CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Recommend a TV programme (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=187551)

Nostrils 02-03-2018 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sydney eagle (Post 14139257)
Finished seven seconds

Great series

Me too. Everything about it was brilliant.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 02-03-2018 01:39 PM

I like to watch 'Strike Back' when I'm tired, and just fancy some light hearted fun, explosions, and knockers.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 02-03-2018 02:22 PM

Have just discovered a show called Camelot, starring Joseph Fiennes and Eva Green. Was not aware of its existence, even though it was made back in 2011. I will be giving it a try.

little al 02-03-2018 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro (Post 14139734)
I like to watch 'Strike Back' when I'm tired, and just fancy some light hearted fun, explosions, and knockers.

Just found this last week, just started series 2, pretty good.

PeterH 02-03-2018 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostrils (Post 14139279)
Me too. Everything about it was brilliant.

This or Black Mirror next for me.

Nostrils 02-03-2018 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 14140053)
This or Black Mirror next for me.

Ashamed to say I haven't got round to watching Black Mirror yet, but Seven Seconds is 10hrs of excellence imo.

danpalace07 02-03-2018 06:10 PM

Black Mirror S4 was average. Yank influence diluting it imo. A bit try hard these days

Been cracking on with Game of Thrones recently (just finished S2) and I'm enjoying though feel it's a bit overhyped. Very different shows of course but it's not in the Mad Men, Breaking Bad league that people seem to put it in.

cappuccinoeagle 02-03-2018 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro (Post 14139838)
Have just discovered a show called Camelot, starring Joseph Fiennes and Eva Green. Was not aware of its existence, even though it was made back in 2011. I will be giving it a try.

Its not great but Eva does get naked

SgtStryker 02-03-2018 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cappuccinoeagle (Post 14140397)
Its not great but Eva does get naked

:lux:lux:

glenn.f 02-03-2018 07:34 PM

Despite the constant adverts being over-hyped by Sky, Save Me with Lennie James and Suranne Jones was a really good watch, albeit a little uncomfortable in places. Thanks to a lazy snow day, managed to watch all six episodes in one hit yesterday afternoon.

baughurst eagle 02-03-2018 07:36 PM

The young offenders and two doors down worth a watch

Terrace Bickle 03-03-2018 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cappuccinoeagle (Post 14140397)
Its not great but Eva does get naked

Eva consistently needs to release herself from the confines of her clothing, I think only Jennifer Lawrence hides them less.

Jerry Murphy's Fringe 03-03-2018 03:10 PM

Marcella is proper weird this time. Real behind the sofa stuff.

Enjoying Shetland, as I did the last series.

Terrace Bickle 05-03-2018 12:39 PM

Shetland is good, I think I enjoy it purely because of the setting.

art malice 05-03-2018 01:00 PM

Thought it was pony.


Sorry, not seen it but couldn’t resist.

Purepalace 05-03-2018 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art malice (Post 14145043)
Thought it was pony.


Sorry, not seen it but couldn’t resist.

:supergrin:

Del Fenner 05-03-2018 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baughurst eagle (Post 14140528)
The young offenders and two doors down worth a watch

The Young Offenders is one of the best things on TV at present.

Isle of Wight 05-03-2018 02:55 PM

Loved the last one with the Tuna and can't wait for the next one after the scream at the end ����������

FORZA SELHURST 05-03-2018 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art malice (Post 14145043)
Thought it was pony.


Sorry, not seen it but couldn’t resist.

Is it a mini-series?

stinky 05-03-2018 03:09 PM

Completely underwhelmed with TV dramas at the moment. McMafia was hard work. Him and his girlfriend were complete drips. Don't get me started on Hard Sun. Like it was written by a child. Agnes Deyn is not an actress. The same could be said for Aisling Bea, who's attempt at a London accent was awful. Trying to get into Collateral, but struggling with that too. Everything just seems poorly written and poorly acted. Trauma on ITV wasn't much better.

Nostrils 05-03-2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinky (Post 14145314)
Completely underwhelmed with TV dramas at the moment. McMafia was hard work. Him and his girlfriend were complete drips. Don't get me started on Hard Sun. Like it was written by a child. Agnes Deyn is not an actress. The same could be said for Aisling Bea, who's attempt at a London accent was awful. Trying to get into Collateral, but struggling with that too. Everything just seems poorly written and poorly acted. Trauma on ITV wasn't much better.

We gave up on all of those too. Requiem was a load of old bollocks as well, nobody ever heard of a paternity test? Well acted I suppose, but could easily have been 3/4 parts.

little al 05-03-2018 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinky (Post 14145314)
Completely underwhelmed with TV dramas at the moment. McMafia was hard work. Him and his girlfriend were complete drips. Don't get me started on Hard Sun. Like it was written by a child. Agnes Deyn is not an actress. The same could be said for Aisling Bea, who's attempt at a London accent was awful. Trying to get into Collateral, but struggling with that too. Everything just seems poorly written and poorly acted. Trauma on ITV wasn't much better.

Strike on iplayer was pretty good.

pallet 05-03-2018 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinky (Post 14145314)
Completely underwhelmed with TV dramas at the moment. McMafia was hard work. Him and his girlfriend were complete drips. Don't get me started on Hard Sun. Like it was written by a child. Agnes Deyn is not an actress. The same could be said for Aisling Bea, who's attempt at a London accent was awful. Trying to get into Collateral, but struggling with that too. Everything just seems poorly written and poorly acted. Trauma on ITV wasn't much better.

Have not yet started on McMafia but really enjoying Collateral. How Hard Sun ever got made is still a mystery to me.

CarlosTheFinger 05-03-2018 03:44 PM

For any fellow Trekkies out there, I'm re-watching the entire series in chronological order by following the Star Trek Chronology Project.

I re-watched all of Enterprise (very underrated in my opinion) and I've just finished Discovery on Netflix. I really enjoyed it. It's not Star Trek in the style I know and love (Next Generation, Deep Space 9 and Voyager) and has a fair few canon continuity issues to be resolved but as a piece of televisual entertainment, it was excellent and I enjoyed it much more than the original series.

Cheers Myceliumboys,

Carlos

penguin7 05-03-2018 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pallet (Post 14145354)
Have not yet started on McMafia but really enjoying Collateral. How Hard Sun ever got made is still a mystery to me.

I had high hopes for Collateral due to the quality cast and director, but it seems to be a gathering of todays trendy topics with a plot written to cobble them together.

Great locations and a wonderfully oppressive atmosphere, but it is hard to find a character to empathise with. The pregnant polevaulting detective ? The lesbian vicar ? The sexually abused assassin ? The delinquent mother ? The corrupt MP ?
Or the illegal immigrants facing deportation ?

Obviously I will miss the finale tonight because of the football, but maybe someone could let me know if it is worth wasting an hour catching up on iPlayer ?

pallet 07-03-2018 12:10 PM

Watched the final Collateral, it was rushed and left no loose ends, thats all I can say without spoiling it too much.

PeterH 07-03-2018 08:22 PM

As usual I am behind the times.

Enjoying Peaky Blinders.

Dave 07-03-2018 08:27 PM

Looming Tower

cappuccinoeagle 07-03-2018 10:11 PM

Penelope Keith's Hidden Villages - I must be getting old!

LLCOOLSTEVE 07-03-2018 10:12 PM

24 hours in Police Custody

LN1 07-03-2018 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlosTheFinger (Post 14145367)
For any fellow Trekkies out there, I'm re-watching the entire series in chronological order by following the Star Trek Chronology Project.

I re-watched all of Enterprise (very underrated in my opinion) and I've just finished Discovery on Netflix. I really enjoyed it. It's not Star Trek in the style I know and love (Next Generation, Deep Space 9 and Voyager) and has a fair few canon continuity issues to be resolved but as a piece of televisual entertainment, it was excellent and I enjoyed it much more than the original series.

Cheers Myceliumboys,

Carlos

Probably going to fill any Trekkie full of dread but have been watching some of Seth MacFarlane's 'The Orville' and expected it to be Family Guy gross out humour but isn't. Definitely very un-PC but very reminiscent in looks and storylines to TNG but with more humour and sarcasm. Undecided yet until I watch a few more.

Feather 08-03-2018 09:20 AM

Life in Pieces on Amazon Prime

EagleSE24 08-03-2018 09:48 AM

Have just finished 'Godless'. A seven episode mini-series set in frontier America (the Wild West).

All wrapped up satisfyingly after 7 the seven episodes. I enjoyed it.

Snikt5 08-03-2018 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 14122050)
Just finshed End of the F***ing World, brilliant stuff.

Totally agree. Great show.

Requiem was good too. Wasn't entirely sure what was happening in parts but I agree well acted except for the lead character's annoying fringe

Maidstoned Eagle 08-03-2018 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleSE24 (Post 14151604)
Have just finished 'Godless'. A seven episode mini-series set in frontier America (the Wild West).

All wrapped up satisfyingly after 7 the seven episodes. I enjoyed it.

That was excellent.

Thanet Eagle 08-03-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather (Post 14151559)
Life in Pieces on Amazon Prime

Plenty of short, sharp laughs . Good show.

igl 08-03-2018 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostrils (Post 14145321)
We gave up on all of those too. Requiem was a load of old bollocks as well, nobody ever heard of a paternity test? Well acted I suppose, but could easily have been 3/4 parts.

Quite agree regarding Requiem - the ending was atrocious! Spoiled what I thought had been okay up until then. Paternity test would have saved a lot of bother though!!

Terrace Bickle 08-03-2018 01:21 PM

I agree the ending to Requiem was so rushed and stupid, it'd been reasonable up until then.

danpalace07 09-03-2018 12:57 AM

Line of Duty is a bit good isn't it

Vince Hilaire's Afro 09-03-2018 01:18 AM

2nd season of Jessica Jones has just 'dropped' on Netflix.

I recently revisited Series One of 'Happy Valley' after not liking it first time round due to its slightly clumsy feminist slant. For some reason, this time around, I was able to overcome my sensitivities as an oppressed minority and enjoyed it so much, I blasted through season two as well.

Very Northern.

Maidstoned Eagle 09-03-2018 07:44 AM

Black Mirror is a bit good init.

Banger 09-03-2018 07:48 AM

This Country and Young Offenders are my favourite shows on TV at present

Stellavista 09-03-2018 08:28 AM

Just watched the first episode of 'The Young Pope'. Not a huge Jude Law fan, but most entertaining. Like Father Ted, I guess it helps if you went through the Catholic school experience.

art malice 09-03-2018 08:43 AM

Loving Save Me on Sky Atlantic but fully expect to be let down by a crap ending

ANTEAGLE 09-03-2018 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art malice (Post 14153117)
Loving Save Me on Sky Atlantic but fully expect to be let down by a crap ending

How far are you into the show? You can download them all. We watched it over two nights. Really enjoyed it.

art malice 09-03-2018 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ANTEAGLE (Post 14153141)
How far are you into the show? You can download them all. We watched it over two nights. Really enjoyed it.

Five in. One to go. Was too late last night to watch it and now might have to wait until after the weekend.

Didn’t realise until last night that Lennie James wrote it.

ANTEAGLE 09-03-2018 09:10 AM

It is really good but obviously the subject matter is very disturbing.

si1965 09-03-2018 11:01 AM

I would like to add another glowing recommendation to 'Seven Seconds' on Netflix - difficult not to binge watch.

Just finished another called 'Dark' which being subtitled from German may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I thoroughly enjoyed it - be interesting to see what others thought.

Nostrils 09-03-2018 09:49 PM

New Hap and Leonard on Amazon. Hidden Gem, well, sort of hidden.

cappuccinoeagle 09-03-2018 10:31 PM

Into Season 5 of Seinfeld :)

monkey 10-03-2018 02:23 AM

Probably been mentioned before, but ‘Save Me’ was excellent :p

cappuccinoeagle 10-03-2018 05:26 PM

Civilisations

scro 10-03-2018 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by si1965 (Post 14153290)
I would like to add another glowing recommendation to 'Seven Seconds' on Netflix - difficult not to binge watch.

Just finished another called 'Dark' which being subtitled from German may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I thoroughly enjoyed it - be interesting to see what others thought.

Just watched the first episode. I thought it was slow and the fundamental premise just seemed a bit unfeasible. Not only that it appears set up to be overly politically right on. Not sure i’ll bother with anymore of it.

Dave 10-03-2018 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cappuccinoeagle (Post 14155753)
Civilisations

anger.gif

cappuccinoeagle 10-03-2018 10:14 PM

The Assassination Of Gianni Versace - the first part of nine

cappuccinoeagle 10-03-2018 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 14157270)
anger.gif

?

Dave 10-03-2018 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cappuccinoeagle (Post 14157285)
?

God, where to start.

To summarize, the Kenneth Clark original series is where it's at, allowing Schama this level of editorial and free will is just awful and personally, Mary Beard is unwatchable.

I can't stand it.

Dal 10-03-2018 10:48 PM

Seinfeld season 5 is a great season, possibly the best but 4 was very good too.

Dave 10-03-2018 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dal (Post 14157336)
Seinfeld season 5 is a great season, possibly the best but 4 was very good too.

This is like saying beer is good

cappuccinoeagle 11-03-2018 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 14157293)
God, where to start.

To summarize, the Kenneth Clark original series is where it's at, allowing Schama this level of editorial and free will is just awful and personally, Mary Beard is unwatchable.

I can't stand it.

Supposedly, Clark's version very imperialistic - centering mostly on Western civilisation, this one shows art from South America, Africa and Asia too.

cappuccinoeagle 11-03-2018 05:05 PM

On the I Player, 78/52 a documentary about the Psycho shower scene

Purepalace 11-03-2018 08:59 PM

BBC2 tonight in a minute at 9.

Life and Death Row.

Don't be put off as it's the 4th of a 4 part series a each one is unique.

Incredibly thought provoking.

cappuccinoeagle 11-03-2018 09:12 PM

On UKPlay an episode of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries starring the rather wonderful Essie Davis

Dobbo 11-03-2018 09:16 PM

Have just watched first on new series of Lee Mack's Not Going Out. Corny, but very funny. Shame his wife has had her hair cropped though.

Thanet Eagle 12-03-2018 12:40 PM

The murder of Versace on BBC Iplayer. Good stuff.

Ant.Palace 12-03-2018 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by si1965 (Post 14153290)

Just finished another called 'Dark' which being subtitled from German may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I thoroughly enjoyed it - be interesting to see what others thought.


I'm onto episode 9 of this. Really enjoying it.

It's dubbed, not subtitled, but you actually forget about that as it's done pretty well

chelmsfordeagle 13-03-2018 12:59 PM

I was in England over the weekend and watched an episode of Murder, Mystery and my family. There are 10 episodes each involving a family member of someone executed in Britain in the 20th century trying to get the decision to execute them reviewed. Remarkable good for a programme that went out at 9am on a weekday.

dogstar721 13-03-2018 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ant.Palace (Post 14159716)
I'm onto episode 9 of this. Really enjoying it.

It's dubbed, not subtitled, but you actually forget about that as it's done pretty well

5 episodes in now - Although I switched from Dub to Subtitles, as they were annoying me (Netflix). It strikes me as a much more mature and serious 'Stranger Things'.

Hector 13-03-2018 01:33 PM

Not so much a recommendation more a comment.

Marcella - great story but the main character does my head in, she is far to crazy to make her likeable in anyway.

si1965 13-03-2018 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogstar721 (Post 14161550)
5 episodes in now - Although I switched from Dub to Subtitles, as they were annoying me (Netflix). It strikes me as a much more mature and serious 'Stranger Things'.

I hear that Netflix have commissioned a second series :p

stinky 13-03-2018 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hector (Post 14161570)
Not so much a recommendation more a comment.

Marcella - great story but the main character does my head in, she is far to crazy to make her likeable in anyway.

Yeah but she's buff ting so I don't care

little al 13-03-2018 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chelmsfordeagle (Post 14161523)
I was in England over the weekend and watched an episode of Murder, Mystery and my family. There are 10 episodes each involving a family member of someone executed in Britain in the 20th century trying to get the decision to execute them reviewed. Remarkable good for a programme that went out at 9am on a weekday.

Cheers for that, I will Iplayer it.

mexicaneagle 13-03-2018 06:25 PM

Skin Wars Fresh Paint
Nailed It!

Classics, the pair of them.

Ant.Palace 14-03-2018 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by si1965 (Post 14161760)
I hear that Netflix have commissioned a second series :p

Now i've seen it all it looks like it was always planned. Can't wait.

Coastal Palace 14-03-2018 09:43 PM

Young Sheldon.

Let me start off by saying I hate The Big Bang Theory and all its characters. In particular Sheldon Cooper but this is totally different. It's genuinely funny for starters.

It reminds me of The Wonder Years but it's far funnier and warmer.
They are some great characters in this, the best being meemaw. Sheldon's ma and pa are both great too. And his twin sis and older brother.

You really should watch this whether you hate TBBT or not.
I hate it but I love this.
And Sheldon jnr is far less punchable than his snr.

Coastal Palace 14-03-2018 09:43 PM

double post.

Purepalace 14-03-2018 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal Palace (Post 14163997)
Young Sheldon.

Let me start off by saying I hate The Big Bang Theory and all its characters. In particular Sheldon Cooper but this is totally different. It's genuinely funny for starters.

It reminds me of The Wonder Years but it's far funnier and warmer.
They are some great characters in this, the best being meemaw. Sheldon's ma and pa are both great too. And his twin sis and older brother.

You really should watch this whether you hate TBBT or not.
I hate it but I love this.
And Sheldon jnr is far less punchable than his snr.

I have never watched a whole episode of the Big Bang Theory, (watched a bit and didn't get it, a bit like Friends), but do find Young Sheldon innocently amusing mainly, as you say, in a Wonder Years/Malcolm in the Middle watch it when hungover kind of way.

Coastal Palace 14-03-2018 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purepalace (Post 14164003)
I have never watched a whole episode of the Big Bang Theory, (watched a bit and didn't get it, a bit like Friends), but do find Young Sheldon innocently amusing mainly, as you say, in a Wonder Years/Malcolm in the Middle watch it when hungover kind of way.

I watched it against my wishes so was determined not to like it.

It's got some genuinely funny moments for me.

Purepalace 14-03-2018 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal Palace (Post 14164005)
I watched it against my wishes so was determined not to like it.

It's got some genuinely funny moments for me.

I agree it's ok.

This Country - mental



No Activity - pure class


pallet 17-03-2018 01:06 PM

Finished seven seconds last night. Brillant.

PeterH 17-03-2018 04:07 PM

Well behind the times again. Enjoying Black Window - some interesting dark situations.

cappuccinoeagle 18-03-2018 01:48 AM

Mum - a sublime mix of comedy and drama

Vince Hilaire's Afro 18-03-2018 01:54 AM

Watching some obscure (to me) British stuff stuff on Amazon - Secret Smile, with a brilliantly creepy David Tennant and 'The Take' with Tom Hardy warming up for his role as the Krays.

Had never heard of either show

cappuccinoeagle 19-03-2018 07:09 PM

The Repair Shop

Vince Hilaire's Afro 19-03-2018 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cappuccinoeagle (Post 14172784)
The Repair Shop

Tried watching that, but each time I turn up to see it they keep telling me to come back tomorrow

Soarin' Eagles 19-03-2018 07:18 PM

Dark on Netflix.

Maidstoned Eagle 19-03-2018 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro (Post 14170147)
Watching some obscure (to me) British stuff stuff on Amazon - Secret Smile, with a brilliantly creepy David Tennant and 'The Take' with Tom Hardy warming up for his role as the Krays.

Had never heard of either show

Secret Smile was brilliant, I´ll check that out on Amazon, thanks. :p

PALACEWU 19-03-2018 08:37 PM

LA92

dogstar721 19-03-2018 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by si1965 (Post 14161760)
I hear that Netflix have commissioned a second series :p

By episode 10 I was very grateful of the family trees on Wikipedia.

Maidstoned Eagle 19-03-2018 10:26 PM

Anybody watched Mr Mercedes?

little al 20-03-2018 07:08 PM

I enjoyed this documentary about the Freemasons that was on the BBC last night.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...-of-the-masons

PALACEWU 21-03-2018 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soarin' Eagles (Post 14172799)
Dark on Netflix.

Liking this.

weltklasse 21-03-2018 03:32 PM

Spartacus Gods: of the arena
Hillarious dialogue and plenty of boobs

Am Phibian 21-03-2018 04:12 PM

not a tv prog it's radio but very, very good and funny. 4 shows. 1/2 hour each.

BBC Radio 4 - Andy Hamilton Sort of Remembers. Bit of nostalgia

On youtube now

Thanet Eagle 21-03-2018 04:54 PM

Just finished Fargo season 2 . Highly recommend it .

Vince Hilaire's Afro 21-03-2018 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weltklasse (Post 14174906)
Spartacus Gods: of the arena
Hillarious dialogue and plenty of boobs

This versatile meme received a number of outings on the Brighton threads each time fate conspired to break their hearts

https://i.imgflip.com/26v1rr.jpg

JackTheBiscuit 22-03-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cappuccinoeagle (Post 14170141)
Mum - a sublime mix of comedy and drama

Recommended this during the first series. Similar theme every week but so brilliantly acted. Peter Mullen and Lesley Manville are fantastic.

Also love Two Doors Down.

cappuccinoeagle 27-03-2018 08:21 PM

On Uk Play - Mercy Street - about nurses during the American Civil War

FORZA SELHURST 28-03-2018 12:50 PM

Second season of 'Sneaky Pete' appeared on Amazon recently. They've gone in a bonkers direction and must've been properly on the mushrooms with some of the stuff they came up with. V good.

weltklasse 28-03-2018 12:53 PM

Catching up with Ash vs Evil Dead


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.