CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

Kai 09-01-2018 05:46 AM

Did okay in a sense but loses the ball too easily. He also needs to come forwards more

Stockport_Eagle 09-01-2018 06:11 AM

Reminds me of Leigertwood

MasterYoda 09-01-2018 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stockport_Eagle (Post 14042084)
Reminds me of Leigertwood

You know Iíd say heís almost the opposite.

One was a physical specimen but had very little football ability. The other is named Jairo

Happy Arthur 09-01-2018 07:28 AM

Played well against man city, played rubbish last night. Football is so confusing sometimes.

Zohar's Penalty 09-01-2018 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red&blue_moomin (Post 14042003)
He's 21. Two or three seasons in the UK and he'll be alright. You can bulk a player up and make them stronger especially one that's young but ability on the ball and being a decent passer of it that you can't train into them only refine.

Agree 100% but we havenít got the luxury of time, weíve got 4 months to scrap our way out of shit.

Northern_palace 09-01-2018 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterYoda (Post 14042135)
You know Iíd say heís almost the opposite.

One was a physical specimen but had very little football ability. The other is named Jairo

Spot on about liegertwood, physically he was a colossus but his ball dostrubution was terrible. If heíd been good on the ball he would have been an awesome player. I still donít think Iíll ever quite get over the free kick at the valley he gave away.

Nostrils 09-01-2018 08:05 AM

When he's in midfield I think he has to play alongside a somebody like a Milivojevic or Jedinak type player. He may be defensive minded, but he seems more centre mid than defensive to me, he's not quite strong enough just yet and still learning the ropes in this league.

Braders 09-01-2018 08:19 AM

Doesn't seem to have any outstanding attributes and is definitely too small. Add to that a lack of pace and on first glance it appears a waste of money. Hopefully he comes good in time.

PauLo 09-01-2018 08:53 AM

Thought he did quite well. He's clearly still learning about the league and you only do that by playing. There's definitely a player there.

EmmerGreenEagle 09-01-2018 08:58 AM

Thought he did well. Good passing and we were playing a weakened team.

Billyd 09-01-2018 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Arthur (Post 14042139)
Played well against man city, played rubbish last night. Football is so confusing sometimes.

Man City are a technical side that pass the ball it suited him better.

Yesterday he needed to get stuck in and fight for every ball and 50/50 but wasn't up for it.

MonsterMunch 09-01-2018 09:48 AM

He is a good, technical player. Get the feeling he could be a Campana for us though.

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o 09-01-2018 10:38 AM

He tired badly in last 10-15 mins..until then He'd done well I thought. Two mistakes in that period proved costly.
He has hardly played and a lot was expected of him.
So give the lad a break. We're gonna need him and he will need our support.

Martin H 09-01-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonsterMunch (Post 14042348)
He is a good, technical player. Get the feeling he could be a Campana for us though.

Already way better than Campana was for us.

aj4england 09-01-2018 12:47 PM

Lacks a yard of pace and is poor in the air. Passing can be good but also seemed rushed. Sounds just like the kind of midfielders we buy.

Lombardo's hair 09-01-2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zohar's Penalty (Post 14042144)
Agree 100% but we havenít got the luxury of time, weíve got 4 months to scrap our way out of shit.

You have encapsulated the problem with English football. We do not cultivate young talent....and yes I know he is Dutch....clubs look for "finished article" . Rashford would most likely still be in u23s or out on loan had united not had a striker crisis and he hasn't scored a few goals early on. He isn't so prolific now though. We dismiss youth too soon. They should only be judged on a run of games not one here one there. KaiKai has been criticised for lazt night for not getting in not the box on a couple of occasions Actually the person to criticise is Sako and I think PVA. The former having scored rampages down left KaiKai is clearly and unmarked in the middle of penalty area dropping off cbs but sako decided to fire in a shot from tight angle. The same thing happened a few minutes later. A simple pull back to KaiKai in space. Had his team mates been more aware we could have been hailing him as a legend. Had KaiKai been playing for united he'd probably had a brace of goals to his name

Stavros 69 09-01-2018 01:38 PM

He’s barely played in months then we throw him in against city and then an awful team at Brighton, what are people expecting. He’ll come good.

mcmean 09-01-2018 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braders (Post 14042202)
Doesn't seem to have any outstanding attributes and is definitely too small. Add to that a lack of pace and on first glance it appears a waste of money. Hopefully he comes good in time.

I take it you've only even seen him on TV and not at live game - he ain't small!

He's a least 6ft and is very broad

El Aguila 09-01-2018 02:00 PM

We should play him more often than we do, good footballer.

CP-RJW 13-01-2018 09:47 PM

I’ve got high hopes for Jairo. Not an outstanding performance today like against City, but a very comfortable one, and some nice passing which is something our team often lacks. Anyway, to look this comfortable in the premier league at 21 years old means he’s got a bright future ahead of him if managed well, and could become a top top player. Thanks FDB :hi:

CP-RJW 13-01-2018 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostrils (Post 14042177)
When he's in midfield I think he has to play alongside a somebody like a Milivojevic or Jedinak type player. He may be defensive minded, but he seems more centre mid than defensive to me, he's not quite strong enough just yet and still learning the ropes in this league.

This for me, having Luka alongside Jairo clearly compliments him well. Feel he struggled against Brighton due to the lack of steel alongside him in midfield.

Mr Palace 13-01-2018 10:15 PM

Thought he was ok today. Tidy player.

Sydenham Eagle 13-01-2018 10:22 PM

Let’s be honest, anyone in our midfield looks a better player when Luka is alongside them. Great signing who looked the part from the moment he pulled on a Palace shirt. Would be great to find another couple of players of his quality. At £13m in today’s market he’s an absolute bargain.

red&blue_moomin 13-01-2018 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sydenham Eagle (Post 14052543)
Letís be honest, anyone in our midfield looks a better player when Luka is alongside them. Great signing who looked the part from the moment he pulled on a Palace shirt. Would be great to find another couple of players of his quality. At £13m in todayís market heís an absolute bargain.

He's a damn sight more useful than Mutch or Lee or even Joniesta and he's 21 and has played hardly any games for us.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 13-01-2018 10:49 PM

He was diligent and disciplined today. Certainly does look better in a midfield role.

CharlieCPFC 13-01-2018 10:55 PM

He reads the game very well, he'll develop significantly as he gets more familiar with the pace of the premier league and improves physically too.

Has massive potential.

Joe.L 13-01-2018 11:22 PM

Agreed. Apart from the Huddersfield game he has shown glimpses of potential and it's great he is now getting a chance to show off his talent properly. Maybe not yet ready for a regular starting place but definitely a vital member of the 25 man squad.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE 13-01-2018 11:30 PM

Does Reidewald look like he's bulked up to anyone else?

Jim Cannon 13-01-2018 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE (Post 14052680)

Looked like it today to be fair

SOUTHGATE EAGLE 13-01-2018 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cannon (Post 14052689)
Looked like it today to be fair

If he can build some muscle he could be a genuine asset as a DM as well. Starting to look like FDB has at least some legacy to his 77 days.

Hedgehog 13-01-2018 11:54 PM

Quote:

I think he wears really baggy shirts. Not sure where he would get them, but he never looks so "big" in the training gear.

glenn.f 14-01-2018 12:05 AM

He does fill gaps pretty well but lacks a little bit of steel and physical strength but the tools are definitely there to perform regularly for us. It is a shame that he probably won't get a couple of years alongside Cabaye to learn his craft a bit more because when you watch Yohan on the ball, making space for himself to receive the ball, getting stuck in or being creative, i get the impression that Jairo could go on and produce similar performances for us in the long term.
It's good for the lad that Roy is also beginning to trust him a bit more now as well, so perhaps it's time for the doubters to follow suit after this game and more so the Man City game.

Dedders 14-01-2018 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenn.f (Post 14052744)
He does fill gaps pretty well but lacks a little bit of steel and physical strength but the tools are definitely there to perform regularly for us. It is a shame that he probably won't get a couple of years alongside Cabaye to learn his craft a bit more because when you watch Yohan on the ball, making space for himself to receive the ball, getting stuck in or being creative, i get the impression that Jairo could go on and produce similar performances for us in the long term.
It's good for the lad that Roy is also beginning to trust him a bit more now as well, so perhaps it's time for the doubters to follow suit after this game and more so the Man City game.

I havenít seen much evidence that Jairo has got Cabayeís passing ability
Happy to be proved wrong though

glenn.f 14-01-2018 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dedders (Post 14052776)

Possibly the ten year odd difference between them but there are definite signs in his one touch short passing. There's only been the odd longer pass in his few games but with a run of appearances and gaining more confidence will probably see more evidence of that you would hope.

red&blue_moomin 14-01-2018 01:52 AM

Quote:

Hes dropped a few perfectly weighted pinpoint diagonals and balls deep

NickinOx 14-01-2018 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red&blue_moomin (Post 14052854)
Hes dropped a few perfectly weighted pinpoint diagonals and balls deep

Spot on. One to Zaha in the first half was sublime.

Palacebear 14-01-2018 07:03 AM

Quote:

It did look like it & if that is the case, it should certainly help him in games against the likes of wba, stoke, Bournemouth etc.

After the poor start to his palace career, it is great to see him back in the 1st team squad and playing well.

Mr Palace 14-01-2018 07:06 AM

He's a good option in midfield - played well. Good to see him played in his best position rather than at CB.

Reg_Maudling 14-01-2018 11:40 PM

Roys' quotes about Riedewald on FYP are spot on:

https://www.fypfanzine.uk/news/6891-...crystal-palace

Martin H 15-01-2018 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reg_Maudling (Post 14054994)
Roys' quotes about Riedewald on FYP are spot on:

https://www.fypfanzine.uk/news/6891-...crystal-palace

Yep and good to see he passed the test against Burnley and that Roy rates him. For his age, arriving in a new country and being thrown into the Premier League is a tough ask but he really does look good already. He is very composed and mature and picks his passes intelligently. When everyone gets on the same wavelength I think we will see even more from him.

I think perhaps because they have come into the club rather than through the youth system how impressive RLC, JR and TFM have been bearing in mind none of them are old enough to be named in the 25. I know 2 of them are likely to go back to their clubs but we really should enjoy and celebrate them a bit more I reckon. Besides, if we make a fuss of them, maybe they might stay :)

It does also point out the gap between these players and our own youth of recent years. The 3 are ready to compete in the Premier League but we haven't had any through our own system since Wilf and Clyne. There is a better tranche coming through now and hopefully some of these will make it.but for now let's enjoy these youngsters.

Flat Noodle 15-01-2018 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sydenham Eagle (Post 14052543)
Letís be honest, anyone in our midfield looks a better player when Luka is alongside them. Great signing who looked the part from the moment he pulled on a Palace shirt. Would be great to find another couple of players of his quality. At £13m in todayís market heís an absolute bargain.

£7m according to the article above.

Lombardo's hair 15-01-2018 12:20 AM

Quote:

Sorry to disagree. He has a eye for a pass. He has made some white sublime ones. He's a tidy played.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 15-01-2018 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flat Noodle (Post 14055014)
£7m according to the article above.

Luka? I think he is talking about Luka

Hector 15-01-2018 10:18 AM

Jairo looks to be improving with every game, he is still some way from being a regular starter when all are fit. He can see a pass when given time but the trick is to do it under pressure like Cabaye. Things looking brighter and next season he could be a good player.

glaziers fan 15-01-2018 10:36 AM

Nice squad player. £7m is peanuts these days.

Timbo 15-01-2018 10:56 AM

I haven't noticed much quality yet but haven't really checked him and glad to hear some positive reviews

MonsterMunch 15-01-2018 11:13 AM

Agree, very comfortable on the ball and very aware of the spaces around him. Don't think he has shown quite the physical side Roy has mentioned but never the less a very good player as you would expect coming from Ajax set up.

Little Fozzie 15-01-2018 12:23 PM

Guessing the divs who wrote him off after a few games have gone quiet. Won't stop them doing it again with the next new signing.

I think people still forget he is only 20 and still learning and developing. If one of our academy guys came through playing like him we'd be going mental.

He's only going to get better. If Cabaye is offski at the end of the season then I'd rather we keep Jairo in the middle for the majority of games left this season.

Pub Idol 15-01-2018 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Fozzie (Post 14055703)
Guessing the divs who wrote him off after a few games have gone quiet. Won't stop them doing it again with the next new signing.

I think people still forget he is only 20 and still learning and developing. If one of our academy guys came through playing like him we'd be going mental.

He's only going to get better. If Cabaye is offski at the end of the season then I'd rather we keep Jairo in the middle for the majority of games left this season.

Not me. I said at the time that he was midfield player and that a new manager probably Roy Hodgson would bring him back for the Man City game and he would have a stormer. Glad I was right back in August on that!

UncleAlbert 16-01-2018 10:56 AM

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.cro...-8-1063972.amp

Hodgson full of praise.

SussexRed&Blue 16-01-2018 11:23 AM

Makes you wonder whether Jairo has been on the weights looks quite stocky. Maybe needed that extra strength and physicality in the midfield.

Quality footballer looks the part and very calm under pressure good football brain and picks his passes well with accuracy.

Chief Brody 16-01-2018 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo (Post 14055485)
I haven't noticed much quality yet but haven't really checked him....

Great insight and logic.

jaspercpfc 16-01-2018 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Fozzie (Post 14055703)

he must be mentally tougher than some give him credit for. The fallout from De Boer's departure must have been massive for the lad. He kept his head down, seems popular with many of the players and waited for another opportunity. It's clear he's bulked up in the few months he was absent. Too many were writing him off without having actively seen him play more than 90 mins. He's given us another outlet, and good luck to him.

CP-RJW 06-04-2018 10:51 AM

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 10-05-2018 10:56 PM

Very noticeable by his absence recently. Anyone know if he is injured? Or is he just completely out of favour?

Do we think he has a future at the club?

CP-RJW 10-05-2018 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 14252358)
Very noticeable by his absence recently. Anyone know if he is injured? Or is he just completely out of favour?

Do we think he has a future at the club?

Who knows if Hodgson fancies him? I rate Jairo though.

Kirby 10-05-2018 11:04 PM

He'll be playing abroad by August IMO.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 10-05-2018 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirby (Post 14252369)
He'll be playing abroad by August IMO.

Wouldn't surprise me at all but do we know if he is fit or just dropped from the team and bench?

Gollum 10-05-2018 11:15 PM

He's fit. Just lost his place on the bench so Roy could accommodate the returning Schlupp.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 10-05-2018 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gollum (Post 14252377)
He's fit. Just lost his place on the bench so Roy could accommodate the returning Schlupp.

Suspected that might be the case, the fact Lee (surely about to be let go) is on the bench ahead of him doesn't suggest Roy has Jairo in his plans then.

Latvian Eagle 10-05-2018 11:46 PM

He's just an average footballer brought in by a really shit manager. He's too short to play Centre Back. He doesn't have the pace or positional awareness to play Left Back effectively, and again his lack of height / physicality really limits him in a defensive midfield position. I think it's best to move him on if we get a decent price and stop wasting everybody's time personally. It's been very clear unless we are absolutely desperate that Roy won't use him even when holding a lead late in games.

carter 10-05-2018 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle (Post 14252392)
He's just an average footballer brought in by a really shit manager. He's too short to play Centre Back. He doesn't have the pace or positional awareness to play Left Back effectively, and again his lack of height / physicality really limits him in a defensive midfield position. I think it's best to move him on if we get a decent price and stop wasting everybody's time personally. It's been very clear unless we are absolutely desperate that Roy won't use him even when holding a lead late in games.

You make him out to be cotton wool. Lack of height to be a midfielder? He’s taller than Cabaye and McArthur. Physicality comes down to gym which is easy to correct. He has a good football brain which is eveident by the way he reads the game. He’s good at intercepting the ball more than he is tackling which shows he has it upstairs. Also good technically. He could become a decent midfielder. Just because a shit manager bought him it doesn’t make him average. Loftus-Cheek and Fosu-Mensah were decent signings by the same shit manager.

Didn’t do too badly against De Bruyne, Fernandinho and Silva at Selhurst :rolleyes: it’s the guys first season in this league with an awful start to his career at Palace with FdB getting sacked

Latvian Eagle 10-05-2018 11:57 PM

I agree with Kirby. I'd be surprised if he is still here come the close of the next transfer window. He had one good game when the whole team performed out of their skin against Man City. Doesn't suddenly make him a World beater.

I trust the fact Roy has seldom used him as more of an indicator of his ability / fit for the team over the fact you feel he's a little hard done by. ;)

Martin H 11-05-2018 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carter (Post 14252398)
You make him out to be cotton wool. Lack of height to be a midfielder? Heís taller than Cabaye and McArthur. Physicality comes down to gym which is easy to correct. He has a good football brain which is eveident by the way he reads the game. Heís good at intercepting the ball more than he is tackling which shows he has it upstairs. Also good technically. He could become a decent midfielder. Just because a shit manager bought him it doesnít make him average. Loftus-Cheek and Fosu-Mensah were decent signings by the same shit manager.

Didnít do too badly against De Bruyne, Fernandinho and Silva at Selhurst :rolleyes: itís the guys first season in this league with an awful start to his career at Palace with FdB getting sacked

This.

MFBias 11-05-2018 12:07 AM

He is young and is decent, with so many players leaving itís not the best idea to sell players on top when this will be the largest squad overhaul in years. Not everyone is great in their first season. Ive seen flashes to see the potential of what he can be. He just needs a run in the team.

Latvian Eagle 11-05-2018 12:19 AM

We'll see.

averity 11-05-2018 12:23 AM

Would rather have him on the bench, than Delaney, mutch, lee

Riley 11-05-2018 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MFBias (Post 14252402)
He is young and is decent, with so many players leaving itís not the best idea to sell players on top when this will be the largest squad overhaul in years. Not everyone is great in their first season. Ive seen flashes to see the potential of what he can be. He just needs a run in the team.

This. Look at the situation he came into as well.

Roy has said he rates him - Iím looking forward to seeing him develop. Heís 21 FFS.

Neil 154 11-05-2018 06:15 AM

I predict he'll never make it in the first team. He's anonymous as a player and Hodgson clearly not interested. He's rated by some on here for one performance against Man City. I cant think of a single thing he's done to impress other than that. What position does he play? If he's a defensive midfielder, compare him to Luca and you should be worried he's our back-up.

JackTheBiscuit 11-05-2018 06:36 AM

He is 21, adapting to a (completely) different league and the manager who signed him was sacked before he even had the chance to settle. Hasn’t overly impressed but equally other than a calamitous first game he hasn’t let us down.
Certainly would like to see him in a second season with an organised pre-season

beelsylegend 11-05-2018 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle (Post 14252399)
I agree with Kirby. I'd be surprised if he is still here come the close of the next transfer window. He had one good game when the whole team performed out of their skin against Man City. Doesn't suddenly make him a World beater.

I trust the fact Roy has seldom used him as more of an indicator of his ability / fit for the team over the fact you feel he's a little hard done by. ;)

And by the same token the fact that he's barely had a run of games doesn't make him shit and mean that we should give up on him. I personally think he could make a good replacement for Cabaye if he goes and should be given the chance.

917L 11-05-2018 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beelsylegend (Post 14252478)
And by the same token the fact that he's barely had a run of games doesn't make him shit and mean that we should give up on him. I personally think he could make a good replacement for Cabaye if he goes and should be given the chance.

He isn't anywhere near Cabayes level. Nor does he look likely to be

If he were our choice to replace Johan (if he leaves), we wouldn't be heading in the right direction

Thefunkymonk 11-05-2018 06:55 AM

The bloke is 21 years old and some of you are writing him off.. fools.

He is a very good young player.. and will turn into an excellent one.

Thefunkymonk 11-05-2018 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 917L (Post 14252483)
He isn't anywhere near Cabayes level. Nor does he look likely to be

If he were our choice to replace Johan (if he leaves), we wouldn't be heading in the right direction

Heís 21.. where was cabaye at 21

TWELLSEagle 11-05-2018 06:56 AM

I think heís talented and it would be very short sighted to move him on now. Heís young too

Thefunkymonk 11-05-2018 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackTheBiscuit (Post 14252477)
He is 21, adapting to a (completely) different league and the manager who signed him was sacked before he even had the chance to settle. Hasnít overly impressed but equally other than a calamitous first game he hasnít let us down.
Certainly would like to see him in a second season with an organised pre-season

Overly impressed!? He was outstanding against the best team in the country. Seriously what is wrong with you lot

917L 11-05-2018 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk (Post 14252493)
Heís 21.. where was cabaye at 21

In what way is that relevant to the post you quoted?

TWELLSEagle 11-05-2018 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk (Post 14252491)

Yep. This

917L 11-05-2018 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk (Post 14252491)

Probably the same 'fools' predicting Glenn Murray would do well this season, and would outscore Benteke, I recall the scorn you poured on that suggestion

And you state that he will turn into an excellent player, like its some kind of given

He's had one good game for us, but like TFM (who similarly had that one good game) neither are actually that good

JackTheBiscuit 11-05-2018 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk (Post 14252496)
Overly impressed!? He was outstanding against the best team in the country. Seriously what is wrong with you lot

Read everything that I said. Overall he hasn't overly impressed - one awful game when the team were a shambles and one very good game when the whole team were amazing. The other fleeting glimpses were OK

As I said, I'd like to see him in a second season with a full, settled pre-season behind him

What's wrong with that?

JackTheBiscuit 11-05-2018 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk (Post 14252496)

Coming from someone who said "Hodgson is a seriously shit appointment"

Nostrils 11-05-2018 07:13 AM

I don't know why anyone's surprised that he hasn't played that much since Hodgson came in. I don't think it has anything to do with his ability - Hodgson had already said at the beginning of his tenure that he needed experienced players to fight a relegation battle. Reidewald, being just 21 and coming from a much gentler league, playing in a new system in a position he's fairly new too was surely too much of a risk. He needed older, wiser experienced players that he knew were mentally strong enough for the task at hand.

There's a very good player in Jairo imo, and after a proper pre-season's training with less immediate pressure we will be in a better position to judge just how good he is. As far as I could see, his main fault was that he tended to dwell on the ball too long and lose a bit of focus at times. He probably would have got away with that in the Eredivisie, especially with the best players in it surrounding him. No such time in England though, but this is the sort of thing that can be easily coached, especially with the experience of Roy and Ray.

LuieJack 11-05-2018 07:24 AM

Unfortunately he was brought in mainly as a player suited to the way Frank de Boer era and the way he wanted to play, also coming from a club with the standing of Ajax made us all brimming with expectancy.
But the reality is under Roy Hodgson he has Not progressed, and in all honesty he has disappointed whenever chosen, maybe he just is NOT as good as we all had hoped for and needs to be moved on, also after nearly a whole season to have still not established himself is maybe telling us fans something that Roy has already realised.
Its a possibility he simply needs to go back to Dutch football which obviously suits his languid style better, a pity as i wanted to see him succeed at Palace.

Kai 11-05-2018 07:27 AM

I will be very surprised if he remains a Palace player but with all the other players leaving, keeping him on is probably the right thing to do.

No.16 11-05-2018 07:28 AM

If Joniesta played like he did versus City it would keep a small contingent on here frothing for another 2 years - see Wales vs Croatia...

I like what I've seen thus far.

CP-RJW 11-05-2018 07:47 AM

‘Disappointed whenever chosen?’ Can only recall four starts under Hodgson, an excellent performance vs Man City, a very good performance vs Burnley, and two average performances, vs Spurs and vs Brighton in the cup. He’s 21 years old, was brought in for 9 million (which is peanuts nowadays), and has had to deal with a new country, new league and the FDB debacle this season. Incredible that some are giving up on him already.

TWELLSEagle 11-05-2018 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuieJack (Post 14252532)
Unfortunately he was brought in mainly as a player suited to the way Frank de Boer era and the way he wanted to play, also coming from a club with the standing of Ajax made us all brimming with expectancy.
But the reality is under Roy Hodgson he has Not progressed, and in all honesty he has disappointed whenever chosen, maybe he just is NOT as good as we all had hoped for and needs to be moved on, also after nearly a whole season to have still not established himself is maybe telling us fans something that Roy has already realised.
Its a possibility he simply needs to go back to Dutch football which obviously suits his languid style better, a pity as i wanted to see him succeed at Palace.

Thatís not the reality though is it. The reality is he did progress a little under Hodgson but had limited game time. Jury still out

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o 11-05-2018 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostrils (Post 14252518)
I don't know why anyone's surprised that he hasn't played that much since Hodgson came in. I don't think it has anything to do with his ability - Hodgson had already said at the beginning of his tenure that he needed experienced players to fight a relegation battle. Reidewald, being just 21 and coming from a much gentler league, playing in a new system in a position he's fairly new too was surely too much of a risk. He needed older, wiser experienced players that he knew were mentally strong enough for the task at hand.

There's a very good player in Jairo imo, and after a proper pre-season's training with less immediate pressure we will be in a better position to judge just how good he is. As far as I could see, his main fault was that he tended to dwell on the ball too long and lose a bit of focus at times. He probably would have got away with that in the Eredivisie, especially with the best players in it surrounding him. No such time in England though, but this is the sort of thing that can be easily coached, especially with the experience of Roy and Ray.

Yep good post...I hope this is the case...'cos I think he's done very well when called upon, after the 'Uddderfield debacle that is.

cockles 11-05-2018 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWELLSEagle (Post 14252562)
Thatís not the reality though is it. The reality is he did progress a little under Hodgson but had limited game time. Jury still out

At last some balance in this thread. Some here act like he should be picked ahead of Cabaye or something.

He's just a wait and see player. Let our extremely experienced manager make the decision on when he plays or not.

Dave Hedgehog 11-05-2018 08:03 AM

Surprising how quickly Jairo has been written off by some. He's hardly played this season and has looked very tidy and assured whenever given time.

He's 21, cost very little, is on low wages, and can slot in anywhere across the back line or midfield. We'll need to keep hold of players like Jairo this summer, and he'll continue to develop under Roy.

wedgetail 11-05-2018 08:05 AM

He is not suitable for the role dB chose for him, I do see a however an acceptable midfielder, perhaps as a back up for Luka or an extra work horse when defending a lead. Not all the players in a squad can be first choice, if he were to be moved on we would need another squad player to replace him.

917L 11-05-2018 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Hedgehog (Post 14252573)
Surprising how quickly Jairo has been written off by some. He's hardly played this season and has looked very tidy and assured whenever given time.

He's 21, cost very little, is on low wages, and can slot in anywhere across the back line or midfield. We'll need to keep hold of players like Jairo this summer, and he'll continue to develop under Roy.

Err, he didn't cost very little at all, and you have no idea of his wages

Big Blue Eagle 11-05-2018 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Hedgehog (Post 14252573)

Not really surprising - the BBS can write off a player after a 5 minute end of game sub appearance....

Dave Hedgehog 11-05-2018 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 917L (Post 14252582)
Err, he didn't cost very little at all, and you have no idea of his wages

He cost £7.5m and is paid anywhere between £25-40k. Those are standard figures for a squad player in the top flight. And he has potential to improve, which would make that transfer fee look like a bargain.

It's grim that you're trying to write him off based on his association with de Boer when that's not the player's fault. He's hardly put a foot wrong when given the chance.

As somebody said above, not everybody needs to be first choice.

aj4england 11-05-2018 08:22 AM

Handy footballer, but not sure he, nor the staff know where his best position is.

Part of me thinks he would make a good Hayden Mullins like sweeper in a back 3.

Thefunkymonk 11-05-2018 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackTheBiscuit (Post 14252516)
Coming from someone who said "Hodgson is a seriously shit appointment"

I was wrong. I also actually suggested Roy before fdb but the manger merry go round fatigiengot to me. I was wrong, I was a twat.

But my point still stands

Tim 11-05-2018 08:30 AM

Love the job that Roy’s done this season but he’s quite rigid in his squad selection. It’s going to be tough for players like Riedewald & AWB to get games next season, especially if we strengthen in the Summer & Roy gets the chance to bring in the players that he wants..

If he doesn’t play then it’s tough to showcase his talent. That’s the quandary for all young players coming through..

Thefunkymonk 11-05-2018 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 917L (Post 14252502)
Probably the same 'fools' predicting Glenn Murray would do well this season, and would outscore Benteke, I recall the scorn you poured on that suggestion

And you state that he will turn into an excellent player, like its some kind of given

He's had one good game for us, but like TFM (who similarly had that one good game) neither are actually that good

I disagree with one good game. Ok muzza and Brighton did better then expected..

I think he will.. you are writing him off based on what? Every time heís played heís generally played well and in the case of the city (and Burnley) games very very well.

The writing him off this early is foolish, he is a good player based on his limited performances.. and potentially an excellent player.

Likewise you are writing him off like itís some sort of given heíll be shit.

winners 11-05-2018 08:33 AM

If he came from the youth team, as a 21 year old, and performed in the games he has played, the way he has, everyone would be excited....I think he needs to tone up, he seems a bit 'bulky' for a midfielder, but as a 21 year old, his body is still growing/changing, and I think it was mentioned, that he was left out of the squad earlier in the season for that reason.

ebyeeckeagle 11-05-2018 08:35 AM

He's 21? Some players are close to their peak at that age. The large majority though are nowhere near and have a lot to learn.

Shame to write such young players off. When did we stop giving players a little bit of time, particular those settling into a new country at such a difficult time? (Someone will now point out I have got the age wrong and this will look very stupid).