CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

cockles 09-11-2020 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle (Post 15497484)
Pretty much how I feel about Jairo. I don't think he helped himself for a long old time by basically not giving a shit. I still have visions of him being the worst player on the pitch in a Palace U23 v AFC Wimbledon U23 friendly last Summer. I guess something must have finally clicked with him that he better get his arse in gear, and thankfully he has made the necessary changes and that has been recognised by Roy and the coaches and rewarded with a chance which he has actually taken.

Especially now, you really hear Ray Lewington talking certain player through the match. He has always focused a lot on "Jairo", yelling out encouragement.

Ray Lewington is doing half the role of what an on field captain used to do. I don't see it acknowledged on the BBS at all, but I'm sure I am not the only one who notices.

Jim Cannon 09-11-2020 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockles (Post 15497579)
Especially now, you really hear Ray Lewington talking certain player through the match. He has always focused a lot on "Jairo", yelling out encouragement.

Ray Lewington is doing half the role of what an on field captain used to do. I don't see it acknowledged on the BBS at all, but I'm sure I am not the only one who notices.

Impossible not to notice, Lewington is very loud!

I wonder whether they were just frustrated with him at some point, because I recall Roy saying something about they knew he was technically gifted but didn't seem to fit in the Palace way. Now they have coached him and he is doing what they want, he is getting games.

Skintagain 10-11-2020 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cannon (Post 15497582)
Impossible not to notice, Lewington is very loud!

I wonder whether they were just frustrated with him at some point, because I recall Roy saying something about they knew he was technically gifted but didn't seem to fit in the Palace way. Now they have coached him and he is doing what they want, he is getting games.

He was actually bought as a centre-half so what he's doing now especially in a forward position is quite different. I imagine that didn't come overnight.

beef 10-11-2020 07:14 AM

My only fear is he is the new Tommy Black

cantspell 10-11-2020 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beef (Post 15498036)

No - he is the new Speroni

stinky 10-11-2020 09:11 AM

Quote:

Did Tommy Black play in a Europa League final and for his country?

Dal 10-11-2020 09:16 AM

Tommy Black hit me in the face with a ball during the warm-up at Pompey away once. Knocked my glasses off but he did apologise with a little 'sorry' wave.

beef 10-11-2020 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinky (Post 15498115)
Did Tommy Black play in a Europa League final and for his country?

Not sure how he did with Southend but doubt it

Olympian2 10-11-2020 09:48 AM

Quote:

If he'll be winning crucial penalties, that's fine by me.

That Walsall dive was wonderful :p

beef 10-11-2020 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympian2 (Post 15498137)
If he'll be winning crucial penalties, that's fine by me.

That Walsall dive was wonderful :p

:D had a great view of that on the day. What a memory!

LuieJack 10-11-2020 10:29 AM

What it shows is that the quality is there it simply needs to be encouraged, and the best way to do so is being given game time and as a consequence, we are now starting to see Riedewald blossom as a player.
I have said this many times previously, the same opportunity needs to be given to Max Meyer who without doubt is a true quality player but needs a good long run in the team and not just brought in for a few games, also he needs the right players alongside but also with the right system to suit if we are to see the best of him.
You dont become a full German International at 21 but also being talked about as one of their best prospects without having talent and yet is still under 25 yrs old, it really would be shamefull to simply discard him without truly seeing what he can offer CPFC.
Ideally i would like to see him played in a Midfield with a Defensive shield of McCarthy and Riedewald with Zaha, Eze, Meyer ahead of them and with Batshuayi as lone striker.

stinky 10-11-2020 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuieJack (Post 15498183)
What it shows is that the quality is there it simply needs to be encouraged, and the best way to do so is being given game time and as a consequence, we are now starting to see Riedewald blossom as a player.
I have said this many times previously, the same opportunity needs to be given to Max Meyer who without doubt is a true quality player but needs a good long run in the team and not just brought in for a few games, also he needs the right players alongside but also with the right system to suit if we are to see the best of him.
You dont become a full German International at 21 but also being talked about as one of their best prospects without having talent and yet is still under 25 yrs old, it really would be shamefull to simply discard him without truly seeing what he can offer CPFC.
Ideally i would like to see him played in a Midfield with a Defensive shield of McCarthy and Riedewald with Zaha, Eze, Meyer ahead of them and with Batshuayi as lone striker.

Meyer has had numerous chances. There's a reason Roy and his coaching staff don't play him, unless you think you are better qualified than Roy Hodgson and Ray Lewington?

Johnsonpen 10-11-2020 10:38 AM

As for new Tommy Black, No, that was Benteke and Wickham who scored all those goals to get a new contract.........

Jim Cannon 10-11-2020 10:49 AM

Quote:

I have said this many times previously, the same opportunity needs to be given to Max Meyer who without doubt is a true quality player but needs a good long run in the team and not just brought in for a few games

So we need to drop somebody to accomodate a player who hasn't delivered, in the hope he might. The management clearly see this makes no sense which is why they don't play him. It's a shame, we all hoped Meyer was going to be a great signing, but he hasn't been. Being in his final year now, I expect him to leave the club

El Aguila 10-11-2020 10:57 AM

Was it the 36 games Max was given in 2018/19, or the 19 in 2019/20, that didn't add up to a proper opportunity?

stinky 10-11-2020 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Aguila (Post 15498210)
Was it the 36 games Max was given in 2018/19, or the 19 in 2019/20, that didn't add up to a proper opportunity?

******* bonkers isn't it. People still demanding Meyer is given a chance, somehow thinking they know more than professional coaches.

whereEaglesFly 10-11-2020 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Aguila (Post 15498210)

He was given the equivalent of 16 league games that season, often looking good when coming off from the bench.

It's taken Hodgson 4 years to give Jairo a chance and he looks one of our best players so far this season.

Ticehurst 10-11-2020 11:49 AM

Do people on here think jairo suddenly out of no were is possibly the first midfielder Roy picked now refreshing as that's the sort of player we all have in mind if we want to see the attacking football we crave...Would love a athletic young box to box midfielder next to him..for how brilliant koyate has been at center back..Jairo ,,- Koyate could be very decent with Cahill and Tompkins behind..???

Hazbaz 10-11-2020 11:57 AM

Quote:

Thatís 7 players plus assume you still want a GK so would you move to a back 3?

stinky 10-11-2020 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazbaz (Post 15498255)
Thatís 7 players plus assume you still want a GK so would you move to a back 3?

4231 with a GK is 11 players. As much as I disagree with everything he says re: Meyer, he got the amount of players right.