CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

mpfn 25-10-2020 10:48 AM

He needs to play if fit.
He can pick a pass, and more importantly, is young.
I was impressed with him when he was filling in for PVA at left back.
Him and Eze in the same team is a exciting prospect.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 25-10-2020 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carter (Post 15472955)
Criminal that itís taken this long for him to get game time. He is brilliant in centre mid. Has the best football brain on the team

Nonsense. The other, more experienced midfielders, including Luka have generally been good since Roy arrived. We have finished comfortably mid table and played their part in that.

When has Jairo ever impacted on games as well as this in the past? When he had chances he didn't take them.

He got his head down, has said himself that he listened to the management about what he needed to add to his game and has forced his way into the managers plans. He has improved.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 25-10-2020 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garfy (Post 15473070)
Delighted heís playing well but anyone who saw him in last yearís pre-season when he looked overweight and disinterested wouldnít question his lack of game time. Since Norwich away when I think he came in to the team heís clearly done something to turn his game around. It may just have been a matter of Building his confirdence.

Yep. Management should be credited with getting more from him. Credit the player himself has given out.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 25-10-2020 11:00 AM

Despite some of the many myths about Roy, if you play well when you have your chance, then he will keep you involved.

Wan-Bissaka, Mitchell and Schlupp are all evidence of that. And now Jairo too. He didn't do enough to displace the more senior midfielders before but now he has. And if he continues to then he will continue to play.

Conversely, Meyer never has taken his chances and that's why he isn't in the team. Just as Sorloth didn't before.

I'm sure Eze will force his way in at some point too - but he'll have to earn it.

Mr Palace 25-10-2020 11:21 AM

It’s great to see a central midfielder break forward and score a goal like that. I might be missing an obvious one but I can’t remember when one of our central midfielders last did this - maybe McArthur at home to Watford in the 2-1 win? It was a lovely finish from Riedewald.

Jasper 25-10-2020 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garfy (Post 15473070)
Delighted heís playing well but anyone who saw him in last yearís pre-season when he looked overweight and disinterested wouldnít question his lack of game time. Since Norwich away when I think he came in to the team heís clearly done something to turn his game around. It may just have been a matter of Building his confirdence.

Good point. Itís always been clear that he has the ability, but he often looked passive and seemed to let games pass him by.

As you say, the little run in the team at left back seemed to reinvigorate him and he has looked a different player since. He played every game in pre-season this year and he looked a lot more lively, closing players down and making tackles.

Letís hope he keeps it up, he could be the midfielder weíve been looking for.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 25-10-2020 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Palace (Post 15473243)
Itís great to see a central midfielder break forward and score a goal like that. I might be missing an obvious one but I canít remember when one of our central midfielders last did this - maybe McArthur at home to Watford in the 2-1 win? It was a lovely finish from Riedewald.

McArthur did it a bit more recently than that. But hasn't much in the last 18 months.

Mr Palace 25-10-2020 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 15473275)
McArthur did it a bit more recently than that. But hasn't much in the last 18 months.

I’m struggling to remember when. Looks like he didn’t score last year but scored three goals the year before, including the one against Watford. I vaguely remember one away to West Ham.

Slim pickings either way so hopefully riedewald will be encouraged to get forward like that.

Gollum 25-10-2020 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 15473197)
Nonsense. The other, more experienced midfielders, including Luka have generally been good since Roy arrived. We have finished comfortably mid table and played their part in that.

When has Jairo ever impacted on games as well as this in the past? When he had chances he didn't take them.

He got his head down, has said himself that he listened to the management about what he needed to add to his game and has forced his way into the managers plans. He has improved.

Agreed. He has improved and he has been well coached.

srh 25-10-2020 12:19 PM

Quote:

You missed the games when he played at left back and was mom two games running? Remember the Justice for Jairo stuff etc...

Mr Palace 25-10-2020 12:32 PM

He was trained at Ajax. I’m not sure how much credit we can take for his natural abilities, but he’s almost certainly learnt more of the defensive side of the game from Hodgson and his coaches.

carter 25-10-2020 02:16 PM

Quote:

Milivojevic has been poor now for probably 2 years. I’d be surprised to see him here next season. I like him but he looks to be declining massively. Rieidwald has done well ever since he came on at left back last season at Vicarage Road

Thefunkymonk 25-10-2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Palace (Post 15473330)
He was trained at Ajax. Iím not sure how much credit we can take for his natural abilities, but heís almost certainly learnt more of the defensive side of the game from Hodgson and his coaches.

Although he played at the back at Ajax.. so not sure about that either. Iím glad heís taken his opportunity. Good player.

SA Eagle 25-10-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Palace (Post 15473243)
Itís great to see a central midfielder break forward and score a goal like that. I might be missing an obvious one but I canít remember when one of our central midfielders last did this - maybe McArthur at home to Watford in the 2-1 win? It was a lovely finish from Riedewald.

CK at home to West Ham on boxing day.

Palacebear 25-10-2020 02:25 PM

I would like to see us build the midfield around him, I would like to see the following at some point;

Bats
Eze
Schlupp Wilf
Jairo McCarthy/Jimmy/Luka

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 25-10-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Palace (Post 15473292)
Iím struggling to remember when. Looks like he didnít score last year but scored three goals the year before, including the one against Watford. I vaguely remember one away to West Ham.

Slim pickings either way so hopefully riedewald will be encouraged to get forward like that.

The Watford goals were 17/18 season.
He scored more goals after that in the same season. A few in 18/19 as you said.

Martin H 25-10-2020 02:51 PM

The big question over Jairo was 'intensity' and covering the ground up and down the park. TBH, they were fair questions and you could often hear Ray/coaches urging him on in the U23 matches. He always looked calm, composed and intelligent but games would go on around him. He has really changed that and we saw it first at LB (where he made it clear he doesn't want to play) and now in midfield. He has done this without losing anything of his game and TBH is looking very good now and at only 24 can now build on this, hopefully with Palace. I have always 'liked' Jairo and the type of player he looks but I wouldn't have put him into a PL midfield prior that change in his game.

I find the current euphoria over him being the next Cabaye or better , first name on team sheet all as weird as writing him off as useless and should be sold as we had not so long ago. He is doing very well. I thought he was more involved alongside Macca than with Luka who pretty much dominated the ball yesterday. Really hoping he can build on this now and maybe become a force in the PL for us. Thanks FDB :)

chateauferret 25-10-2020 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SA Eagle (Post 15473449)

Kouyate can pop up with one whether he's assigned to midfield or centre-back, of course. He's a unit at corner kicks.

It was a while ago now, and longer ago than that, but Cabaye scoring our second in a 3 - 0 demolition of Arsenal was worth tuning in for, and so was the look on Giroud's face afterwards.

McArthur used to get a few but not recently. Oh and Meyer, the late one against the bin dippers to make it 4 - 3. Milivojevic only hits them from distance or from the penalty spot.

beef 25-10-2020 03:15 PM

Credit to him for waiting for his chance. Could become a cult hero at Palace.

Mr Palace 25-10-2020 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SA Eagle (Post 15473449)

Ah yes, that was a good one. Enjoyed that.