CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   27 people confirmed to have died after boat sinks in the channel (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=285230)

Lazarus 25-11-2021 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips (Post 16119125)
Or we could be really grown up and welcoming and have one in …. The U.K.

I think I’m correct in saying that France already accepts more than four times as many asylum seekers as we do.

How is that fair? Is this your post Brexit vision for global Britain? Are we pulling our weight? I’m not surprised the French think we’re taking the piss.

How is it their responsibility to police every km of their vast coastline to ensure that nobody gets in a boat over to the U.K. who have explicitly told the rest of Europe that we want to be responsible for our own borders?

This is bang on the money. Sorry to go on about it, but I would really urge people to catch on to that documentary, 'The Human Flow'. It was truly an eye opener for me. Human migration is innate to our species and has been going on since the first people moved out of that valley in Africa, and will continue to do so, for a wide variety of reasons. I have worked with many 'economic migrants' in my time, who have taken up jobs in New York, Singapore, Hong Kong, Moscow and elsewhere. They happened to be well paid; does that give them more moral right to migrate for economic reasons?

Worksop Palace 25-11-2021 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips (Post 16119113)
Why do people obsess about the smugglers?

They are only there because governments have utterly failed in their responsibility to humanity.

They are a complete side issue. If one smuggler gets nicked another will pop up.

It’s a systemic issue that can only be solved by government.

No one is ‘obsessing’ about the smugglers.

I think we all agree the governments need to sort this but they are far from a side issue.

We don’t ignore other criminal activity just because if we arrest one perpetrator, ‘another one will pop up’ do we?

What bizarre thinking

GreatGonzo 25-11-2021 12:31 PM

Is this different to migrants transiting through another country and dying of starvation and exposure on the borders of Belarus and Poland?

I have no issue with the UK accepting an number of people who are fleeing countries where their lives and freedoms are in danger, but how many of those trying to cross the channel are in that category?

smileysmith 25-11-2021 12:37 PM

If you voted Tory, this is on you.

Joe85 25-11-2021 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatGonzo (Post 16119146)
Is this different to migrants transiting through another country and dying of starvation and exposure on the borders of Belarus and Poland?

I have no issue with the UK accepting an number of people who are fleeing countries where their lives and freedoms are in danger, but how many of those trying to cross the channel are in that category?

What other category are they in?

Worksop Palace 25-11-2021 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileysmith (Post 16119148)
If you voted Tory, this is on you.

Ah, right. So I’ve got 27 deaths on my hands.

If you voted Labour under Blair, do you also have all the deaths in Iraq on your hands ?

Seems reasonable enough.

Braders 25-11-2021 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroom (Post 16119051)
We’ve always done immigration on the cheap in this country. Put poor people in poor areas and watch them fight over scant resources. You then get a middle class homeowners telling people on a council house waiting list he/she is racist for not wanting 1000s of immigrants.

Immigration done right, costs money (in the short term). We need more social housing/schools/hospitals… we need to accept we probably have to pay a bit more tax… we also need to accept that those at the bottom of the pile (who have already been shit on) can be negatively impacted by immigration and spread the burden more evenly.

In my opinion… if we looked after the poor in this country better… brexit wouldn’t have happened.

Agreed. That won't stop people using this politically to blame Tory voters (I am not one) and that it is on them that these poor ****ers are dying.

No one really cares about these people, including those meaninglessly posting RIP.

brighton_eagle 25-11-2021 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatGonzo (Post 16119146)

Well they are clearly in danger, as this tragic event proves. People that aren't desperate don't risk their lives in an overpacked dinghy that's barely watertight.

Fen Eagle 25-11-2021 12:45 PM

Whilst sad (genuinely) to get to Britain they have already been through at least 4 safe countries to claim asylum. It’s the benefits we hand out that make them risk there lives. We are the most easiest form of a free ride they will get. For every thousand that make it here if one is a terrorist waiting to make a bomb. Then sorry no close the borders.

GreatGonzo 25-11-2021 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe85 (Post 16119149)
What other category are they in?

Well in 2020 41% of asylum applications were accepted, 39% of appeal cases in the courts that year were successful. So from those figures, over 1/3 of those who are claiming asylum are refused by the home office and then the courts.

That is of those who come here and make a claim for asylum. There are many more who go underground, often trafficked for the purpose of being put into modern slavery.

I don't think you can say all those trying to get into the UK are doing so legitimately.

0.bj 25-11-2021 12:47 PM

The photo on the front page of The Sun and The Daily Mail is going to do lots of damage.

There doesn’t seem to be a great deal of critical alternative thought going in about what’s really happening in that still image. For all we know the French border vehicle is still moving, or it’s literally just come to a stop and missed the boat launch by seconds. I’ve certainly not seen any video footage showing the vehicle just sat idly by.

In a normal country you wouldn’t expect a grown-up PM and Home Secretary to base their entire strategy around a single photo that doesn’t really prove anything.

Joe85 25-11-2021 12:48 PM

More than 20 people believed to have died after boat sinks in the channel

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fen Eagle (Post 16119157)
Whilst sad (genuinely) to get to Britain they have already been through at least 4 safe countries to claim asylum. It’s the benefits we hand out that make them risk there lives. We are the most easiest form of a free ride they will get. For every thousand that make it here if one is a terrorist waiting to make a bomb. Then sorry no close the borders.

I genuinely detest sharing this country with thick, racist ***** like this.

Rancid little person.

0.bj 25-11-2021 12:50 PM

Quote:

Benefits they’re not entitled to claim for the first five years? How’s that attractive when they can work legally or claim benefits earlier in other countries.

It’s not logical if on one had you’re accusing them of greed but on the other you’re suggesting they are waiting patiently for the waiting process to expire.

Almost like you’re talking complete bollocks.

smileysmith 25-11-2021 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worksop Palace (Post 16119152)
Ah, right. So I’ve got 27 deaths on my hands.

If you voted Labour under Blair, do you also have all the deaths in Iraq on your hands ?

Seems reasonable enough.

Yes

Fen Eagle 25-11-2021 12:53 PM

The argument that they can do the jobs lazy white Anglo Saxons won’t do is bollocks. Just because your a potato picker doesn’t mean you want your children to be. Every child entering or born here is direct competition for your children and grandchildren. For every one of them that pay fairly there taxes and National insurance will that cover there mother / mother in law’s doctor cost or hospital cost ? Will it pay for there children's state education ? Racist no not in anyway realist yes.

0.bj 25-11-2021 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fen Eagle (Post 16119168)
The argument that they can do the jobs lazy white Anglo Saxons won’t do is bollocks. Just because your a potato picker doesn’t mean you want your children to be. Every child entering or born here is direct competition for your children and grandchildren. For every one of them that pay fairly there taxes and National insurance will that cover there mother / mother in law’s doctor cost or hospital cost ? Will it pay for there children's state education ? Racist no not in anyway realist yes.

You’re an arsehole.

Fen Eagle 25-11-2021 12:55 PM

What have I stated that is racist you dick. It comes down to who picks up the bill, not the Colour of the bill.

Hpalace 25-11-2021 12:57 PM

Quote:

Can we swop 100 of them for you?

brighton_eagle 25-11-2021 12:59 PM

Quote:

You might want to read up on this:

https://www.unhcr.org/refugee-statistics/

The vast majority stay in the first country they get to, and the rest in other countries. A very small proportion end up making it to the UK.

Fen Eagle 25-11-2021 12:59 PM

I don’t do keyboard warrior fighting. I’ll state again I am not a racist and there is nothing I have posted that is racist. Instead of name calling explain to me where I’m going wrong ? Explain and tell me what’s not true about my posts.