CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

Glɑzier 01-08-2018 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthPalace23 (Post 14364003)
Think we should insist on a loan not a permanent deal.

Look at Chelsea. They still own Loftus-Cheek and his value has gone up. It puts them in a strong position. If Riedewald does well for Swansea we will want to keep him.

Also I worry our squad is a little old. Kouyate (who might sign for us) is nearly 29. We need young players like Riedewald. We don't want to end up like Stoke, WBA and Fulham a few years ago, who went down as established clubs with ageing squads.

Agreed, if Dave Hedgehog's reporter says he isn't that keen then loan him, potentially with an option to buy, and write off wages and fee against Ayew's fee, or just don't bother. As I keep banging on, he would be a "fringe" player like Riedewald anyway. JR younger and more potential.

red&blue_moomin 01-08-2018 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herts_palace (Post 14364028)
Currently I would start Punch ahead of Jairo He has looked the best player on the pitch in the two games I've seen him for the 2nd 11. Jairo doesn't seem quite quick enough - mentally and physically - for a CM at the moment.

I wouldn't start Punch but he's the best of the rest at the moment.

? Riedewald has played as our DM for nearly every match in preseason he's done very well. Granted the oppo was all lower league but he's done well this preseason.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 01-08-2018 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red&blue_moomin (Post 14364070)
? Riedewald has played as our DM for nearly every match in preseason he's done very well. Granted the oppo was all lower league but he's done well this preseason.

This is true but he only got so many minutes because Luka was late back and presuming Kouyate arrives he will drop further down the pecking order for that role.

Excowboy 01-08-2018 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Hedgehog (Post 14364001)
One reporter saying that Jairo isn't keen.

Not surprised.

It'd be great for his development to play in the Championship. Trouble is he might not get back in the Premium again after. It's the main reason a loan seemed the more likely option - easier to sell it to Jairo.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 01-08-2018 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excowboy (Post 14364186)
It'd be great for his development to play in the Championship. Trouble is he might not get back in the Premium again after. It's the main reason a loan seemed the more likely option - easier to sell it to Jairo.

But we may not be able to afford/ get the players we want if it is only a loan. And presumably Swansea would raise the price for Ayew if we only loaned Jairo or may have no interest in a loan at all. The deal only works if they are happy with it too.

Whether Jairo agrees to it is of course another matter.

Stellavista 01-08-2018 09:20 PM

I'm not sure he should agree to this one. If he's got any sense, he'll say he wants to stay and fight for his place. He's young, paid well and on a longish contract. London to Swansea? F*ck that.

Braders 01-08-2018 09:24 PM

Not sure why people are bothered that he is leaving. Physically weak, average passing, not very quick... Is he particularly dynamic in any area?

Another poor player off the books is a good thing.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 01-08-2018 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braders (Post 14364252)
Not sure why people are bothered that he is leaving. Physically weak, average passing, not very quick... Is he particularly dynamic in any area?

I think his passing is decent enough but I agree that I have doubts about his physicality (including pace) and he doesn't win the ball very much either. Personally would be happy to replace him with Kouyate.

The Vicar 01-08-2018 09:40 PM

Great passing, vision and ability to keep possession. At this stage of his development, not the most physical, and pace is only OK. Would like to keep him around.

Fatboy 01-08-2018 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braders (Post 14364252)

You cannot keep buying your way out of trouble.

He is a good young player, on affordable wages, and is good to be available as a squad player . He could develop into a much better player with a full season under Roy.

RLC would not be the player he is now had he not 'gambled' on coming to us.

You need to give him time. 3 Caps for Holland, with experience of playing in Champions and Europa League. You cannot call him a poor player.

We just need to unlock his potential.

Fatboy 01-08-2018 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Vicar (Post 14364292)
Great passing, vision and ability to keep possession. At this stage of his development, not the most physical, and pace is only OK. Would like to keep him around.

Some forget he is only 21 and last year was his first season outside Holland.

Great Lombardi 01-08-2018 10:25 PM

The Sun says he has refused to join Swansea and the Ayew deal is dead.

wedgetail 01-08-2018 10:33 PM

Great

red&blue_moomin 01-08-2018 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Lombardi (Post 14364404)

Good, If we have to have another striker then I want us to concentrate on getting Antonio, Watkins or El Hadidi or any of the other promising 20 to 23 yr olds in La Liga and Serie A. If we are that short of cash we can't loan someone then we should be trying to flog one of Benteke, Wickham and Pape (though very harsh on Connor and Pape and Christian would be the obvious one that we could lose).

We are allowed several foreign loans why are we not attacking that instead of buying an average player from a relegated team.

CPFCalifornia 01-08-2018 10:43 PM

Good news. I think Jairo will be a really good player for us in a year or so.

ebyeeckeagle 01-08-2018 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatboy (Post 14364350)
Some forget he is only 21 and last year was his first season outside Holland.

Well, quite.

Langers 01-08-2018 10:54 PM

Offer them Jordan Mutch instead?

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 01-08-2018 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Lombardi (Post 14364404)

Not a total surprise. Wonder what we will do next if it is true. Up our bid for Ayew, increasing cash offer?

Try to loan Abraham instead of him?

Issue for Jairo is that Kouyate has now signed and it sounds like Mayer is done, so he is probably behind 4 other players for a central spot right now.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 01-08-2018 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPFCalifornia (Post 14364459)
Good news. I think Jairo will be a really good player for us in a year or so.

I wonder if he would accept a loan deal to the right club? If the other central midfielders stay fit he will be behind Luka, Mayer, Kouyate and Jimmy now.

Stinger1 01-08-2018 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Langers (Post 14364486)
Offer them Jordan Mutch instead?

It's quite amazing, we finally get rid of all the deadwood and now we don't have any to sign someone from a Championship team.

red&blue_moomin 01-08-2018 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 14364504)
I wonder if he would accept a loan deal to the right club? If the other central midfielders stay fit he will be behind Luka, Mayer, Kouyate and Jimmy now.

Jimmy won't play in the middle he'll be either RM or LM. If we can't get RLC I'm dreading it but I'm concerned we'll see

MM CK LM JM which I think will be a huge waste of MM abilties as a deep lying playmaker, or maybe he'll prove me wrong and do great in a position he's never played in.

RLC MM LM JM would be a 'better' version of what we played last season.

second string
JS JP JR JW

It would mean the club could rotate and maybe we'll see less stupid injuries.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 01-08-2018 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red&blue_moomin (Post 14364526)
Jimmy won't play in the middle he'll be either RM or LM. If we can't get RLC I'm dreading it but I'm concerned we'll see

MM CK LM JM which I think will be a huge waste of MM abilties as a deep lying playmaker, or maybe he'll prove me wrong and do great in a position he's never played in.

second string
JS JP JR JW

If we play a 4 I would imagine it would be Townsend (right), Luka, Mayer (central) and Schlupp/ Jimmy left? Although Luka and Kouyate central with Mayer on the left is also possible.

Unless Andros is used up top again of course... I could go on... many options. But either way, Jairo's chances of game time have certainly reduced now.

From our business so far I am also starting to wonder if we might go 433 at times. Luka, Kouyate and Mayer as a solid 3 and Wilf and Andros either side of a more traditional striker.

16eagles 02-08-2018 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 14364540)
If we play a 4 I would imagine it would be Townsend (right), Luka, Mayer (central) and Schlupp/ Jimmy left? Although Luka and Kouyate central with Mayer on the left is also possible.

Unless Andros is used up top again of course... I could go on... many options. But either way, Jairo's chances of game time have certainly reduced now.

From our business so far I am also starting to wonder if we might go 433 at times. Luka, Kouyate and Mayer as a solid 3 and Wilf and Andros either side of a more traditional striker.

Roy has a history of 4411. Kouyate and Milivojevic i think will be in middle First choice. we may see Meyer behind Zaha.
As for Jairo would like him to stay.

Tim 02-08-2018 07:09 AM

He needs to be playing regularly like RLC & that’s not going to happen here next season. I think a move to the Championship would be best for him at this stage in his career.

Adlerhorst 02-08-2018 07:20 AM

If we want him to develop we should either play him or loan him to a club in a decent league where he will play.

That is not the Championship. I’d try to find a club in Germany

cpfc4evandeva 02-08-2018 07:28 AM

Quote:

second string
JS JP JR JW

Why are you posting in code?

glaziers fan 02-08-2018 08:21 AM

Looks curtains for his Palace career.

And I have to say that whilst I think he is a good passer I haven't seen enough pace or athleticism, enough bite or desire, or strength and aerial ability for his size to think he has anything else to his game. He's just a player who has had a decent footballing education. I think the Riedewald we see at 21 is the same Riedewald we will see at 31. I wanted it to work for him here, and he will be a good player for someone, but I back Roy in getting rid of him. Not least because he doesn't fit our style - he would be better suited to a passing team that plays tiki-taka. Good luck Jairo.

glaziers fan 02-08-2018 08:24 AM

Quote:

second string
JS JP JR JW

Hang on, has Andros Townsend gone?

I share your concern about Max Meyer playing left midfield as I don't think that's his position. I am really hoping Kouyate is just cover and that MM will be first choice in the middle, but we will see.

srh 02-08-2018 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glaziers fan (Post 14364942)
Hang on, has Andros Townsend gone?

I share your concern about Max Meyer playing left midfield as I don't think that's his position. I am really hoping Kouyate is just cover and that MM will be first choice in the middle, but we will see.

My bet is Meyer will be in the RLC role. Roy likes his players to be able to rotate, so expect wilf to drift out wide and meyer to drift inside just like RLC did and Jimmy does on the right with Wilf and Andros up top

chateauferret 02-08-2018 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srh (Post 14365115)
My bet is Meyer will be in the RLC role. Roy likes his players to be able to rotate, so expect wilf to drift out wide and meyer to drift inside just like RLC did and Jimmy does on the right with Wilf and Andros up top

Well if he likes players that can rotate expect to see a lot of Puncheon. I've never seen a player go round and round in circles as much as he does.

Dave Hedgehog 02-08-2018 10:19 AM

Presumably we could only afford this one if Jairo was a permanent swap.

If it's true that he hasn't agreed to the swap and the deal is dead, I think Jairo's done us a favour here.

Not convinced at all that Ayew is what we need.

exiledeagle 02-08-2018 10:58 AM

Problem for Jairo is that he knows we are prepared to let him go ?

SuttonExile 02-08-2018 11:19 AM

I do feel a little sorry for Jairo. He’s very talented and I’ve been saying this since we signed him. I watched him a bit at Ajax and he is brilliant. We’ve been calling out for a midfielder that can pass and retain the ball, he can do it. Give him time. Europa League final to being loaned out to Swansea (if that ends up happening for the Ayew deal) - either way I hope we keep him and give him a real chance in the next couple of seasons. He could easily turn into one of our more talented players.

red&blue_moomin 02-08-2018 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuttonExile (Post 14365290)
I do feel a little sorry for Jairo. Heís very talented and Iíve been saying this since we signed him. I watched him a bit at Ajax and he is brilliant. Weíve been calling out for a midfielder that can pass and retain the ball, he can do it. Give him time. Europa League final to being loaned out to Swansea (if that ends up happening for the Ayew deal) - either way I hope we keep him and give him a real chance in the next couple of seasons. He could easily turn into one of our more talented players.

If we do it properly Jairo in time could become the backup for Max. With Kouyate the backup for Luka.

Martin H 02-08-2018 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuttonExile (Post 14365290)
I do feel a little sorry for Jairo. Heís very talented and Iíve been saying this since we signed him. I watched him a bit at Ajax and he is brilliant. Weíve been calling out for a midfielder that can pass and retain the ball, he can do it. Give him time. Europa League final to being loaned out to Swansea (if that ends up happening for the Ayew deal) - either way I hope we keep him and give him a real chance in the next couple of seasons. He could easily turn into one of our more talented players.

Isn't it worse - sold to Swansea? It does keep changing I know. I would prefer a Loan but pretty sure the consensus is a sale.

mcmean 02-08-2018 01:05 PM

I hope its a loan instead of perm - cracking player with great potential

PHIL BARBER 02-08-2018 01:22 PM

From what i have been told Jairo will not be leaving permanent, more than likely a free loan, offset against purchase keeps in FFP as selling club reduce our buying price.

Spindle 02-08-2018 01:27 PM

PHIL BARBER the Messiah has spoken. :D

Go forth into the streets and announce that JR shall remain a Palace player :lux:

#bellend

Stavros 69 02-08-2018 01:48 PM

Just go away PHIL you troll

PHIL BARBER 02-08-2018 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 14365579)
Just go away PHIL you troll

put me on ignore but you can't because you love it.

Stellavista 02-08-2018 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHIL BARBER (Post 14365583)

I thought you'd put yourself on ignore by announcing you were f*cking off?

PauLo 02-08-2018 02:40 PM

Quote:

Most people have cottoned on your act now and enjoy it when you make a fool of yourself. Not to mention your delusions of grandeur.

PHIL BARBER 02-08-2018 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 14365698)
I thought you'd put yourself on ignore by announcing you were f*cking off?

Grrrrrr Madam stop it you know you love it really

MFBias 02-08-2018 03:36 PM

We need PHILBARBER.

thereichstuff 02-08-2018 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MFBias (Post 14365792)
We need PHILBARBER.

Debatable.

PauLo 02-08-2018 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MFBias (Post 14365792)
We need PHILBARBER.

Is he more reliable than PHIL BARBER?

PHIL BARBER 02-08-2018 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thereichstuff (Post 14365802)
Debatable.

Lets debate.

EryrExile 02-08-2018 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHIL BARBER (Post 14366162)
Lets debate.

Good idea.

PS in PMs.

PPS not with me.

Braintree Eagle 02-08-2018 06:37 PM

Quote:

PHIL BARBER = tiresome moron.

Owngoal 02-08-2018 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PauLo (Post 14365809)
Is he more reliable than PHIL BARBER?

Rather that Frebch cunit Barber the feckn green suited elephant. More intelligent than our one

EryrExile 02-08-2018 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owngoal (Post 14366220)
Rather that Frebch cunit Barber the feckn green suited elephant. More intelligent than our one

Are you talking about Babar, oh intelligent one?

Billy Rhino 02-08-2018 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braintree Eagle (Post 14366207)
PHIL BARBER = tiresome moron.

I agree 110%

exiledeagle 02-08-2018 09:32 PM

Sure I saw Jairo on training photos today

CP-RJW 02-08-2018 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exiledeagle (Post 14366790)
Sure I saw Jairo on training photos today

That was Rakip.

MFBias 02-08-2018 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14366792)
That was Rakip.

Seen with Simon Jordan.

Glɑzier 02-08-2018 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MFBias (Post 14366801)
Seen with Simon Jordan.

... pretty sure there was a deckchair in the background as well.

Good on Jairo I say, it looks even better to me that were keeping him with Meyer likely to bugger off on a free in three years time. We develop him at the same time and that will soften the blow. Obviously making the massive assumption that Meyer becomes an integral part of the team.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 02-08-2018 11:38 PM

Difficult position for him to be in. Stay here playing a club he knows would prefer him to go and be unlikely to get much football, quite possibly not even making the bench or go and play in Championship. Can't be an easy decision for him.

Spindle 03-08-2018 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PauLo (Post 14365709)
Most people have cottoned on your act now and enjoy it when you make a fool of yourself. Not to mention your delusions of grandeur.

Yup. I won't ignore him because he makes such a fool of himself one cannot help but laugh.

Spindle 03-08-2018 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 14367022)
Difficult position for him to be in. Stay here playing a club he knows would prefer him to go and be unlikely to get much football, quite possibly not even making the bench or go and play in Championship. Can't be an easy decision for him.

Probably is. I expect that wood-headed-church-organ-voiced manager who signed him stuck him on a salary way more than he was worth. I spoke with an Ajax fan on holiday just after we signed him and he was laughing at how much we paid.

Old Joe Paxton 03-08-2018 10:35 AM

I think the situation now for him and the clubs is now, 'awks'.

Sat on bench, big money too i think and he is not wanted.

Unless there is an injury not sure how he is going to breakthrough.

Its a bit of a shame really.

Still can't be too upset, He earns no doubt more in a week than I do in a year

carter 03-08-2018 10:39 AM

These scenarios have worked out before. Remember when Brighton had a bid accepted for Garvan and he turned it down to stay and then went on to have a great season for us in 2012/13. It’s gonna be hard for him though. Definitely think he should try get a loan deal

eagleborn 03-08-2018 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Joe Paxton (Post 14367616)

I doubt he is "not wanted". I'm sure we will make use of him in some capacity, but just he is not integral to our plans so will spend much of the season on the bench.

Palace Yankee 03-08-2018 10:57 AM

Let's hope this has all rattled his cage in a positive way and he uses it as motivation. He's not a finished article, but only he can do anything about becoming one.

Kai 03-08-2018 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Joe Paxton (Post 14367616)

Which is why he should go out on loan somewhere, be it Swansea or somewhere else. It doesn't help his development to sit on the bench and play in the U23s

Glɑzier 03-08-2018 11:23 AM

With Luka and Meyer not quite match fit I do think he will get a decent run in the first team over the next few weeks, if he does well he might push out Macca or Kouyate, or at the very least, force Roy to rotate.

Seems hopeful but this guy is far more likely to stick with us longer term then Meyer and he does have talent. Need to make sure we don't marginalise him at the very least.

Stavros 69 03-08-2018 11:40 AM

I just dont understand why we don't loan him out?
I'm not saying we're as big as Chelsea etc but we are a premier league team
We have managed to bag one of the best talents from Ajax on the cheap; ok he hasn't managed to break into the first team and now he's got more people ahead of him.
He's got a decent amount of time on his contract, why don't we just loan him out and get someone else to develop our asset. Seems all too simple to me.

red&blue_moomin 03-08-2018 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glɑzier (Post 14367729)
With Luka and Meyer not quite match fit I do think he will get a decent run in the first team over the next few weeks, if he does well he might push out Macca or Kouyate, or at the very least, force Roy to rotate.

Seems hopeful but this guy is far more likely to stick with us longer term then Meyer and he does have talent. Need to make sure we don't marginalise him at the very least.

We actually have an Ajax wunderkid and a Schalke wunderkid in our team along with our very own wunderkid.

I'd be using Jairo in the cups and as a squad rotation player. If we improve the second team and I think we are then that side should be able to progress a few rounds in the cups with a sprinkling of first team players.

Old Joe Paxton 03-08-2018 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glɑzier (Post 14367729)

Well thats not gone well then has it: if reports correct the club have tried to push him out to 'Div2' and Wales...

Burnt bridges?

red&blue_moomin 03-08-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 14367754)
We have managed to bag one of the best talents from Ajax on the cheap; ok he hasn't managed to break into the first team and now he's got more people ahead of him.
He's got a decent amount of time on his contract, why don't we just loan him out and get someone else to develop our asset. Seems all too simple to me.

Honestly because we need the squad cover. It might be risky but Roy really needs to start using his subs to blood players a little bit also it might help reduce injuries a bit due to not stretching the first team 11 until it snaps.

Glɑzier 03-08-2018 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Joe Paxton (Post 14367764)
Well thats not gone well then has it: if reports correct the club have tried to push him out to 'Div2' and Wales...

Burnt bridges?

I refer the honourable gentleman to Carter's post about Garvan.

Lee B 03-08-2018 03:37 PM

Can someone help me out as to what Jairo has done in a Palace shirt to justify the faith some on here have in him? I just donít see it.

Heís had 1 half decent game against City. What else?

I donít think heís a bad player but I just donít think that heís suited to the Premier League. He doesnít look to be quick enough.

Gollum 03-08-2018 03:43 PM

Quote:

I'd imagine that if we don't sell him by Weds, it's a last day loan on thursday.

Billyd 03-08-2018 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee B (Post 14368218)
Can someone help me out as to what Jairo has done in a Palace shirt to justify the faith some on here have in him? I just donít see it.

I donít think heís a bad player but I just donít think that heís suited to the Premier League. He doesnít look to be quick enough.

This really. nothing against the bloke and he may well turn out ok. But he has plenty ahead of him now and really done nothing to warrant being a starter at this level at the moment.

eagleborn 03-08-2018 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billyd (Post 14368257)
This really. nothing against the bloke and he may well turn out ok. But he has plenty ahead of him now and really done nothing to warrant being a starter at this level at the moment.

But was anyone suggesting he should be a starter? No different to Williams, Kirby, Kai Kai etc who people repeatedly want to see. None of them have done enough (or anything) at this level to warrant a place but people still want it.

I think a loan would be good for Riedewald, but even if not, I haven't seen enough to say he can't be a squad player.

thefox 03-08-2018 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billyd (Post 14368257)

He may have a few more infront of him. We don't know if the new players will come good or be as bad as fans of their old clubs say they are.
Luka hasn't had a pre-season. Puncheon has lost it.

rambo1 03-08-2018 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gollum (Post 14368232)
I'd imagine that if we don't sell him by Weds, it's a last day loan on thursday.

Players can still be Loaned,to the Football League,until 31st of August.

LuieJack 03-08-2018 04:55 PM

I really feel JR has been silly not taking an opportunity to kick start his career at Swansea as playing on a regular basis would have enhanced his profile, he does not have a future at Palace regardless what some may think. He could well develop into a good ball playing CB in time, but will be fortunate to get into the midfield unless its in an emergency, his only chance that i can see will eventually be in Central defence but he is far from ready to step up any time soon, so the move would have helped his development.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 03-08-2018 05:07 PM

Quote:

I agree. Doesn't mean he couldn't come good but I haven't seen any evidence he will either.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 03-08-2018 05:11 PM

Quote:

We may be willing to but that doesn't help us get the cash to buy the forward we want. So trying to sell/ part exchange him makes sense. If we can't do that we may consider a loan.

PemboExpress 03-08-2018 05:45 PM

Quote:

Agree.

Feel sorry for the lad coming in by way of FDB, but he is 1-2 seasons off being a potential starter in my eyes.

How many times did Roy make no substitutions rather than even bring him on off the bench for 5-20 mins ?

itsrickyb 03-08-2018 06:06 PM

Selling him would be massively short sighted in my opinion. We still don't have squad depth and he certainly fills the criteria for that role as a minimum.

Stellavista 03-08-2018 06:15 PM

I think some people are a bit down on him because of the ludicrous fee we paid, with Ajax and their supporters laughing all the way to the bank. Not his fault. I think he's had a bit of a rough ride. The manager who bought him was hopelessly out of his depth from the off, and then quickly got the bullet. What must the lad have thought? But he knuckled down and has put in a couple of decent performances when called upon. I'm undecided on him, but he's certainly not the worst player we've ever bought, just hugely overpriced. I would loan him for a season, not sell him just yet. And, like Mutch, there's no reason from his point of view that he should leave.

CP-RJW 03-08-2018 06:18 PM

Quote:

He also was very good vs Burnley, and okay vs Spurs. A great performance, a good performance, and an okay performance in his only 3 chances in thr first team at CDM is promising for me, as heís so young.

Celestial Empire 03-08-2018 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14368482)
He also was very good vs Burnley, and okay vs Spurs. A great performance, a good performance, and an okay performance in his only 3 chances in thr first team at CDM is promising for me, as heís so young.

Most of the posts on here bad-mouthing Jairo, are from people who think Ayew is the answer to our prayers.
RH said he has had an opportunity to watch Jairo more in the friendlies and was actually pretty complimentary. Jairo has been well schooled in a famous academy, and needs time to mature, grow stronger and acquire more "player personality".
RH has said that his task for 2018/19 is survival, and that probably goes for (rebuild year) 2019/2020 too. Of course he is still controlling expectations, and everyone hopes for much more.
Jairo probably won't be a 'make or break' player for survival, so the management may have decided he should be sacrificed (since Swansea were so keen).
In the slightly longer term, we are likely to lose a whole bunch of core players - and that is when Jairo will have the opportunity to become a first-pick midfielder.

Ian Hart 03-08-2018 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 14368480)
I think some people are a bit down on him because of the ludicrous fee we paid, with Ajax and their supporters laughing all the way to the bank. Not his fault. I think he's had a bit of a rough ride.

TBH, I'm not sure he has ever fully recovered from the torrid time he was given in that first match at home to Huddersfield. He was played as a centre-back, where he seemed hopelessly out of his depth, culminating in him not even leaving the ground when Huddersfield headed the second.

If he had been bought and played as a defensive midfielder(and for a more reasonable fee) rather than allegedly as a centre back, there might have been a bit more patience with him, and his own confidence might not have been shot to pieces right at the start

CP-RJW 03-08-2018 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Hart (Post 14368783)
TBH, I'm not sure he has ever fully recovered from the torrid time he was given in that first match at home to Huddersfield. He was played as a centre-back, where he seemed hopelessly out of his depth, culminating in him not even leaving the ground when Huddersfield headed the second.

If he had been bought and played as a defensive midfielder(and for a more reasonable fee) rather than allegedly as a centre back, there might have been a bit more patience with him, and his own confidence might not have been shot to pieces right at the start

I’m pretty sure Ajax fans said not to play him at centre back, and this may be wrong, but he played at left back the season before we bought him? Either way, I put little value in where FDB thinks players should play tbh.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 03-08-2018 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celestial Empire (Post 14368528)
Most of the posts on here bad-mouthing Jairo, are from people who think Ayew is the answer to our prayers.
RH said he has had an opportunity to watch Jairo more in the friendlies and was actually pretty complimentary. Jairo has been well schooled in a famous academy, and needs time to mature, grow stronger and acquire more "player personality".
RH has said that his task for 2018/19 is survival, and that probably goes for (rebuild year) 2019/2020 too. Of course he is still controlling expectations, and everyone hopes for much more.
Jairo probably won't be a 'make or break' player for survival, so the management may have decided he should be sacrificed (since Swansea were so keen).
In the slightly longer term, we are likely to lose a whole bunch of core players - and that is when Jairo will have the opportunity to become a first-pick midfielder.

No one at all is "bad mouthing" him.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 03-08-2018 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14368482)

He also came on in centre mid as a sub a few times and made very little impact, and was pretty awful there against Bristol City in the cup, very weak turning his back on one of the shots they scored from. I didn't think he was particularly good against Burnley either. I would only class that one as OK.

I don't think we've seen enough to make a real judgement either way but Roy doesn't appear too keen to use him and appears willing to let him to go to get another target.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 03-08-2018 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagleborn (Post 14367647)
I doubt he is "not wanted". I'm sure we will make use of him in some capacity, but just he is not integral to our plans so will spend much of the season on the bench.

If everyone is fit and we sign the other player we are after (whoever that is now Ayew appears to be off the menu) then I'm not sure he would always make the bench.

Likely bench:
1. Keeper
2. Ward
3. Kelly/ Dann
4. Schlupp
5. Jimmy
6. Wickham/ Sorloth
7. New player who probably isn't Ayew

Hedgehog 03-08-2018 11:57 PM

Putting my sentimental hat on, I've been pretty impressed with him in the pre-season games. I can't help but feel a little sorry for him.

In the Phenom's documentary, he cut somewhat of a lonely figure when he got to Palace.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 04-08-2018 02:49 PM

Interesting that he is not on the bench today while Puncheon and Williams are.

Injured? A message that he won't be used? Or is the deal still a possibility?

xian1 04-08-2018 03:03 PM

Jairo Riedewald discussion

I like Jairo

glaziers fan 04-08-2018 03:18 PM

See ya.

exiledeagle 04-08-2018 03:26 PM

Maybe he is not in right frame of mind to play

exiledeagle 04-08-2018 03:36 PM

No Ayew for Swansea today

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 04-08-2018 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exiledeagle (Post 14369859)
No Ayew for Swansea today

That is definitely interesting.

Golf Boy 18-04-2019 07:57 PM

The guy must be on a fortune.

Sp1Eagle 18-04-2019 08:05 PM

?

Golf Boy 18-04-2019 08:07 PM

After hardly playing for two years, no push for a transfer

Lombardo's hair 18-04-2019 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golf Boy (Post 14732542)
After hardly playing for two years, no push for a transfer

And uour point?