CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

mushroom 11-05-2018 08:38 AM

Good player, can cover a few positions... probably needed this season to toughen up and get a little fitter (hard without games). I think he'll feature quite a lot next season.

Pete79 11-05-2018 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuieJack (Post 14252532)
But the reality is under Roy Hodgson he has Not progressed, and in all honesty he has disappointed whenever chosen, maybe he just is NOT as good as we all had hoped for and needs to be moved on, also after nearly a whole season to have still not established himself is maybe telling us fans something that Roy has already realised.

He's 21. He's only appeared in 12 games this season, 8 as substitute, and played quite well (the Man City game comes to mind). How is he supposed to have 'established himself' with McArthur, Cabaye, RLC and Luka in front of him? What does that even mean? And how do you know what Roy has or has not realised?

ForzaPalace 11-05-2018 08:40 AM

Think he's definitely got something about him, however I do expect him to leave in the summer, probably back to Ajax

Mictor Voses 11-05-2018 08:40 AM

Good player. Give him more game time and he can develop. I think we really need to keep him as we have very little cover in defensive midfield.

Latvian Eagle 11-05-2018 08:41 AM

Maybe I was a little harsh on Jairo as he's quite useful to cover quite a few positions. The trouble is we have spent £7.5m - £9m on him. For that price he should be starting games. We've got almost no value for money out of his first season.

I still think if an offer came in that recouped most of what we paid for him we'd be very tempted to part ways though.

Thefunkymonk 11-05-2018 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete79 (Post 14252626)
He's 21. He's only appeared in 12 games this season, 8 as substitute, and played quite well (the Man City game comes to mind). How is he supposed to have 'established himself' with McArthur, Cabaye, RLC and Luka in front of him? What does that even mean? And how do you know what Roy has or has not realised?

Roy was actually recently quoted saying he was a quality player. But hey.. these people know Better

chelmsfordeagle 11-05-2018 08:47 AM

I'd be disappointed if we sold him. We bought potential not a complete player. Keep him even if it means him going on loan for the first half of the season to get 20 games and then we reassess in Jan.

Latvian 11-05-2018 08:53 AM

Gotta keep this lad. Has quality. Establish which position he is best in, we are potentially losing Ward, Kelly, Cabaye and others this summer. He has played understudy for a year, let Roy choose where he best fits. If after a year of playing week-in, week-out or at least say 70% of matches we can then judge him.

However, gut tells me he will return to Holland or end up elsewhere on the continent, then like Valerian Ismael, we will see him playing in the UEFA cup or Champs League in 2019/2020 (not for us!).

Green Bin 11-05-2018 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14252555)
‘Disappointed whenever chosen?’ Can only recall four starts under Hodgson, an excellent performance vs Man City, a very good performance vs Burnley, and two average performances, vs Spurs and vs Brighton in the cup. He’s 21 years old, was brought in for 9 million (which is peanuts nowadays), and has had to deal with a new country, new league and the FDB debacle this season. Incredible that some are giving up on him already.

This.....let's not do a Mourinho and let a talented player go because we're not prepared to give someone time to adapt to new surroundings, league and environment and develop. From what I've seen he has touch, a good pass, vision, positioning sense and a decent tackler, will get more game time next season and by the following season could be seen as Cabaye's (better) successor.

I always note how Thierry Henry's first season at Arsenal was pretty mundane.

We need to be patient with Sorloth and Jach as well

Benzhiyi 11-05-2018 08:55 AM

Just to give some perspective, the difference in age between Riedewald and Wan-Bissaka is… 14 months.

Will we be wanting AWB binned in December too if he doesn't quite live up to the form demonstrated on breaking into the side?

Quality young players take time to develop. Look at Jose Campana now compared to his time at Palace.

Latvian Eagle 11-05-2018 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian (Post 14252652)
Gotta keep this lad. Has quality. Establish which position he is best in, we are potentially losing Ward, Kelly, Cabaye and others this summer. He has played understudy for a year, let Roy choose where he best fits. If after a year of playing week-in, week-out or at least say 70% of matches we can then judge him.

However, gut tells me he will return to Holland or end up elsewhere on the continent, then like Valerian Ismael, we will see him playing in the UEFA cup or Champs League in 2019/2020 (not for us!).

He's already played in one. :moo:

JackTheBiscuit 11-05-2018 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk (Post 14252609)
I was wrong. I also actually suggested Roy before fdb but the manger merry go round fatigiengot to me. I was wrong, I was a twat.

But my point still stands

Sorry what point was that? You said what is wrong with "you lot" when I wasn't even criticising him - quite the reverse in fact.

switchboard 11-05-2018 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzhiyi (Post 14252655)
Just to give some perspective, the difference in age between Riedewald and Wan-Bissaka is… 14 months.

Will we be wanting AWB binned in December too if he doesn't quite live up to the form demonstrated on breaking into the side?

Quality young players take time to develop. Look at Jose Campana now compared to his time at Palace.

Good post, lets support the kid before binning him off.

ebyeeckeagle 11-05-2018 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle (Post 14252630)
...The trouble is we have spent £7.5m - £9m on him. For that price he should be starting games. We've got almost no value for money out of his first season..

Sorry, but I don't understand that point at all.

That level of spend is pretty routine for a decent squad player these days, so not sure why that sort of fee indicates a regular starter; playing worth does that. As to value? Well, that surely is measured over the longer term. Otherwise we really are into the realm of quick fixes and instant returns. That is fine for the odd player, but we also need to be taking a chance on players developing.

We will know if this was 'value' when he either starts playing regularly or at least becoming an important squad player. Or we sell him and see what fee we get in return.

aj4england 11-05-2018 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebyeeckeagle (Post 14252668)
Sorry, but I don't understand that point at all.

That level of spend is pretty routine for a decent squad player these days, so not sure why that sort of fee indicates a regular starter; playing worth does that. As to value? Well, that surely is measured over the longer term. Otherwise we really are into the realm of quick fixes and instant returns. That is fine for the odd player, but we also need to be taking a chance on players developing.

We will know if this was 'value' when he either starts playing regularly or at least becoming an important squad player. Or we sell him and see what fee we get in return.

Agreed. The more sestablished premier club you become, the more £8m bench warmers you have, whether that is right or wrong

SOUTHGATE EAGLE 11-05-2018 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForzaPalace (Post 14252627)
Think he's definitely got something about him, however I do expect him to leave in the summer, probably back to Ajax

I suspect you are right but I would be happy to give Riedewald another season. If we do wish to play a passing style from midfield, he is technically proficient enough to develop into a DM or CM starter. He's already reasonably sound cover for both positions and it must be pointed out that he is 21. No one can say what he may become in a few years.

And I've two words for those claiming he's been proven not to have the 'stuff' after just a handful of appearances; Andy Johnson.

The idea that we should eject Riedewald is almost as bonkers as those who said we should eject McArthur exactly twelve months ago.

eddieskyclad 11-05-2018 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzhiyi (Post 14252655)
Quality young players take time to develop. Look at Jose Campana now compared to his time at Palace.

Not sure one season in a struggling La Liga team is actually proof that Campana is actually any good ;)

Braders 11-05-2018 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzhiyi (Post 14252655)
Quality young players take time to develop. Look at Jose Campana now compared to his time at Palace.

Campana was always quality, badly mismanaged.

dave_who_ru 11-05-2018 09:31 AM

Once the injury crisis subsided Roy finished up with his 'best' 11 and given our position he has stuck with it.

It's never easy throwing a new young player into a team that is battling relegation for much of the season particularly as he was bought in for a position that he was never going to fill.

He has stood up well and is the type of player we need to strengthen the team in depth

steve hail 11-05-2018 09:31 AM

We don't deserve good players - well, some of us don't. And I agree about Campana.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.