worried about their people turning into crims at a later date



Gotta be the longest road name in America! :D:eek:

I know but I was saying that wasn't a great example as everyone knows that Windass is an arsehole, so no sane person would sanction it happening in the first place. But just because some footballers are arseholes it shouldn't mean all footballers cannot be honoured in some way until they are long dead.

Anyway I am wasting your time again so I will shut up and stick to the top ten movers and shakers.

E.H.Plimmy 29-09-2021 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 16027676)
I take the point although possibly you have undermined your argument by using Windass as an example! In these days of social media etc the neer do wells tend to be quite known about (I am aware of some of the Windass stories myself) so surely clubs can do a bit of research and not touch with a bargepole anyone about whom there is a hint of scandal.

Well??? Come on, you can't fail to spill the beans after that.

Obviously you can't libel the man but can't you tell us things he 'definitely HASN'T done'? Or if not him then why not fill us all in about the racy back-story of the fantasy cartoon character you've created called, say, Dane Gustybottom? As long as it's an enjoyable story, we'll be perfectly happy to distract ourselves and forget all about DW.

stevek 30-09-2021 07:31 AM

I met Windass - along with Bryan Hughes - when I cycled to Hull in 2016. He was pretty quiet and subdued (unlike Hughes who was very entertaining, except for reminding me he scored Charlton's first in that game in 2005). What I learnt later was that he (Windass) was in the process of being declared bankrupt at the time.

leicester1 01-10-2021 12:37 PM

Small margins.......1991/92 play off final Jack Walkers Blackburn only progressed to the promised land through a dive in the penalty box and a successful penalty at Wembley......We only then went out and brought the offending diver which subsequently ruined many a summer holiday for some of our dis-believing fans though he soon won us all over with his effort when playing for Leicester......Fact stranger than fiction sometimes..


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.