CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

Tim 11-09-2017 11:04 AM

Should of saved the money & put it towards a striker..

mroakley9 11-09-2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 13837542)
Should of saved the money & put it towards a striker..

have

nickchev 11-09-2017 11:27 AM

I thought he looked lively and keen to get involved after he came on versus Burnley. The fact he is young,versatile and has shown glimpses of his ability looks a positive to me.

glaziers fan 11-09-2017 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchev (Post 13837739)
I thought he looked lively and keen to get involved after he came on versus Burnley. The fact he is young,versatile and has shown glimpses of his ability looks a positive to me.

Yes, i think he is going to be a good player for us.

spt1978 11-09-2017 11:37 AM

Back at Ajax for a cut price fee by 1 Jan would be my bet.

sky dancer 11-09-2017 11:59 AM

I think he showed potential during his ten minutes in the midfield against Burnley. I think, well hope, he can make it in England as a ball playing DM in the Michael Carrick mould.

Richwak 11-09-2017 12:01 PM

Why is this even a question, just because the manager leaves doesn't mean no future for the player he signed. Looked sharp yesterday, will be important for us.

RisZero 11-09-2017 12:05 PM

He has been proper Martin Kelly'd

Owngoal 11-09-2017 12:14 PM

He looked good in his sub appearance and will make it as a midfielder as he can certainly pass the ball better than our current captain

Mictor Voses 11-09-2017 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owngoal (Post 13838035)
He looked good in his sub appearance and will make it as a midfielder as he can certainly pass the ball better than our current captain

Agreed. Actually passed it forwards with some purpose which was quite refreshing I thought.

Leopald Stotch 11-09-2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zohar's Penalty (Post 13837497)
Spare a thought for him. Frank's only signing, sat in Croydon on his tod in wondering what he's doing here.

Mate, you make it sound like he's holed up in some Fort Neaf B'n'B! I would imagine that his bank balance provides him with some comfort.

PauLo 11-09-2017 12:31 PM

I dunno if some of you know, but money isn't the root of all happiness. Just because someone has a lot of money doesn't make them happy.

AJ 11-09-2017 12:47 PM

I thought he looked positive, but came on about 30 minutes too late.

NickinOx 11-09-2017 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky dancer (Post 13837962)
I think he showed potential during his ten minutes in the midfield against Burnley. I think, well hope, he can make it in England as a ball playing DM in the Michael Carrick mould.

He looked good there, and a couple of the scouting websites linked on here said that was his best position.

MFBias 11-09-2017 01:00 PM

Has a chance to establish himself in the Premier League, if he is liked by the new manager, why wouldnt he stay? I think he looked good yesterday.

Mad Raschic Ken 11-09-2017 01:27 PM

On very limited evidence he looks like he would make an excellent midfield player and, in the Premier League at least, a pretty poor central defender. I really liked the look of him yesterday and I think he can provide stiff competition for Luka.

Kai 11-09-2017 04:53 PM

Made one awful pass yesterday but looked decent in his limited time. At least he passed the ball forward at times

Chas 11-09-2017 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mroakley9 (Post 13837555)
have

No, we haven't. We only have Benteke.

Excowboy 11-09-2017 06:13 PM

He's played as a DM before. If we play a system with one man protecting the back four, he could be a good understudy for Milivojevic. His attributes seem to suit the position better than CB in English football.

cantspell 12-09-2017 10:13 AM

Kept showing for the ball when he came on which shows he can play as a midfielder

Mr Palace 12-09-2017 10:15 AM

Let's not write him off - I think he'll be an asset for us. It was just a bad mistake to plunge him in at the deep end during the opening game of the season.

Sydenham Eagle 12-09-2017 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Palace (Post 13840970)
Let's not write him off - I think he'll be an asset for us. It was just a bad mistake to plunge him in at the deep end during the opening game of the season.

At the deep end? - we were playing Huddersfield!

bigend1 12-09-2017 10:36 AM

I think this season he'll be valuable cover for Luka and our cbs

Kinda tough on the guy. He's been signed into a shower of shit and probably comes with all sorts of ties to frank that people will assume he's toast now frank has gone.

Sounds like he was bullied by frank along with Kelly, ward and Delaney despite being his first signing so this poor guy has probably had the most ****ed up experience of any and yet will be written off as a frank guy!

Let the dust settle and see what an independent new manager makes of him. He's young and talented so let's jut give him a chance

whereEaglesFly 12-09-2017 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sydenham Eagle (Post 13840987)

Which is the sort of attitude that gets you spanked 3-0

Mr Palace 12-09-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sydenham Eagle (Post 13840987)

In a new system, alongside another rookie in TFM and in a back three that he hadn't played with. In a new country and a new, much faster and powerful league. I'd call that being thrown in at the deep down.

I think he'll come good.

Yoda 12-09-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whereEaglesFly (Post 13841048)
Which is the sort of attitude that gets you spanked 3-0

Quite.

I've seen several sneery comments about Huddersfield, as if they're a non-league team and 'beneath' us.

They were promoted from a v competitive league and were always going to be a potential banana skin opponent.

When the season starts, they've as much right to be in the Prem as us. They might well struggle later once their first 11 have injuries and suspensions, but until then they should have been viewed with more respect.

Owngoal 12-09-2017 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigend1 (Post 13841040)

Kinda tough on the guy. He's been signed into a shower of shit and probably comes with all sorts of ties to frank that people will assume he's toast now frank has gone.

Sounds like he was bullied by frank along with Kelly, ward and Delaney despite being his first signing so this poor guy has probably had the most ****ed up experience of any and yet will be written off as a frank guy!

Let the dust settle and see what an independent new manager makes of him. He's young and talented so let's jut give him a chance

He will be a success in his career - only 20 and talented. Some on here are insane

Alexc26 12-09-2017 10:49 AM

I'm sure it will take a bit of time for him to adjust to the Premier League, I mean when we bought Souare his first game for us he gave away a penalty and didn't look that great for the next few games, took him a bit of time to get up to speed, I imagine the same thing for Jairo as well.

NickinOx 12-09-2017 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 13841072)
Quite.

I've seen several sneery comments about Huddersfield, as if they're a non-league team and 'beneath' us.

They were promoted from a v competitive league and were always going to be a potential banana skin opponent.

When the season starts, they've as much right to be in the Prem as us. They might well struggle later once their first 11 have injuries and suspensions, but until then they should have been viewed with more respect.

And Hull should not have been allowed to beat Leicester last season, or Burnley to beat Liverpool last year: let alone our shock results after frightful performances against the likes of Sunderland and Swansea, etc.

When I saw the fixture list, I thought we'd get stuffed. We often seem to do poorly going into a new season, and newly promoted teams are often well up for it.

WorthingEagle 12-09-2017 11:03 AM

I don't think it really mattered who we played on that first day, we weren't ready and any half-decent side would have turned us over. True it might be better to play a promoted side after a few months when they've taken a few batterings, but whoever you play on the first game of the season is highly likely to be prepared, up for it and full of hope. It's up to you to be just as prepared and up for it, and we weren't.

It's still largely the same group of players that had a negative goal difference in the Championship, fell away badly in the last two months of the season and basically tripped and stumbled into the Premier League, just as we did.

glaziers fan 12-09-2017 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excowboy (Post 13839434)
He's played as a DM before. If we play a system with one man protecting the back four, he could be a good understudy for Milivojevic. His attributes seem to suit the position better than CB in English football.

Very limited time to make an assessment, but I actually think he is already on a par with Milivojevic, apart from the obvious experience. I think he will end up being better than Milivojevic, and that the DM role will be his position. Good passer, more mobile than LM and technically decent. What's not to like.

NickinOx 12-09-2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorthingEagle (Post 13841108)
I don't think it really mattered who we played on that first day, we weren't ready and any half-decent side would have turned us over. True it might be better to play a promoted side after a few months when they've taken a few batterings, but whoever you play on the first game of the season is highly likely to be prepared, up for it and full of hope. It's up to you to be just as prepared and up for it, and we weren't.

Exactly, and we often aren't. Again, I think that speaks to underlying issues rather than simply being down to the manager.

glenn.f 12-09-2017 11:11 AM

He's a Palace player first and foremost and a Dutch international to boot, can play in numerous different positions and could very easily, with those sort of credentials, be an excellent acquisition for us. Deserves our backing every time he pulls on a shirt.

Stinger1 12-09-2017 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenn.f (Post 13841128)
He's a Palace player first and foremost and a Dutch international to boot, can play in numerous different positions and could very easily, with those sort of credentials, be an excellent acquisition for us. Deserves our backing every time he pulls on a shirt.

My end up being the one positive part of FdB's legacy if he turns into a top player and we sell him for 50 million.

cpfcfan1 12-09-2017 11:16 AM

Will be sold in January I reckon

mylona 12-09-2017 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpfcfan1 (Post 13841141)
Will be sold in January I reckon

I suspect a return to Holland for a cut price fee could happen.

Mr Palace 12-09-2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glaziers fan (Post 13841111)
Very limited time to make an assessment, but I actually think he is already on a par with Milivojevic, apart from the obvious experience. I think he will end up being better than Milivojevic, and that the DM role will be his position. Good passer, more mobile than LM and technically decent. What's not to like.

That's a big claim based on very little evidence so far. I think Riedewald will come good but he will do well to surpass the player Luka is.

Oisin 12-09-2017 12:34 PM

One of only two players in the squad who can play defensive midfield, a position where you get suspensions. Let's wait a few months to decide he is ****.

glaziers fan 12-09-2017 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oisin (Post 13841325)
One of only two players in the squad who can play defensive midfield, a position where you get suspensions. Let's wait a few months to decide he is ****.

It's great to have two. 9 months ago we didn't have one!

Nostrils 12-09-2017 12:37 PM

Why would selling him make any sense to either party? Young, versatile with potential that's trying to push his way into the team - perfect for us. He's also likely to be earning more than in Holland (which is a short flight away) and if he applies himself could really make a name for himself. He doesn't need FdB holding his hand either.

eagle-leg 12-09-2017 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostrils (Post 13841338)
Why would selling him make any sense to either party? Young, versatile with potential that's trying to push his way into the team - perfect for us. He's also likely to be earning more than in Holland (which is a short flight away) and if he applies himself could really make a name for himself. He doesn't need FdB holding his hand either.

This. If hes a decent player he'll do well.

At the moment i would suggest it makes more sense to use him in midfield.

Get him on the weights though and he might make a decent centre half.

Also needs time to adjust to the pace of the game in England. Thats why it didnt make sense FDB chucking him in at the deep end against Huddersfield.

Tim 12-09-2017 01:44 PM

He'll be back in Holland as soon as the window opens.

CP Satellite 13-09-2017 01:29 PM

Valerien Ismale Mkll.

Payroll Legend 13-09-2017 01:30 PM

We don't know yet do we.

JamTheEagle 13-09-2017 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 13841072)
Quite.

They were organised before the season started, for the fourth consecutive year - we were not.

PauLo 14-09-2017 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylona (Post 13841149)
I suspect a return to Holland for a cut price fee could happen.

Why? He played a full year without de Boer at Ajax. He's still playing in a team that plays in one of the biggest leagues in the world. He's probably earning a good deal more than he'd get back in Holland too. He's also played one full game (where everyone was bad) and 10 minutes where he looked useful, albeit for a short amount of time (wayward pass aside). Why on earth would we then sell him and for less than we bought him for?

alexcpfc 14-09-2017 11:30 AM

Jairo is a good player more suited to the DM role in my opinion. Let him and Luka fight it out. We have competition for that place.

Martin H 14-09-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexcpfc (Post 13845140)
Jairo is a good player more suited to the DM role in my opinion. Let him and Luka fight it out. We have competition for that place.

I can see Roy playing with 2 DMs, especially against the bigger clubs and so he should get a chance. Roy handled Dier very well and will recognise that in Jairo if it's there.

alexcpfc 14-09-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 13845144)
I can see Roy playing with 2 DMs, especially against the bigger clubs and so he should get a chance. Roy handled Dier very well and will recognise that in Jairo if it's there.

Will be an interesting option when needed. We have plenty of competition for places apart from GK, ST and maybe the wingers so all is not lost. Still think we have decent side and it is a simple case of Back to Basics and do what were good at.

Tomo 14-09-2017 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Palace (Post 13841287)
That's a big claim based on very little evidence so far. I think Riedewald will come good but he will do well to surpass the player Luka is.

I love Luka as much as the next man, hes undoubtedly good, but weve seen some weaknesses in his game this season (which is probably down to FdB), but we saw similar last year after hed played a few games, that mistakes can creep in, particularly once he played a few games on the trot. Im sure Riewdewald could be on par with him.

T.C. 14-09-2017 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexcpfc (Post 13845140)
Jairo is .... more suited to the DM role in my opinion

Based on?

He looks nothing like tough enough to me.

CharlieCPFC 14-09-2017 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.C. (Post 13845566)
Based on?

You don't necessarily need to be a complete destroyer to play there, Luka is hardly the most physical presence. If he can read the game defensively and have composure in possession he could well be very effective there.

Owngoal 14-09-2017 04:12 PM

Quote:

Based on?

Some of the toughest players looked like butter wouldn't melt in their mouths.

Nostrils 14-09-2017 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 13845144)

Agree, also having a DM in there that's not scared to pass the ball forward will be a huge bonus. Honestly think that wayward pass was nerves after the Huddersfield game, I think it may have been his first touch.

16eagles 14-09-2017 07:51 PM

I know they are both left footed but I would have him centre half with Sakho would complement each other well. Also thats his natural position. He has class you can see with his movement off the ball.

Mr Palace 14-09-2017 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomo (Post 13845156)
I love Luka as much as the next man, hes undoubtedly good, but weve seen some weaknesses in his game this season (which is probably down to FdB), but we saw similar last year after hed played a few games, that mistakes can creep in, particularly once he played a few games on the trot. Im sure Riewdewald could be on par with him.

FDB was awful with Luka - playing him as a centre back in pre season and then in a midfield two with a back 5. He hung him out to dry and hen stupidly dropped him against Burnley. It's one of many examples of awful man management from FDB. Let's not forget that Luka was a major reason we stayed up. I think he will get back to fill form under Hodgson who will hopefully play him his best position.

DARZET EAGLE 14-09-2017 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owngoal (Post 13845572)
Some of the toughest players looked like butter wouldn't melt in their mouths.

Years ago Chelsea's Ron 'chopper' Harris certainly melted a lot of butter.

sydnsteve 14-09-2017 08:03 PM

Absolutely impossible to give an opinion on him yet

Stavros 69 14-09-2017 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sydnsteve (Post 13845890)
Absolutely impossible to give an opinion on him yet

This
Can't believe people are writing him off yet

Krise 14-09-2017 08:16 PM

Roy Hodgson used to play Brede Hangeland as a defensive midfielder while manager at Viking. I'm pretty sure he will see young Riedewald as a defensive midfielder for now.

Silks&Tekkers 14-09-2017 08:18 PM

Quote:

Based on?

2 of the best DM's in years have been Kante & Makelele and they aren't big units.

sydnsteve 14-09-2017 08:36 PM

It is odd that Luka has looked nothing like the player of last season, talking about defensive midst. I read somewhere before we bought him that his career has been very up and down. How did he play for Serbia?

CharlieCPFC 14-09-2017 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sydnsteve (Post 13845953)
It is odd that Luka has looked nothing like the player of last season, talking about defensive midst. I read somewhere before we bought him that his career has been very up and down. How did he play for Serbia?

Are you surprised when he's been playing out of position? He done alright for Serbia keeping their good form going. I'm sure Roy will get the best out of him no doubt.

thereichstuff 14-09-2017 08:55 PM

Quote:

Up I believe .

DARZET EAGLE 14-09-2017 09:42 PM

Quote:

Suitable for the Palace rollercoaster then.:p

Maiden Eagle 14-09-2017 09:50 PM

Quote:

I actually think his form dipped towards the end of last season. Pretty awful against Burnley at SP last season, when he made errors for both their goals and also very poor, in the next game at the Etihad (TBF not the only one).
Perhaps he is a confidence player ?

CaptainCharisma 14-09-2017 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maiden Eagle (Post 13846056)
I actually think his form dipped towards the end of last season. Pretty awful against Burnley at SP last season, when he made errors for both their goals and also very poor, in the next game at the Etihad (TBF not the only one).
Perhaps he is a confidence player ?

Quality is the key. Luka was at his best with Sakho behind him and Cabaye in front of him. Sakho ran the defence with the safety of knowing that Luka would protect them. Cabaye was free to create because he knew he had Luka behind him. Luka did his best work because he could just get on with it, knowing the other areas were covered. It's no coincidence that his weaker performances at the end of the season and start of this have coincided with the absence of those two(as well as being played out of position this season)

palacemetros 14-09-2017 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigend1 (Post 13841040)

Sounds like he was bullied by frank along with Kelly, ward and Delaney

This made me laugh!

CharlieCPFC 30-09-2017 03:27 PM

Has done more in one minute of the game than what Puncheon done the 68.

Slimbloke'H' 30-09-2017 03:56 PM

Chose not to track Lukaku and allowed him a tap-in at the back post. Quality defending.

jobiinthelastmi 30-09-2017 03:57 PM

Waste of money.

Will be leaving in January.

Reg_Maudling 30-09-2017 04:58 PM

we are desperate and so some are looking to riedewald to be the premier league level of player he is not currently

Ralph 30-09-2017 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jobiinthelastmi (Post 13874154)
Waste of money.

Will be leaving in January.

That's the spirit.

glaziers fan 02-10-2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slimbloke'H' (Post 13874145)
Chose not to track Lukaku and allowed him a tap-in at the back post. Quality defending.

He was playing left midfield. It shouldn't be his job to track the best centre forward in the league.

Think Jairo Riedewald has a massive part to play this season. 100% passing accuracy after he came on, and looked to be positive too. I like him. I like him a lot as a midfielder.

TouchyAndalou 02-10-2017 02:22 PM

You could see the ability he has on the ball even in his short cameo against Man Utd, however he (along with PVA) made no effort whatsoever to get back and pick up Lukaku for their 4th goal, despite clearly having the opportunity to do so. This is a problem in a team fighting against relegation, even if the game was decided at that point.

It reminded me a bit of Holloway after he left highlighting Campana for literally just not bothering to mark his defensive assignment on corners, which resulted in us conceding goals.

spt1978 02-10-2017 02:24 PM

Riedewald will be a good player, just not for us.

TouchyAndalou 02-10-2017 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glaziers fan (Post 13877865)
He was playing left midfield. It shouldn't be his job to track the best centre forward in the league.

Think Jairo Riedewald has a massive part to play this season. 100% passing accuracy after he came on, and looked to be positive too. I like him. I like him a lot as a midfielder.

Our defense was carved open at that point, of course it's the responsibility of anybody who is able to pick up a dangerous goalscorer free in the box. "Meh, not my responsibility" isn't a favourable attitude in a team fighting relegation.

Harry Holmesdale 02-10-2017 02:31 PM

He looks more than decent on the ball and always wants the ball

Still too early to say either way but aged 20 there is a lot of development still there, under a decent settled coaching structure he should progress... probably not with us though!

aj4england 02-10-2017 02:46 PM

Should probably be starting in midfield. Composed on the ball.

Bryan 02-10-2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aj4england (Post 13878067)
Should probably be starting in midfield. Composed on the ball.

Agreed, him Luka and Cabaye/RLC for me.

Got to grasp any positives at the moment.

Once Wilf returns we have a team albeit very vulnerable to injuries. I just cant see why we keep buying players but cannot get to grips with providing adequate cover. Also, why the hell are all our players seemingly so vulnerable to injuries these past couple of years? Is it a new premier league tactic to try and injur opposition players?

Owngoal 02-10-2017 03:26 PM

Could turn out to be one hell of a player (20 FFS) and best passer of a ball at the club.

jimmy the gent 02-10-2017 03:30 PM

His lack of tracking back for Lukaku's goal was pathetic. Needs that sorted ASAP if he's ever going to make it in English football (or anywhere else for that matter). For a supposed defender, it was pretty unforgivable.

Martin H 02-10-2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TouchyAndalou (Post 13878044)
Our defense was carved open at that point, of course it's the responsibility of anybody who is able to pick up a dangerous goalscorer free in the box. "Meh, not my responsibility" isn't a favourable attitude in a team fighting relegation.

I agree that ideally he would have followed Lukaku but then Luka was just parallel too, ideally someone would have challenged Lukaku for the header, Ward would have read the ball and got to it first, Sakho would have closed down Martial (half hearted effort if you watch again) etc etc etc etc. It looks bad on the TV but it's not worth blowing out of proportion. It was a factor. TBH the back 4 seemed all over the place for that whole piece and the players just seemed to 'all shrug their shoulders' at the same moment.

jimmy the gent 02-10-2017 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 13878154)
I agree that ideally he would have followed Lukaku but then Luka was just parallel too, ideally someone would have challenged Lukaku for the header, Ward would have read the ball and got to it first, Sakho would have closed down Martial (half hearted effort if you watch again) etc etc etc etc. It looks bad on the TV but it's not worth blowing out of proportion. It was a factor. TBH the back 4 seemed all over the place for that whole piece and the players just seemed to 'all shrug their shoulders' at the same moment.

F*ck that. It's unacceptable not to track your marker, especially when he's the leagues top scorer! Seen this too often at Palace lately, Cabaye at fault vs Southampton. I cannot understand why a player just gives up like that. Unacceptable.

Lombardo's hair 02-10-2017 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy the gent (Post 13878213)
F*ck that. It's unacceptable not to track your marker, especially when he's the leagues top scorer! Seen this too often at Palace lately, Cabaye at fault vs Southampton. I cannot understand why a player just gives up like that. Unacceptable.

Oh dear. Let's bury a 20:year old midfielder for not busting a gut to stop a center forward who was left unmarked in an ocean if space by the back four! Especially as we were losing 3 0 at time. All his fault. FFS get real

Martin H 02-10-2017 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lombardo's hair (Post 13878229)
Oh dear. Let's bury a 20:year old midfielder for not busting a gut to stop a center forward who was left unmarked in an ocean if space by the back four! Especially as we were losing 3 0 at time. All his fault. FFS get real

agree.

Chris Finch 02-10-2017 04:43 PM

thought he looked very comfortable on the ball when he came on

cockles 02-10-2017 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owngoal (Post 13878136)
Could turn out to be one hell of a player (20 FFS) and best passer of a ball at the club.

21 yo, and passes to the keeper pollute passing stats making your assertion "best passer" invalid.

Would be nice if he could defend.

TouchyAndalou 02-10-2017 05:05 PM

Quote:

We don't need to bury him, we can just point out that this is not an attitude conducive to the relegation dogfight we find ourselves in. Is he the most to blame for that goal? Not by a long shot, but it's still reasonable to expect a fresh sub to make an effort in that situation, especially considering Roy's been talking about finding out who is up for the fight, wanting to see players continue to battle regardless of the scoreline, etc.

In contrast, against Huddersfield when we were already a couple of goals down (iirc), Dann made a mistake and gifted them a one on one opportunity on goal and TFM busted a gut to deny them that opportunity.

Having said that, hopefully it's just a one off and he can be counted on not to do that when a game is really on the line. Because I'd like to see Riedewald play as much as anyone. It was obvious when he came on that his ability on the ball is miles ahead of several of our players and I've been saying for years that we need to populate the team with better technical players if we're to have any chance if progressing.

jimmy the gent 02-10-2017 05:44 PM

Quote:

Where did i say a) it was 'all his fault', or b) bury him? He failed to track his runner and that isn't acceptable. He needs to be told that in no uncertain terms, if he's ever going to make it here. Would you not agree?

Martin H 02-10-2017 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TouchyAndalou (Post 13878305)
We don't need to bury him, we can just point out that this is not an attitude conducive to the relegation dogfight we find ourselves in. Is he the most to blame for that goal? Not by a long shot, but it's still reasonable to expect a fresh sub to make an effort in that situation, especially considering Roy's been talking about finding out who is up for the fight, wanting to see players continue to battle regardless of the scoreline, etc.

In contrast, against Huddersfield when we were already a couple of goals down (iirc), Dann made a mistake and gifted them a one on one opportunity on goal and TFM busted a gut to deny them that opportunity.

Having said that, hopefully it's just a one off and he can be counted on not to do that when a game is really on the line. Because I'd like to see Riedewald play as much as anyone. It was obvious when he came on that his ability on the ball is miles ahead of several of our players and I've been saying for years that we need to populate the team with better technical players if we're to have any chance if progressing.

The trouble here is that it's already blown out of proportion and if you watch that whole sequence get are about 5 players failing and his just happens to be the one being pointed out, I assume because if MOTD. For instance Luka is about 3 yards to his right but not a whisper. What was his excuse? And so on.

Your comment was correct and I am not suggesting you were wrong to post, more lamenting that he is now being fingered as the culprit when he was a bit player and if course it sticks because he is new, young and Dutch.

bodger 02-10-2017 06:02 PM

Very promising player.

Mr Palace 02-10-2017 06:02 PM

I think we need to go to two defensive midfielders screening the back four given our defensive woes. It would be good to give Riedewald a go alongside Luka for Chelsea at least. It's early days for him but he looks more suited to central midfield now but hopefully he will eventually become a very good centre back.

The other option might be to play him at left back given some less than impressive displays from PvA. I think Schlupp will eventually go to left back but I imagine he'll have to play further forward until we bring in reinforcements in January.

jimmy the gent 02-10-2017 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Palace (Post 13878416)

The other option might be to play him at left back given some less than impressive displays from PvA. I think Schlupp will eventually go to left back but I imagine he'll have to play further forward until we bring in reinforcements in January.

That's a good shout. Watching either the tin man and the lion (Sclupp and PVA) at LB is killing me this year.

Chris K 02-10-2017 06:48 PM

As a midfielder I think he looks promising

Jman 02-10-2017 07:20 PM

Agree him at left back with Timo on the right, Sahko and JT in the middle could be a decent back four

beef 02-10-2017 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris K (Post 13878490)
As a midfielder I think he looks promising

Definitely. Glad my prediction about him never playing for Palace again was wrong!

Battle EAGLE 02-10-2017 07:33 PM

We are gonna be fine.

elgin eagle 02-10-2017 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jman (Post 13878545)
Agree him at left back with Timo on the right, Sahko and JT in the middle could be a decent back four

Frees up our 3 left wing backs for other duties too.

beef 02-10-2017 07:46 PM

Really hope that PvA is dropped or put in midfield from now on. His defending is atrocious.