CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

Surrey Eagle 31-12-2017 04:07 PM

Played very well today. Deserves a run of games to become more comfortable and adjust. Still very young, I think he gave his all today. Good luck to the lad

CharlieCPFC 31-12-2017 04:09 PM

Pleased for him today, can't imagine how hard it'd be for someone of his age to come here because of a man who's mentored him for years to see him leave shortly afterwards. He's shown good character to keep his head down and have a go in the side.

Certainly showed today he can be a regular here for years to come, delighted with him myself.

Bo Jangles 31-12-2017 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celestial Empire (Post 13959702)
Riedewald and Fosu-Mensah will both get opportunities in the Christmas period when RH will need to rotate. Expect to see Sako reappear too.
Any sign of Darren Anderto... sorry, I mean Wickham ?? :rolleyes:

Wickham should be back early Feb.

Before injuring himself in his second game back.

eagles #1 31-12-2017 04:14 PM

Played really well I thought. Hope he continues like that.

Jon_C-Pal 31-12-2017 04:14 PM

Definitely more confident in CM but may be needed at CB with the injuries.

Chris K 31-12-2017 04:15 PM

I thought he was very good today, I hope he gets a run of games

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 31-12-2017 04:17 PM

Very pleasing to see him do well today. Looked awful in his appearances at the back and I was very critical not them but could be a real positive if he can build on today's performance in midfield. Would be a big boost if he can.

cranesparkeagle 31-12-2017 04:18 PM

Thought he was excellent today

in-exile 31-12-2017 04:20 PM

Wow fantastic .... A match for RLC on that display!

in-exile 31-12-2017 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyTKid (Post 14022759)
He has only just turned 21. Let that sink in. He will clearly become a very good player. If he had come through our academy everyone would be going mad for him.

Yep! :p

exiledeagle 31-12-2017 04:26 PM

Strange he must have played reasonably well as we restricted City . I just don't recall seeing or hearing his name too much from t6 coverage - unsung hero ? I hope he is a success here though .

Happy Arthur 31-12-2017 04:30 PM

Cheers frank!

HRP 31-12-2017 04:44 PM

Playing for a move in January

SussexRed&Blue 31-12-2017 04:48 PM

Good footballer did well today.

Nice to have him as Cabaye may leave in the summer.

Martin H 31-12-2017 04:51 PM

I was very impressed by the maturity of his performance. He at no point looked like a youngster playing one of his first full games in midfield and even more so bearing in mind who we were up against. He played a couple of really excellent passes turning defence into attack and you can see how quickly he thinks. Impressive and really pleased for him. He has got a lot of stick on here which I don't think he has deserved because of a poor decision in his first match. Hopefully we will see more of him because I think he looks like he will be a very good player. We need someone to push Luka hard for his place. Pretty sure when he is ready to play in the DM slot that his passing accuracy will pay off a lot.

in-exile 31-12-2017 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRP (Post 14022898)
Playing for a move in January

Didn't realise you were his agent.... Otherwise you're just making it up!

Eagle's Nest 31-12-2017 04:54 PM

This is not intended as a pun, but he did seem to read the game well at times.

Ridcully 31-12-2017 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SussexRed&Blue (Post 14022907)
Good footballer did well today.

Nice to have him as Cabaye may leave in the summer.

^^^^^^ this

Right now Iíd let RLC be the loan that goes back to get a striker.

Maidstonecpfc 31-12-2017 05:01 PM

Had a great game and will hopefully see a bit more of him. He had the highest pass completion rate in the Dutch league last season so can obviously play a bit.

SussexRed&Blue 31-12-2017 05:06 PM

He may need a bit more time to adapt to the pace and physical side of the English game but he is quick in thought and good passer of the ball and looks the part.

As others have said today didn't phase him at all against a really good City side.

gilesy14 31-12-2017 05:12 PM

We have a real player on our hands here. Can really play a part this season. So impressed with him today.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE 31-12-2017 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilesy14 (Post 14022984)
We have a real player on our hands here. Can really play a part this season. So impressed with him today.

In another universe, Wilf didn't get injured, we won a few of those four games under FDB, the experiment was given more time and Riedewald was part of a club looking now to open a new chapter in it's history with a young, progressive and globally recognized manager at it's helm.

chav_hater 31-12-2017 05:24 PM

Was excellent today.

Tim 31-12-2017 05:32 PM

Certainly didn’t put a foot wrong today but didn’t do anything spectacular. Certainly hasn’t done himself any harm though..

TheCharmer1 31-12-2017 05:34 PM

Means that RLC could play in the role cabaye occupied today, at some stage

Steve in Phoenix 31-12-2017 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 14023039)
Certainly didnít put a foot wrong today but didnít do anything spectacular. Certainly hasnít done himself any harm though..

You must have missed the 40 metre instant pass with the outside of his foot that sent Wilf through. Probably the best pass of the night.

Spindle 31-12-2017 05:39 PM

Could see it in the first game just how cool on the ball he was. Not anything more than an emergency CB I think at his tender age but a versatile squad player.

bradpitt 31-12-2017 05:43 PM

A brilliant performance considering he has been on the sidelines for months, one for the future without a doubt, probably the only good thing from FDB shitty legacy.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE 31-12-2017 05:43 PM

JR is hopefully giving us options across the midfield. Would be great if he was an able DM backup, where we are otherwise a little light. With luck, he's finding his feet in the Prem.

Thefunkymonk 31-12-2017 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilesy14 (Post 14022984)

Yep.. as I said a few pages back.. a few people with egg on there faces

Groinstrain 31-12-2017 05:47 PM

Have to say he was excellent today! My MoM....

SOUTHGATE EAGLE 31-12-2017 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradpitt (Post 14023075)
A brilliant performance considering he has been on the sidelines for months, one for the future without a doubt, probably the only good thing from FDB shitty legacy.

Hopefully we'll have a little more perspective on exactly what happened there. We didn't buy the players to immediately bring in the system attempted, didn't spend very big or very well in general, had crucial injuries and gave up on the whole shebang just when we might have been turning the corner ( the Burnley performance, especially in light of how they are doing, was superb ) and that was without key players. Still think we missed a trick on FDB and the chance to evolve the club.

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o 31-12-2017 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE (Post 14023102)
Hopefully we'll have a little more perspective on exactly what happened there. We didn't buy the players to immediately bring in the system attempted, didn't spend very big or very well in general, had crucial injuries and gave up on the whole shebang just when we might have been turning the corner ( the Burnley performance, especially in light of how they are doing, was superb ) and that was without key players. Still think we missed a trick on FDB and the chance to evolve the club.

Mmmm hope you're wearing your tin hat.
Anyway JR put in an impressive shift..considering he's hardly played.

PalaceForever 31-12-2017 06:14 PM

Pleased for JR. I’m sure today would’ve been a big confidence boost for him and we’ll need him in the second half of the season. I like it when players on the fringe of the first team like him and Kelly come in and show they can be relied on.

Isle of Wight 31-12-2017 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o (Post 14023152)
Mmmm hope you're wearing your tin hat.

Explosion emoji machine gun emoji hand grenade emoji nuclear bomb emoji

Hope it's got through the hat

SE5eagle 31-12-2017 06:18 PM

FDB was a f'knugget and reportedly fell out with Jairo just after signing him.

He was excellent today.

Heb 7:4 31-12-2017 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE (Post 14023027)
In another universe, Wilf didn't get injured, we won a few of those four games under FDB, the experiment was given more time and Riedewald was part of a club looking now to open a new chapter in it's history with a young, progressive and globally recognized manager at it's helm.

FdB was dogshit mate.

A mistake but one we hopefully rectified quickly enough

Nigelbrag 31-12-2017 06:52 PM

Unfortunately this lad has never been given a chance to prove his worth even if coming on as a sub, hopefully he will be used much more now. In him we have a good utility player can be a Left sided central defender or midfielder and is very calm on the ball yet only 21yrs old, so bags of improvement to come.

King William 31-12-2017 06:53 PM

Great performance ptoday. Defo should play the cup game.

In the league where would he fit in?

Mr Palace 31-12-2017 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE (Post 14023027)

Dear me. You are in dreamland. FDB was awful.

Stellavista 31-12-2017 06:54 PM

Quote:

Yeh, right.....

burgess hill 84 31-12-2017 07:01 PM

What with his and Fosu's performance today , you cold say we have found 2 more 1st team players we all thought were only gonna be used off the bench. What god takes away with 1 hand (Dann) he gives back with the other.

Green Bin 31-12-2017 07:08 PM

Quote:

Couldn't put it better myself...how anyone can write somebody off after 4 games, only one of which we lost badly, is beyond me. SP oversaw a very strange summer transfer window (again) that left us short in key areas (again). Jairo has the look of a decent player who could grow into an important role for us...again anyone who would write off a player that got to the Europa Cup final, has no sensible idea about football

spt1978 31-12-2017 07:34 PM

Really pleased for him.

Young player, moving countries and the manager who brought him in quickly sacked. Cannot have been easy.

spt1978 31-12-2017 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burgess hill 84 (Post 14023316)
What with his and Fosu's performance today , you cold say we have found 2 more 1st team players we all thought were only gonna be used off the bench. What god takes away with 1 hand (Dann) he gives back with the other.

None of FdB's signings have been bad to be fair.

stevedb55 31-12-2017 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalaceForever (Post 14023183)
Pleased for JR. Iím sure today wouldíve been a big confidence boost for him and weíll need him in the second half of the season. I like it when players on the fringe of the first team like him and Kelly come in and show they can be relied on.

Agree - I like the way Roy is keeping competition for places (even though some of it is forced by injuries) I think his man management is great, it does seem that the players who come in to cover are pushing hard for places in the first eleven and thats a positive. We are in good hands with the RH/RL pairing.

johnp 31-12-2017 09:52 PM

Quote:

I liked the way Ray Lewington went on to the pitch as they walked off at half time to praise them for their first half performances.

burgess hill 84 31-12-2017 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnp (Post 14023543)
I liked the way Ray Lewington went on to the pitch as they walked off at half time to praise them for their first half performances.

Me too mate. Says a lot about the spirit in the club at the moment.

palacelad197o 31-12-2017 10:05 PM

Quote:

And jairo deserves to start against Southampton

917L 31-12-2017 10:23 PM

Good for Riedewald but what on earth are the loonies on suggesting we shouldn't haves sacked FDB

Mentalists

PremierPalace 31-12-2017 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exiledeagle (Post 14022860)
Strange he must have played reasonably well as we restricted City . I just don't recall seeing or hearing his name too much from t6 coverage - unsung hero ? I hope he is a success here though .

Definitely kept them quiet defensively and was key to us keeping the ball when we did have it

PremierPalace 31-12-2017 11:02 PM

Quote:

He destroyed Kelly and Ward. The players clearly didnít like him. We were even more unfit after his preseason than after Pardewís the year before. We didnít sign the players for the system because that meant signing a completely new squad. He wasnít us, he didnít get it, Hodgson understands a club like ours.

Glɑzier 31-12-2017 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palacelad197o (Post 14023550)

Definitely tempting - a midfield of JR, macca and cabaye would be pretty decent and, crucially, fairly fresh for Tuesday. If Townsend plays with the amount of running he did I think I'll collapse with exhaustion on his behalf!

Lombardo's hair 31-12-2017 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glɑzier (Post 14023603)
Definitely tempting - a midfield of JR, macca and cabaye would be pretty decent and, crucially, fairly fresh for Tuesday. If Townsend plays with the amount of running he did I think I'll collapse with exhaustion on his behalf!

What about luka?

AJ's right boot 31-12-2017 11:33 PM

Welcome to the party Jairo, pleased for him. Deserves to keep his place.

PalaceForever 31-12-2017 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lombardo's hair (Post 14023622)
What about luka?

I read Luka covered the most distance of any player on the pitch (12.8km or something), he must be pretty tired.

Owngoal 31-12-2017 11:43 PM

To have been the best passer in the Dutch league means he must have something about him. Today he was up against some of the best midfielders in the world and looked comfortable. Would love to see our Man U loaned TFM bought from Man U by us. Jose wants ready made expensive players and could do with what we might pay as a down payment on some. Still not convinced by PVA because one good game does not make some of what we have seen before go. JR could turn into a very classy DM.

aj4england 31-12-2017 11:55 PM

very tidy midfielder , been suggesting for a while roy gives him a go . Did well

Vince Hilaire's Afro 01-01-2018 12:08 AM

My guess based on very little evidence is that JR has shown he has some silky passing skills that would fare well against teams that like to play, such as Man City. Whether he'd be as effective against ***** like Brighton, I'm not sure

cpfcben 01-01-2018 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 917L (Post 14023561)
Good for Riedewald but what on earth are the loonies on suggesting we shouldn't haves sacked FDB

Mentalists

FDB a bloke who didn't think Tomkins was good enough.

macstar 01-01-2018 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palacelad197o (Post 14023550)

his first start in ages...i guess he will be knackered.

aj4england 01-01-2018 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpfcben (Post 14023697)
FDB a bloke who didn't think Tomkins was good enough.

Tomkins is seriously approaching England form

Martin H 01-01-2018 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aj4england (Post 14023713)
Tomkins is seriously approaching England form

Playing well for us, no doubt, but it must be an awful long approach he is on. Let's just be content he is fit and playing at his best now for us. No need for any more than that.

JDawg 01-01-2018 03:14 AM

Quote:

It is Jan 1, or April 1?

Palace Yankee 01-01-2018 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spt1978 (Post 14023380)
None of FdB's signings have been bad to be fair.

Maybe he's more a director of football, scouting than a coach. I wish he'd have panned out but his record trends toward losses as a manager but obviously has a keen eye for talent.

Hedgehog 01-01-2018 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macstar (Post 14023701)

Pretty much says this on the Palace Members site interview.

SuttonExile 01-01-2018 06:34 AM

He's got bags of potential I really hope we keep him, Premier League or Championship this boy will be class for us.

Timbo 01-01-2018 06:58 AM

encouraged by the positive reviews for JR!

philsick 01-01-2018 09:21 AM

Such a mature performance from a 21 yr old against the best midfield in football right now. If cabaye leaves in the summer, which we should do everything to avoid, we have someone with similar attributes to step in imo.

Bankerhater1 01-01-2018 09:31 AM

I too thought he did well .... We were talking though about when to use players like this .... he played well against class (City), but perhaps was not previously ready for getting kicked up in the air against the likes of Stoke and Huddersfield, etc .... Maybe Roy is developing him as he goes, given JR's relative youth. If he isn't completely knackered it seems that a bench place at Soton would fit this pattern ...... (Probably already all been said - but I've just woken up ...) ..!

Se9 eagles 01-01-2018 09:43 AM

Was superb in that role in front of the back 4.In that position he can be a real asset to us.

Nth Kent Eagle 01-01-2018 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macstar (Post 14023701)

He looked very tired towards the end. Hardly surprising given his lack of first team football. Still, he is young so will recover quickly and will almost certainly play some part at Southampton.

hihi 01-01-2018 11:23 AM

I didn't think he was all that good. He gave de Bruyne far too much space and was never aware where he was.

Lombardo's hair 01-01-2018 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hihi (Post 14024090)
I didn't think he was all that good. He gave de Bruyne far too much space and was never aware where he was.

Shut up

red&blue_moomin 01-01-2018 11:34 AM

He made a lot of tackles that retained the ball and then passed it off to a palace player. Lukas understudy given time nurturing and patience. Young players are inconsistent and get bullied by older 'physical' players. I'm glad Roy knows this and hasn't ditched him like some on here would have.

thereichstuff 01-01-2018 11:36 AM

Quote:

Nice effort .

AJ 01-01-2018 11:42 AM

Quote:

Tell me a player who doesn't?

PALACEWU 01-01-2018 11:53 AM

Quote:

What a thing to say, we are the only team in the PL to stop Man City scoring, literally everyone is exempt from criticism. Especially those that played their first game for us.

BringbackShipps 01-01-2018 11:56 AM

There's a good PL player in there with time and he is also versatile, happy to have him in and around the squad. And unlike RLC/TFM actually belongs to us.

Panther 01-01-2018 12:04 PM

Quote:

Iím not sure that was all down to JR, but De Bruyne was constantly in acres of space, particularly in the first half. Overall I thought JR had an energetic and committed game. Certainly now seen as a good option in midfield.

dilem 01-01-2018 05:42 PM

Yeah hope we give him more chances, classy player.

doogleboy 01-01-2018 09:41 PM

Very pleased with his performance yesterday.

liberal clubber 01-01-2018 10:01 PM

Part of a defense that kept out man city
But letís not go overboard at this stage

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 01-01-2018 10:07 PM

Punch's injury may mean he features a lot more in the second half of the season.

CharlieCPFC 01-01-2018 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 14025317)
Punch's injury may mean he features a lot more in the second half of the season.

Never mind Punch's injury I think his performance alone will really push his chances of breaking into this team.

Green Bin 01-01-2018 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 14024170)
Iím not sure that was all down to JR, but De Bruyne was constantly in acres of space, particularly in the first half. Overall I thought JR had an energetic and committed game. Certainly now seen as a good option in midfield.

But mainly in front of our players, not getting through on goal...mind you surprised how shite De Bruyne's free kicks were yesterday

theCoach 01-01-2018 11:42 PM

May be used as emergency centre back. Certainly want to see him around the matchday squad more.
If we ever get to the point of being safe would like to see him sitting alongside Luka and with cheek in the hole behind tekkers......but not until then.

SussexRed&Blue 01-01-2018 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theCoach (Post 14025487)
May be used as emergency centre back. Certainly want to see him around the matchday squad more.
If we ever get to the point of being safe would like to see him sitting alongside Luka and with cheek in the hole behind tekkers......but not until then.

Certainly not a centre back but with any more injuries we may be forced into it.

Jairo not good at heading the ball. His strengths lie in his accuracy in passing the ball and his speed of thought. Looks like a great central midfielder young with a lot of potential.

The Vicar 02-01-2018 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SussexRed&Blue (Post 14025500)
Certainly not a centre back but with any more injuries we may be forced into it.

Jairo not good at heading the ball. His strengths lie in his accuracy in passing the ball and his speed of thought. Looks like a great central midfielder young with a lot of potential.

Correct, and does not have the physical abilities and strength for CB

danpalace07 02-01-2018 01:29 AM

Deserves time and patience while he develops as a holding mid. The technique is there.

carter 09-01-2018 12:24 AM

First half he was the only one trying to make something happen. Lost possession a few tones as you’d expect cos he hasn’t played but the more he plays the better he will get. No doubt he will be sold in the summer for whatever reason but I’d love for him and the club to make it work. As Dan says the technique is definitely there it’s just the physical side of the game that needs to come.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 09-01-2018 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carter (Post 14041988)
First half he was the only one trying to make something happen. Lost possession a few tones as youíd expect cos he hasnít played but the more he plays the better he will get. No doubt he will be sold in the summer for whatever reason but Iíd love for him and the club to make it work. As Dan says the technique is definitely there itís just the physical side of the game that needs to come.

Thought he was poor today. Not alone in that of course but it was disappointing after the improvement against City. I just continue to have some doubts about him.

Zohar's Penalty 09-01-2018 12:35 AM

Technically promising, but physically weak

HRS 09-01-2018 12:36 AM

I thought he played well to be honest. Yes a few mistakes he’s played very little for us so far and I really feel there’s a player there.

aj4england 09-01-2018 12:41 AM

Very disappointed in him tonight , shadow boxing , passing poor and fairly slow / low energy when compared with brightons b players. I had hopes for him but tonight adds another question mark

red&blue_moomin 09-01-2018 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zohar's Penalty (Post 14041997)
Technically promising, but physically weak

He's 21. Two or three seasons in the UK and he'll be alright. You can bulk a player up and make them stronger especially one that's young but ability on the ball and being a decent passer of it that you can't train into them only refine.

Martin H 09-01-2018 12:45 AM

I thought he had a mixed game today with the first half being better than the second. He has quality but playing where he does he needs players to pick out with his passes. Today he had very few players around him on the same wavelength and very little to aim at. To his left and behind he had a set of players who seemed to have completely lost their first touch and passing ability. PVA ran around but so many of passes were poor, short or behind the player instead of inviting the player on. Macca and Cabaye were at half speed, conserving batteries and Sako was isolated. He has weaknesses and things to learn but already he looks good enough to survive if given some time and experience. He does need to toughen up a little and occasionally jump, but that applies to others in the squad.

I think we should keep him and develop him as future competition or partner for Luka

Die hard Hoj 09-01-2018 01:36 AM

I thought his contribution was terrible considering he doesn’t get many chances to impress, inept, uninspiring and lacking any conviction...........remember we played 8m for him!

palace_burger 09-01-2018 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Die hard Hoj (Post 14042030)
I thought his contribution was terrible considering he doesn’t get many chances to impress, inept, uninspiring and lacking any conviction...........remember we played 8m for him!

8m is naff all in today’s money

Look at Leicester trying to off load Kelechi Iheanacho...

They got their business done early(!?) in the summer by paying £25m and giving a 21 year old a 5 year deal on £115 per week and now want rid.

Just shows how hard and how crazy this market is.

Makes Beneteke look like a real bargain.

Hudds Eagle 09-01-2018 04:26 AM

I thought he was one of 4 players last night that came away with any credibility (the others being TFM, PvA and Sako) Some of his passing was outstanding (obviously some was not but it happens) and at least he worked hard. Obviously he's no centre-half but the movie into midfield will be the making of him and I hope he stays to fulfil that potential with us. For me he's the long term successor for Cabaye if he stays long enough. Classy player who's still very young and will only get better.