CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The return of Doctor Who (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=103057)

Jay_Palace 15-03-2005 03:58 PM

The return of Doctor Who

As everyone should be aware, the tv moment of the year is almost upon us and everybody's favourite Time Lord returns to our screens on the 26th of March. :lux: :lux: :lux:

How many BBS'ers are as excited as I am about this?

I'm a big fan of the old series and am very excited about the prospect of bringing it into the 21st century. Chris Ecclestone is, I believe an inspired choice to play the Doctor and from what I know about the new series, it will be must see television.

PalaceMonkey 15-03-2005 04:03 PM

i am looking forward to it.

One of my mates downloaded the 1st episode off the interweb and says that it's good :p

RickyB 15-03-2005 04:04 PM

Yeah, i tailed off a bit towards the end but looking forward to the new series.

christopher 15-03-2005 04:04 PM

Can't wait :)

palace_crystal 15-03-2005 04:04 PM

hhhmm not gonna have any preconceptions, dont want to build it up to much only to be dissapointed, after all this is the BBC!

christopher 15-03-2005 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by palace_crystal
hhhmm not gonna have any preconceptions, dont want to build it up to much only to be dissapointed, after all this is the BBC!
Exactly what I thought initially. Having now seen the people involved, writing and acting wise, I feel better.

And the Beeb seem to be treating it right so far...

Jay_Palace 15-03-2005 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by christopher
Exactly what I thought initially. Having now seen the people involved, writing and acting wise, I feel better.

And the Beeb seem to be treating it right so far...

Absolutely, the writing team behind the new series is top, top class, the actors signed up are extremely well respected and the special effects have been made by an Oscar winning production team.

I have no doubts that it will be a fantastic success.

Neil 15-03-2005 04:14 PM

Read a few message boards where this episode is posted to download and if you're looking forward to it, don't get your hopes up too much.

I'm going to wait until it's broadcast to give my own opinion - I'm hoping these folk are majorly wide of the mark.

Simon A 15-03-2005 04:16 PM

Boyandy 15-03-2005 04:21 PM

I've seen the first episode.

It's very different to the old series - so don't go into it expecting anything like that. More humour and a lot faster paced as well - although this could be down to the fact it was the first episode.

It'll be a love it or hate it thing, but then again the same could be said about the first one I guess. No doubt some fanatics will no doubt be burning their cardboard Tardis's (Tardii?) in outrage but I reckon the kids will like it.

The two leads are very good.

Jay_Palace 15-03-2005 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Neil
Read a few message boards where this episode is posted to download and if you're looking forward to it, don't get your hopes up too much.

I'm going to wait until it's broadcast to give my own opinion - I'm hoping these folk are majorly wide of the mark.

I read one review of the first episode that was so unbelievably scathing I doubt the writer had any intention of enjoying the episode, and went in with a stern desire to hate it.

Another I read from the Guardian was pretty positive by Guardian standards.

The general feedback I have heard from people have seen it is unbelievably positive, so I'm sure I will enjoy it myself.

Jay_Palace 15-03-2005 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Boyandy
I've seen the first episode.

It's very different to the old series - so don't go into it expecting anything like that. More humour and a lot faster paced as well - although this could be down to the fact it was the first episode.

It'll be a love it or hate it thing, but then again the same could be said about the first one I guess. No doubt some fanatics will no doubt be burning their cardboard Tardis's (Tardii?) in outrage but I reckon the kids will like it.

The two leads are very good.

I think the fast pace is to be expected; they are condensing one whole story into one 45 minute episode, which is a big diversion from traditional Who. However this is a consequence of modern day television and I think it's fair to say that the old format would not have washed with a modern day audience.

I have no problem with it being radically different, towards the end of its run in the late 80's the show stank badly and was crying out for a revamp. A new Who for the 21st Century is good news all round, as far as I'm concerned.

Simon A 15-03-2005 04:26 PM

I don't care what any of you say, nothing will ever match the Daleks.

E-X-T-E-R-M-I-N-A-T-E :lux:

Jay_Palace 15-03-2005 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Simon A

Agreed :lux:

palace_crystal 15-03-2005 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jay_Palace
Absolutely, the writing team behind the new series is top, top class, the actors signed up are extremely well respected and the special effects have been made by an Oscar winning production team.

I have no doubts that it will be a fantastic success.

Just because you have the right tools, it doesn't mean you can do the job properly!

Jay_Palace 15-03-2005 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by palace_crystal
Just because you have the right tools, it doesn't mean you can do the job properly!
Indeed not, but I'm confident that the people behind the new series will do the job properly.

Anyway, we shall all see soon enough.

gold76 15-03-2005 05:21 PM

hmm I take it there's no regeneration seen at the begining? Always a highlight when I was a lad.

stevek 15-03-2005 05:51 PM

Personally, I think this may be a mistake. Some things are better left as excellent memories, rather than these constant attempts to recreate past successes.

Hedgehog 19-03-2005 02:12 AM

Is it just me, or does Billy Piper look pretty seductive on the BBC web site stuff?

celery stick 20-03-2005 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Simon A

They had kitchen utensils for weapons.
They couldn't walk upstairs . .

http://www.palmer-rose.co.uk/hwh3/darlek.gif

They even struggled with any sense of horizontal direction . . .

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/Dr...g_Paper_Sm.jpg

Supreme Beings of the Universe eh?

Supreme Wheelie Bins more like.