CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

LuieJack 29-07-2018 01:15 PM

For all the stick he has taken on here, FDB also needs congratulating for spotting the talent that clearly was there with Riedewald when he signed him, he also knew the best system JR fitted into providing he had the right players around him. We will never get to know what FDB plans were.
As for JR he has taken time to come to the forefront understandably with all the turmoil that happened around him and at just 21 in a foreign land its no wonder we never saw his better performances last season. So with pre season and Roy's help will see big improvements, but we also need to show patience and not rush him into the team as he develops his confidence but i think he has what is needed to become a regular in the months ahead.

bodger 29-07-2018 01:42 PM

It looks like RH sees him in Lukas role, that may give Luka the YC position i can see that working well.

Martin H 29-07-2018 01:44 PM

I have realised for a long time that we all see players and performances differently but this bs about Jairo being fat just makes me wonder about people’s eyesight. Beyond that who is it that would believe some ‘fat dude’ would get near to starting a match. Crazy world.

bigend1 29-07-2018 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuieJack (Post 14357615)
For all the stick he has taken on here, FDB also needs congratulating for spotting the talent that clearly was there with Riedewald when he signed him, he also knew the best system JR fitted into providing he had the right players around him. We will never get to know what FDB plans were.
As for JR he has taken time to come to the forefront understandably with all the turmoil that happened around him and at just 21 in a foreign land its no wonder we never saw his better performances last season. So with pre season and Roy's help will see big improvements, but we also need to show patience and not rush him into the team as he develops his confidence but i think he has what is needed to become a regular in the months ahead.

Fdb signed him as a cb and he was awful

Ajax fans laughed at how much we paid for him

I hope he makes it here, Iíve been increasingly impressed through preseason and think he has got potential but certainly not as first choice this season.

We paid way way over the odds for someone that wasnít good enough for what he was bought for. Happily it looks like we might get him better in another position. Iím not sure sucking franks cock is really needed for this

Thefunkymonk 29-07-2018 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 14357493)
Sorry fellas, Iím just not seeing it. As for the weight gain, itís evident for everyone to see..

Assume your a finely turned athlete yourself....

My guess is not

Billy Rhino 29-07-2018 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 14357442)
Heís a good example of why weíve got no money to spend. Weíve frittered away way too much money on average players with little to no resale value. This guy is bang average & his weight gain is a sign of his commitment to his playing career. Iíd say move him on but I canít see who would want him so we can write off another £8 million.

Strange time to say this comment as his stock is up at the moment. I agree it did seem a lot of money, likewise with Sorloth, but these sorts of signings are the way forward. What we really should be doing is signing a few more promising young players for around £1-2m.

There's no easy answer though as either short term or long term options have risks attached to them. The only thing the club can really do is get the best scouting system it can and hope the majority of the signings work.

Dave Hedgehog 29-07-2018 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigend1 (Post 14357677)

Basing your opinion of a player on what a few teenagers say on Twitter is not going to end well.

West Ham also told us we had overpaid for Tomkins etc etc etc...

Danny boy 29-07-2018 02:38 PM

8m for a very talented young midfielder is excellent value.

Billy Rhino 29-07-2018 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk (Post 14357681)

My guess is not

Whats that got to do with anything?

Martin H 29-07-2018 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigend1 (Post 14357677)
Fdb signed him as a cb and he was awful

I hope he makes it here, Iíve been increasingly impressed through preseason and think he has got potential but certainly not as first choice this season.

We paid way way over the odds for someone that wasnít good enough for what he was bought for. Happily it looks like we might get him better in another position. Iím not sure sucking franks cock is really needed for this

So exactly how many games have you seen him play at CB then? One?

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 29-07-2018 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palace43 (Post 14357600)
You realise the gap is at central midfield? The position that Riedewald actually plays?

As you have gone for that patronising tone, I will too.

You do realise he was signed last season? And at that point central midfield was NOT the position we needed someone for? And that he was actually signed as a left sided centre back in a back 3? Despite a huge injury crisis he still only started 4 games last season and was only used as a sub on 8 ocassions?

So, yes, there is certainly a valid argument we could have spent it better as we went forward with only 2 goal keepers and started the season with only one recognised striker. Moreover, he still, even now has yet to show he is good enough as a central midfielder in the PL. I agree that he looked decent yesterday but we were playing a poor Championship side.

Gyro1780 29-07-2018 02:58 PM

Not sure on him being first choice yet but can see him getting a lot more game time this season.

CP-RJW 29-07-2018 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 14357761)
Moreover, he still, even now has yet to show he is good enough as a central midfielder in the PL.

He’s started in midfield 3 times in the Prem. 1 brilliant performance vs Man City, 1 good performance vs Burnley, 1 meh performance vs Spurs. So when he gets a chance, he does pretty decent.

Thefunkymonk 29-07-2018 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Rhino (Post 14357753)
Whats that got to do with anything?

Iím guessing RH, his staff, the players and Jairo know if heís fat or not.. not some dude behind a keyboard that probably isnít an athlete himself. Donít get how people find it difficult to comprehend.. heís wearing a baggier shirt through choice..

Bovril Dan 29-07-2018 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 14357442)
He’s a good example of why we’ve got no money to spend. We’ve frittered away way too much money on average players with little to no resale value. This guy is bang average & his weight gain is a sign of his commitment to his playing career. I’d say move him on but I can’t see who would want him so we can write off another £8 million.

Couldn`t disagree more ! I have been fortunate enough to go to the Helsingor, Oxford and Reading games and for me, with the exception of Zaha, he has been the stand out player. I see him as very much a part of the squad this year, either as the DM, pushing Luka forward, or replacement for Luka should he get injured.

Ifill Over 29-07-2018 04:00 PM

I am undecided about him. I need to see more of him. In his defence, he came into the team playing the Ajax keep ball, which is alien to us. He has had to adjust to the premier league and the style of a different manager. He does appear to be one of the best passers of the ball. He needs games, which he did not get last season.

So he likes a loose fitting shirt, that does not make him fat.

Let's get behind the lad.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 29-07-2018 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14357792)
He’s started in midfield 3 times in the Prem. 1 brilliant performance vs Man City, 1 good performance vs Burnley, 1 meh performance vs Spurs. So when he gets a chance, he does pretty decent.

Im not disputing that to honest, although he was poor when he started there against Bristol City in the cup. I am saying that with him making so few appearances (as a result of not being selected) there is certainly an argument that we could have sent the money better.

glaziers fan 29-07-2018 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 14357492)
I certainly wouldn't say he was a "waste" and its way too early to suggest that. But I think with the budget constraints we've had in recent windows and gaps in the squad it is very reasonable to ask if we could have spent it better.

I think his arrival (and Sorloth plus Jach) has signalled a move towards younger players being acquired. It is something that needed to happen at some point but perhaps the switch to that happened too soon. Imagine if our rumoured £15 budget had £9m + £8m + £3m. That would have more than doubled our budget to fill holes in our first XI with the 2 players we need.

As for Jairo, I like him but think he lacks bite, intensity and ultimately pace. For me a midfield of Luka and Jairo would be too slow. Good passer though, and should make an impact as a squad player this season.

Tim 29-07-2018 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk (Post 14357681)

My guess is not

Your guess is correct. I could use one Jairoís magic t-shirts..

CP-RJW 29-07-2018 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 14357895)
Im not disputing that to honest, although he was poor when he started there against Bristol City in the cup. I am saying that with him making so few appearances (as a result of not being selected) there is certainly an argument that we could have sent the money better.

I was more addressing the ‘even now he is yet to show he is good enough as a central midfielder in the PL.’ In Hodgson’s system, only two central midfielders are needed. The injury crisis didn’t affect Luka, or Macca (although I know he started wide at times), and only injured Cabaye for a few games. So it’s not really a surprise that Jairo didn’t get much game time.