CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 07-11-2020 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigend1 (Post 15494576)
Watch jimmy. Watch mccathy. Watch cabaye? Any of them! (To jairo)

So much talent but no urgency and ducked, unforgivably out of a header for the corner that made it 2-2 or 3-2 down if var wasn't shite. That's a massive change to the rest of the game.

I rate him. Really do. Could be too good for us but needs aggression/urgency. Had times to close down and h3 didn't. Ducked from the header etc..

Not to be harsh. A good player.... he could be our cabaye but he needs that last bit. Its right there... can you teach it?!

I agree with you about those moments, they were a concern. Ducking out of the header reminded me of his failure to challenge Mouset (I think it was) when Huddersfield did us.

However, there were some really good moments too. If he can improve the consistency and stop those little moments then he could be really good. But he was still good today in general.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 07-11-2020 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger1 (Post 15494676)
First name on the teamsheet at the moment.

I wouldn't go anywhere near that far but he deserves to keep his shirt for sure.

gilesy14 07-11-2020 05:01 PM

Quote:

So much talent but no urgency and ducked, unforgivably out of a header for the corner that made it 2-2 or 3-2 down if var wasn't shite. That's a massive change to the rest of the game.

I rate him. Really do. Could be too good for us but needs aggression/urgency. Had times to close down and h3 didn't. Ducked from the header etc..

Not to be harsh. A good player.... he could be our cabaye but he needs that last bit. Its right there... can you teach it?!

What a weird, weird (& nonsensical) take.

PalaceRichard 07-11-2020 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 15494688)
I agree with you about those moments, they were a concern. Ducking out of the header reminded me of his failure to challenge Mouset (I think it was) when Huddersfield did us.

However, there were some really good moments too. If he can improve the consistency and stop those little moments then he could be really good. But he was still good today in general.

This is probably the reason that Roy hasn't started him regularly before this latest run. The thing is that there is the chance to transition the way we play from the more predictable combinations of Luka/the 2 JMs/Kouyate in the middle to someone who can actually pass it and initiate attacks via the middle. Given Jairo's age and the names who are out of contract next year it is vital that he is given the chance of a good run in the team with next season and beyond in mind. I would agree with those who say that he probably needs someone very energetic and aggressive to play alongside in the centre. We probably have enough to get through this season but maybe this could be where Flynn Downes (or similar) fits in eventually.

mushroom 07-11-2020 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 15494688)

Yep. I saw a few things that have concerned me in last few games (Iíve also seen loads of good things). Sometimes he seems to ball watch, while players run off the back of him. Iím guessing the CM role is still relatively new to him

Timbo 07-11-2020 05:06 PM

Improving every game. Showed even more urgency today and proved that he has the timing to be decent in aerial challenges

palacemetros 07-11-2020 05:09 PM

I liked his contribution today and he was unfortunate not to get the 90 minutes. He gives us a playmaker in the middle rather than a bunch of stoppers and it was noticeable that we by-passed the centre after he went off.

Pleased he is finally showing some distinct promise in his more effective central role.

foxinthebox 07-11-2020 05:12 PM

I'm a convert. Thought he was finished here. I feel we have got a bit lucky and this wasn't "the plan" with him but I'll take it!!

Yes he's got bits too improve on but given how little top level football he's had in the last 3 seasons it's no surprise. He is very intelligent in tight spaces and think he will pick up other bits the more he plays. Guaranteed starter for now.

Well done Jairo. Speaks volumes for his attitude too

Thefunkymonk 07-11-2020 05:13 PM

Quote:

MacArthur was one of poorer players today

bigend1 07-11-2020 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philsick (Post 15494637)
You're pretty much alone with your constant criticism of jairo. Player of the month , awarded motm nearly every game on here, got all the attributes to be a star for us but you have to keep digging him out and wanting an average journeyman mcarthy to replace him just cause he's feisty tackler. He's quality.

Its only just criticism if you ignore the praise in every single post I've made about him!

I want more because he can! He has the technical ability but not the aggression. He has a great tackle but without it he doesn't nudge, push, pull a shirt, close the distance etc..just as important. I want him to do it because he could. Its what cabaye did and its what makes the difference.

People completely ignore him ducking out of a header today will nail jimmy for the pass he didn't make despite the turn ans pass that he did 5 mind before. Ppl wrote ayew off for us for not heading clear from 1 corner first season for us despite that being indecision and his unrelentless battling ever since.

Pubface 07-11-2020 05:18 PM

Been a big fan of Jairo and said for past couple of seasons to Palace mates that he would come good. Our best player at keeping possession.

Joe.L 07-11-2020 05:31 PM

Can't believe some of the comments on here. Jairo has been by far our best midfield player so far this season. Everyone raves about the two Mac's and Luka because of their aggression and work rate, but they are all guilty of persistently giving away possession and putting the defence under constant pressure. Jairo may not be the best at some of these parts of the midfield role but he is still decent. However he makes for any shortfalls that may or may not exist with his excellent passing ability. I'm just so pleased at last we have someone capable of retaining possession.

cantspell 07-11-2020 05:32 PM

Well played Jairo - the modern Speroni!

bigend1 07-11-2020 05:32 PM

Look i really wanna get in to an in depth debate about it without using single sentence shite. Too rare here. Got a crazy toddler ans going into one day off so want to come back to this despite my next awol inability to finish what I start.

I'm a fan of jairo!I want more because I think he can! Its not a bad thing!

Chill your boots!

He DOES need more to be the player he can be! Its not a bad thing

CP-RJW 07-11-2020 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk (Post 15494763)
MacArthur was one of poorer players today

Thought he was fine, but I'd sooner drop Macca than I would drop Jairo.

gilesy14 07-11-2020 05:35 PM

This is just standard Palace fan behaviour. Just because he doesn’t win every header or crunch into tackles like Jedinak, or run about non stop like McArthur - some fans won’t rate him. It was similar when we got Cabaye - the most gifted centre mid we’ve ever had. But a large number of our fanbase rate work rate over ability.

Jairo is a joy to behold. For want of a better phrase, he’s just a lovely footballer. The guy has barely played in 3 years, yet is putting in great performances in centre mid. Why people feel the need to pick holes, I’ll never know. He’ll only get better, & for me, is a complete breath of fresh air compared to the beyond mediocre performances the likes of Luka has been serving up for the past 2 seasons.

Golf Boy 07-11-2020 05:40 PM

Are people actually criticising Jairo?

BillyTKid 07-11-2020 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilesy14 (Post 15494832)
This is just standard Palace fan behaviour. Just because he doesnít win every header or crunch into tackles like Jedinak, or run about non stop like McArthur - some fans wonít rate him. It was similar when we got Cabaye - the most gifted centre mid weíve ever had. But a large number of our fanbase rate work rate over ability.

Jairo is a joy to behold. For want of a better phrase, heís just a lovely footballer. The guy has barely played in 3 years, yet is putting in great performances in centre mid. Why people feel the need to pick holes, Iíll never know. Heíll only get better, & for me, is a complete breath of fresh air compared to the beyond mediocre performances the likes of Luka has been serving up for the past 2 seasons.

Yep. Breath of fresh air is a good phrase. Same with Eze. A real pleasure to see players use close control to turn in a tight spot and then thread a difficult pass.

bigend1 07-11-2020 05:41 PM

My comment i must admit assumes knowledge of my previous posts. I am a fan. But he could ve so very good for us.

I will elaborate

Gilesy14 that isn't where I'm going with it. You've been here long enough to know I'm not obsessed with rhe hard worker because I'm pretty sure (could ve wrong tho) you've slagged me off for saying Kelly is limited despite his effort! Can't have both

SOUTHGATE EAGLE 07-11-2020 05:41 PM

I wish we had two Jairo's in midfield. Our overall passing stats and use of the ball would be so much better and more than make up for the alleged issues he has. He's not the perfect midfielder but is a decent tackler and runner and his passing is as good as we've had since promotion. He will split a few defenses with a single pass this season, something we almost never do. Jairo can also play LB or CB. A new contract is required because, along with Eze, Banks, Mitchell, Ferguson and Dreher, he could be a mainstay of our squad for years to come.

Thank God our traditionally regressive system didn't cost us his services along with a plethora of able strikers.