CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 24-10-2020 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bangell (Post 15472488)
Classy again. Shouldn't be dropped again.

He won't be unless the loses form. Roy rewards players if they play and do well.

dim 24-10-2020 06:08 PM

An entertaining player. Just looks like a right laugh, loving it.

Just what is needed. First player since Yannick who plays like he loves it.

CpfcLoz 24-10-2020 06:11 PM

class again today! hope we can offer him a new contract!

Malaga Eagle 24-10-2020 06:13 PM

Always looks comfortable on the ball but the other midfielders need to move a lot quicker for his passes. Great player in the making,well done Jairo.

GB2506 24-10-2020 06:24 PM

Really hope he was take off as a precautionary measure at the end. First name on the team-sheet at the moment.

dilem 24-10-2020 06:26 PM

Jairo, PAV, Andros all need contracts renewing.... much weaker side without them if they leave in the summer

GB2506 24-10-2020 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilem (Post 15472542)
Jairo, PAV, Andros all need contracts renewing.... much weaker side without them if they leave in the summer

Jairoís contract is until 2022

cockles 24-10-2020 06:40 PM

Looked great, but let's not get expectations too high shall we. This was only vs Fulham, who will be bottom.

Ticehurst 24-10-2020 10:07 PM

I'm in the flower game so I know alot of Ajax boys by I asked them about jairo three years ago they said he's solid and wil do a job IMO .think he's showing more then that now .he looks to me like he's got a camberwell carrott on.��

FMH57 24-10-2020 10:21 PM

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...HPYUA&usqp=CAU

Stavros 69 24-10-2020 10:22 PM

Sign him up to a new contract.
With him and the other youngsters the future is bright.

Penstone Eagle 24-10-2020 10:42 PM

A breath of fresh air. Great goal

PemboExpress 24-10-2020 10:46 PM

Very good once again today. Hope he is fit for Friday..

MFBias 24-10-2020 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 15472835)
Sign him up to a new contract.
With him and the other youngsters the future is bright.

The future is Orange?

chateauferret 24-10-2020 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MFBias (Post 15472878)
The future is Orange?

Until it goes pear-shaped.

eltron 25-10-2020 12:22 AM

Just seen his interview after the game. I think it's Terry Byfield interviewing him.
I had to re-run it, because of all the questions he asked him, he didn't even mention his goal. His first goal for Palace.

It's like dear old Terry B interviewing Buzz Aldrin and not asking him about the moon.

kyrieagle 25-10-2020 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penstone Eagle (Post 15472850)
A breath of fresh air. Great goal

Absolutely.

audreytatou 25-10-2020 02:55 AM

Delighted for Jairo. Looking forward to see how he progresses given game time. Its an exciting prospect as far as i'm concerned and he fully deserves this chance.

Hibernator 25-10-2020 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ticehurst (Post 15472819)
I'm in the flower game so I know alot of Ajax boys by I asked them about jairo three years ago they said he's solid and wil do a job IMO .think he's showing more then that now .he looks to me like he's got a camberwell carrott on.��

I do hope it doesn't slow him down.

Are YOU the Farmer??

:D:D

Son of Coveta 25-10-2020 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hibernator (Post 15472900)
I do hope it doesn't slow him down.

Are YOU the Farmer ?

Of course he's the ++++++g farmer :D

Thefunkymonk 25-10-2020 06:57 AM

When both Macca’s are fit.. does roy drop him? I’d hope not but I wouldn’t bet against it

Adlerhorst 25-10-2020 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk (Post 15472925)
When both Maccaís are fit.. does roy drop him? Iíd hope not but I wouldnít bet against it

Obviously

GB2506 25-10-2020 07:21 AM

Quote:

When both Maccaís are fit.. does roy drop him? Iíd hope not but I wouldnít bet against it

Absolutely not, shouldnít even think about it. He should work out which one is best to partner with him. Personally I would say McCarthy.

mylona 25-10-2020 07:26 AM

Quote:

I would, Roy doesn't make changes if they are not necessary.

Happy Arthur 25-10-2020 07:33 AM

Jimmy mac1 needs a break.

carter 25-10-2020 07:47 AM

Criminal that it’s taken this long for him to get game time. He is brilliant in centre mid. Has the best football brain on the team

Glazier69 25-10-2020 08:08 AM

So pleased for JR. His start at Palace reminds me of Speroniís start. On the bench and overlooked for ages, then grabbed the chance when it came, and flourished from there on in. Well done, son!

T.C. 25-10-2020 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carter (Post 15472955)
Criminal that itís taken this long for him to get game time. He is brilliant in centre mid. Has the best football brain on the team

Completely agree but Hodson doesn't seem to like any player who thinks for themselves.

brisbane_eagle 25-10-2020 09:18 AM

Someone needs to tell Jairo that barbers have re-opened!

brighton_eagle 25-10-2020 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brisbane_eagle (Post 15473049)

Behave. His hair is awesome. The boys an original.

Garfy 25-10-2020 09:30 AM

Quote:

Criminal that itís taken this long for him to get game time. He is brilliant in centre mid. Has the best football brain on the team

Delighted heís playing well but anyone who saw him in last yearís pre-season when he looked overweight and disinterested wouldnít question his lack of game time. Since Norwich away when I think he came in to the team heís clearly done something to turn his game around. It may just have been a matter of Building his confirdence.

Skintagain 25-10-2020 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brisbane_eagle (Post 15473049)

Yes its a mess especially when compared to some of the others, Wilf and Bats for example.

selhursteagle64 25-10-2020 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brighton_eagle (Post 15473067)

its just like watching Brazil!:)

Granada allover 25-10-2020 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brighton_eagle (Post 15473067)

Yep. Sideshow Jairo is all good by me.

Penstone Eagle 25-10-2020 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.C. (Post 15472973)
Completely agree but Hodson doesn't seem to like any player who thinks for themselves.

Not sure that's true, just stubborn and has his favourites.

Liam_Palace 25-10-2020 09:52 AM

Very happy for Jairo. The perfect example of keep working hard and your opportunity will come. Good player

Penstone Eagle 25-10-2020 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam_Palace (Post 15473106)
Very happy for Jairo. The perfect example of keep working hard and your opportunity will come. Good player

He's taken that opportunity well, will Roy reward him I wonder, or dash his hopes.

Thefunkymonk 25-10-2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam_Palace (Post 15473106)

Yep

cpfcfan1 25-10-2020 10:39 AM

Is he crocked now? Seems be the trend once a player starts performing they get nailed and get crocked

GB2506 25-10-2020 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylona (Post 15472941)
I would, Roy doesn't make changes if they are not necessary.

You would drop him for the 2 Jimmyís? Letís just take all the footballing ability out the side while weíre at it and get Benteke in for Wilf.

mpfn 25-10-2020 10:48 AM

He needs to play if fit.
He can pick a pass, and more importantly, is young.
I was impressed with him when he was filling in for PVA at left back.
Him and Eze in the same team is a exciting prospect.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 25-10-2020 10:51 AM

Quote:

Nonsense. The other, more experienced midfielders, including Luka have generally been good since Roy arrived. We have finished comfortably mid table and played their part in that.

When has Jairo ever impacted on games as well as this in the past? When he had chances he didn't take them.

He got his head down, has said himself that he listened to the management about what he needed to add to his game and has forced his way into the managers plans. He has improved.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 25-10-2020 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garfy (Post 15473070)
Delighted heís playing well but anyone who saw him in last yearís pre-season when he looked overweight and disinterested wouldnít question his lack of game time. Since Norwich away when I think he came in to the team heís clearly done something to turn his game around. It may just have been a matter of Building his confirdence.

Yep. Management should be credited with getting more from him. Credit the player himself has given out.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 25-10-2020 11:00 AM

Despite some of the many myths about Roy, if you play well when you have your chance, then he will keep you involved.

Wan-Bissaka, Mitchell and Schlupp are all evidence of that. And now Jairo too. He didn't do enough to displace the more senior midfielders before but now he has. And if he continues to then he will continue to play.

Conversely, Meyer never has taken his chances and that's why he isn't in the team. Just as Sorloth didn't before.

I'm sure Eze will force his way in at some point too - but he'll have to earn it.

Mr Palace 25-10-2020 11:21 AM

It’s great to see a central midfielder break forward and score a goal like that. I might be missing an obvious one but I can’t remember when one of our central midfielders last did this - maybe McArthur at home to Watford in the 2-1 win? It was a lovely finish from Riedewald.

Jasper 25-10-2020 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garfy (Post 15473070)

Good point. Itís always been clear that he has the ability, but he often looked passive and seemed to let games pass him by.

As you say, the little run in the team at left back seemed to reinvigorate him and he has looked a different player since. He played every game in pre-season this year and he looked a lot more lively, closing players down and making tackles.

Letís hope he keeps it up, he could be the midfielder weíve been looking for.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 25-10-2020 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Palace (Post 15473243)
Itís great to see a central midfielder break forward and score a goal like that. I might be missing an obvious one but I canít remember when one of our central midfielders last did this - maybe McArthur at home to Watford in the 2-1 win? It was a lovely finish from Riedewald.

McArthur did it a bit more recently than that. But hasn't much in the last 18 months.

Mr Palace 25-10-2020 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 15473275)
McArthur did it a bit more recently than that. But hasn't much in the last 18 months.

I’m struggling to remember when. Looks like he didn’t score last year but scored three goals the year before, including the one against Watford. I vaguely remember one away to West Ham.

Slim pickings either way so hopefully riedewald will be encouraged to get forward like that.

Gollum 25-10-2020 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 15473197)
Nonsense. The other, more experienced midfielders, including Luka have generally been good since Roy arrived. We have finished comfortably mid table and played their part in that.

When has Jairo ever impacted on games as well as this in the past? When he had chances he didn't take them.

He got his head down, has said himself that he listened to the management about what he needed to add to his game and has forced his way into the managers plans. He has improved.

Agreed. He has improved and he has been well coached.

srh 25-10-2020 12:19 PM

Quote:

You missed the games when he played at left back and was mom two games running? Remember the Justice for Jairo stuff etc...

Mr Palace 25-10-2020 12:32 PM

He was trained at Ajax. I’m not sure how much credit we can take for his natural abilities, but he’s almost certainly learnt more of the defensive side of the game from Hodgson and his coaches.

carter 25-10-2020 02:16 PM

Quote:

Milivojevic has been poor now for probably 2 years. I’d be surprised to see him here next season. I like him but he looks to be declining massively. Rieidwald has done well ever since he came on at left back last season at Vicarage Road

Thefunkymonk 25-10-2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Palace (Post 15473330)
He was trained at Ajax. Iím not sure how much credit we can take for his natural abilities, but heís almost certainly learnt more of the defensive side of the game from Hodgson and his coaches.

Although he played at the back at Ajax.. so not sure about that either. Iím glad heís taken his opportunity. Good player.

SA Eagle 25-10-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Palace (Post 15473243)
Itís great to see a central midfielder break forward and score a goal like that. I might be missing an obvious one but I canít remember when one of our central midfielders last did this - maybe McArthur at home to Watford in the 2-1 win? It was a lovely finish from Riedewald.

CK at home to West Ham on boxing day.

Palacebear 25-10-2020 02:25 PM

I would like to see us build the midfield around him, I would like to see the following at some point;

Bats
Eze
Schlupp Wilf
Jairo McCarthy/Jimmy/Luka

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 25-10-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Palace (Post 15473292)
Iím struggling to remember when. Looks like he didnít score last year but scored three goals the year before, including the one against Watford. I vaguely remember one away to West Ham.

Slim pickings either way so hopefully riedewald will be encouraged to get forward like that.

The Watford goals were 17/18 season.
He scored more goals after that in the same season. A few in 18/19 as you said.

Martin H 25-10-2020 02:51 PM

The big question over Jairo was 'intensity' and covering the ground up and down the park. TBH, they were fair questions and you could often hear Ray/coaches urging him on in the U23 matches. He always looked calm, composed and intelligent but games would go on around him. He has really changed that and we saw it first at LB (where he made it clear he doesn't want to play) and now in midfield. He has done this without losing anything of his game and TBH is looking very good now and at only 24 can now build on this, hopefully with Palace. I have always 'liked' Jairo and the type of player he looks but I wouldn't have put him into a PL midfield prior that change in his game.

I find the current euphoria over him being the next Cabaye or better , first name on team sheet all as weird as writing him off as useless and should be sold as we had not so long ago. He is doing very well. I thought he was more involved alongside Macca than with Luka who pretty much dominated the ball yesterday. Really hoping he can build on this now and maybe become a force in the PL for us. Thanks FDB :)

chateauferret 25-10-2020 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SA Eagle (Post 15473449)

Kouyate can pop up with one whether he's assigned to midfield or centre-back, of course. He's a unit at corner kicks.

It was a while ago now, and longer ago than that, but Cabaye scoring our second in a 3 - 0 demolition of Arsenal was worth tuning in for, and so was the look on Giroud's face afterwards.

McArthur used to get a few but not recently. Oh and Meyer, the late one against the bin dippers to make it 4 - 3. Milivojevic only hits them from distance or from the penalty spot.

beef 25-10-2020 03:15 PM

Credit to him for waiting for his chance. Could become a cult hero at Palace.

Mr Palace 25-10-2020 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SA Eagle (Post 15473449)

Ah yes, that was a good one. Enjoyed that.

Mr Palace 25-10-2020 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk (Post 15473442)
Although he played at the back at Ajax.. so not sure about that either. Iím glad heís taken his opportunity. Good player.

I meant in terms of his composure on the ball and ability to hold on to the ball. Heís clearly had a good football education.

But heís now becoming a more rounded player. He looked like a rabbit in the headlights on his debut but has done well to hang in there and heís more physical now. Good player.

cpfc 81 25-10-2020 03:20 PM

When is he under contact till?

chrisophiex 25-10-2020 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beef (Post 15473497)
Credit to him for waiting for his chance. Could become a cult hero at Palace.

Weíve been screaming out for someone how can take the ball and pass the ball. Real quality.

Johnsonpen 25-10-2020 03:28 PM

Needs good players around him who can pass as well as he can and not lose the ball to let counterattacks happen. He was one of the top rated passers in the Dutch league so his ability was always there. Seems to pick up small injuries but he adds something to the team.

Braders 25-10-2020 03:35 PM

Needs mobility around him, but seems a real player who could dictate play. I was sceptical but proving me wrong. Well done and hopefully it continues

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 25-10-2020 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srh (Post 15473319)
You missed the games when he played at left back and was mom two games running? Remember the Justice for Jairo stuff etc...

He did better than expected there and no doubt forced his way back in to Roy's thinking. Nowhere near being a starter in that position though.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 25-10-2020 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carter (Post 15473441)
Milivojevic has been poor now for probably 2 years. Iíd be surprised to see him here next season. I like him but he looks to be declining massively. Rieidwald has done well ever since he came on at left back last season at Vicarage Road

2 years?!! We were all delighted when he signed a new deal just over a year ago.

Was still a key player in the 18/19 season and wasn't as bad as some make out in the first half of last season either.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 25-10-2020 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Palace (Post 15473499)
Ah yes, that was a good one. Enjoyed that.

McArthur's last bombing on from midfield goals were probably at the end of the 18/19 season.

He got one in the 5-0 against Leicester and one of the goals that sent Stoke down as well. Think RLC played him in?

Mr Palace 25-10-2020 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 15473602)
McArthur's last bombing on from midfield goals were probably at the end of the 18/19 season.

He got one in the 5-0 against Leicester and one of the goals that sent Stoke down as well. Think RLC played him in?

Ah yes, that stoke goal in particular was class. I was at that game and he calmly slotted it in after a great move. What a player he has been for us.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 25-10-2020 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Palace (Post 15473669)
Ah yes, that stoke goal in particular was class. I was at that game and he calmly slotted it in after a great move. What a player he has been for us.

Yep. Top notch. Great character too.

EdMan 29-10-2020 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpfc 81 (Post 15473507)
When is he under contact till?

Out of contract in the summer apparently. You'd think they'd want to get that sorted.

stinky 29-10-2020 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdMan (Post 15477832)
Out of contract in the summer apparently. You'd think they'd want to get that sorted.

He's not

nicobos 29-10-2020 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinky (Post 15477836)
He's not

Really ?

Big Blue Eagle 29-10-2020 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdMan (Post 15477832)

June 2022 not next year, and at just turned 24 definitely one we would be looking to extend

stinky 29-10-2020 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicobos (Post 15477858)
Really ?

El Aguila 29-10-2020 02:05 PM

Wow, so he had a five year deal?!

EdMan 29-10-2020 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinky (Post 15477868)

I hope you're right. Was just going by this.

https://readcrystalpalace.com/?p=31460

EdMan 29-10-2020 02:07 PM

Hence the "apparently" :)

Big Blue Eagle 29-10-2020 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdMan (Post 15477879)
Hence the "apparently" :)

The first page of the Squad page in Transfers has all the current contract dates etc for the players.

EdMan 29-10-2020 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Blue Eagle (Post 15477886)
The first page of the Squad page in Transfers has all the current contract dates etc for the players.

Excellent, well, never trust a journalist eh?

beef 29-10-2020 02:46 PM

If he does well in the next couple of games I'd be tempted to convert him into a striker. He has all the attributes to be great up front.

PALACEWU 29-10-2020 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beef (Post 15477951)
If he does well in the next couple of games I'd be tempted to convert him into a striker. He has all the attributes to be great up front.

GF has hacked beef.

casinocolin 29-10-2020 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Blue Eagle (Post 15477886)

Also on this as 30/6/2022......

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jair...spieler/241481

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 29-10-2020 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Aguila (Post 15477875)
Wow, so he had a five year deal?!

Yep.

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/2017/jul...ns-for-palace/

cpfcfan1 29-10-2020 03:24 PM

Either 3 or 5 year deals we offer

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 29-10-2020 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpfcfan1 (Post 15478025)
Either 3 or 5 year deals we offer

I've noticed that a lot of the out of contract or dirt cheap deals are 3 years. See Guaita, Ferguson, Meyer.

I wonder if that's the players/ agents wanting to keep the option of another big wage/ no transfer fee deal in the not too distant?

casinocolin 29-10-2020 03:40 PM

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/2020/oct...lves-v-palace/

Just remembered De Boer is their manager now, hope he doesn't mess him up.

Thefunkymonk 07-11-2020 05:03 PM

Absolutely outstanding today

bigend1 07-11-2020 05:11 PM

Watch jimmy. Watch mccathy. Watch cabaye? Any of them! (To jairo)

So much talent but no urgency and ducked, unforgivably out of a header for the corner that made it 2-2 or 3-2 down if var wasn't shite. That's a massive change to the rest of the game.

I rate him. Really do. Could be too good for us but needs aggression/urgency. Had times to close down and h3 didn't. Ducked from the header etc..

Not to be harsh. A good player.... he could be our cabaye but he needs that last bit. Its right there... can you teach it?!

GB2506 07-11-2020 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigend1 (Post 15494576)

So much talent but no urgency and ducked, unforgivably out of a header for the corner that made it 2-2 or 3-2 down if var wasn't shite. That's a massive change to the rest of the game.

I rate him. Really do. Could be too good for us but needs aggression/urgency. Had times to close down and h3 didn't. Ducked from the header etc..

Not to be harsh. A good player.... he could be our cabaye but he needs that last bit. Its right there... can you teach it?!

Huh?? I counted 5 or 6 very decent tackles he made today. Heís probably being told not to close down like Jimmy as we need him sitting slightly deeper.

Heís so calm on the ball and also noticed today he wonít every challenged header he was involved in. Absolutely superb performance again from him.

cpfcfan1 07-11-2020 05:19 PM

Get him a contract extension!

AJ 07-11-2020 05:34 PM

He is doing well considering that he has only regularly got into the starting line up this season. He is still learning so hopefully he continues to get picked.

philsick 07-11-2020 05:36 PM

Quote:

You're pretty much alone with your constant criticism of jairo. Player of the month , awarded motm nearly every game on here, got all the attributes to be a star for us but you have to keep digging him out and wanting an average journeyman mcarthy to replace him just cause he's feisty tackler. He's quality.

Malaga Eagle 07-11-2020 05:38 PM

I thought he was fantastic today and getting better,maybe if the rest of the midfield were on the same wavelength who knows?

GB2506 07-11-2020 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philsick (Post 15494637)
You're pretty much alone with your constant criticism of jairo. Player of the month , awarded motm nearly every game on here, got all the attributes to be a star for us but you have to keep digging him out and wanting an average journeyman mcarthy to replace him just cause he's feisty tackler. He's quality.

Spot on!!!

scro 07-11-2020 05:41 PM

I am not convinced. Think he could be a bit of a liability when it comes to positioning and run tracking. Tidy enough but think he has to have a real cdm in with him or we are exposed.

GB2506 07-11-2020 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scro (Post 15494654)
I am not convinced. Think he could be a bit of a liability when it comes to positioning and run tracking. Tidy enough but think he has to have a real cdm in with him or we are exposed.

Thank god you arenít manager then.

Keith Powell 07-11-2020 05:46 PM

Quote:

What a load of crap you obviously didn't watch the game.

Stinger1 07-11-2020 05:48 PM

First name on the teamsheet at the moment.

aj4england 07-11-2020 05:48 PM

Well done Currently got to be first name on the sheet for midfield but we need another one like him ideally a tad quicker