CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

Nigelbrag 25-07-2017 09:05 AM

A lot of people getting carried away without probably ever seeing Riedewald playing, afterall he is a 20yr old with limited playing experience and none in the premiership where he will be up against players way above the quality he previously faced. To then play him in a Back Three of Chambers-Tomkins-Riedewald for me is a huge risk that could badly backfire, our strengths as a team will always be in defence, personally if it is to be a "Back Three" i would feel more comfortable if that was Tomkins-Dann-Sakho, OR ideally in a more solid Back Four of Van der Weil- Dann-Sakho-Van Arnholt.
Instead of getting Chambers for 20m to balance the outgoings, i would rather see us try and go a little further and work out a compromise fee say 23m? for Sakho a defender who is proven with us and we know works well in our setup, and played alongside Dann they could be our ROCK in the middle, with pacy overlapping FB's and then sit Luka in front of that defence would make our defence very difficult to penetrate, that should be our starting point in a new setup in my opinion.

Eagle's Away 25-07-2017 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Dogers (Post 13745975)
Looks good but aas you said it's still 4 (twice the players in so far) to go. The striker is the key, as a first 11 we are already looking ok with what we have but if Benteke got an injury we would be seriously up the Gary!

I am with you - another Striker & GK are priorities. Another defender and midfielder would be icing on the cake. Much though I like Sakho, the good thing is that FDB has not splurged all his (undoubtedly limited) budget on one big signing and so hopefully there may be room for 2-3 more.

art malice 25-07-2017 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maestro (Post 13745987)
Its ok saying he can pass but does anyone know what his defending is like?

Pass

Harry Holmesdale 25-07-2017 10:15 AM

Promising signing but transitioning from the Dutch league to the Prem is a big step up, not many do well

Friskey 25-07-2017 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Holmesdale (Post 13746205)
Promising signing but transitioning from the Dutch league to the Prem is a big step up, not many do well

How many defenders have struggled?

Eagle Kneevil 25-07-2017 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friskey (Post 13746214)
How many defenders have struggled?

Valerian Ismael came from the French league, which is arguably better. But I take your point. :)

Sydenham Eagle 25-07-2017 10:37 AM

Yes I recall some totally disastrous Dutch players in the Premier league like Bergkamp, Overmars, Stam, van der Sar, van Nistelorooy, van Bronckhurst, van Persie, Krul, van Dijk, Robben, Wijnaldum....

eddieskyclad 25-07-2017 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Holmesdale (Post 13746205)

I'd say there are more that have done well than have done badly...

rambo1 25-07-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

No,but,Frank De Boer does.

Popester 25-07-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

This article is quite informative: https://medium.com/@sjors.vanveen/ja...e-e759dc014e2b

His passing is, as I said before, maybe his biggest quality. He can break lines and is immediately, for sure, Palace’s best ball playing defender. If De Boer surely wants to build up from the back, Riedewald is a true addition to the squad. If De Boer wants to play long balls to Benteke, Riedewald can do that too.

Last season it seemed he was a bit lazy, but that had to do with his situation at Ajax. When he gets minutes constantly, which I think he gets at Palace, he’ll be good and develop himself to an even better defender. Due his versatility, you can say he’s quite complete. He can be stronger in one vs. one defensively, but with the likes of real PL-defenders in the team and De Boer, he’ll improve at that aspect of the game, for sure.

TWELLSEagle 25-07-2017 11:37 AM

Love having a everyone still ignoring the insanity of signing a £30m player with a knee problem

Fatboy 25-07-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 13745849)
I don't see the point of keeping Delaney or Williams TBH.

Let alone Mutch and Lee.

Comedy relief ?

Billyd 25-07-2017 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigelbrag (Post 13746123)
A lot of people getting carried away without probably ever seeing Riedewald playing, afterall he is a 20yr old with limited playing experience and none in the premiership where he will be up against players way above the quality he previously faced. To then play him in a Back Three of Chambers-Tomkins-Riedewald for me is a huge risk that could badly backfire, our strengths as a team will always be in defence, personally if it is to be a "Back Three" i would feel more comfortable if that was Tomkins-Dann-Sakho, OR ideally in a more solid Back Four of Van der Weil- Dann-Sakho-Van Arnholt.

Couldnt agree more. Last season this guy started 8 games at CB in a far inferior league. Yet people expect him to come in and play as a back 3!

Old Joe Paxton 25-07-2017 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWELLSEagle (Post 13746318)
Love having a everyone still ignoring the insanity of signing a £30m player with a knee problem

zackly

adrenalin john 25-07-2017 12:17 PM

New GK (cover Hennessey Speroni)

New RWB Tomkins Dann Giro PVA (cover: Schlupp, Ward, Kelly, Delaney)
Cabaye Luka (cover: Cheek, Puncheon McArthur, Williams)
Zaha Benteke Townsend (cover: Sakho,Puncheon,Schlupp, Wickham, Adepo,KaiKai)

aashman12 25-07-2017 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 13745498)
Maybe. But I could also see him being our first choice left sided centre back too. I guess only Frank and a few others around him will know the plan at the moment.

If we did sign another left sided CB then Jairo would be an excellent, versatile option from the bench.

Off the bench?

aashman12 25-07-2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kidofwonder (Post 13745482)
He's very much a RCB/RB

Think you're confused with veltman

GreatGonzo 25-07-2017 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrenalin john (Post 13746366)
New GK (cover Hennessey Speroni)

New RWB Tomkins Dann Giro PVA (cover: Schlupp, Ward, Kelly, Delaney)
Cabaye Luka (cover: Cheek, Puncheon McArthur, Williams)
Zaha Benteke Townsend (cover: Sakho,Puncheon,Schlupp, Wickham, Adepo,KaiKai)

Wonder if at the moment with the players we have we are looking at:
Hennessey
Tomkins Dann Jairo
Townsend - Puncheon - Luka - PVA/Schlupp
RLC - Benteke - Zaha

SOUTHGATE EAGLE 25-07-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWELLSEagle (Post 13746318)

Especially when we already have several candidates that can play CB but have only Benteke fit up front and no one yet proven to be able to play a telling final ball from midfield in a side that is supposed to be evolving towards passing. I guess some people assume Wilf and Benteke are just going to have to remain bullet-proof for another season so that we can spunk £30M on Sahko and have cobwebs left to do anything else.

minch1 25-07-2017 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cannon (Post 13745931)
Sako is NOT a striker

Agreed he is down as an attacking midfielder or winger but His career goal scoring ratio is not far behind Connor Wickham. He is a big guy with a terrific shot. He has to be worth a try. De Boer seems to be giving him chance.