CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

Martin H 09-11-2020 10:25 AM

In a second viewing of the match on Sunday morning I made a specific effort to look out for Jairo who I had thought on first watch had been good but perhaps a little quieter than I had expected. Some of this I knew had been tactical as we avoided taking it off the cbs into the middle due to Leeds tactic of exploiting that high press in numbers (we did this very well btw). Even so it was something I wanted to take a look at because he had struggled to get on the ball as much alongside Luka too but that I had thought had a lot to do with Luka

I donít think there was anything stunning I discovered other than just that. He was a little quieter on the ball but still played well with and without the ball. I think he may have to work a little on finding space to receive the ball in a pressured midfield but Saturday wasnít the right time for that, :) What did cross my mind was how good an example it was of how different Jairo is now in terms of his intensity (exactly what Roy/Ray was asking of him) in that role. He is getting up and down the pitch too and popping up in the box which is good to see. He has added this to his game without losing anything and just looks a very different player now. Respect all round to Jairo Roy/Ray and the other coaches for getting him there, He is still very young for PL in that position and I am looking forward to watching him grow and hopefully take him with us. Thanks FDB. :)

Danny boy 09-11-2020 10:39 AM

Hope we get him signed to a long term contract.

Happy Arthur 09-11-2020 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny boy (Post 15496860)
Hope we get him signed to a long term contract.

Why would he sign one tho?

Soarin' Eagles 09-11-2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Arthur (Post 15496861)

Why would he not?

Danny boy 09-11-2020 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Arthur (Post 15496861)

I think he will be given regular game time now and a decent wage. I can see other teams being interested though if he continues his form.

Ticehurst 09-11-2020 10:51 AM

You know I like a comparison anyone got a player Jairo reminds them off past or present can't think of anyone myself. Great news if true about the new contract ormstein is normally a good reliable source..

Reps AJ 09-11-2020 10:59 AM

Never like to see you signings flounder, so really pleased for him that he seems to have found his place.

From centre back, to left back, to centre mid!

(Yes,yes, played left back at Ajax blah, blah, blah)

LuieJack 09-11-2020 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 15495856)
Plenty on here wanted us to get rid of Townsend this summer too but he has bounced back really well and sounds like he's doing a great job working with Eze too.

I agree, unfortunately far too many fans tend to judge far to easily and quickly, yes we all accept Luka has has/is going through a sticky patch which is no different to what most players go through at some stage. As we are not blessed with a strong squad, he is far too good to let go.
What some need to remember is, loss of form is temporary but quality is permanent.

Flappy Chicken 09-11-2020 11:08 AM

Now Jairo has redeemed himself, will Roy give Meyer a chance?

PalaceRichard 09-11-2020 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 15496848)
In a second viewing of the match on Sunday morning I made a specific effort to look out for Jairo who I had thought on first watch had been good but perhaps a little quieter than I had expected. Some of this I knew had been tactical as we avoided taking it off the cbs into the middle due to Leeds tactic of exploiting that high press in numbers (we did this very well btw). Even so it was something I wanted to take a look at because he had struggled to get on the ball as much alongside Luka too but that I had thought had a lot to do with Luka

I donít think there was anything stunning I discovered other than just that. He was a little quieter on the ball but still played well with and without the ball. I think he may have to work a little on finding space to receive the ball in a pressured midfield but Saturday wasnít the right time for that, :) What did cross my mind was how good an example it was of how different Jairo is now in terms of his intensity (exactly what Roy/Ray was asking of him) in that role. He is getting up and down the pitch too and popping up in the box which is good to see. He has added this to his game without losing anything and just looks a very different player now. Respect all round to Jairo Roy/Ray and the other coaches for getting him there, He is still very young for PL in that position and I am looking forward to watching him grow and hopefully take him with us. Thanks FDB. :)

Someone I work with who is an Ajax fan has told me that Riedewald could be seen as "a jack of all trades" and also could come across as having a lazy playing style when he initially joined. I doubt whether either of those appealed to Roy, and the demands of the Premier League are different to the Dutch Eredivisie, there generally has to be energy and physicality in central midfield. It takes some players more time to adapt.

I'm sure a lot of work has been going on behind the scenes and it will be a credit to all concerned if we now have a very useful player in that position, certainly someone with additional attributes to our other CMs.

This guy also said that Frank de Boer had lost the plot a bit in his last couple of seasons at Ajax......

glaziers fan 09-11-2020 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 15496432)
Yeah, I meant to say Jairo and McArthur. Brain fail from me.

That's ok, it happens to all of us! However my point still stands: it was Jairo and McArthur with Milivojevic nowhere to be seen. Was LM injured? Was he spending time with family? Did he have coronavirus? He wasn't fit enough to be considered and in contention during pre-season. (I think McCarthy also picked up an injury during pre-season but that's irrelevant because it is clear he is currently behind McArthur in the pecking order - don't want to confuse the issue!)

Point is it was Jairo and McArthur at the start with Milivojevic to come back in. Against Wolves it was JR and LM. I think LM will be ahead of McArthur when he's back from suspension, and will go straight into the XI. We will see. :)

glaziers fan 09-11-2020 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrenalin john (Post 15496465)
Hodgson has come in for a lot of criticism for not playing Jairo previously. Could it be the case that he actually deserves praise for getting Jairo to add the necessary workrate, defensive nous, and focus to his obvious ability to become an effective premier league midfielder? So much so that he is now looking like a highly accomplished player.

He did well as an emergency left back, but previously in midfield he would switch off too often and tended to pass but not move. Now he is on it 97% of the time, if he can raise that to 100% he will be first choice for us for the next 8 years.

Someone mentioned him in the same vein as Speroni, who as Spilloni had a similarly shaky start to his Palace career but buckled down to become a club legend. Not saying it will happen but it is an interesting comparison nonetheless

All of this ^^^

glaziers fan 09-11-2020 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam_Palace (Post 15496759)
Set to sign a new long term deal according to David Ornstien at the Athletic in his weekly column. Great news.

superb news.

glaziers fan 09-11-2020 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ticehurst (Post 15496868)
You know I like a comparison anyone got a player Jairo reminds them off past or present can't think of anyone myself. Great news if true about the new contract ormstein is normally a good reliable source..

A left-footed Ben Watson? Jairo's touch and technique plus football brain is certainly comparable. I remember Ben Watson playing right back, and also lacking intensity at times earlier in his career.

Jordan's Jacket 09-11-2020 11:39 AM

Jerry Murphy. A wand of a left foot

Ticehurst 09-11-2020 12:03 PM

Cheers guy..both very good players for the palace something about left footed players...funny yesterday on five live one of there commentators said marc Albrighton was the most left footed right footer he'd ever seen..knew what he meant but still sounded funny...back to jairo still think James mcarthy would dovetail perfectly next to him..

Green Bin 09-11-2020 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan's Jacket (Post 15496920)
Jerry Murphy. A wand of a left foot

I still think of him as the best passer we've ever had...I remember one game where he kept pointing to his teammates where they should run and he just put in on a plate to them, be it on the ground or in the air, sometimes just chipped over an opponent. he had a rather languid style though, so a completely anti-Roy type of player!

Ticehurst 09-11-2020 01:25 PM

Dave madden was another who could pick a pass superb player bit of a nutter as well..

stinky 09-11-2020 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flappy Chicken (Post 15496886)
Now Jairo has redeemed himself, will Roy give Meyer a chance?

He has, and he hasn't stepped up.

Eze and Jairo have shown more promise and talent than Meyer.

BARNSTONEWORTH 09-11-2020 03:07 PM

Jerry Murphy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Bin (Post 15496941)
I still think of him as the best passer we've ever had...I remember one game where he kept pointing to his teammates where they should run and he just put in on a plate to them, be it on the ground or in the air, sometimes just chipped over an opponent. he had a rather languid style though, so a completely anti-Roy type of player!

I just always remember him playing with his socks rolled down and no pads - must have had shins of iron!