CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   The Music Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Crystal Palace guitars (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=254722)

hughff 06-11-2020 09:54 PM

You've got the obvious dilemma - get the best guitar or the best amp you can afford. My gut feeling on that is if you plan to play at home, get the best guitar as it will be better to play (there are amps for around £100-150 that sound just fine). If you are looking to play for other people (even more so in a band), get the best amp you can afford (eg the Vox AV range are great for under £350) so you sound great and pick up a decent second hand guitar (especially if you have some practical skills - eg see youtube for how to do a fret job). If you buy a second hand tube amp, bear in mind that the tubes will probably be shot and need replacing.

I'm a big fan of the Squier Classic Vibe range which has all the iconic Fender models for between £320-390. I have a Telecaster and it has as good a neck as much more expensive instruments.

Worksop Palace 07-11-2020 09:59 AM

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

As I suspected, the more I look into this, the more difficult it is becoming. I used to think I knew a bit about guitars when I first got into it many years ago and I’m remembering stuff as I start reading up on it again but I’m not confident enough about what I know about the minutiae around stuff like pick ups etc etc.

I’m looking to narrow it down for now and currently have it down to Epiphone, ESP, and Gretsch (the Jet BT Deep Cherry has taken my attention. £399 on Guitar Guitar) Any guidance on those makes and models would be gratefully received and also any other outlets/suppliers I should be looking at.

That would leave me circa £100-£150 for an amp and I have t even started looking at that yet. Don’t want to rush into anything but I’m starting to get a bit excited and want to push the button....:)

Many thanks

Tim of the 80's 07-11-2020 10:19 AM

I haven't looked at them for a while, but I think the Streamliners come from Gretsch's Chinese factory whereas the Electromatics come from Korea and are of perceived higher quality and are therefore a couple of hundred quid more. I think if I was spending around £400, I'd be inclined to look at used - I got my son a really nice Aria Gretsch Nashville copy, it honestly is lovely, for £380 a few years ago. And the other thing is, a good £400 used guitar will still be worth around £400 after you buy it, while a new one will be worth about £250.

Smoz 07-11-2020 10:37 AM

I’m no expert on the Gretsch range but I think the Jet BT Deep Cherry that Worksop mentioned is from the Electromatic range, not the budget end Streamliner. This is not to knock the Streamliner range, they get great reviews from what I have seen.

Worksop Palace 07-11-2020 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoz (Post 15493198)
I’m no expert on the Gretsch range but I think the Jet BT Deep Cherry that Worksop mentioned is from the Electromatic range, not the budget end Streamliner. This is not to knock the Streamliner range, they get great reviews from what I have seen.

Yes it is the electromatic range mate. £399 on Andertons as well. Once I decide what I’m going for, I’m going to ring a few places and see if I can get a deal with the guitar and an amp. Probably get told to feck off but worth a pop.

I did think about second hand and get the value bit of second hand but I'm really not confident enough in what I’m looking out for to be honest.

This is purely a ‘treat myself’ purchase. I love guitars, always have, played sporadically but to a decent self taught level as a ‘rhythm’ player on an acoustic. Just want an electric that I can still do that on but try and explore and extend my repertoire a bit. I will spend the time on it.

Smoz 07-11-2020 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worksop Palace (Post 15493144)

That would leave me circa £100-£150 for an amp and I have t even started looking at that yet.

I am pretty much a novice, I picked up a Telecaster at the beginning of lockdown mk1 in early April having not played for thirty years. To go with it I wanted a compact, cheap and cheerful practice amp for playing about with at home, I went for a Blackstar Fly 3. It’s cheap, it’s small, it had good reviews, it has a reasonable gain and a delay effect, it runs on batteries, it doesn’t annoy the neighbours, you will get change from £60.

It would be no good for gigging, probably not even for busking and I am sure you would get a lot better amp if you went closer to the top end of what you have left to spend, you would probably get a fair bit more for your money. For me the Fly 3 is all I need for the time being.

Worksop Palace 07-11-2020 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoz (Post 15493210)
I am pretty much a novice, I picked up a Telecaster at the beginning of lockdown mk1 in early April having not played for thirty years. To go with it I wanted a compact, cheap and cheerful practice amp for playing about with at home, I went for a Blackstar Fly 3. Itís cheap, itís small, it had good reviews, it has a reasonable gain and a delay effect, it runs on batteries, it doesnít annoy the neighbours, you will get change from £60.

It would be no good for gigging, probably not even for busking and I am sure you would get a lot better amp if you went closer to the top end of what you have left to spend, you would probably get a fair bit more for your money. For me the Fly 3 is all I need for the time being.

Yes Iíve seen a Blackstar for £90 on the same site as the Gretsch. I donít need a gig amp so this will work fine for me I would think

HOVE EAGLE 07-11-2020 11:46 AM

I have been going Ince lockdown
Had an acoustic which cost £60 in a Cardiff music shop
After about three months when I could finally put some chords together I treated myself with the money is saved to a Taylor academy acoustic
It was a good buy as it made me determined to carry on and the sound from it is so much better
Can't say it improves your guitar playing but I'm enjoying the journey

henryhallandhisbasque 07-11-2020 12:10 PM

I bought one of the cheaper Chinese made Gretsches (about £799 new) from Andertons about three years ago. Left handed and no Bigsby. Out the box it was an absolute nightmare to get to stay in tune. Clearly I had been set-up rather than it. Got Andertons to pay for a proper set up at a luthier/guitar maker in Long Eaton who fitted a Bigsby and did a full set up. He switched to a bone nut, too. Improved things no end. In the end sold it on and upgraded to a second hand Gretsch 6120 Eddie Cochran model, which is an absolute beast of a guitar. Horrendous things to restring though if you don't know what you're doing. I only really play at home, so it's just the neighbours and the wife who suffer.That particular model drastically outweighs my abilities, but nonetheless I had to have one. All I use is a little Fender Champion practice amp and I would highly recommend that if you just want to play at home.

To be honest, I have spent thousands of pounds on fancy guitars over the years. But the best electric I have ever had, and particularly for keeping in tune, is the Burns Double Six. The Shadows and The Searchers used to play Burns guitars (the original Jim Burns ones). Even Elvis had one. The one I have is a reproduction Chinese made modern day reproduction Double Six which cost about 800 quid new. Having had nightmares with a Rickenbacker 330 12 constantly going out of tune, I thought I would have similar bother with this one. But no it stays in tune fantastically and I imagine the brass nut has something to do with helping that. If you're looking at spending between £500 and maybe £800 on a guitar, I was strongly recommend looking at a Burns guitar. Hot Rox in central Nottingham have a good range and are lovely people to deal with. Brilliant value for money and very well made.

Pidster 07-11-2020 12:27 PM

I would be reluctant to use Andertons again. My advice would be decide what you want, make sure GuitarGuitar ( or other shops have them in stock ) and when the little box pops up and asks if they can help, telll what you want and ask them their best price.

A word of warning about some of the Gretch hollow bodies is that the bridge isn't fixed and also Bigsby are a pain when its string change time.

Worksop Palace 07-11-2020 04:19 PM

Spoken to Guitar Guitar on their web chat. Best they would do was £508 for the Gretsch G5220 Electromatic Jet in deep cherry red and the Fender Champion 20 amp, priced at £399 and £120 respectively so basically a £11 discount. Said they would do a deal on cables etc.

Spoke to a nice lad at Peach Guitars, asked me to email him and he would see what he could do but that combo is pretty thin for them, they have theirs priced at £399 and £90 so already cheaper. Says he’ll also do me a deal on cables etc. He also told me about their pre delivery checks and set ups etc that they do which was reassuring.

Looks like thats what I’m going to go for. Please tell me I’m mad or otherwise before I press the button guys !

hughff 07-11-2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOVE EAGLE (Post 15493321)
I have been going Ince lockdown
Had an acoustic which cost £60 in a Cardiff music shop
After about three months when I could finally put some chords together I treated myself with the money is saved to a Taylor academy acoustic
It was a good buy as it made me determined to carry on and the sound from it is so much better
Can't say it improves your guitar playing but I'm enjoying the journey

Taylor are really nice acoustics. As you say, a guitar that feels and sounds good is a great motivator.

hughff 07-11-2020 08:11 PM

FWIW Worksop, I think that Gretsch quality control is usually pretty consistent so I think you've got yourself a good deal. I have a Champion 20 and it's a very nice bedroom amp.

Worksop Palace 07-11-2020 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hughff (Post 15495084)
FWIW Worksop, I think that Gretsch quality control is usually pretty consistent so I think you've got yourself a good deal. I have a Champion 20 and it's a very nice bedroom amp.

Perfect, thanks mate. Thatís it. Done !

AJ 07-11-2020 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hughff (Post 15492853)
You've got the obvious dilemma - get the best guitar or the best amp you can afford. My gut feeling on that is if you plan to play at home, get the best guitar as it will be better to play (there are amps for around £100-150 that sound just fine). If you are looking to play for other people (even more so in a band), get the best amp you can afford (eg the Vox AV range are great for under £350) so you sound great and pick up a decent second hand guitar (especially if you have some practical skills - eg see youtube for how to do a fret job). If you buy a second hand tube amp, bear in mind that the tubes will probably be shot and need replacing.

I'm a big fan of the Squier Classic Vibe range which has all the iconic Fender models for between £320-390. I have a Telecaster and it has as good a neck as much more expensive instruments.

If you are buying an amp the Boss Katana is an excellent amp and the 50w is not all that expensive for such a good amp.

AJ 07-11-2020 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hughff (Post 15495084)

Like many makers their budget line is average to poor. Of all the budget makes, Squire seems a much better guitar than anything in that price range.The Classic Vibes are outstanding for the price. Most of the cheaper Gretch I have played were somewhat average.

Worksop Palace 07-11-2020 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ (Post 15495105)
Like many makers their budget line is average to poor. Of all the budget makes, Squire seems a much better guitar than anything in that price range.The Classic Vibes are outstanding for the price. Most of the cheaper Gretch I have played were somewhat average.

Oh ffs......

:rolleyes:

Smoz 07-11-2020 08:47 PM

All this Gretsch talk has meant that I have spent much of today looking into them and trying to convince myself that I can't justify getting myself a G5410T Electromatic Rat Rod and trying pretend that I can play like Poison Ivy or Reverend Horton Heat (yes, I know they play 6120s).

west eagle 07-11-2020 08:48 PM

can only suggest you try some of these out. i have a Yamaha acoustic and love it as my go-to tune killer, but have always loved the look of the SG, went to buy one a few years back and hated the feel of it, ended up walking out with a ESP, just felt right & looks great (factory Floyd rose & decent seymor duncans)

Skintagain 07-11-2020 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worksop Palace (Post 15495121)
Oh ffs......

:rolleyes:

Dont take any notice, theres loads of videos on youtube and you cant find a bad word on gretsch or in any online review. Ive got a g2655 and its fine, easy to play with a slim neck, it doesnt go out of tune and looks great.
The only problem i have with it is the pearoid inlays, i cant see the strings as well as my other guitars which are all dark fretboards with dots. Playing melodies i do make more mistakes. I suspose thats more about my geriatric eyesight and poundshop glasses than the guitar though.