CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

Sodermalm 23-06-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Fozzie (Post 14798545)
Always important to remember that palace fans wrote off Murray and Jedinak as not good enough

And Zeki Fryers

cockles 23-06-2019 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Fozzie (Post 14798545)
Always important to remember that palace fans wrote off Murray and Jedinak as not good enough

So because Glenn Murray is a great player, so must be Riedewald, is that what you're saying?

ForestGateEagle 23-06-2019 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sodermalm (Post 14798580)
And Zeki Fryers

Who has just joined Swindon, from Barnsley, on a free.

Jon_C-Pal 23-06-2019 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crozzy71 (Post 14798516)
63 games for Ajax who apparently arenít a bad team. Also capped at every level for the national side.

Yet not deemed good enough for us ��

Let's face it buying young players isn't really the palace style, we like overpaid journeyman. When was the last time we brought in a young talented player and it actually worked out? Probably Ward and that's about it.

Little Fozzie 23-06-2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockles (Post 14798585)
So because Glenn Murray is a great player, so must be Riedewald, is that what you're saying?

I'm saying that football fans in general aren't exactly great judges of talent. And going from your post and the conclusion you've somehow managed to come to, the reason for that could be that they're a bit thick.

cockles 23-06-2019 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Fozzie (Post 14798650)
I'm saying that football fans in general aren't exactly great judges of talent. And going from your post and the conclusion you've somehow managed to come to, the reason for that could be that they're a bit thick.

Alternatively starting a sentence with "And" and labelling a sentence ending with "?" a 'Conclusion' could be the symptoms which you allude to.

Jughead 23-06-2019 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gollum (Post 14798452)
Ray Lewington was at a Q&A event a few months ago. Was asked about Riedewald.
He said that he and Roy only really saw Riedewald as a defensive midfielder and only as cover for Luca. Careful with his words but the general gist was that he lacked intensity. Was quite clear that they felt he wasn't a defender.

They do have the right idea
I don't know why they didn't play him more though. We were often too negative with Kouyate playing alongside Luka.

wedgetail 23-06-2019 08:19 PM

He is just not good enough, no major failings just not enough of any attribute.

Eagle Kneevil 23-06-2019 09:12 PM

Thought he suffered from the utility tag. No one seems to know his best position.

Lprkorngod 23-06-2019 09:36 PM

Blah, been an absolute waste of £10M, never looked good enough for the prem, doesn't even look good enough for the U23 from the games I've seen.

fair enough, was a tough first season and was a FdB signings, but warning signs at the start of last season with all that "Riedewald has requested a fan fit shirt rather than player fit" and as stated comments from Bright/Ray haven't exactly been favorable

The lad is probably on circa 55K/wk similar to players like Luka/Schlupp/PvA who actually contribute to the team.

The12thman 23-06-2019 10:15 PM

I canít put my finger on it but donít think heís the right fit for our team. He must be a bit talented to have played for Ajax and worked his way through the ranks to get in the Dutch national team at that time but somethings not right.

However, despite seeming promising, itís all gone a bit wrong and he may be suffering from lack of confidence, perhaps also canít be assed/become a-bit casual, rather than pushing himself to get in the first team reckoning and is happy to stroll about and pick up his wages.

Lewington said he doesnít do enough off the ball in the under 23s and off the ball isnít busy enough.

I donít think heíll ever make it here and will be sold on for £5m or so in the next season or so and is another weíll take a hit on sadly.

Ian Hart 23-06-2019 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glaziers fan (Post 14798420)
Interesting. I think he should be converted back to centre half. Not sure he is good enough at defending for that position but harsh to write him off after a mailing against one of the most aerially dominant centre forwards the Premier League has seen in recent times (Mounie). Squad centre back he might be worth persevering with. Left footed and an excellent passer, if he can defend competently enough he might be useful cover for Sakho.

De Boer clearly had a view as to how he wanted the team to play, with three central defenders who can launch attacks out of defence. So for that first match he picked Jairo and Fosu-Mensah to play together (alongside Dann). All very fine in theory, and no doubt it has worked in Holland, where the type of football played in their first division is entirely different to our own.

What he didn't understand was that Jairo (and Fosu-Mensah) will never be strong enough to play in the centre of a defence in the English Prem, where they meet a more physical and aggressive style of forward. He learned it after the first match and never played either of them in that position again - Jairo was retained, but played as a full back.

Jairo does pass the pall intelligently, and there may be a position he can fill in time. But it will never be in the back four

KP'S Nuts 23-06-2019 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Hart (Post 14798853)
De Boer clearly had a view as to how he wanted the team to play, with three central defenders who can launch attacks out of defence. So for that first match he picked Jairo and Fosu-Mensah to play together (alongside Dann). All very fine in theory, and no doubt it has worked in Holland, where the type of football played in their first division is entirely different to our own.

What he didn't understand was that Jairo (and Fosu-Mensah) will never be strong enough to play in the centre of a defence in the English Prem, where they meet a more physical and aggressive style of forward. He learned it after the first match and never played either of them in that position again - Jairo was retained, but played as a full back.

Jairo does pass the pall intelligently, and there may be a position he can fill in time. But it will never be in the back four

And fosu-Mensah was voted the worst signing (be it onloan) by Fulham fans in a relegated team so not a great help for anyone just starting out in the prem.

MonsterMunch 24-06-2019 08:05 AM

In fairness to Jairo from day one its not worked for him. Poor lad was getting booed on his debut against Huddersfield. Probably more so his continual backwards passes but anyway must have thought what the hells going on. Has looked average to me. Steady but not strong enough and no real drive. I feel for him a bit, as much as you can for a premier league footballer as he just has not been given a fair crack. He didnt make a single PL appearance last season. Theres either more to it or hes just another Sorloth. Not good enough for the premier league.

mushroom 24-06-2019 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The12thman (Post 14798848)
I canít put my finger on it but donít think heís the right fit for our team. He must be a bit talented to have played for Ajax and worked his way through the ranks to get in the Dutch national team at that time but somethings not right.

However, despite seeming promising, itís all gone a bit wrong and he may be suffering from lack of confidence, perhaps also canít be assed/become a-bit casual, rather than pushing himself to get in the first team reckoning and is happy to stroll about and pick up his wages.

Lewington said he doesnít do enough off the ball in the under 23s and off the ball isnít busy enough.

I donít think heíll ever make it here and will be sold on for £5m or so in the next season or so and is another weíll take a hit on sadly.

He wants to be a quarterback style def midfielder. RH likes his players to work hard, with and without the ball, JR wonít or canít put in the dirty side of the game. I hope he sorts himself out... because if he can become more dynamic... there is defo a player in there.

PauLo 24-06-2019 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Fozzie (Post 14798650)

:D Must spread rep...

IronMaidenCPFC 24-06-2019 08:18 AM

presume he will be playing most pre season matches so will be interesting to see how he plays when given minutes (They wouldn't risk a player not being match fit)

BillyTKid 24-06-2019 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMaidenCPFC (Post 14798936)
presume he will be playing most pre season matches so will be interesting to see how he plays when given minutes (They wouldn't risk a player not being match fit)

I think the condition he comes back in and the intensity of his play in pre season will tell us a lot about the player. He definitely canít afford a repeat of last season. Not a single league appearance is throwing his career away.

prizesucker 24-06-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMaidenCPFC (Post 14798936)

Not if he signs for Besiktas (or a.n.other) before then...it is pretty clear the club wants him to leave as the managerial staff do not rate him.

Percy Dalton 24-06-2019 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon_C-Pal (Post 14798623)
Let's face it buying young players isn't really the palace style, we like overpaid journeyman. When was the last time we brought in a young talented player and it actually worked out? Probably Ward and that's about it.

Max Myer has been very good addition to the squad and will blossom in the coming season.

Its a simple fact that to establish ourselves as long term members of the premier league we have had to lean towards experienced players to achieve our long term aims. However as time progresses we can take a few more chances not only on young players coming to the club, but academy players stepping up as well. IMHO the club has gone about the last 6 seasons very well overall.