CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

glenn.f 08-11-2020 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 15495841)
He wouldn't have started today. Roy is just bemoaning a harsh decision.

Academic I know but I'd lay money that Roy would have played Luka in with Jairo for this game had his suspension been lifted. For what it's worth but I reckon a fully McCarthy in alongside Jairo and Eze would cover a lot of bases for us.

Martin H 08-11-2020 04:38 PM

In matches so far I would say Jairo has looked better alongside McArthur than anyone. Just looks a better and better balanced partnership. Yesterday wasn’t the right day for it but Jairo naturally takes the ball from the defenders and circulates it well typically but alongside Luka they are both trying to do the same role I think. Sure he would do well alongside McCarthy who is another senior pro/natural team player but Macca would be my choice so far.

All the talk about Roy would never do this or that is meaningless.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 08-11-2020 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenn.f (Post 15496198)
Academic I know but I'd lay money that Roy would have played Luka in with Jairo for this game had his suspension been lifted. For what it's worth but I reckon a fully McCarthy in alongside Jairo and Eze would cover a lot of bases for us.

I disagree. McArthur and Jairo was first choice earlier in the season before injuries and think they still are. But of course we will never know now, so you are right that it's academic.

bodger 08-11-2020 06:12 PM

JR has got to be the man now until his performances dip, it looks to be a better balance he has scored from open play passes well defends well, its far more positive then the two Mcs who are to similar.

Worksop Palace 08-11-2020 06:15 PM

Luka shouldn’t be anywhere near first choice. Sorry.

Timbo 08-11-2020 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worksop Palace (Post 15496347)
Luka shouldn’t be anywhere near first choice. Sorry.

Agree JR and McArthur for me with McCarthy next choice in. Luka is either finished or needs to rebuild in the reserves

Stellavista 08-11-2020 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celestial Empire (Post 15495918)
RH, who actually knows what is going on with his squad, has indicated that he sees Jairo 'n Luka as our preferred mid-field pair.

Where was that said?

glaziers fan 08-11-2020 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 15496328)
I disagree. McArthur and Luka was first choice earlier in the season before injuries and think they still are. But of course we will never know now, so you are right that it's academic.

No. All pre-season it was Jairo and McArthur wasn’t it? That said Luka was missing (injury or corona)? Jairo got injured just before the first game. Otherwise I think he would have played the Southampton game imho. Maccas played the first one consequently.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 08-11-2020 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glaziers fan (Post 15496389)
No. All pre-season it was Jairo and McArthur wasnít it? That said Luka was missing (injury or corona)? Jairo got injured just before the first game. Otherwise I think he would have played the Southampton game imho. Maccas played the first one consequently.

Yeah, I meant to say Jairo and McArthur. Brain fail from me.

Mr_Gristle 08-11-2020 07:27 PM

FDB with an eye for a player?

Jairo has come a long way from the FDB 3 at the back horror show. Great to see him reaping the rewards of hard work and earning Roy's trust in so doing.

adrenalin john 08-11-2020 07:51 PM

Hodgson has come in for a lot of criticism for not playing Jairo previously. Could it be the case that he actually deserves praise for getting Jairo to add the necessary workrate, defensive nous, and focus to his obvious ability to become an effective premier league midfielder? So much so that he is now looking like a highly accomplished player.

He did well as an emergency left back, but previously in midfield he would switch off too often and tended to pass but not move. Now he is on it 97% of the time, if he can raise that to 100% he will be first choice for us for the next 8 years.

Someone mentioned him in the same vein as Speroni, who as Spilloni had a similarly shaky start to his Palace career but buckled down to become a club legend. Not saying it will happen but it is an interesting comparison nonetheless

ollie_porter 08-11-2020 08:01 PM

I would go with Luka + Jairo as our preferred partnership in the middle, especially if it means Eze + Townsend can continue their fluid movement up top with Zaha/Ayew or Bats.

I think the criticism Luka gets on here is unfair. Yes, he was poor last season but v Wolves, he was the only one of our players that could actually pass the ball through the lines and set us on the attack.

adrenalin john 08-11-2020 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollie_porter (Post 15496489)
I would go with Luka + Jairo as our preferred partnership in the middle, especially if it means Eze + Townsend can continue their fluid movement up top with Zaha/Ayew or Bats.

I think the criticism Luka gets on here is unfair. Yes, he was poor last season but v Wolves, he was the only one of our players that could actually pass the ball through the lines and set us on the attack.

I am sure Luka will bounce back, but right now Macarthur and Jairo are our first pick.

With PVA, Clyne, Townsend, Jairo, Macarthur, Eze, Wilf and Ayew in the team we are more mobile and fluid than at any other time since we have been promoted to the Premier League.

Hazbaz 08-11-2020 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenn.f (Post 15496198)

Yes I like the idea of McCarthy alongside Jairo he has just a bit of extra bite for me

cappuccinoeagle 08-11-2020 09:16 PM

Have Netherlands got upcoming matches? Surprised he didnít make the squad.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 08-11-2020 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrenalin john (Post 15496465)
Hodgson has come in for a lot of criticism for not playing Jairo previously. Could it be the case that he actually deserves praise for getting Jairo to add the necessary workrate, defensive nous, and focus to his obvious ability to become an effective premier league midfielder? So much so that he is now looking like a highly accomplished player.

He did well as an emergency left back, but previously in midfield he would switch off too often and tended to pass but not move. Now he is on it 97% of the time, if he can raise that to 100% he will be first choice for us for the next 8 years.

Someone mentioned him in the same vein as Speroni, who as Spilloni had a similarly shaky start to his Palace career but buckled down to become a club legend. Not saying it will happen but it is an interesting comparison nonetheless

Precisely my thoughts.

Liam_Palace 09-11-2020 07:08 AM

Set to sign a new long term deal according to David Ornstien at the Athletic in his weekly column. Great news.

aj4england 09-11-2020 07:50 AM

Ridewald has been fantastic. Now he is getting a run of games he is showing his class. Adding a yard of pace (easier said than done) would elevate his game but so far so good. Jimmy Mac my preferred option next to him as he bridges the play better but also offers workrate (Covering our attacking full backs) and is quicker than Luka.

Ideally, would love to see us go and target a top centre mid in Jan to partner next to Jairo, potentially moving Meyer, Sakho or Kelly out, to free up some funds. If we are to persist with 4-4-2 then having a top centre mid would help us maintain this style of play much easier and cover for the inevitable injuries we will pick up with an ageing squad.

stinky 09-11-2020 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam_Palace (Post 15496759)
Set to sign a new long term deal according to David Ornstien at the Athletic in his weekly column. Great news.

This is excellent news

Soarin' Eagles 09-11-2020 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam_Palace (Post 15496759)

Excellent news if true! :lux: