CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   1991/92 season - game by game (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=284597)

Grim Reaper 03-11-2021 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakhalin Rich (Post 16085155)
Does anyone else remember the trip to Anfield being designated as a 'silly hat' day? I wore a pill hat - the type of hat that a mother of a bride would wear complete with veil. I looked ridiculous and I certainly would not wear it now! I'm going to blame the early 90s which was approx the era of those crazes such as bringing inflatables to a game. Anyway, was a great result and day out.

That was the power of Eagle Eye fanzine back then. They nailed that campaign. :p

I don't think they were expecting us to actually go and win!

bubbs11 04-11-2021 06:11 AM

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/30FB9FD...0059B09.md.jpg

Maiden Eagle 04-11-2021 06:20 AM

From my vague recollection, Andy had an absolute nightmare in the England shirt Vs Poland.

Had a great chance to score early on, that he missed and was dragged off at HT, never to be seen in a full England squad, again.

On the plus side, I'm sure there were 5 Palace players, in that squad - Gray, Thomas, Salako, Wright and Martyn ?

Olympian2 04-11-2021 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maiden Eagle (Post 16086574)
From my vague recollection, Andy had an absolute nightmare in the England shirt Vs Poland.

Had a great chance to score early on, that he missed and was dragged off at HT, never to be seen in a full England squad, again.

On the plus side, I'm sure there were 5 Palace players, in that squad - Gray, Thomas, Salako, Wright and Martyn ?

Surely Salad wouldn't have been in that squad - he was still out injured.

N Herts Eagle 04-11-2021 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympian2 (Post 16087026)

Correct Wright was Arsenal by then......and Martyn was not in the squad for Poland with Chris Wood starting and David Seaman being the reserve sub keeper.

Bipe 04-11-2021 08:35 AM

I have fallen way behind the curve on this thread but I will jump back in at this point in an attempt to respond to the hat debate. My recollection is that it wasn't specifically sombrero themed, Eagle Eye billed it as a more generic hats day, if I recall correctly the intention was to create a football equivalent of Royal Ascot with those of us who were attending encouraged to wear whatever outlandish and fancy hats we could lay our hands on. I rocked up in a Sherlock Holmes deerstalker - my dad's walking hat - whereas another of our party had borrowed his mate's top hat from his recent wedding. There were all manner of random items perched on people's bonces in the away end that day, including sombreros but that wasn't the theme. I remember one guy had turned up with about a dozen different Palace hats - beanie, ski, etc - all balanced on top of one another.

LuieJack 04-11-2021 08:43 AM

What a joyous period that early 90's was, especially coming after those miserable early/mid Eighties period. That never to be forgotten time when finishing an incredible 3rd in the league, which was then followed by that memorable FA cup semi final at Villa Park, but then have to experience the heartbreak in seeing the "Ian Wright" Wembley final slip through our fingers. Oh for those days to return.

Bipe 04-11-2021 09:26 AM

As for the Liverpool game itself...we decided to make a weekend of it, combining the game with a visit to a mate who'd gone to Uni up in Liverpool.

Liverpool were struggling a bit under new manager Graeme Souness so there was a feeling that there could be something in it for us. The hats thing generated something of a party atmosphere in the away end, even before kick off with people comparing headgear. My recollection of the match is that it was fairly even in the most part, a somewhat scrappy affair with few clear cut chances. It will probably go down as Gabbiadini's finest hour in a Palace shirt, I still have a vivid memory of watching him sweep home his goal in front of the Kop.

We survived late pressure to seal the three points after which it was straight onto it in the city centre where the party continued. The Liverpool fans we bumped into over the course of the evening were good natured about the result, they were more concerned with where the team was heading under Souness. It did seem possible that for the first time in my living memory as a 19 year old that Liverpool's air of dominance and invincibility was starting to permeate away.

All in all a most enjoyable weekend and certainly well worth sacrificing a week of playing football - although I couldn't have timed it worse in hindsight. Our team had brought in a new manager the week before who pulled a few new players along with him. I lost my place in the starting line up due to my absence and never got it back, soon ending up dropped to the reserves. Bastard.

stevek 04-11-2021 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maiden Eagle (Post 16086574)

He got slated by the pundits, and it really affected him - he was never the same player for us.

We really lost three key players in different ways in the early part of that season - Wright to Arsenal; Salako to injury; and Gray's head seemed to go.

grays_eagle 04-11-2021 11:03 AM

Taylor played Andy Gray up front with Gary Lineker. I believe that AG had been a striker earlier in his career, but had played in midfield for at least the last 6-7 years, so was probably not used to the position. Wasn't there a story that soon after the Poland game a load of England training gear went on sale in AG's sports shop in Tooting?

Olympian2 04-11-2021 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grays_eagle (Post 16087165)
Taylor played Andy Gray up front with Gary Lineker. I believe that AG had been a striker earlier in his career, but had played in midfield for at least the last 6-7 years, so was probably not used to the position. Wasn't there a story that soon after the Poland game a load of England training gear went on sale in AG's sports shop in Tooting?

He & Phil Barber were our lethal strike partnership in 85/86 :p

PemboExpress 04-11-2021 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakhalin Rich (Post 16085155)
Does anyone else remember the trip to Anfield being designated as a 'silly hat' day? I wore a pill hat - the type of hat that a mother of a bride would wear complete with veil. I looked ridiculous and I certainly would not wear it now! I'm going to blame the early 90s which was approx the era of those crazes such as bringing inflatables to a game. Anyway, was a great result and day out.

Absolutely! I wore a ridiculously large Chef's hat courtesy of my friend Jimmy :).

As Elwiss mentioned, I also remember it for being the Rugby WC final.

And finally, I remember it for magnificent Marco. Surely his finest display in a Palace shirt.

30 years on, it's still one of my best memories of watching a Palace away game. Happy days indeed.

stevek 04-11-2021 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympian2 (Post 16087333)
He & Phil Barber were our lethal strike partnership in 85/86 :p

For about the first three games it looked like they might be the answer to our striking prayers. They weren't. (But luckily the answer wasn't far round the corner.)

Maiden Eagle 04-11-2021 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympian2 (Post 16087026)

Er.....er....Perhaps it was another squad, a few months earlier !!??:clown:

bubbs11 05-11-2021 03:15 AM

England debut’s

Wright Feb 91 v Cameroon
Thomas May 91 v Turkey
Salako June 91 v Australia
Gray Nov 91 v Poland
Martyn Apr 92 v CIS

bubbs11 05-11-2021 03:31 AM

A story I did hear about Gray’s debut was that he was given the instruction by Graham Taylor at kick off, of playing the ball out of touch deep into the opponents half. Now I believe there wasn’t any love lost between the pair as they’d fallen out during their time at Villa together. Apparently Taylor smugly remarked on the bench as the ball sailed out of touch, ‘Now he’ll always know that his first touch for England was whacking the ball into the stand!’

Maiden Eagle 05-11-2021 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 16088595)
England debut’s

Wright Feb 91 v Cameroon
Thomas May 91 v Turkey
Salako June 91 v Australia
Gray Nov 91 v Poland
Martyn Apr 92 v CIS

Thanks, I don't know where I thought I got that stat from ? Must be getting old lol !

Tbf, it's pretty good that 5 players, while at Palace, made their England debuts over a 14 month period.

bubbs11 05-11-2021 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maiden Eagle (Post 16088612)
Thanks, I don't know where I thought I got that stat from ? Must be getting old lol !

Tbf, it's pretty good that 5 players, while at Palace, made their England debuts over a 14 month period.

It wasn’t until I checked it that I realised Martyn got his first cap so late. In my head it was just after Wrighty’s.

bubbs11 05-11-2021 07:48 AM

It was around this time that we brought in a new coaching staff member whose talents lay in aiming for the cups. :p

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/A76DBED1...4A350D7.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/DAF47672...38FF123.md.jpg

Grim Reaper 05-11-2021 10:05 PM

Used to love the old joke "Harrison's great in the League but shit in the cup!"

Bipe 08-11-2021 08:17 AM

A few bits of admin as I emerge from my slumber.

I don't recall Andy Gray playing up front in his England game, my recollection is that Taylor went for a defensive 4-5-1 formation with Gray and Thomas playing alongside their old mate Dennis Wise in what could only be described as a combative midfield. Gary Lineker must have been yearning for the days of Gazza, Waddle and Beardsley.

Worth noting after the Liverpool game that if we won our game in hand we'd be up to fourth in the table and only three points behind the eventual champions Leeds. As I noted at the start of this thread the first third of this season was very solid for us points-wise despite the turmoil around the club, and even if the football itself was not pretty at times.

The Steve Harrison appointment gave more ammo to those who accused Palace of being a dirty long-ball side given his previous close association with Graham Taylor, whose Watford side were, along with Wimbledon, viewed as the leading exponents of the long-ball genre of football.

A backdated catch-up on new entrants into the top ten over the previous few weeks for those who care (just me and Grim Reaper I think). I will try to keep this updated weekly again from now on:

Week ending 19 October 1991

World In Union by Kiri Te Kanawa - The official song of the 1991 rugby world cup which as others have noted was being held in the UK through the autumn. I actively disliked rugby then and now - not a spectator sport in my book - so I ignored it.

Get Ready For This by 2 Unlimited - I suppose technically this was a dance track but very much of the watered down variety, definitely not one for the purists. Annoyingly catchy and was used by the BBC for a long time as their background music on Grandstand when Steve Rider ran down the menu of the afternoon's action at the start of the show. It got to number two.

Week ending 26 October 1991

Dizzy by Vic Reeves and The Wonder Stuff - a number one smash and the eighth biggest selling single of the year, in reality though a pointless cover other than to propel Reeves' singing offshoot further into the public consciousness. It had an air of smugness about it, like most of the Wonder Stuff's output. Didn't like it.

Change by Lisa Stansfield - Lisa had taken quite a long break after her 'been around the world and I-I-I' megahit, if the rumours are true due in part to a monstrous cocaine habit. This might have been her comeback single? I vaguely remember it, a pretty bland slice of Brit-soul which only crept to number 10.

Week ending 2 November 1991

The Fly by U2 - This got all the way to the top, their lead single from the Achtung Baby album which was very heavily marketed on TV and radio. The album consolidated their place as a stadium rock money machine following the breakthrough made with The Joshua Tree. I don't like U2 (who does?) but I didn't actually mind this song too much. With hindsight it sounds a bit like something Blur might have done in the late 90s, quite a nice scuzzy sound and good contrast between verse and chorus.

No Son Of Mine by Genesis - even the great British public were starting to get fed up with Phil Collins by now and he would seal his reputational fate in the eyes of many a few months later by declaring that he would leave the country if Labour won the 1992 general election. The song is poor, peaking at number six which wasn't too bad but the accompanying album didn't hit the sales heights of Invisible Touch in the late 80s.

Go by Moby - built on the Twin Peaks theme, this was his first hit I believe and a couple of years later his output was being used by advertising agencies the world over to flog cars, fridges and whatnot. Of course Moby now lives under the shadow of sexual abuse allegations. We should not forget that at the height of his fame he used to boast about playing a game he called 'celebrity knob touch' which involved mingling with fellow celebrity guests at parties and functions and seeing how many you could surreptitiously touch with the tip of your penis (poking from inside your trousers I hasten to add). So not really a surprise in hindsight that his behaviour caught up with him.

Bipe 08-11-2021 09:07 AM

I got that England team wrong by the way, no Wise, but it was Lineker as the only out and out striker. I assume David Platt would have been playing in behind him. Sinton and Rocastle the wide men.

Amazingly Gary Mabbutt played centre half that day alongside Des Walker. I would have thought his England career (such as it was - he only won 16 caps) was long over by then but it seems Taylor recalled him after four years in the international wilderness for his final three caps.

Grim Reaper 08-11-2021 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 16093919)
I got that England team wrong by the way, no Wise, but it was Lineker as the only out and out striker. I assume David Platt would have been playing in behind him. Sinton and Rocastle the wide men.

Amazingly Gary Mabbutt played centre half that day alongside Des Walker. I would have thought his England career (such as it was - he only won 16 caps) was long over by then but it seems Taylor recalled him after four years in the international wilderness for his final three caps.

I'll never forget Mabbutt's role.

Passionately hated him back then and had done for years (can't remember why but I know him scoring the own goal winner for Coventry in the 1987 Cup Final was up there for with any Palace goal of that time!)

But for the deflection off that Spurs twonk for Poland's goal, Gray would probably not have been quite so lambasted as 0-0 at half time would have been a far different story than 0-1.

One More Point Issue 1 uncovered the 'conspiracy to relegate Palace' and Mabbutt (along with George Graham) was found guilty. (It was something of a spoof article, but it was weird how there was a story you could cobble together with all the shit that was going between 1991-93.)

Bipe 10-11-2021 08:45 AM

New entries into the top ten for week ending 9 November 1991:

If You Were With Me Now by Kylie Minogue and Keith Washington - Sorry but I have drawn a complete blank on this one, I can't even remember who the hell Keith Washington was. So no further comments your honour.

Rhythm Is A Mystery by K-Klass - Ah yes, a classic of the DIY dance genre which was flooding the charts at the time, complete with the requisite pounding house piano riff. If I remember rightly they did a delightfully cheapo video to accompany the track.

Is There Anybody Out There? by Bassheads - Another dance track but this one had a marginally darker / heavier sound. You are highly unlikely to hear it played on any radio station these days, very much of its time.

cappuccinoeagle 10-11-2021 06:34 PM

According to Wiki, Keith Washington is an American RnB singer- no other UK hits

Grim Reaper 10-11-2021 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 16097378)
New entries into the top ten for week ending 9 November 1991:

If You Were With Me Now by Kylie Minogue and Keith Washington - Sorry but I have drawn a complete blank on this one, I can't even remember who the hell Keith Washington was. So no further comments your honour.

Rhythm Is A Mystery by K-Klass - Ah yes, a classic of the DIY dance genre which was flooding the charts at the time, complete with the requisite pounding house piano riff. If I remember rightly they did a delightfully cheapo video to accompany the track.

Like you, I'm completely blank, Just asked my missus who liked Kylie back in the day but she didn't know it either. Just played it on YouTube and I still don't know it.

As for K Klass, that's one of the few songs I owned on cassette single. Quality tune. Still have that banging out on Alexa once or twice a month. :p

bubbs11 11-11-2021 12:33 AM

An interesting month news-wise. Terry Waite is freed, Robert Maxwell is found dead off the coast of Tenerife and Freddie Mercury died.

In these pre internet days, the rumours about Freddie’s demise were still rife leading up to the announcement of his illness, as it was clear from the lyrics of his songs and his demeanour in Queen’s later videos that something was very wrong.

Grim Reaper 14-11-2021 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 16098172)
An interesting month news-wise. Terry Waite is freed, Robert Maxwell is found dead off the coast of Tenerife and Freddie Mercury died.

In these pre internet days, the rumours about Freddie’s demise were still rife leading up to the announcement of his illness, as it was clear from the lyrics of his songs and his demeanour in Queen’s later videos that something was very wrong.

Amazing that Freddie was by and large able to keep his hedonistic ways relatively under wraps for so long....or maybe I was young and naive and simply didn't read the papers to know what was going on. Was certainly a shocker seeing him in the video of Days of our Lives

jaspercpfc 14-11-2021 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 16102264)
Amazing that Freddie was by and large able to keep his hedonistic ways relatively under wraps for so long....or maybe I was young and naive and simply didn't read the papers to know what was going on. Was certainly a shocker seeing him in the video of Days of our Lives

I only saw this interview for the first time a few years ago (filmed a week after his death) Paul Daniels comes across as a complete tool in this. Brian May speaks very eloquently over peoples reaction to being Gay. Before his death the Sun ran such headlines as "its the lean Mister Queen" & "The Sad face of Freddie Mercury" pointing to his gaunt figure. Like you I was only young at the time, so probably not fully aware of the media reaction.

mickymags 16-11-2021 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaspercpfc (Post 16102296)
I only saw this interview for the first time a few years ago (filmed a week after his death) Paul Daniels comes across as a complete tool in this. Brian May speaks very eloquently over peoples reaction to being Gay. Before his death the Sun ran such headlines as "its the lean Mister Queen" & "The Sad face of Freddie Mercury" pointing to his gaunt figure. Like you I was only young at the time, so probably not fully aware of the media reaction.

Not half as much of a tool as when he came on here to defend his wife against allegations of doggy sex....

bubbs11 17-11-2021 01:16 PM

PALACE 1 Thomas
SOTON 0

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/0A8A1D4C...6E84DC8.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/CA2F0567...7997B5C.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/6807B986...3CFA1E7.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/061680C2...22788B3.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/11364625...BAE3EE0.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/0DE144D9...1C3DFCC.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/9F4415F3...1869AC0.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/6153AB36...A087986.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/FFD68F5E...7D5F33B.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/5D5394E8...53083FA.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/03EDCCCC...C00BD52.md.jpg

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/7D3267DF...01209C3.md.jpg

Bipe 17-11-2021 03:06 PM

Still only three points off top if we win our game in hand...but I think this was the point at which the wheels well and truly blew off and the barren run commenced. Looking at that table you can see the reason why...we have scored plenty but with a goal difference of zero we have conceded more than anyone outside the bottom six (and even two of those sides had a better goals against record than us). So our normally pretty reliable defence had started to malfunction and if the goals started to dry up we were in trouble.

There was only one new entrant into the top ten for week ending 16 November but it was a notable one.

It's Grim Up North by The Justified Ancients Of Mu Mu - AKA the KLF, having enjoyed a trio of massive hits with their patented 'stadium house' sound they were starting to generate an air of invincibility. They released this single under their alternative name, rightly so as it was definitely more niche with an industrial sound eventually giving way to the strains of Jerusalem. The lyrics comprised a simple list of northern towns and cities, I always loved the way that 'Hebdon...Bridge' was delivered as though it was two separate places. Fun fact: The KLF were the world's biggest selling singles act of 1991. Not bad for an outfit which I always viewed as the dance version of Carter USM (which I absolutely mean as a compliment).

David Giles 17-11-2021 09:38 PM

Crazy really. I’ve always slagged 91-92 off and had completely forgotten that 15 games in we were still doing so well especially taking into account injuries and Wrighty leaving. For me, the season had sort of faded over the years into these parts: 1) ok start 2) racism incident 3) Wrighty leaving 4) Liverpool away 5) Gabbiadini not working out 6) Coleman playing up front for what seemed like forever as I poked pins into my eyeballs.

stevek 19-11-2021 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Giles (Post 16106040)
Crazy really. I’ve always slagged 91-92 off and had completely forgotten that 15 games in we were still doing so well especially taking into account injuries and Wrighty leaving. For me, the season had sort of faded over the years into these parts: 1) ok start 2) racism incident 3) Wrighty leaving 4) Liverpool away 5) Gabbiadini not working out 6) Coleman playing up front for what seemed like forever as I poked pins into my eyeballs.

Agreed - I think you've missed out Salako getting injured; and Gray going off the rails after his England appearance from your list, though.

Dario_G 19-11-2021 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek (Post 16108152)
Agreed - I think you've missed out Salako getting injured; and Gray going off the rails after his England appearance from your list, though.

What happened with Andy Gray?

I was only 11 at the time but the memory I have is him missing a weak penalty at home to Coventry and being subbed off soon after.

Was he then sent on loan to Spurs pretty sharpish?
Was he unhappy that his mate Wright had left?
Was it down to the disaster of a 45 minutes for England?

Looking back its hard to understand how it literally fell apart at this stage considering we were in 6th place albeit in a false position by all accounts.

stevek 19-11-2021 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dario_G (Post 16109033)

I was only 11 at the time but the memory I have is him missing a weak penalty at home to Coventry and being subbed off soon after.

Looking back its hard to understand how it literally fell apart at this stage considering we were in 6th place albeit in a false position by all accounts.

As I recall, he was never the same player for us after the England game. He left for Spurs at the end of the season - I don't think he went there on loan at any stage.

Bipe 19-11-2021 03:52 PM

Andy joined Spurs midway through the 91/92 season, a few weeks after Christmas. He played 14 league games for them that season, scoring once.

I'd imagine from his perspective it was his last chance to join a genuinely 'big club' and maximise his career, both in terms of earnings and competing for honours. He turned 28 in February 1992. Spurs had won the FA Cup the previous season and were part of what was seen at the time as the established 'big five' elite, even though they hadn't won the league for 30 years (now 60 years and counting).

It was sad the way things ended for him with us but he remains one of my all time favourite players. It has been good to see him re-engage with the club and us fans on social media in recent years. This is a player from South London who started out with us as a boy, present in the dressing room on that famous night in May 1979 against Burnley.

stevek 19-11-2021 04:10 PM

One of my favourite ever players, too. We'd have got promoted a year earlier if he hadn't left first time (Pennyfather was such a downgrade) and I really wasn't sure how his return would go down in 1989, but he was such a key part of our greatest ever team.

art malice 19-11-2021 04:19 PM

Quote:

Shows what can happen. Our South Coast friends would do well to heed this warning.

Bipe 19-11-2021 04:36 PM

I suppos we should avoid the temptation to be overly melodramatic considering we finished 10th. I would bite your hand off for that this season.

Maiden Eagle 19-11-2021 04:37 PM

Quote:

The thrashing at Forest seemed to really knock the stuffing out of the team and I'm sure we started getting a load of injuries plus Eric Young being out suspended, for couple of sending offs.

bubbs11 19-11-2021 08:51 PM

Coppell had had enough of Gray and transfer listed him. He actually publicly said he couldn’t have one person in the squad causing such a bad atmosphere. All the reports and articles on the fall out will follow on this thread when they happen, so stay tuned.

I seem to recall Gray’s mum died suddenly the season before I think. You could see in his demeanour that it really affected him and I think once Wright left he was all over the place mentally.

bubbs11 22-11-2021 01:32 PM

Rumbelows Cup 3rd rd replay

PALACE 1. Thomas
BIRMINGHAM C 1. Gleghorn

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/DC49C58...A9D0467.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/EAC6727...F58D6F2.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/AC973EC...FDFA373.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/159BA34...D00C963.md.jpg

bubbs11 22-11-2021 02:15 PM

N FOREST 5. Sheringham 2. Pearce. Gemmil. Woan
PALACE 1. Thomas

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/7F576E3...3836D25.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/70CBAD9...0DE77C0.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/EBE221F...A367F77.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/2864923...3AACC77.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/A554299...974A13F.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/672971D...1015794.md.jpg

Grim Reaper 23-11-2021 08:26 PM

Phenomenal that we were still in 5th even after this defeat.

So many issues yet still up in the pack.

I've said for 30 years that this one season (between Liverpool's and United's dynasties) was our one chance to win the League. Leeds showed it could be done. It absolutely could have been done if the same spirit of the 90-91 dressing room had remained through 1991-92

Pub Idol 23-11-2021 08:57 PM

There was a game around this period when Clough subbed a player against us, but didn't replace him... Or did I make that up?

David Giles 23-11-2021 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pub Idol (Post 16117055)
There was a game around this period when Clough subbed a player against us, but didn't replace him... Or did I make that up?

That was the season before in the FA Cup in the second replay when they beat us 3-0 at their place.

Pub Idol 23-11-2021 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Giles (Post 16117057)
That was the season before in the FA Cup in the second replay when they beat us 3-0 at their place.

Of course. Thanks!

Grim Reaper 26-11-2021 07:15 AM

Yeh, they just made do with a 5-1 thrashing at this stage!!!

Grim Reaper 26-11-2021 07:18 AM

Couldn't see it mentioned above but Coppell actually offered his resignation after the Forest game. Ron didn't even give it the time of day and told him to carry on. I occasionally wonder what would have happened if he'd left at this point rather than summer 93.

Would Alan Smith have been promoted to manager?

Would it have been an outsider?

Would we ultimately have fared better in the medium term than we actually did?

Bipe 26-11-2021 07:31 AM

Week ending 23 November 1991 was a busy one in the charts, with five new entries into the top ten:

Black Or White by Michael Jackson - This was his big comeback single after a few years of inertia following the phenomenal success of the Bad album. He roped in some celebrity big guns to increase the chances of commercial success, Slash on guitar and flavour of the month Macauley Culkin in the video. It's a poor song but inevitably it went all the way to number one.

Activ-8 (Come With Me) by Altern-8 - One of those dance acts which churned out a few bangers around this era and then disappeared. I was surprised to note that this track got as high as number three on the charts, don't remember it being as big a hit as that.

Killer by Seal - This was a cynical way of building momentum for Seal's solo career, taking the Adamski track of 18 months previously on which he had provided the guest vocal, giving it a minimal makeover and re-releasing it under his own name. It worked though.

Playing With Knives by Bizarre Inc - They put out some good dance tunes as well around this time but I'm ashamed to say I don't remember this one at all - will have to look it up on YouTube.

When A Man Loves A Woman by Michael Bolton - One of those covers which leads you to ask the simple question 'why?'. The mulleted Bolton was never going to even come close to doing justice to a song that Percy Sledge had built his legend on. And he was further hampered by a weak and bland musical arrangement which heavily diluted the power of the track. A massive fail artistically, but Bolton had a loyal following within the 'ladies of a certain age' demographic and they supported it enough to propel it to number eight.

stevek 26-11-2021 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 16120008)
Would we ultimately have fared better in the medium term than we actually did?

Obviously, unanswerable, but I doubt it. We were desperately unlucky to go down the following season; and we came back up as champions. I'm not sure anyone else would have done much better.

bubbs11 28-11-2021 05:38 PM

ZDS Area Qtr final

QPR 2. Bardsley. Wilkins
PALACE 3. Thomas. Gabbiadini. Young

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/FB9D26E...5A0B706.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/F8C3850...E14D817.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/4549E3D...3107756.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/8D40C45...E4654D6.md.jpg

bubbs11 28-11-2021 05:43 PM

Well remembered Grim Reaper

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/72A2918...E11B19E.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/318163B...75A816F.md.jpg

Olympian2 28-11-2021 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 16124263)
ZDS Area Qtr final

QPR 2. Bardsley. Wilkins
PALACE 3. Thomas. Gabbiadini. Young

Ooh, I think I was one of the 4492 there. I seem to remember us being 3-0 up - Ninja scoring from close range in front of us - & us holding on at the end.

Pub Idol 28-11-2021 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek (Post 16120072)
Obviously, unanswerable, but I doubt it. We were desperately unlucky to go down the following season; and we came back up as champions. I'm not sure anyone else would have done much better.

I agree in the main. But Sir Steve did tell the Palace echo that he lost focus in his final season... Maybe going at this point would have allowed him, and us to regroup etc.. That said the key was always replacing Wright and that was bodged which allowed this downward trajectory to gain steam.

bubbs11 29-11-2021 12:57 AM

PALACE 1. Mortimer
MAN UTD 3. Webb. McClair. Kanchelskis

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/169DDE80...BC5E31F.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/7291D426...B5AECD8.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/8DAC72F6...900CFA7.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/72D2407B...49FF239.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/57F9FFCE...8D5C06A.md.jpg

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/50374577...8874131.md.jpg

bubbs11 29-11-2021 01:14 AM

Remember watching this standing in the Holmesdale with two mates who were United fans, trying desperately to be magnanimous but feeling sick as a pig inside.

I think what hurt was the gap that was clearly developing between the two clubs. It was only 6 months earlier, we’d thrashed them and finished above them in the league and felt it was us in the ascendency; but that wild dream that we could be a force alongside the other mighty names in English football, was fast dying on the vine.

It was obvious to all, that this Man U side were beginning to click with the emergence of an amazing young talent, and about to reclaim their crown as the best in the country within the next few seasons. Damn that Mark Hughes equaliser at Wembley 18 months earlier.

art malice 29-11-2021 10:53 AM

Very scary wankers that day

bubbs11 29-11-2021 06:55 PM

Out of interest; the season before after 18 games we were on 36pts, which would’ve had us in third in 91/92, just 3pts behind top spot.

JJ 30-11-2021 07:11 AM

Also out of interest, despite only being not even half a season after finishing 3rd, being 7th in the league at that point having won 8 out of 17 games and still with Young and Thorn in front of Martyn at the heart of our defence, we actually had the 3rd worst defence in terms of goals conceded; only Luton and Sheffield Utd had conceded more.

Bipe 30-11-2021 07:14 PM

The QPR game was the last one I attended during this season. A bunch of us headed over there straight after work, including a couple who supported neither tam but were happy to come along for the ride. A couple of quick drinks and then in we went. One of our number ended up getting into a row with a nearby policeman at the front of the away end, what started out as relatively tame stuff escalated and he ended up being ejected from the ground, much to our delight. It was his own fault really although the copper seemed to take relish in wielding his power.

Anyway the game was pretty entertaining and our defence of the trophy rolled on.

There were three new entries into the top ten week ending 30 November 1991 and a pretty eclectic bunch at that:

Ride Like The Wind by East Side Beat - this was an anaemic disco / dance version of the Christopher Cross song, it had no merit but got to number three.

Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana - having seen them low down the bill a few months back at the Reading festival and written them off, I was taken by surprise by the sudden Nirvana explosion in late 1991. The riff borrows heavily from Boston's classic More Than A Feeling. Out of principal I refused to like the song and i have stuck by my guns to this day, it does nothing for me.

When You Tell Me That You Love Me by Diana Ross - An overwrought ballad delivered by Ross in a style which seemed completely devoid of genuine emotion. It somehow got to number two, I can't imagine anyone choosing to listen to it these days.

Grim Reaper 02-12-2021 09:20 PM

Memories of the United game? Taking the lead was nice - United equalising was annoying.

It is Ryan Giggs that really sticks in my head. He turned 18 the day before this and I was just a week short of my 19th birthday. He played well. Hit the bar from miles out IIRC and we thought - ahhh, this hype that started in spring actually looks justified.

Not that I ever thought I was going to be a footballer but it really hit me that this guy was younger than me and clearly knew what he was going to do in life while I was doing A-level resits and still had no clue what I wanted to do for a career. :confused:

Bloody annoying by the end to lose 3-1.

Ashamed to say that this was a day Palace fans, myself included, went overboard with the Munich songs. It seemed to be a real thing for a few a years in the 90s. A lot of clubs were doing it. Thankfully I think that phase has died out a long time ago - really not required

bubbs11 05-12-2021 01:19 AM

Rumbelows Cup 3rd rd 2nd replay

PALACE 2 Gray. Thorn
BIRMINGHAM 1 Peer

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/D40B8B5...4BE73DB.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/5048D79...8DF72CB.md.jpg
https://s10.gifyu.com/images/9C3506E...15C352D.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/75AA0E0...17A9C14.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/44720A6...A8A806A.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/7C3EAF1...24B5BEC.md.jpg

bubbs11 05-12-2021 08:01 AM

I’m amazed how many games that I know I attended, i have no memory of in this season, especially in comparison to the previous season. Count the two Brum replays to that list.

I guess it’s true what they say, that when you look back at summer’s in your childhood, you only recall the sunny days.

David Giles 05-12-2021 09:31 AM

I went to all three Birmingham games that season. I know this is off topic but games against Birmingham always trigger memories of our two 6-0 wins against them in the 80s. I remember standing on the Sainsbury’s for the home one in disbelief. That was one of the first signs for me that we were making real progress.

bubbs11 07-12-2021 07:07 PM

NORWICH 3 Thorn OG. Beckford. Newman
PALACE 3 Newman OG. McGoldrick. Osborne

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/887F637...ABCACB7.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/AD86096...523E280.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/D949445...C1BDE23.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/45E3694...CD67A87.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/DDFB543...1B26CDB.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/DEE78E0...9B7963B.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/3608274...B27D7BE.md.jpg

dweedman 07-12-2021 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 16133646)
I’m amazed how many games that I know I attended, i have no memory of in this season, especially in comparison to the previous season. Count the two Brum replays to that list.

I guess it’s true what they say, that when you look back at summer’s in your childhood, you only recall the sunny days.

I find it astonishing how some people on here vividly remember every detail of 1-1 draws against Wolves in 1968, meanwhile I look up results from as recently as 3-4 seasons ago that I know I went to (sober, I might add) and of which I have absolutely no recollection.

Grim Reaper 07-12-2021 07:47 PM

I'm in both of those camps dweedman. Can remember the 90s, most games, scores, dates etc.

Ask me about 2016 season and I struggle

stevek 08-12-2021 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 16138232)
I'm in both of those camps dweedman. Can remember the 90s, most games, scores, dates etc.

Ask me about 2016 season and I struggle

Same here (well, except for 2016-17, which I remember all the away games from because of the cycling).

bubbs11 11-12-2021 12:47 PM

ZDS Area semi final

PALACE 0
CHELSEA 1. Dixon

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/C251CA4...D4EE672.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/8F82718...1BA2BD2.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/DCCFD1C...36B1D76.md.jpg

bubbs11 11-12-2021 12:53 PM

A unique moment in our history; the one and only time we’ve been knocked out of a cup as holders. I was one of the 8,000 there, and recall the Sky cameras beaming the game live too. Wasn’t too gutted but remember feeling a little tinge of sadness as we relinquished our title. I think that feeling probably lasted as long as the walk from Selhurst to the car to be honest.

Chelsea actually lost the area final to Southampton, who in turn lost to Cloughie’s Forest in the Wembley final. Clough’s last trophy of a fantastic haul in his career.

Grim Reaper 13-12-2021 10:57 PM

Watched this one on Sky. Can remember the goal but little else tbh.

Stan Ternent being part of the Chelsea staff - mind blown! Really? I had no idea.

Just how many teams was Clive Allen part of that knocked us out of a Cup?? QPR 1982; Spurs 1987 and this Chelsea side. Any others?

Bipe 16-12-2021 08:20 AM

I missed a week on the top ten updates - not that anyone would have cared or noticed, but to satisfy my own conceit...

Week ending 7 December 1991

Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me by George Michael and Elton John - live version of John's old hit, wildly popular and it got to number one. Boring.

Justified and Ancient by The KLF featuring Tammy Wynette - definitely not boring, they threw the kitchen sink at this. Those who said the KLF were taking the piss were missing the point. Yes, they absolutely wanted to undermine and subvert the established norms of the music industry but they also really cared about their product. This was evidenced in the increasingly elaborate and choreographed videos and TV performances as the money started rolling in. The video for this track had production values which Cecil B. De Mille would have been proud of. Would have got to number 1 if Freddie Mercury had lived for a few more weeks, the bastard.

Sound by James - One of several mediocre attempts to capitalise on their big hit Sit Down.

Week ending 14 December 1991

Driven By You by Brian May - Speaking of Queen here's the badger-hugging guitarist popping up with his first solo hit. The track originally surfaced on an advert for Ford cars.

Stars by Simply Red - This song has always particularly ground my gears, the musical equivalent of magnolia paint or plain boiled rice. Which fools liked it enough to buy the damned thing??

If You Go Away by New Kids On The Block - Surprised to note that they were still around by this point. Don't really remember the track.

Too Blind To See It by Kym Sims - An inconsequential but harmless enough slice of handbag house.

Olympian2 16-12-2021 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 16143486)
ZDS Area semi final

PALACE 0
CHELSEA 1. Dixon

I'm just staggered that Kerry Dixon was still playing for Chelsea in 1991!

bubbs11 17-12-2021 05:08 PM

Rumbelows cup 4th rd

SWINDON 0
PALACE 1 Gray

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/5AB8466...35192BD.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/CD9DDD0...E5B29DC.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/138CE48...C9643FB.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/F13E354...A2BDAD8.md.jpg

bubbs11 17-12-2021 05:11 PM

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/5DCD5F2...BADF1E4.md.jpg

Bipe 17-12-2021 06:03 PM

That quote from Smith is absolutely brutal. Presumably with Coppell's full consent - laying the ground for interested clubs to start sniffing around?

John from Beare Green 17-12-2021 06:15 PM

I remembe I went to that Swindon game as I was working in Swindon at the time. I remember Swindon trying to pass the ball out from the back and us quite effectively doing what today we would call a "high press" to counter that.

bubbs11 17-12-2021 08:23 PM

And here’s 20 min highlights of the game.

bubbs11 17-12-2021 08:32 PM

Our cup record was pretty amazing in that space of 6 years after promotion in relation to our previous history. Think the Southampton semi in ‘76 was the only time we’d reached the last 4 of a cup competition, then in a space of 6 seasons we got to 5 semis and 2 finals.

Grim Reaper 19-12-2021 04:58 PM

As of now in 2021, our 5.5 years without a semi final of any kind (I'm including play offs in this as well) is the longest since years leading up to 1989

bubbs11 22-12-2021 11:43 AM

PALACE 1. Fenwick (OG)
SPURS 2. Walsh. Lineker

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/E13FEAB...8D80109.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/500D49F...C873E3D.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/9D7C711...F6DD24B.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/FFD71E5...5131353.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/65D445A...5A0A739.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/6551774...92695E3.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/3B8C4DE...543B223.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/BA3295E...08C464E.md.jpg

averity 22-12-2021 12:08 PM

Lol I’ve got a lot of scrap books from back then, I use to buy the papers and collaborate it all in to a folder hand written, and then keep all the news paper cuttings in another folder lol.

Bipe 22-12-2021 12:50 PM

I vaguely remember the Bright training ground 'bust up' but I have no recollection of the reasons behind it. Can anyone enlighten me?

New entries into the top ten for week ending 21 December 1991:

Bohemian Rhapsody / These Are The Days Of Our Lives by Queen - this went straight in at the top spot as the nation mourned Freddie Mercury. For me Bohemian Rhapsody has always been one of those acid test songs - if you like it then you surely cannot be a true music fan. Dreadful overblown nonsense with lyrics which would make a 10 year old blush. 'Put a gun against his head, pulled the trigger now he's dead' indeed. Anyway it was the second biggest selling single of the year.

Live And Let Die by Guns N' Roses - in which Axl Rose makes an ill-advised attempt at crooning the opening verse - sounding a bit like Kermit The Frog in the process - before the track explodes into the usual GnR frenzy.

We Should Be Together by Cliff Richard - Thankfully I have no recollection of this song but I assume it was another attempt by Cliff to cash in on the Christmas market. He saw himself as something of an expert in the field following his two number ones Mistletoe And Wine and Saviour's Day in the previous two years. It didn't work this time, the song crept in at number 10 for a single week and then disappeared.

Don't Talk Just Kiss by Right Said Fred - These clowns had remained bafflingly popular throughout 1991. This was another substandard piece of fluff with a weak vocal.

So as we definitively established on the 1990/91 game by game thread last year, this week's chart meant that Queen took the coveted Christmas number one slot with their horrific opus. RIP Freddie.

bubbs11 24-12-2021 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 16165687)
I vaguely remember the Bright training ground 'bust up' but I have no recollection of the reasons behind it. Can anyone enlighten me?

Not sure; perhaps fell out with Gabbiadini.

bubbs11 26-12-2021 08:17 AM

WIMBLEDON 1 Barton
PALACE 1 Gabbiadini

Att: 15,009

Palace: Martyn. Southgate. Sinnot. Gray. Mortimer. Humphrey. Gordon. Osborn. Bright. McGoldrick. Sub: Whyte

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/02E4382...BB077BE.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/35A4EA2...20F9FC1.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/6AB61F9...F9D9BA3.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/4A32270...5240855.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/AD3DBFF...93B18C4.md.jpg
https://s10.gifyu.com/images/5D5987C...34AC405.md.jpg

bubbs11 26-12-2021 08:26 AM

Marco: ‘In the last few weeks I’ve received a lot of letters from the fans and in the main they’ve been supportive’

The BBS was alive in its embryonic stage. :D

Grim Reaper 27-12-2021 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 16165687)

Bohemian Rhapsody / These Are The Days Of Our Lives by Queen - this went straight in at the top spot as the nation mourned Freddie Mercury. For me Bohemian Rhapsody has always been one of those acid test songs - if you like it then you surely cannot be a true music fan.

We Should Be Together by Cliff Richard - Thankfully I have no recollection of this song

Harsh on Rhapsody! :eek: That said, having liked it for decades, I realised this year I don't really like it any more. Maybe I've heard it too much and it's worn thin now.

As for Cliff, like you, I cannot remember this at all. You've missed a quirk with your Cliff comment though. He had his two famous No.1's in 1988 and 1990 BUT had been No.1 in 1989 with the Stock Aitken & Waterman remake of Do They Know It's Christmas (the one that always gets forgotten).

He was part of that music stable for a short while, along with Kylie, Jason, Bananarama etc and so had the trivia niche of three consecutive Christmas No.1's.

bubbs11 31-12-2021 10:15 AM

SHEFF UTD 1 Hoyland
PALACE 1 Gabbiadini

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/A888887...9CDB02B.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/1E40F70...AF13153.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/3E6C84A...741DEB5.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/A25625F...235107A.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/57D4015...D948A98.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/3DE23D3...157A8BD.md.jpg

Selhurst300 31-12-2021 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 16159863)
As of now in 2021, our 5.5 years without a semi final of any kind (I'm including play offs in this as well) is the longest since years leading up to 1989

We need a cup run this season. In 1976 we played Millwall away in our run tot he semi-final.

Bipe 31-12-2021 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 16176743)
Harsh on Rhapsody! :eek: That said, having liked it for decades, I realised this year I don't really like it any more. Maybe I've heard it too much and it's worn thin now.

As for Cliff, like you, I cannot remember this at all. You've missed a quirk with your Cliff comment though. He had his two famous No.1's in 1988 and 1990 BUT had been No.1 in 1989 with the Stock Aitken & Waterman remake of Do They Know It's Christmas (the one that always gets forgotten).

He was part of that music stable for a short while, along with Kylie, Jason, Bananarama etc and so had the trivia niche of three consecutive Christmas No.1's.

Sorry you are quite right, I had forgotten about Band Aid II sandwiched in between his two solo festive number ones. Although of course, referring back to last year's 90/91 season debate, Saviour's Day famously didn't get to number 1 until the week after Christmas and it was in fact Vanilla Ice who held the coveted Christmas number 1 slot.

Going back to 1991, the week between Christmas and New Year was always a notoriously fallow period for chart action but there were two new entries into the top ten for week ending 28 December:

Addams Groove by MC Hammer - this was a tie-in to the Addams Family Movie which did quite well at the festive box office. The track itself bobbed along quite jauntily in a forgettable sort of way.

Roobarb and Custard by Shaft - a big rave hit which sampled the late 70s children's TV cartoon of the same name. There was quite a rash of similar dance hits around this time, I remember Sesame Street and Trumpton getting the same treatment as the 20 year olds of the early 90s re-lived their cold war childhoods. I was one of them.

bubbs11 01-01-2022 06:03 AM

PALACE 1 Gabbiadini
NOTTS C 0

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/3DDCCEF...B30439D.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/ABDA7E3...B7EF30D.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/675691F...5E03A13.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/02512EA...AE04DF6.md.jpg

Dario_G 01-01-2022 06:47 AM

So Marco had now scored 3 games in a row. I think that was 7 overall but we decided to cut our losses soon after. Timing seemed strange but the call to get rid must have been made a few weeks prior to this run of games...

Grim Reaper 01-01-2022 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 16184425)
Roobarb and Custard by Shaft - a big rave hit which sampled the late 70s children's TV cartoon of the same name. There was quite a rash of similar dance hits around this time, I remember Sesame Street and Trumpton getting the same treatment as the 20 year olds of the early 90s re-lived their cold war childhoods. I was one of them.

Wow - absolutely do not remember Roobarb & Custard, but do remember the other two you mentioned that would follow in 1992. Loved that Trumpton one at the time.

It's amazing how many songs simply disappear from the public, never to be heard again. Addams Family is one such song. OK for the time - movie was pretty popular but I doubt it's been played on any British radio station in the last ten years UNLESS it was part of a retro chart show. No DJ would ever pick that out and play it on a playlist, yet other songs in the chart then, will get the occasional play - Rosalla, Sabrina Johnson, Mr Big, Guns N Roses, Nirvana etc all from late 1991.

Grim Reaper 01-01-2022 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dario_G (Post 16185278)
So Marco had now scored 3 games in a row. I think that was 7 overall but we decided to cut our losses soon after. Timing seemed strange but the call to get rid must have been made a few weeks prior to this run of games...

7 would be his final total. Was gone by end of January I think.

£600,000 loss was insane. Surely we could have squeezed a bit more money out of Derby for him

Grim Reaper 01-01-2022 07:12 PM

Tommy Thomas - can't say I remember him for Notts County

What a great name - should have been playing at Melchester alonsgide Roy of the Rovers with a name like that!

Grim Reaper 01-01-2022 07:15 PM

Big day as well in football in a general as the naion rejoiced an unlikely hero in ex-Palace man Dennis Bailey. The live ITV match that evening was Man United 1 QPR 4, with the ex-Palace man netting a hat-trick in the process. Was a staple of football trivia questions for a decade as the answer to 'Who was the Last Away Player to Score a Hat-trick at Old Trafford?' until Ronaldo (the fat one) did it for Real Madrid in 2003

Mad Max 01-01-2022 07:49 PM

Just shows how the game can kick you in the ass,where are Notts County now?

Grim Reaper 06-01-2022 07:16 AM

Mid table conference now. Did briefly look to be on for the big time in 2009 with a load of backing and Sven Goran Eriksson as manager in League Two but it soon fizzled out.