CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Other Football At Selhurst Park (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42144)

Granada allover 06-10-2003 01:06 PM

Other Football At Selhurst Park

I remember bunking off early from Selhurst Grammar in 1967 to see a friend of mine play for Beulah primary in the local inter-school cup final one Wednesday afternoon. The old stand was packed in one section with kids from both schools and half the stand went crazy when Beulah scored (to win 1-0).

I was SO envious of my friend Keith Stannard playing on the sacred turf that day (I couldn't even get into the Winterbourne First XI).

It's made me wonder whether there were other school games back then - and whether any still happen today...

Anyone know?

18mcpalace 06-10-2003 02:00 PM

Yes in the past (I am talking 1970's) there would be quite a few school matches/ school finals played at Selhurst Park. But now that would be VERY rare.

I know that the Surrey Cup finals are normally played at grounds like Chipstead now!

However the top competition for school teams in the ESFA National Cup where last season the regional finals were held at Stamford Bridge and the national final at Anfield.

Of course Wilson's Grammar School Under 13's fell 1 game short of playing at Stamford Bridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arussell 06-10-2003 02:21 PM

Selhurst Park's been used for numerous other things in the past.

Going back to the early 1920's, amateur cup finals and Surrey cup matches have been played there, and the British Army have also played a number of games at SP. Kingstonian's played a Surrey cup final match at SP in 1920/21 which led to then manager Edmund Goodman being impressed with their winger Albert Harry, who he then signed for Palace.

Cricket too has been played there, and I think I'm right in saying in the 1930's there was once a baseball match staged too.

Granada allover 06-10-2003 02:27 PM

Replies appreciated.

Has anyone on the BBS played a competitive match at Selhurst (primary school included)?

RtS 06-10-2003 08:37 PM

My schoolfriend, one Richard Rumbold, played for Surrey Schools U15s v Essex under floodlights in 1970. It meant nothing to the b@stard who only went on about watching Z Cars in the dressing room before the game. In case anyone is interested Essex won 1-0, a second half goal at the Holmesdale end. Doris Hinshlewood was in the same team.

Maidstoned Eagle 06-10-2003 09:00 PM

Wasn't there an England U21 or B international played there as well? And didn't Peter Taylor play?

biggus mickus 06-10-2003 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Maidstoned Eagle
Wasn't there an England U21 or B international played there as well? And didn't Peter Taylor play?

Twice, and scored twice. In front of good crowds.

Ruskin Old Boy 06-10-2003 09:08 PM

First visit to SP was in April 1959 when a coachload of us from Fairchild's Junior School watched the Croydon primary school's cup final. Only the main stand was occupied, apart from that, all I remember was the almost non-stop banging of the wooden seats.

Nearly played once when our youth team - forgotten the name - but we played at Parkfields in Shirley - was drawn away to play Palace juniors - Surrey Youth Cup? Didn't make it into the side - we lost 0-9 - and returned to the anonymity of Parkfields.

And then there was Wimbledon - Leeds in the cup - one record that won't be beaten, the crowd of over 44,000. And even earlier a 3rd place play-off for the FA Cup, the Friday night before FA Cup Final. Long since forgotten who played in that.

tomario 07-10-2003 12:16 AM

I once had a kick around on the sacred turf, after doing a coaching session for disabled kids for football in the community when Jeff Hawkins ran it.

RtS 07-10-2003 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
And even earlier a 3rd place play-off for the FA Cup, the Friday night before FA Cup Final. Long since forgotten who played in that.
Stoke v Everton (beaten by Arsenal and Liverpool respectively) in 1971.
Your memory is going mate!

firesign 07-10-2003 09:47 AM

I saw Croydon play Millwall in the FA Cup at SP once (late 70s?). Drew a crowd of about 10,000 I think - Millwall won 3-0.

I guess with the Wombles playing there it would have been too much to have other games there too. Now they've gone it would be good to have some other matches there. I'm sure they did used to play the occasional schoolboy match there - Croydon Schools Cup Final, stuff like that.

Granada allover 07-10-2003 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
Nearly played once when our youth team - forgotten the name - but we played at Parkfields in Shirley - was drawn away to play Palace juniors - Surrey Youth Cup? Didn't make it into the side - we lost 0-9 - and returned to the anonymity of Parkfields.
ROB, one of those defining moments. What might have been! Destined to become a watcher and dreamer like the most of us...

I'm still curious as to whether there is anyone on the boards who has played competitively at Selhurst (Croydon Schools Cup and the like) - and even scored there.

I can still visualise Beulah Primary's goal in '67 - a collection of appalling, defensive errors and the ball trickled pathetically over the line (sound familiar?)

And the old stand rocked...

Ruskin Old Boy 07-10-2003 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by RtS

Your memory is going mate!

That's why I never know if it's your round :D

Ruskin Old Boy 07-10-2003 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Granada allover
ROB, one of those defining moments. What might have been! Destined to become a watcher and dreamer like the most of us...

About 99.99% of us I would guess ... :eek:

Who Cares? 07-10-2003 09:59 AM

Following on from arussell's post I believe Bicycle polo was also played there in the late 50s/early 60s - Norwood Paragon I think.

monkey 07-10-2003 12:01 PM

I went to a play off final between Gillingham and Swindon In the late 80's which was played at selhurst.
I think It was when It was when the play-off final's were still 2 legs home and away and they were level after the 2 legs and had to have a replay on a neutral ground.
Boy did It kick off as well afterwards,these two clubs had a rivalry simmering at the time and I was shocked how bad It was outside the ground from two clubs not re-nowned for crowd trouble!!
Swindon won 2-0 If I remember right!!!

ReadingPalace 07-10-2003 12:12 PM

My wierdest non-Palace memory of SP was a four team, 7-a-side, 10-over cricket competition there under lights in the very early 80s. I think the teams involved were Kent, Surrey, Sussex and probably Middlesex.

I don't remember too much about it, except for Chris Tavare knocking five 6s and a four off the same over. Kent still lost, though.

Oliver V 07-10-2003 12:12 PM

Hi everybody,i'm at school doing absoltly nothing:so i decided to sneak into the computer lab and go on internet :)

monkey 07-10-2003 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Oliver Varcoe
Hi everybody,i'm at school doing absoltly nothing:so i decided to sneak into the computer lab and go on internet :)
you little tinker:rolleyes:

DaveTuttles 07-10-2003 12:17 PM

I played there twice for Cumnor House in the Croydon Cup Final, absolutely top class!! We used the baths/showers, changing rooms everything. Steve Kember was my manager though. Steve Coppell presented us with or winners medals. Ive still got the croydon advertsier photo of our team in front of the holmesdale with the cup. Perfect!!