CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   1991/92 season - game by game (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=284597)

JJ 27-08-2021 12:48 PM

Got me thinking about some other great night games. That Wimbledon game was great but so were:
Beating Chelsea the season before with IW's magnificent chip over Beasant;
Couple of years later some of those League Cup games (Grant Watts and co / ball sticking in the mud before crawling over the line);
Then a bit later still, beating Liverpool 2-1 in the LC Semi.
On reflection though - and I was at them all - the drama of an outfield player going in goal is always really great, in the same way it is when a goalie goes up for a corner.

November85 27-08-2021 03:32 PM

Swindon in the play off semi final will always be my favourite. I was only 11 so can't remember it that clearly, but in my memory there's never been a better atmosphere at Selhurst.

art malice 27-08-2021 05:13 PM

I was there for the Wimbledon game. Poor attendance.

MENTALLY TOUGH 27-08-2021 05:27 PM

Looking back at the period, its fair to say from 89-91, the games against Millwall & Wimbledon were the most entertaining you can have seen during that period. Football snobs may have turned there noses up, but it was great "direct" football. Yes the Cup Semi Final had drama and shock factor, but for the sheer end to end madness those South London derbies were great during those few years.

bubbs11 27-08-2021 05:31 PM

Andy Gray really stands out watching the footage of the night again. When he was on his game he was one of the best midfielders in the country. Love the bit where he takes the ball from Geoff and plays a lovely ball forward, and also the bit for Wimbledon’s second red and Gray is waving him off before the ref has even gone to his pocket. :D

Grim Reaper 27-08-2021 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 15969372)
On reflection though - and I was at them all - the drama of an outfield player going in goal is always really great, in the same way it is when a goalie goes up for a corner.

And Palace v Wimbledon had BOTH - which I assume is the last (and maybe ONLY) time it ever happened in a Palace game. In fact, Salako in goal I think might be the last outfield player in goal full stop for Palace.

What other ones have there been, before or since?

Grim Reaper 27-08-2021 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15969750)
Andy Gray really stands out watching the footage of the night again. When he was on his game he was one of the best midfielders in the country. Love the bit where he takes the ball from Geoff and plays a lovely ball forward, and also the bit for Wimbledon’s second red and Gray is waving him off before the ref has even gone to his pocket. :D

Gray was an absolute character - could run all day when he fancied it. Such a shame his attitude saw him nosedive and leave the club barely 100 days after his England call up

Even in the Millwall 4-3, Sheringham nearly made it 4-4 at the death and there's Gray, grinning away in the middle of the chaos while Teddy looks sick to the stomach. Lovely little clip is that.

bubbs11 27-08-2021 06:58 PM

One of my favourite memories of Gray was the home game against Everton early on in the 89/90 season when we’d just come up. We’d been hammered 9-0 by Liverpool, and it all felt very backs against the wall scrabbling for points. Everton came to Selhurst and were expected to win, but we beat them 2-1 with Pardew getting the winner.

Everton battered us at the end trying to dig out an equaliser. There was a particularly worrying attack in injury time where the ball was bouncing around our goal box, thankfully but unbeknown to us spectators, the ref saw an infringement or offside, but before he actually whistled to stop play, Gray caught the ball mid air, in anticipation. The ref duly blew his whistle and gave the decision our way, but for a moment everyone’s heart was in their mouths as it looked like Gray had just bizarrely handed them a penalty on a plate. This was not lost on the impish Andy whose cheeky wide grin was hilarious.

Grim Reaper 28-08-2021 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15969912)
Everton battered us at the end trying to dig out an equaliser. There was a particularly worrying attack in injury time where the ball was bouncing around our goal box, thankfully but unbeknown to us spectators, the ref saw an infringement or offside, but before he actually whistled to stop play, Gray caught the ball mid air, in anticipation. The ref duly blew his whistle and gave the decision our way, but for a moment everyone’s heart was in their mouths as it looked like Gray had just bizarrely handed them a penalty on a plate. This was not lost on the impish Andy whose cheeky wide grin was hilarious.

Classic Gray. :D

2-0 up at half time, but Everton got it back to 2-1 early in the second half and it just seemed like we defended for our lives for the rest of the game.

I can't remember everything other than I was genuinely hoarse by the end.

One of the games where the heart in the team was fully on display - and
those boys had hearts the size of dustbin lids back then

stevek 28-08-2021 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 15969768)
And Palace v Wimbledon had BOTH - which I assume is the last (and maybe ONLY) time it ever happened in a Palace game. In fact, Salako in goal I think might be the last outfield player in goal full stop for Palace.

What other ones have there been, before or since?

Before - Henry Hughton

After - Clint Hill (?) briefly under Warnock. Something like Speroni going off injured before half time, Clint covering until half time and then Jules coming back for the second half. But I may be misrembering.

Whilst on Warnock, against us Jagielka for Sheffield Utd.

ElwissAtMemphis 29-08-2021 06:49 PM

Nicky Chatterton replaced an injured Tony Burns at half-time in the final home game of the season against Lincoln in 1976/76 which is why Peter Caswell played in the decider at Wrexham 4 days later. He also played all of a pre-season Kent Cup match against Charlton in goal in 75/76 when Burns got injured in the warm up.

Bipe 30-08-2021 02:26 PM

New entries into the top ten for week ending 31 August 1991:

Gett Off by Prince and the New Power Generation - Prince was moving towards the end game in terms of being a continuous hit machine and the album from which this came, Diamonds and Pearls, was probably his last hurrah in terms of sales volumes. This is a typical pervy funk offering which introduced the voice of Rosie Gaines.

Sunshine On A Rainy Day by Zoe - One hit wonder, another of those tracks that you'll only hear on Absolute Radio 90s these days. Big shouty chorus but unmemorable really.

I'll Be Back by Arnee and the Terminators - A novelty cash in on the summer's big movie, Terminator 2. A complete pile of junk, I have a horrid feeling Steve Wright was somehow involved?

Happy Together by Jason Donovan - Another lame cover from Jason, it was becoming time for him to check out of his teen pop career and reinvent himself as a star of west end musicals. Dreadful stuff.

Grim Reaper 30-08-2021 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15975869)
New entries into the top ten for week ending 31 August 1991:

Gett Off by Prince and the New Power Generation - Prince was moving towards the end game in terms of being a continuous hit machine and the album from which this came, Diamonds and Pearls, was probably his last hurrah in terms of sales volumes. This is a typical pervy funk offering which introduced the voice of Rosie Gaines.

Sunshine On A Rainy Day by Zoe - One hit wonder, another of those tracks that you'll only hear on Absolute Radio 90s these days. Big shouty chorus but unmemorable really.

I'll Be Back by Arnee and the Terminators - A novelty cash in on the summer's big movie, Terminator 2. A complete pile of junk, I have a horrid feeling Steve Wright was somehow involved?

Happy Together by Jason Donovan - Another lame cover from Jason, it was becoming time for him to check out of his teen pop career and reinvent himself as a star of west end musicals. Dreadful stuff.

Love your memory jogging posts.

Prince - "23 positions in a one night stand" was one lyric. Jesus - think I'm struggling to make double figures total in the 30 years since. Those girls in the video!! :love::love: (Note - was 30 years ago - they might not be as hot as I remember if I watch it now)

Zoe - harmless catchy pop. Perfect for the time :p

The Arnee song - another one I recorded off the Top 40 and then would be embarrassed by when it came round on the tape years later. See also The Stonk from spring of this year for similar reaction. Funnily enough I remember Steve Wright for this as well. Used to have Radio 1 on where I worked and he played it every day but as to whether he was 'involved' I'm not sure. Maybe he simply gave it enough airplay to get sales started and into he charts like Jackie Brambles did with Cuddly Toy, Roachford a few years before (and for which I'll always lover her!)

No recollection of this Jason song. Funny how Rick Astley tried a post-SAW comeback around this time and failed (shame as Move Right Out was a good song.) Both had been A-List pop stars just two years before - both now faded. Nearly as quick to fade as most of the recent X Factor winners!

Bipe 30-08-2021 08:04 PM

I looked up Arnee and The Terminators - turns out the song was co-written and produced by one of Steve Wright's Radio 1 'posse', hence why he played the damn thing endlessly I suppose. So in a way we were both right. Or wrong.

I also watched the first minute of the Zoe video on Youtube for research purposes...confirmed my recollection that poor Zoe with her dyed blonde hair and black eyebrows didn't quite pull it off so to speak. Certainly no Cathy Dennis or Maxine from The KLF. I bet she is gutted about that. Also reminded me that the song is built on a shameless lift of the Soul II Soul patented shuffly drum loop.

bubbs11 30-08-2021 09:33 PM

PALACE 2. Thomas. Wright
SHEFF U 1 Hodges

https://s9.gifyu.com/images/984B52A6...B53BB34.md.jpg

https://s9.gifyu.com/images/65B32A8B...586046C.md.jpg

https://s9.gifyu.com/images/B9D08FC1...1F51F2C.md.jpg

https://s9.gifyu.com/images/249986DF...AED5EC8.md.jpg
https://s9.gifyu.com/images/2515288E...7D8AB9F.md.jpg

https://s9.gifyu.com/images/7157B314...0F0693D.md.jpg

https://s9.gifyu.com/images/6D407F6A...D8FCAF9B2F.jpg

https://s9.gifyu.com/images/41C36F30...9F3AD85.md.jpg

https://s9.gifyu.com/images/705C627C...B00B7B8.md.jpg

https://s9.gifyu.com/images/983D73C1...CC9C00B.md.jpg

Goals at 7:15

Bipe 31-08-2021 08:52 AM

This was one of the few games I attended in 1991/92 and I remember it quite vividly. Quite a hot sunny day, the Blades rocked up in their day-glo yellow kit which was quite a sight in the bright late summer sunshine.

In truth a very lucky win, Sheffield United were the better team for most of the game and we huffed and puffed without much impact before somehow pulling those two late goals out of the bag. It should be said that Glyn Hodges absolutely ran the show for them and was by far the best player on the pitch, capped off by a wonderful curling goal which I was directly in line with stood on the Holmesdale. As noted in the match report he played in a floating role behind the front two, very different to his limited appearances for us when he was shoved out on the wing in a very rigid formation. Clearly Dave Bassett was a manager he knew and trusted from his Wimbledon days so they thrived together.

As we mentioned on the 1990/91 thread last year, Hodges was definitely not a bad player, just a very bad fit for us and a somewhat baffling signing from Coppell. Looking at Wikipedia, I am reminded that he had a similarly brief and unhappy spell at Newcastle a few years prior to us, which Bassett again rescued him from when at Watford. Interestingly his transfer fee for the Blades was part-funded by their version of Lifeline, i.e. the fans stumped up the cash.

Bipe 31-08-2021 08:57 AM

Looking at the league table, we had two games in hand on most of the others due to our late start. A win in just one of them would put us right in and around the top sides, so the season was starting well again not withstanding that unlucky defeat to Man City in the opening game. Interesting to note that Man Utd and Leeds were the only two unbeaten teams after 5 games, stark contrast to the previous season when us, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs all remained unbeaten well into late autumn. Luton really struggling at the bottom, just 1 goal scored and 11 conceded in their opening 5 games (although weirdly 4 of those had been away from home).

JJ 31-08-2021 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 15977147)
This was one of the few games I attended in 1991/92 and I remember it quite vividly. Quite a hot sunny day, the Blades rocked up in their day-glo yellow kit which was quite a sight in the bright late summer sunshine.

I think their day-glo yellow kit was the season before. As per the pictures above, they wore white in 91-92.

Bipe 31-08-2021 09:22 AM

I obviously didn't remember it as vividly as I thought then! Thanks for the correction.

Grim Reaper 31-08-2021 09:27 AM

Classic Palace of 1991 - not entirely convincing yet chalked up another 2-1 win, just as we'd done several times earlier in the year (note, I think it might have only been only three but as those three were all in a row in March, I've got it in my head every game was a 2-1 win in '91!)

Two things stand out to me from this game

1. That team always made you think it could come back. So much heart and no little skill. And this was a classic example. Sheer will was enough to get the win when we really didn't deserve it.

2. Sheffield's goalie caught the ball, dribbled it out of the area, then quickly retreated and picked it back up when Brighty chased him down. The ref was blind to this but Brighty knew the rules and clearly lost his shit and explained what the law of the game was. The ref acknowledged Brighty was right and Palace got a free kick on the edge of the box. Nothing came of it but I always loved Brighty for that - having the energy to pressure the goalie in the first place and then literally teaching the ref the law of the game to get us the free kick!