CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

Owngoal 02-10-2017 03:26 PM

Could turn out to be one hell of a player (20 FFS) and best passer of a ball at the club.

jimmy the gent 02-10-2017 03:30 PM

His lack of tracking back for Lukaku's goal was pathetic. Needs that sorted ASAP if he's ever going to make it in English football (or anywhere else for that matter). For a supposed defender, it was pretty unforgivable.

Martin H 02-10-2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TouchyAndalou (Post 13878044)
Our defense was carved open at that point, of course it's the responsibility of anybody who is able to pick up a dangerous goalscorer free in the box. "Meh, not my responsibility" isn't a favourable attitude in a team fighting relegation.

I agree that ideally he would have followed Lukaku but then Luka was just parallel too, ideally someone would have challenged Lukaku for the header, Ward would have read the ball and got to it first, Sakho would have closed down Martial (half hearted effort if you watch again) etc etc etc etc. It looks bad on the TV but it's not worth blowing out of proportion. It was a factor. TBH the back 4 seemed all over the place for that whole piece and the players just seemed to 'all shrug their shoulders' at the same moment.

jimmy the gent 02-10-2017 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 13878154)
I agree that ideally he would have followed Lukaku but then Luka was just parallel too, ideally someone would have challenged Lukaku for the header, Ward would have read the ball and got to it first, Sakho would have closed down Martial (half hearted effort if you watch again) etc etc etc etc. It looks bad on the TV but it's not worth blowing out of proportion. It was a factor. TBH the back 4 seemed all over the place for that whole piece and the players just seemed to 'all shrug their shoulders' at the same moment.

F*ck that. It's unacceptable not to track your marker, especially when he's the leagues top scorer! Seen this too often at Palace lately, Cabaye at fault vs Southampton. I cannot understand why a player just gives up like that. Unacceptable.

Lombardo's hair 02-10-2017 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy the gent (Post 13878213)
F*ck that. It's unacceptable not to track your marker, especially when he's the leagues top scorer! Seen this too often at Palace lately, Cabaye at fault vs Southampton. I cannot understand why a player just gives up like that. Unacceptable.

Oh dear. Let's bury a 20:year old midfielder for not busting a gut to stop a center forward who was left unmarked in an ocean if space by the back four! Especially as we were losing 3 0 at time. All his fault. FFS get real

Martin H 02-10-2017 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lombardo's hair (Post 13878229)
Oh dear. Let's bury a 20:year old midfielder for not busting a gut to stop a center forward who was left unmarked in an ocean if space by the back four! Especially as we were losing 3 0 at time. All his fault. FFS get real

agree.

Chris Finch 02-10-2017 04:43 PM

thought he looked very comfortable on the ball when he came on

cockles 02-10-2017 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owngoal (Post 13878136)
Could turn out to be one hell of a player (20 FFS) and best passer of a ball at the club.

21 yo, and passes to the keeper pollute passing stats making your assertion "best passer" invalid.

Would be nice if he could defend.

TouchyAndalou 02-10-2017 05:05 PM

Quote:

We don't need to bury him, we can just point out that this is not an attitude conducive to the relegation dogfight we find ourselves in. Is he the most to blame for that goal? Not by a long shot, but it's still reasonable to expect a fresh sub to make an effort in that situation, especially considering Roy's been talking about finding out who is up for the fight, wanting to see players continue to battle regardless of the scoreline, etc.

In contrast, against Huddersfield when we were already a couple of goals down (iirc), Dann made a mistake and gifted them a one on one opportunity on goal and TFM busted a gut to deny them that opportunity.

Having said that, hopefully it's just a one off and he can be counted on not to do that when a game is really on the line. Because I'd like to see Riedewald play as much as anyone. It was obvious when he came on that his ability on the ball is miles ahead of several of our players and I've been saying for years that we need to populate the team with better technical players if we're to have any chance if progressing.

jimmy the gent 02-10-2017 05:44 PM

Quote:

Where did i say a) it was 'all his fault', or b) bury him? He failed to track his runner and that isn't acceptable. He needs to be told that in no uncertain terms, if he's ever going to make it here. Would you not agree?

Martin H 02-10-2017 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TouchyAndalou (Post 13878305)
We don't need to bury him, we can just point out that this is not an attitude conducive to the relegation dogfight we find ourselves in. Is he the most to blame for that goal? Not by a long shot, but it's still reasonable to expect a fresh sub to make an effort in that situation, especially considering Roy's been talking about finding out who is up for the fight, wanting to see players continue to battle regardless of the scoreline, etc.

In contrast, against Huddersfield when we were already a couple of goals down (iirc), Dann made a mistake and gifted them a one on one opportunity on goal and TFM busted a gut to deny them that opportunity.

Having said that, hopefully it's just a one off and he can be counted on not to do that when a game is really on the line. Because I'd like to see Riedewald play as much as anyone. It was obvious when he came on that his ability on the ball is miles ahead of several of our players and I've been saying for years that we need to populate the team with better technical players if we're to have any chance if progressing.

The trouble here is that it's already blown out of proportion and if you watch that whole sequence get are about 5 players failing and his just happens to be the one being pointed out, I assume because if MOTD. For instance Luka is about 3 yards to his right but not a whisper. What was his excuse? And so on.

Your comment was correct and I am not suggesting you were wrong to post, more lamenting that he is now being fingered as the culprit when he was a bit player and if course it sticks because he is new, young and Dutch.

bodger 02-10-2017 06:02 PM

Very promising player.

Mr Palace 02-10-2017 06:02 PM

I think we need to go to two defensive midfielders screening the back four given our defensive woes. It would be good to give Riedewald a go alongside Luka for Chelsea at least. It's early days for him but he looks more suited to central midfield now but hopefully he will eventually become a very good centre back.

The other option might be to play him at left back given some less than impressive displays from PvA. I think Schlupp will eventually go to left back but I imagine he'll have to play further forward until we bring in reinforcements in January.

jimmy the gent 02-10-2017 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Palace (Post 13878416)

The other option might be to play him at left back given some less than impressive displays from PvA. I think Schlupp will eventually go to left back but I imagine he'll have to play further forward until we bring in reinforcements in January.

That's a good shout. Watching either the tin man and the lion (Sclupp and PVA) at LB is killing me this year.

Chris K 02-10-2017 06:48 PM

As a midfielder I think he looks promising

Jman 02-10-2017 07:20 PM

Agree him at left back with Timo on the right, Sahko and JT in the middle could be a decent back four

beef 02-10-2017 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris K (Post 13878490)
As a midfielder I think he looks promising

Definitely. Glad my prediction about him never playing for Palace again was wrong!

Battle EAGLE 02-10-2017 07:33 PM

We are gonna be fine.

elgin eagle 02-10-2017 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jman (Post 13878545)
Agree him at left back with Timo on the right, Sahko and JT in the middle could be a decent back four

Frees up our 3 left wing backs for other duties too.

beef 02-10-2017 07:46 PM

Really hope that PvA is dropped or put in midfield from now on. His defending is atrocious.