CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The Damian Delaney Appreciation Thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=251125)

marky1919 11-03-2014 11:58 PM

The Damian Delaney Appreciation Thread
 
What the title says ...

I think Delaney has been pretty much a rock in the last few games and fully deserves his place. Even the goals we've conceded recently, not many have been down to him.

Yes we all know, and he'll be the first to admit, he's not going to beat people with immense skill or be 100% positionally aware every game or the fastest player ever. And the day one of his 60-yard hoofs reaches a Palace player, I'll sing my heart out, but what you do get is no nonsense 100% commitment and he has stuck his head in where it hurts countless times this season.

In my opinion, an unsung hero of the current side. Pulis obviously rates him as is the only central defender that hasn't been dropped this season, which, for a Premier League defender, is no mean feat! I think he's played every single game?

Anyway, this is a tip of the hat to the big Irishman and for all the hard work and gutsy displays he has given and will continue to do in a Palace shirt.

Keep it up Damo! :p

mroakley9 12-03-2014 12:15 AM

Amen Brother.

Jim Cannons Moustache 12-03-2014 08:24 AM

I disagree. I think he has been 100% positionally aware this season. Defending these days is all about being organised and in the right position and I can't remember him getting caught out in this regard once. Its why he has adapted better than Moxey for example, that defenders instinct to be in the right place at the right time cannot be taught - its no different to the instinct of a goal poacher in the 6 yard box that commentaters always bang on about. I think Delaney has surprised everybody this year!

Psychokiller 12-03-2014 08:27 AM

He's played out of his skin, and at a level I didn't realise he was capable of. Given that he was on the verge of quitting football altogether when we signed him, it's a remarkable turnaround. I guess he didn't think he'd get another crack at the Premier League and wants to savour every minute. Long may it continue :lux:

ExiledStirling 12-03-2014 08:29 AM

Love his attitude and commitment

CPFC_DAVE77 12-03-2014 08:31 AM

Nailed on POTY despite not being our best player - it's the CPFC way.

Psychokiller 12-03-2014 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPFC_DAVE77 (Post 11617009)
Nailed on POTY despite not being our best player - it's the CPFC way.

Nah, that's Moxey. Because apparently he "understands the culture of this club" or something?

Jim Cannons Moustache 12-03-2014 08:33 AM

Bearing in mind all but two of our wins have been tight games where we kept clean sheets you could argue he is the main reason we are in with a reasonable shout of staying up, because of that I make him my player of the seaso..

mushroom 12-03-2014 08:40 AM

He reminds me of a good Clint Hill.

Jim Cannons Moustache 12-03-2014 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPFC_DAVE77 (Post 11617009)
Nailed on POTY despite not being our best player - it's the CPFC way.

I'd say it would be more the palace way to give it to an attacker in a season where we are the lowest scorers in europe! :D

eastend eagle 12-03-2014 08:44 AM

His reaction at Wembley said it all. He's grateful to be here, and grabbing the opportunity with a tight grip. I knew he was a decent defender, but I have to admit, he's surprised me with the quality he has produced this season. Second only to Ward for me, in terms of POTY.

CPFC_DAVE77 12-03-2014 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psychokiller (Post 11617012)
Nah, that's Moxey. Because apparently he "understands the culture of this club" or something?

I bet you 50 that Delaney wins POTY...

CPFC_DAVE77 12-03-2014 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cannons Moustache (Post 11617028)
I'd say it would be more the palace way to give it to an attacker in a season where we are the lowest scorers in europe! :D

Yea, and it would be Palace to give it to Cameron Jerome, too.

stevek 12-03-2014 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psychokiller (Post 11617012)
Nah, that's Moxey. Because apparently he "understands the culture of this club" or something?

Seriously, wtf are you so anti-Moxey?

Psychokiller 12-03-2014 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek (Post 11617062)
Seriously, wtf are you so anti-Moxey?

I've nothing against him as a human being and I'd never accuse him of giving anything less than 100%. But he is so out of his depth at this level it's unreal. And when you have Palace fans on Twitter telling him that an England call up must be just around the corner I think a bit of reality needs to be shared about.

kolinkins 12-03-2014 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psychokiller (Post 11617205)
I've nothing against him as a human being and I'd never accuse him of giving anything less than 100%. But he is so out of his depth at this level it's unreal. And when you have Palace fans on Twitter telling him that an England call up must be just around the corner I think a bit of reality needs to be shared about.

Shh he'll search you.

Psychokiller 12-03-2014 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolinkins (Post 11617210)
Shh he'll search you.

You think I care?

kolinkins 12-03-2014 10:38 AM

In terms of Delaney, he's proving a lot of us (me high on the list) wrong especially since:

1 - Pulis came in
2 - He could stop worrying about covering the left back area

Playing that little bit deeper, he is looking more assured and concentration is better too. Keep it up Damo!

PalaceMonkey 12-03-2014 10:39 AM

I've just had a Delaney haircut.

gilesy14 12-03-2014 10:39 AM

Delaney has been nothing short of immense this season. There were huge question marks over both him & Gabbidon at the start of the season, but I think both have been largely very good.

Definitely in our top 3 performers this season, along with Ward & Chamakh. He really has done himself proud.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.