CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

CPFCalifornia 30-07-2018 03:22 AM

I like him. He needs to have an Andros Townsend come-to-Jesus moment.

MFBias 30-07-2018 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 14358035)
Yep, I accept that but I guess you also have wonder why Roy was so reluctant to use him even as a sub in games last season. In fact he wasn't even making the bench towards the season's end.

You have said this before and itís not even true: http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showpost....postcount=1099

He was on the bench 8 times out of the last 10 games getting on the pitch three times aswell so not sure your statement is true. (two games he missed were in a row so whos know if he had a knock or not)

MFBias 30-07-2018 06:02 AM

Ive just seen ykur over posts regarding this and dont really know what your point is that a squad player didnt make the bench for two of the last 3 games. It doesnt tell me he is not good enough, it only tells me he wasnt selected for 2 of the last 3 games. Yes Loftus-Cheek came back and yes he got less game time after that, but again what does that tell you, that Loftus-Cheek was preferred in midfield... no shit.

LuieJack 30-07-2018 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigend1 (Post 14357677)
Fdb signed him as a cb and he was awful

Ajax fans laughed at how much we paid for him

I hope he makes it here, Iíve been increasingly impressed through preseason and think he has got potential but certainly not as first choice this season.

We paid way way over the odds for someone that wasnít good enough for what he was bought for. Happily it looks like we might get him better in another position. Iím not sure sucking franks cock is really needed for this

He was basically signed as a utility player that could play as a ball playing CB which is the system FDB was trying to adapt for his new setup, to say he was awful is silly especially based on maybe Two games in that position.
He joined Palace probably only due to FDB, and then to see him sacked after 4 games and the club in turmoil is it any wonder we never saw his true capabilities, but he is still work in progress even if he impresses for now in pre season we need to be patient. Personally i feel his best position in time will be what was an old fashioned "sweeper" now a sitting midfielder in front of the Back Four.
You suggested we paid way over the odds? seriously, £9m for a full Dutch Int from Ajax, and as for their fans statement that happens whenever a player leaves loved one minute hated the next when leaving.
Finally, that's a very strange last paragraph statement to make.:confused:

mushroom 30-07-2018 07:08 AM

He certainly has potential. Needs to be more nimble/dynamic to play def mid... in the last 20 mins v Oxford... their attacking midfielder turned him way too easily (a couple of times). Cabaye was excellent at reading the game, he was brilliant at interceptions... he also had a bit of a nasty side... which is useful.

BillyTKid 30-07-2018 07:27 AM

He has the tools and a manager that is the best in the business at drilling shape. We will need patience though as he is young and won’t be as good as Cabaye for a few years.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 30-07-2018 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MFBias (Post 14358478)
Ive just seen ykur over posts regarding this and dont really know what your point is that a squad player didnt make the bench for two of the last 3 games. It doesnt tell me he is not good enough, it only tells me he wasnt selected for 2 of the last 3 games. Yes Loftus-Cheek came back and yes he got less game time after that, but again what does that tell you, that Loftus-Cheek was preferred in midfield... no shit.

My point is simply that I am not sure how much Roy rated him at that point in time. Whether that has changed now or not, we'll see. He has had an encouraging pre-season so of course that might have changed. But of course he has had little choice but to use him more with Cabaye's departure and we haven't played PL standard sides either. Anyway, time will tell where he stands now.

If anyone reads my posts on here fully they will see that I am just unconvinced about him at the moment. He may well come good and have been saying so all along. I have never slagged him off or said he is rubbish just that his performances so far haven't convinced me. And even after that performance against Man City he wasn't picked very often.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 30-07-2018 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MFBias (Post 14358467)
You have said this before and itís not even true: http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showpost....postcount=1099

He was on the bench 8 times out of the last 10 games getting on the pitch three times aswell so not sure your statement is true. (two games he missed were in a row so whos know if he had a knock or not)

Re. him having a knock, he could have you are right but to my knowledge/ memory he was fit. And as I said before I was NOT saying he was completely left out for lots of games, just that it did happen. Maybe if I had said 'at times' it would have been clearer. But it is true just as your stats about how many times he was on the bench are too.

Celestial Empire 30-07-2018 09:41 AM

Jairo is 21 (going on 22) and plays in a defensive/transition position where experience is important. RH has usually been conservative and likes experienced pros, so would have used Jairo sparingly. But, as with AWB (and RLC), good players will soon force themselves into the reckoning.

Stavros 69 30-07-2018 09:46 AM

He was singed as one of the hottest prospects in Holland by FdB.
8 games in FdB has gone and a young kid who was expecting to play a lot is suddenly in a foreign country with a new manager. He’s going to need sometime to bed in.
He was an Ajax starter ffs. Give him some time and a chance. We’ve all seen glimses of what he can do.

Palacebear 30-07-2018 10:25 AM

We have to give the boy a chance and I think Roy will. I expect to see him involved a lot more this season. Hopefully he can show some more performances like the M City one and grow in confidence to become a first team regular, as trying to buy first team ready players will cost tens of £mís in the current climate.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 30-07-2018 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 14358703)
8 games in FdB has gone and a young kid who was expecting to play a lot is suddenly in a foreign country with a new manager. Heís going to need sometime to bed in.
He was an Ajax starter ffs. Give him some time and a chance. Weíve all seen glimses of what he can do.

I completely agree and don't see anyone who isn't giving time and a chance.

Reg_Maudling 30-07-2018 10:35 AM

I hope jairo can make a contribution this year after a season adjusting but he is not cabaye's replacement and may never be as good

CP-RJW 30-07-2018 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reg_Maudling (Post 14358760)
I hope jairo can make a contribution this year after a season adjusting but he is not cabaye's replacement and may never be as good

Or rather, he’ll never be a Cabaye replacement because they’re quite different players.

Palacebear 30-07-2018 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reg_Maudling (Post 14358760)

Could you imagine trying to buy a French international midfielder in the current transfer market?!?!

CP-RJW 30-07-2018 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palacebear (Post 14358823)
Could you imagine trying to buy a French international midfielder in the current transfer market?!?!

France are 5x the team now than they were when Cabaye was getting games to be fair.

MFBias 30-07-2018 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 14358703)
8 games in FdB has gone and a young kid who was expecting to play a lot is suddenly in a foreign country with a new manager. Heís going to need sometime to bed in.
He was an Ajax starter ffs. Give him some time and a chance. Weíve all seen glimses of what he can do.

de Boer was sacked after 5 games, 4 League and 1 Cup.

Palacebear 30-07-2018 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14358828)
France are 5x the team now than they were when Cabaye was getting games to be fair.

Agreed and transfer fees are 5x what they were when cabaye signed.

The French have some group of players at the moment.

Stan the man 30-07-2018 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigend1 (Post 14357677)
Iím not sure sucking franks cock is really needed for this

https://i.gifer.com/Fheb.gif

Stavros 69 30-07-2018 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MFBias (Post 14358860)
de Boer was sacked after 5 games, 4 League and 1 Cup.

:hmph:

orp pisshead1 30-07-2018 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroom (Post 14358512)
He certainly has potential. Needs to be more nimble/dynamic to play def mid... in the last 20 mins v Oxford... their attacking midfielder turned him way too easily (a couple of times). Cabaye was excellent at reading the game, he was brilliant at interceptions... he also had a bit of a nasty side... which is useful.

And vastly more experienced :D. Give the kid a chance as thereís serious potential there imo. Touch of Andy Roberts about him.

Payroll Legend 30-07-2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orp pisshead1 (Post 14359181)
And vastly more experienced :D. Give the kid a chance as thereís serious potential there imo. Touch of Andy Roberts about him.

Yeah I can see the Andy Roberts comparison. Hopefully a bit more pace though!

smileysmith 30-07-2018 03:43 PM

He's looked bloody good to me when we've seen him.

He also seems to have impressed Hodgson.

Quote:

“He has done well, right from the off it was clear he was a very skilful football player so it was a question of whether he would be able to match up to the rigours of the Premier League and the tactical demands that we as coaches make and for a long period of time now he has been doing that.

“He has not been in the team quite simply because the competition for places in that centre of midfield has been very strong but now with (Ruben) Loftus- Cheek out for a long period of time and we’ve lost Yohan Cabaye now so all of a sudden the situation has become better for him in the sense that the competition has weakened and he, during the time we have been working him, in my opinion has strengthened his candidature in all ways because he’s worked hard at his game and worked hard at what we are trying to do," reflected Hodgson when asked how he thought the 21 year old had progressed since making the move from Ajax.
https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/2018/mar...ith-riedewald/

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 01-08-2018 12:13 PM

Being linked with a move to Swansea in order for us to get Ayew.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...citys-14977429

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 01-08-2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileysmith (Post 14359198)
He's looked bloody good to me when we've seen him.

He also seems to have impressed Hodgson.

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/2018/mar...ith-riedewald/

Roy did say that but then he still rarely used him

Mr Palace 01-08-2018 12:17 PM

Good prospect but I don't think it would be a bad idea to loan him to a club like Swansea who play decent football and if we get someone like Ayew in return. We'll also hopefully be signing Meyer plus another midfielder so we'd have cover in midfield.

MFBias 01-08-2018 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 14362981)

You keep banging the same drum.

We had all our central midfielders fit until the end of the season.

red&blue_moomin 01-08-2018 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 14362981)

You've been repeatedly shown he was in the matchday squad bar two matches for the second half of the season and made it off the bench several times to shore the team up to close out matches.

Martin H 01-08-2018 01:14 PM

Still struggling to find our if this is a proposed Loan or a sale. I will be a bit gutted if it's a sale but at the same time the club has to shuffle the pack. I just think he could well be a force down the line although nothing is certain at this stage. The irony is that a couple of years back he was being talked of in glowing terms across Europe with Barca interested and Meyer apparently in similar terms.

917L 01-08-2018 01:16 PM

Jairo Riedewald discussion

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 14362979)
Being linked with a move to Swansea in order for us to get Ayew.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...citys-14977429

Iíd be happy with that kind of deal, assung we sign another midfielder as well

Excowboy 01-08-2018 01:19 PM

Worth remembering how difficult swap deals are. Jairo would have to want to go to Swansea and be able to agree terms etc.

MasterYoda 01-08-2018 03:40 PM

Hope this move isn't permy if it happens

Dave Hedgehog 01-08-2018 03:40 PM

I wouldn't let Jairo leave permanently just yet - lots more to come from him. But a loan that guarantees first team football makes sense for now. Especially if Swansea are trying to get back to their usual style of play, which should suit him.

Glɑzier 01-08-2018 04:02 PM

Yeah loan or call it off, I just don't feel it is worth it otherwise. Ayew won't even walk into the first team, he's not Meyer levels of quality + we need to stay young really.

Seaside Eagle 01-08-2018 04:03 PM

Ed Aarons reporting that he'll be leaving permanently

Danny boy 01-08-2018 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaside Eagle (Post 14363556)
Ed Malyon reporting that he'll be leaving permanently

Very poor move.

Old Joe Paxton 01-08-2018 04:03 PM

Disappointing

carter 01-08-2018 04:03 PM

That’s a mistake IMO. Shame

PauLo 01-08-2018 04:08 PM

Yeah, we may regret letting him leave permanently.

Glɑzier 01-08-2018 04:10 PM

Just had to wreck the Meyer high somehow. :wallbash:

Any word on buyback? (asking more in hope than expectation)

CP-RJW 01-08-2018 04:12 PM

Shame, but gonna make sacrifices if we’re really in such a limited financial spot. Bye Jairo, thanks for everything, hope you have a good career.

Malarkey 01-08-2018 04:12 PM

Trust in Roy.

dave_who_ru 01-08-2018 04:13 PM

Doesn't make sense to me. A 22 year old defensive midfielder for a 27 year old forward (both born in September). I think we are more in need of a versatile defender than a forward given our other options. That still means finding another defender.

CP-RJW 01-08-2018 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave_who_ru (Post 14363598)
Doesn't make sense to me. A 22 year old defensive midfielder for a 27 year old forward (both born in September). I think we are more in need of a versatile defender than a forward given our other options. That still means finding another defender.

We’ve got Kouyate, who’s best at centre back according to most spammers I’ve seen. That means Tomkins, Sakho, Kouyate, Kelly and Dann if he recovers okay at center back. Ward and Aaron at right back, PVA and Schlupp at left back. Really don’t see how we need any more defensive additions.

Neillo's Son 01-08-2018 04:15 PM

Jairo is on £60k a week, I don't know if Ayew will be coming in on less money but for the former, that is too much.

Would be disappointed to see him leave permanently though.

thomasbroad 01-08-2018 04:16 PM

See this as us rating Kirby higher than Jairo and not wanting to block his path

in-exile 01-08-2018 04:17 PM

Can only be a loan why would he go there.

Excowboy 01-08-2018 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave_who_ru (Post 14363598)

There's cover if we sign Kouyate. I'd be sad to see Riedewald go as it's nice to have young players coming through but it makes sense in terms of squad balance if we're signing Meyer too.

Glɑzier 01-08-2018 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14363602)
Weíve got Kouyate, whoís best at centre back according to most spammers Iíve seen. That means Tomkins, Sakho, Kouyate, Kelly and Dann if he recovers okay at center back. Ward and Aaron at right back, PVA and Schlupp at left back. Really donít see how we need any more defensive additions.

I'll admit I don't have much of a clue about Kouyate or Ayew, who only seems to turn up against us, but it just doesn't feel right. Maybe for nailed on 1st teamers but not otherwise.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 01-08-2018 04:21 PM

So as I was saying a few days ago that I wasn't convinced Roy rates Jairo that much, and this suggests so.

PauLo 01-08-2018 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomasbroad (Post 14363604)
See this as us rating Kirby higher than Jairo and not wanting to block his path

I like to hope so, but if Williams doesn't go out on loan and we get both Meyer and Kouyate, Kirby will be still be at least 6th in line for a midfield spot.

Dave Hedgehog 01-08-2018 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neillo's Son (Post 14363603)
Jairo is on £60k a week, I don't know if Ayew will be coming in on less money but for the former, that is too much.

Would be disappointed to see him leave permanently though.

Wow really? This says £40k and looks fairly accurate but may exclude bonuses:
https://sillyseason.com/salary/cryst...alaries-99595/

Goes to show how the Championship can be a money pit if you want to compete.

Mr Palace 01-08-2018 04:29 PM

Whoever sanctioned £60k is off their meds. I like him though and would prefer a loan but if it means getting better players in then needs must.

Dave Hedgehog 01-08-2018 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 14363623)
So as I was saying a few days ago that I wasn't convinced Roy rates Jairo that much, and this suggests so.

You might be right.

Odd that he was praising Jairo in the media up until quite recently. He also praised Chungy in the media towards the end of last season. Maybe that's clever man management/transfer strategy stuff.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 01-08-2018 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Hedgehog (Post 14363650)
You might be right.

Odd that he was praising Jairo in the media up until quite recently. He also praised Chungy in the media towards the end of last season. Maybe that's clever man management/transfer strategy stuff.

Yeah but he needed to compliment him just to give him confidence I guess, keep him feeling wanted but yes, also make other clubs hear good things about him (makes sense if you are looking to off-load the player). Also, after that praise he still rarely played him, even for a few minutes at the end of games.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 01-08-2018 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red&blue_moomin (Post 14363023)
You've been repeatedly shown he was in the matchday squad bar two matches for the second half of the season and made it off the bench several times to shore the team up to close out matches.

He wasn't used very much really - we all have different ideas of what being used much was - that's normal. I don't consider it very much, considering Roy often finished with the same side.
2 starts and 4 sub appearances in the final 5 months of the season isn't very much to me!

So Personally I don't think that showed he had much faith in him. His decision to move him on now and replace him with Kouyate suggests that was the case.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 01-08-2018 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MFBias (Post 14363005)
You keep banging the same drum.

We had all our central midfielders fit until the end of the season.

Yes and as I pointed out, Roy didn't use him much from the bench and for a couple of games even dropped him from the bench. So what's your point?

I thought that might suggest he didn't have much faith in Jairo, many others on here thought he did. Today's news suggests that he wants to replace him with Kouyate. And despite Jairo's potential to improve, personally I think it is a wise move as I haven't been convinced by him since day 1. But who knows, maybe he will move on and do really well at Swansea.

The12thman 01-08-2018 04:50 PM

I think he would do really well at Swansea.

dave_who_ru 01-08-2018 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Hedgehog (Post 14363636)
Wow really? This says £40k and looks fairly accurate but may exclude bonuses:
https://sillyseason.com/salary/cryst...alaries-99595/

Goes to show how the Championship can be a money pit if you want to compete.

I'm sure whoever is coming in will be on more than Jairo.

Maidstoned Eagle 01-08-2018 04:52 PM

Daft if True

philsick 01-08-2018 04:56 PM

Its insane. Jairo will be a far better player than ayew for the future. So short sighted.

Jasper 01-08-2018 04:56 PM

It will be a shame if he goes, but we knew that we might have to move on one or two. Jairo is quite far down the list of players that we wouldn't want to lose.

With Meyer & Kouyate coming in how much was he likely to play this season?

thereichstuff 01-08-2018 04:56 PM

Can I have his big shirt ?

GanbareWashi 01-08-2018 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thereichstuff (Post 14363729)
Can I have his big shirt ?

Would this count as a marquee leaving? Or the leaving of a marquee sized shirt?

SOUTHGATE EAGLE 01-08-2018 05:12 PM

Massive mistake. I think he's a future star. Would rather Ayew stayed at Swansea. Can't we ever just get a rose without losing some of the bloom?

BBK 01-08-2018 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Palace (Post 14363647)
Whoever sanctioned £60k is off their meds. I like him though and would prefer a loan but if it means getting better players in then needs must.

60k is plucked figure. He was at Ajax so was on nothing, why would we quadruple his wage. Complete BBS bs.

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o 01-08-2018 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philsick (Post 14363727)
Its insane. Jairo will be a far better player than ayew for the future. So short sighted.

Agreed ...this is ridiculous...I like Jairo and had high hopes for him...showed up really well pre season.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 01-08-2018 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o (Post 14363773)
Agreed ...this is ridiculous...I like Jairo and had high hopes for him...showed up really well pre season.

Against very poor sides. You can't draw many conclusions from pre-season games. Mutch had at least one excellent pre-season for us. I would rather have Kouyte personally, and that is who is replacing him (not Ayew).

He may well come good but I'm not sure he suits us or the Premier League.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 01-08-2018 05:21 PM

Quote:

But it is Kouyate who is taking Jairo's place not Ayew.

Excowboy 01-08-2018 05:22 PM

Quote:

I'd replace the word 'will' with 'could', which is why I think it's not a terrible move even though I'd prefer a loan switch.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 01-08-2018 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excowboy (Post 14363780)
I'd replace the word 'will' with 'could', which is why I think it's not a terrible move even though I'd prefer a loan switch.

This. Will and could are very different things.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 01-08-2018 05:28 PM

Sounds like Jairo may not be keen on the move anyway so may need some persuasion either from Swansea or us.

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o 01-08-2018 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 14363774)
Against very poor sides. You can't draw many conclusions from pre-season games. Mutch had at least one excellent pre-season for us. I would rather have Kouyte personally, and that is who is replacing him (not Ayew).

He may well come good but I'm not sure he suits us or the Premier League.

Dont agree..he is younger than Williams..and only a year older that AWB
He's still learning his trade...
And if we could only have one I'd have JR over JW right now.

cpfcfan1 01-08-2018 05:36 PM

He isn't Edgar David's, and has shown little of improving, if Roy dosent think he is good enough than he is a better judge of player than we are so be it.

LuieJack 01-08-2018 05:39 PM

Should we be surprised if JR was to leave? he was a FDB signing that never quite caught the eye of Roy, who obviously has a greater knowledge of the player than we fans have seeing him first hand on a regular basis. It maybe that Jairo may make it, but the reality is he was never going to break into the First team any time soon and our needs are Now, so we have to be pleased that he is being used in an exchange deal for a very decent player that will add far more to Palace than JR would currently.

AJ 01-08-2018 05:44 PM

We should remember that Jairo came in as a CB and was pitiful.

red&blue_moomin 01-08-2018 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ (Post 14363819)

He played once that doesn't tell us much. His last manager at Ajax seemed to think DM was his best position.

Actually I'm slightly concerned that some ITKs on here think Meyer is an AM and not a deep lying playmaker.

Reg_Maudling 01-08-2018 05:57 PM

I think Roy would know better than most whether riedewald could improve enough

thereichstuff 01-08-2018 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reg_Maudling (Post 14363847)

The crux .

Timbo 01-08-2018 06:10 PM

If he's earning $40k per week, let alone $60k pw, he aint worth it. That is not young player wages that is senior squad member money

red&blue_moomin 01-08-2018 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reg_Maudling (Post 14363847)

He's not infallible. Anybody remember that Roberto Carlos bloke. Roy thought he was shit.......yeah.

Carlos still hates Roy to this day and slagged him off only recently.

Nostrils 01-08-2018 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red&blue_moomin (Post 14363877)
He's not infallible. Anybody remember that Roberto Carlos bloke. Roy thought he was shit.......yeah.

Carlos still hates Roy to this day and slagged him off only recently.

WGAF?

Stavros 69 01-08-2018 06:16 PM

No issue with a loan so long as we have enough cover.
But to sell him is crazy.

red&blue_moomin 01-08-2018 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostrils (Post 14363880)
WGAF?

I'm purely pointing out Roy has dropped some proper clangers in the past in player assessment. He also dropped Wilf from internationals and is one of the reasons Wilf now plays for Ivory Coast, although he has admitted he messed that up.

Loaning him sure IF we get cover in sure. Selling him, oh dear someones going to clean up in about three seasons when he's 25.

srh 01-08-2018 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper (Post 14363728)
It will be a shame if he goes, but we knew that we might have to move on one or two. Jairo is quite far down the list of players that we wouldn't want to lose.

With Meyer & Kouyate coming in how much was he likely to play this season?

imo Meyer will play in the RLC role (left mid) which leaves Kouyate, Luca and Jimmy (who Roy like to play on the right). This leaves us very short in the centre of midfield because Puch is no where near good enough. If Kouyate or Luca or both were to get injured then we would be in a mess

Little Fozzie 01-08-2018 06:21 PM

I don't think Jairo leaving is really that bad. We have a ton of midfield cover and not too much on the wings, so it makes sense.

Personally I think it would be a shame to lose him as he's clearly got potential, but the move makes sense.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 01-08-2018 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 14363883)
No issue with a loan so long as we have enough cover.
But to sell him is crazy.

There's no way it's crazy. I understand some people disagreeing with it but it isn't crazy to replace a player who was on the fringes of the side with a proven premier league player like Kouyate.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 01-08-2018 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red&blue_moomin (Post 14363884)
I'm purely pointing out Roy has dropped some proper clangers in the past in player assessment. He also dropped Wilf from internationals and is one of the reasons Wilf now plays for Ivory Coast, although he has admitted he messed that up.

Loaning him sure IF we get cover in sure. Selling him, oh dear someones going to clean up in about three seasons when he's 25.

Re. Wilf, international selection is different as you are picking the team on the basis of how good they are at that point in time, not on the basis of what they might become.

But that doesn't change the fact most managers get some wrong as there often is very little way of knowing how players will delevop. However, I think it is still safe the say that Roy with all his knowledge, experience and seeing him train everyday is far more informed than any of us on here.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 01-08-2018 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srh (Post 14363889)
imo Meyer will play in the RLC role (left mid) which leaves Kouyate, Luca and Jimmy (who Roy like to play on the right). This leaves us very short in the centre of midfield because Puch is no where near good enough. If Kouyate or Luca or both were to get injured then we would be in a mess

I wonder if we may play more of 433 at times too. Using Townsend, Wilf and one other up top and Luka, Mayer and one of Jimmy and Kouyate in the middle.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 01-08-2018 06:30 PM

Quote:

He was indeed. A lot of the blame obviously goes to FDB but his awful selection but Jairo was absolutely woeful that debut. Worst debut performance by any Palace player that o can remember.

I went on holiday a couple of days after the game and watched the whole match back on my laptop one night in a hotel when the Mrs. and kids went to sleep early. I was trying to understand how that performance went so badly... And he really was awful.

That doesn't mean he couldn't have come good here, particularly in a different role but he was signed specifically to play one position in a formation we threw in the bin after 1 or 2 games.

Reg_Maudling 01-08-2018 06:36 PM

I am not sure he is tough enough for the championship

Martin H 01-08-2018 06:52 PM

Quote:

Out of interest why? What relevance does that have to anything?

Chris Finch 01-08-2018 06:55 PM

Always thought Jairo has done OK/better than OK when played in CM.
Would be a shame to see him go

Latvian Eagle 01-08-2018 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 14363911)
He was indeed. A lot of the blame obviously goes to FDB but his awful selection but Jairo was absolutely woeful that debut. Worst debut performance by any Palace player that o can remember.

I went on holiday a couple of days after the game and watched the whole match back on my laptop one night in a hotel when the Mrs. and kids went to sleep early. I was trying to understand how that performance went so badly... And he really was awful.

That doesn't mean he couldn't have come good here, particularly in a different role but he was signed specifically to play one position in a formation we threw in the bin after 1 or 2 games.

TFM was ok in fits and spurts but even he looked lost when played in his "natural" position of Centre Back. His positioning was dreadful in the middle.

Lee sinnots ear 01-08-2018 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 14363958)
Out of interest why? What relevance does that have to anything?

Good question and of course the answer is it is irrelevant :p

Dave Hedgehog 01-08-2018 07:12 PM

One reporter saying that Jairo isn't keen.

Not surprised.

NorthPalace23 01-08-2018 07:13 PM

Think we should insist on a loan not a permanent deal.

Look at Chelsea. They still own Loftus-Cheek and his value has gone up. It puts them in a strong position. If Riedewald does well for Swansea we will want to keep him.

Also I worry our squad is a little old. Kouyate (who might sign for us) is nearly 29. We need young players like Riedewald. We don't want to end up like Stoke, WBA and Fulham a few years ago, who went down as established clubs with ageing squads.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 01-08-2018 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthPalace23 (Post 14364003)
Think we should insist on a loan not a permanent deal.

Look at Chelsea. They still own Loftus-Cheek and his value has gone up. It puts them in a strong position. If Riedewald does well for Swansea we will want to keep him.

Also I worry our squad is a little old. Kouyate (who might sign for us) is nearly 29. We need young players like Riedewald. We don't want to end up like Stoke, WBA and Fulham a few years ago, who went down as established clubs with ageing squads.

But they have Ayew, who we want. So if we 'insist' on that, then we may well not get him. I would guess we also need to balance our purchases by letting someone go. Plus I suspect Kouyate is really taking Jairo's place and doubt we would want both on our books.

herts_palace 01-08-2018 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srh (Post 14363889)

Currently I would start Punch ahead of Jairo He has looked the best player on the pitch in the two games I've seen him for the 2nd 11. Jairo doesn't seem quite quick enough - mentally and physically - for a CM at the moment.

I wouldn't start Punch but he's the best of the rest at the moment.

wrightchipvcfc 01-08-2018 07:46 PM

Spose club sit down and say xy z are coming in 1 or 2 have to go out for ffp and 25 squad so then it comes down who could we do without who's on decent money who would be wanted by enougher club narrows it down a lot