CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Gary Lineker Just Now On MoTD (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=248686)

Ardent Eagle Forever 02-01-2015 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chobham Eagle (Post 12151221)
Haven't watched MOTD yet but did Savage actually say that WBA were 'safe' now Pulis was in charge? If so, what an idiot. This mythical status that Pulis seems to have adopted is based on nine months success at the Palace. He certainly wasn't regarded in this way during the rest of his managerial career. I'd laugh like stink if WBA go down - and not only because it will make pundits like Savage seem complete idiots.

Pulis has to fail sometime. He's one poor season away from relegation and the myth will be blown.:p

Ardent Eagle Forever 02-01-2015 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle (Post 12151263)
One of the more intelligent observations on TalkSport, was about WBA's end of season run-in. It was Norwich-esque and makes me feel a little more at ease about our run in now.

WBA have 18 games left. Their last 5 games are:-

Liverpool (h),
Man Utd
Newcastle
Chelsea (h)
Arsenal

Now we all know Pulis helped Palace get 4 points out of that lot last season, but IMO, they need to be safe before those final 5 games. In other words something like 20 points of of the next 13 games. Big ask.

As do we before our last 4 games.:(

Chris Leitch 02-01-2015 02:59 PM

I actually think this whole attitude of "if Pulis is in charge, we will be safe" is something which will be of detriment to West Brom's season which will end in relegation. When Pulis took charge of Palace the whole task to keep us up was described as impossible. The areas to improve were clearly made and that was extreme hard work from the players and organisation on/off the pitch. Everybody bought into that idea, and everybody knew it would still be a struggle to stay up even with the new manager coming in. Last year was a fantastic achievement but it was only made possible by the players putting in the hours.

While I think Pulis will bring his micro-management organisational skills to West Brom, I think pundits, fans and (hopefully) the West Brom players will be a bit deluded in the idea that just having Pulis there means that the hard work aspect is not required as much. There is this idea that people seem to think they are safe before they have even kicked a ball under his management - so this is set up nicely to come back to haunt them!

Chobham Eagle 02-01-2015 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maestro (Post 12151651)
How would that work though? I was thinking about it and its a can of worms

Who would call for the replays?

It would certainly need to be thought through very carefully but I don't think football can just carry on like this when week in week out referees and linos are shown to be making really bad game-changing decisions.

I don't think refs are any worse now than they were in the 'old days' but back then you couldn't watch every refereeing decision in slo-mo on the TV.

elgin eagle 02-01-2015 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Leitch (Post 12151765)
I actually think this whole attitude of "if Pulis is in charge, we will be safe" is something which will be of detriment to West Brom's season which will end in relegation. When Pulis took charge of Palace the whole task to keep us up was described as impossible. The areas to improve were clearly made and that was extreme hard work from the players and organisation on/off the pitch. Everybody bought into that idea, and everybody knew it would still be a struggle to stay up even with the new manager coming in. Last year was a fantastic achievement but it was only made possible by the players putting in the hours.

While I think Pulis will bring his micro-management organisational skills to West Brom, I think pundits, fans and (hopefully) the West Brom players will be a bit deluded in the idea that just having Pulis there means that the hard work aspect is not required as much. There is this idea that people seem to think they are safe before they have even kicked a ball under his management - so this is set up nicely to come back to haunt them!

It would be very funny to see Dawson in tears on the last day, but I just can't see it. Pulis will ensure that there are 3 worse sides than them, and there are.

Pardew just has to ensure that he does the same, the joke will feel very hollow if they go down and we do as well. Need to get back to winning ways fast though.

orp pisshead1 02-01-2015 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 917L (Post 12151080)
True, but mainly because they will just pay off another opposition goalkeeper, like they did when they should have been relegated last time

:):veryangry

maestro 02-01-2015 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1_Neil_Warnock (Post 12151698)
I think it would be possible to have appeals when the ball goes out of play. For example, McArthur's goal at Man City could have been appealed considering there was a stoppage for the 'offside' anyway. It is hard to know where to draw the line but with decisions of such important being proven wrong seconds later through tv replays it is very frustrating.

But then you could have a situation where we score a goal only for the opposition manager to say 4 minutes ago there was a foul on his player if the ball doesnt go out of play.

I just cant think of a good system apart from possible where the ref refers things himself like in Rugby or where the video referee acts like another assistant to flag up any major errors that involve goals, sending off offences etc.

RazorsEdge 02-01-2015 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elgin eagle (Post 12151118)
I think the top gear presenters could do a better job with motd tbh ;)

I agree

SussexRed&Blue 02-01-2015 09:59 PM

Think more technology needs to be brought in to assist the officials bearing in mind that decisions could cost clubs millions of pounds by losing their place in the Premier League.

At present with goaline technology the referees get notified if the ball crosses the goal line by buzzing on their watches.

As others have said this would have to be carefully thought through with all different types of scenarios that could occur but maybe each Manager could have say 3 challenges per match.

Each Manager notify a challenge to the referee which would send a signal straight to his watch like the goal line technology. The only problem is when the play gets pulled up which would have to be thought through.

Arron 02-01-2015 10:09 PM

Sod this challenges malarkey, just accept that referees and linesmen are human and are going to make mistakes. Let's be honest, in most games they make far fewer than the players they are officiating over.

cpfc4evandeva 02-01-2015 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arron (Post 12152603)
Sod this challenges malarkey, just accept that referees and linesmen are human and are going to make mistakes. Let's be honest, in most games they make far fewer than the players they are officiating over.

Agree with this. Although equally when they make such unbelievable glaring errors (such as Liverpool's first penalty), I do think they should be reprimanded.

danpalace07 02-01-2015 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arron (Post 12152603)
Sod this challenges malarkey, just accept that referees and linesmen are human and are going to make mistakes. Let's be honest, in most games they make far fewer than the players they are officiating over.

Without sounding like our now ex manager, I would now be OK with replays in football after seeing some of the penalties we weren't given (Zaha at WBA, Campbell vs Sunderland)

Kent-eagle 03-01-2015 01:58 PM

Technology is an absolute necessity for not only the tough decisions, but also the inept quality of today's officials. In any other workplace this continued inability to do your job properly would have only one outcome, the sack.

Kent-eagle 03-01-2015 02:00 PM

And Zaha v QPHAHA

Gooders 03-01-2015 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Leitch (Post 12151765)
I actually think this whole attitude of "if Pulis is in charge, we will be safe" is something which will be of detriment to West Brom's season which will end in relegation. When Pulis took charge of Palace the whole task to keep us up was described as impossible. The areas to improve were clearly made and that was extreme hard work from the players and organisation on/off the pitch. Everybody bought into that idea, and everybody knew it would still be a struggle to stay up even with the new manager coming in. Last year was a fantastic achievement but it was only made possible by the players putting in the hours.

While I think Pulis will bring his micro-management organisational skills to West Brom, I think pundits, fans and (hopefully) the West Brom players will be a bit deluded in the idea that just having Pulis there means that the hard work aspect is not required as much. There is this idea that people seem to think they are safe before they have even kicked a ball under his management - so this is set up nicely to come back to haunt them!

They have a very easy looking fixture list for the next 10 weeks or so.

Alex-G 03-01-2015 05:18 PM

Tony Pulis is not our manager any longer, so why discuss his ability or lack of? Alan Pardew is our man FFS.

Kent-eagle 04-01-2015 02:08 AM

We ain't going anywhere. Time for a bit of Karma to come & slap Pulis round the ear. With regard to crowd reaction when he comes back to SP, silence is golden. Ignore the prick.

TheCharmer 04-01-2015 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex-G (Post 12153991)
Tony Pulis is not our manager any longer, so why discuss his ability or lack of? Alan Pardew is our man FFS.

the pulis haters are obsessive and can't let go thats why. :clown:

Golf Boy 04-01-2015 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCharmer (Post 12154712)
the pulis haters are obsessive and can't let go thats why. :clown:

I'm not a hater, but would LOL if West Brom went down.

Golf Boy 04-01-2015 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SussexRed&Blue (Post 12152593)
Think more technology needs to be brought in to assist the officials bearing in mind that decisions could cost clubs millions of pounds by losing their place in the Premier League.

h.

Someone is giving them all lots of money to play football. Why does this mean they suddenly have a right to have more money spent on other things? Perhaps all the players should donate 20% of their wages and the money spent on better technology for refs.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.