CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   1991/92 season - game by game (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=284597)

bubbs11 17-12-2021 08:32 PM

Our cup record was pretty amazing in that space of 6 years after promotion in relation to our previous history. Think the Southampton semi in ‘76 was the only time we’d reached the last 4 of a cup competition, then in a space of 6 seasons we got to 5 semis and 2 finals.

Grim Reaper 19-12-2021 04:58 PM

As of now in 2021, our 5.5 years without a semi final of any kind (I'm including play offs in this as well) is the longest since years leading up to 1989

bubbs11 22-12-2021 11:43 AM

PALACE 1. Fenwick (OG)
SPURS 2. Walsh. Lineker

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/E13FEAB...8D80109.md.jpg



https://s10.gifyu.com/images/500D49F...C873E3D.md.jpg


https://s10.gifyu.com/images/9D7C711...F6DD24B.md.jpg


https://s10.gifyu.com/images/FFD71E5...5131353.md.jpg


https://s10.gifyu.com/images/65D445A...5A0A739.md.jpg


https://s10.gifyu.com/images/6551774...92695E3.md.jpg


https://s10.gifyu.com/images/3B8C4DE...543B223.md.jpg



https://s10.gifyu.com/images/BA3295E...08C464E.md.jpg

averity 22-12-2021 12:08 PM

Lol I’ve got a lot of scrap books from back then, I use to buy the papers and collaborate it all in to a folder hand written, and then keep all the news paper cuttings in another folder lol.

Bipe 22-12-2021 12:50 PM

I vaguely remember the Bright training ground 'bust up' but I have no recollection of the reasons behind it. Can anyone enlighten me?

New entries into the top ten for week ending 21 December 1991:

Bohemian Rhapsody / These Are The Days Of Our Lives by Queen - this went straight in at the top spot as the nation mourned Freddie Mercury. For me Bohemian Rhapsody has always been one of those acid test songs - if you like it then you surely cannot be a true music fan. Dreadful overblown nonsense with lyrics which would make a 10 year old blush. 'Put a gun against his head, pulled the trigger now he's dead' indeed. Anyway it was the second biggest selling single of the year.

Live And Let Die by Guns N' Roses - in which Axl Rose makes an ill-advised attempt at crooning the opening verse - sounding a bit like Kermit The Frog in the process - before the track explodes into the usual GnR frenzy.

We Should Be Together by Cliff Richard - Thankfully I have no recollection of this song but I assume it was another attempt by Cliff to cash in on the Christmas market. He saw himself as something of an expert in the field following his two number ones Mistletoe And Wine and Saviour's Day in the previous two years. It didn't work this time, the song crept in at number 10 for a single week and then disappeared.

Don't Talk Just Kiss by Right Said Fred - These clowns had remained bafflingly popular throughout 1991. This was another substandard piece of fluff with a weak vocal.

So as we definitively established on the 1990/91 game by game thread last year, this week's chart meant that Queen took the coveted Christmas number one slot with their horrific opus. RIP Freddie.

bubbs11 24-12-2021 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 16165687)
I vaguely remember the Bright training ground 'bust up' but I have no recollection of the reasons behind it. Can anyone enlighten me?
.

Not sure; perhaps fell out with Gabbiadini.

bubbs11 26-12-2021 08:17 AM

WIMBLEDON 1 Barton
PALACE 1 Gabbiadini

Att: 15,009

Palace: Martyn. Southgate. Sinnot. Gray. Mortimer. Humphrey. Gordon. Osborn. Bright. McGoldrick. Sub: Whyte

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/02E4382...BB077BE.md.jpg


https://s10.gifyu.com/images/35A4EA2...20F9FC1.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/6AB61F9...F9D9BA3.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/4A32270...5240855.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/AD3DBFF...93B18C4.md.jpg
https://s10.gifyu.com/images/5D5987C...34AC405.md.jpg

bubbs11 26-12-2021 08:26 AM

Marco: ‘In the last few weeks I’ve received a lot of letters from the fans and in the main they’ve been supportive’


The BBS was alive in its embryonic stage. :D

Grim Reaper 27-12-2021 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 16165687)

Bohemian Rhapsody / These Are The Days Of Our Lives by Queen - this went straight in at the top spot as the nation mourned Freddie Mercury. For me Bohemian Rhapsody has always been one of those acid test songs - if you like it then you surely cannot be a true music fan.

We Should Be Together by Cliff Richard - Thankfully I have no recollection of this song

Harsh on Rhapsody! :eek: That said, having liked it for decades, I realised this year I don't really like it any more. Maybe I've heard it too much and it's worn thin now.

As for Cliff, like you, I cannot remember this at all. You've missed a quirk with your Cliff comment though. He had his two famous No.1's in 1988 and 1990 BUT had been No.1 in 1989 with the Stock Aitken & Waterman remake of Do They Know It's Christmas (the one that always gets forgotten).

He was part of that music stable for a short while, along with Kylie, Jason, Bananarama etc and so had the trivia niche of three consecutive Christmas No.1's.

bubbs11 31-12-2021 10:15 AM

SHEFF UTD 1 Hoyland
PALACE 1 Gabbiadini

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/A888887...9CDB02B.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/1E40F70...AF13153.md.jpg


https://s10.gifyu.com/images/3E6C84A...741DEB5.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/A25625F...235107A.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/57D4015...D948A98.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/3DE23D3...157A8BD.md.jpg

Selhurst300 31-12-2021 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 16159863)
As of now in 2021, our 5.5 years without a semi final of any kind (I'm including play offs in this as well) is the longest since years leading up to 1989

We need a cup run this season. In 1976 we played Millwall away in our run tot he semi-final.

Bipe 31-12-2021 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper (Post 16176743)
Harsh on Rhapsody! :eek: That said, having liked it for decades, I realised this year I don't really like it any more. Maybe I've heard it too much and it's worn thin now.

As for Cliff, like you, I cannot remember this at all. You've missed a quirk with your Cliff comment though. He had his two famous No.1's in 1988 and 1990 BUT had been No.1 in 1989 with the Stock Aitken & Waterman remake of Do They Know It's Christmas (the one that always gets forgotten).

He was part of that music stable for a short while, along with Kylie, Jason, Bananarama etc and so had the trivia niche of three consecutive Christmas No.1's.

Sorry you are quite right, I had forgotten about Band Aid II sandwiched in between his two solo festive number ones. Although of course, referring back to last year's 90/91 season debate, Saviour's Day famously didn't get to number 1 until the week after Christmas and it was in fact Vanilla Ice who held the coveted Christmas number 1 slot.

Going back to 1991, the week between Christmas and New Year was always a notoriously fallow period for chart action but there were two new entries into the top ten for week ending 28 December:

Addams Groove by MC Hammer - this was a tie-in to the Addams Family Movie which did quite well at the festive box office. The track itself bobbed along quite jauntily in a forgettable sort of way.

Roobarb and Custard by Shaft - a big rave hit which sampled the late 70s children's TV cartoon of the same name. There was quite a rash of similar dance hits around this time, I remember Sesame Street and Trumpton getting the same treatment as the 20 year olds of the early 90s re-lived their cold war childhoods. I was one of them.

bubbs11 01-01-2022 06:03 AM

PALACE 1 Gabbiadini
NOTTS C 0

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/3DDCCEF...B30439D.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/ABDA7E3...B7EF30D.md.jpg


https://s10.gifyu.com/images/675691F...5E03A13.md.jpg

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/02512EA...AE04DF6.md.jpg

Dario_G 01-01-2022 06:47 AM

So Marco had now scored 3 games in a row. I think that was 7 overall but we decided to cut our losses soon after. Timing seemed strange but the call to get rid must have been made a few weeks prior to this run of games...

Grim Reaper 01-01-2022 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 16184425)
Roobarb and Custard by Shaft - a big rave hit which sampled the late 70s children's TV cartoon of the same name. There was quite a rash of similar dance hits around this time, I remember Sesame Street and Trumpton getting the same treatment as the 20 year olds of the early 90s re-lived their cold war childhoods. I was one of them.


Wow - absolutely do not remember Roobarb & Custard, but do remember the other two you mentioned that would follow in 1992. Loved that Trumpton one at the time.

It's amazing how many songs simply disappear from the public, never to be heard again. Addams Family is one such song. OK for the time - movie was pretty popular but I doubt it's been played on any British radio station in the last ten years UNLESS it was part of a retro chart show. No DJ would ever pick that out and play it on a playlist, yet other songs in the chart then, will get the occasional play - Rosalla, Sabrina Johnson, Mr Big, Guns N Roses, Nirvana etc all from late 1991.

Grim Reaper 01-01-2022 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dario_G (Post 16185278)
So Marco had now scored 3 games in a row. I think that was 7 overall but we decided to cut our losses soon after. Timing seemed strange but the call to get rid must have been made a few weeks prior to this run of games...

7 would be his final total. Was gone by end of January I think.

600,000 loss was insane. Surely we could have squeezed a bit more money out of Derby for him

Grim Reaper 01-01-2022 07:12 PM

Tommy Thomas - can't say I remember him for Notts County

What a great name - should have been playing at Melchester alonsgide Roy of the Rovers with a name like that!

Grim Reaper 01-01-2022 07:15 PM

Big day as well in football in a general as the naion rejoiced an unlikely hero in ex-Palace man Dennis Bailey. The live ITV match that evening was Man United 1 QPR 4, with the ex-Palace man netting a hat-trick in the process. Was a staple of football trivia questions for a decade as the answer to 'Who was the Last Away Player to Score a Hat-trick at Old Trafford?' until Ronaldo (the fat one) did it for Real Madrid in 2003

Mad Max 01-01-2022 07:49 PM

Just shows how the game can kick you in the ass,where are Notts County now?

Grim Reaper 06-01-2022 07:16 AM

Mid table conference now. Did briefly look to be on for the big time in 2009 with a load of backing and Sven Goran Eriksson as manager in League Two but it soon fizzled out.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.