CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

Martin H 07-12-2019 10:16 PM

Played well and not just in the classic LB wide berth but I thought he covered across really well too. Good and composed on the ball as you would expect. Can’t imagine for a min he would be playing LB this morning, so we’ll done Jairo.

Gazza2 07-12-2019 10:41 PM

Good on the ball but got outpaced far too often and far too easily on the outside allowing a lot of crosses to get into the box.

Stavros 69 07-12-2019 11:26 PM

Nice to see him get some mins.

aj4england 07-12-2019 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza2 (Post 15008307)
Good on the ball but got outpaced far too often and far too easily on the outside allowing a lot of crosses to get into the box.

A bit harsh , needs to improve defensively/ position wide but looked classy with very good distribution.

Looked more effective than McCarthy

Palace43 08-12-2019 12:07 AM

Quote:

He was up against arguably one of the fastest players in world football (not that it makes Sarr any good).

Riedewald done well to stay with him and put enough pressure on for him not to make any good crosses or dribbles.

I’ve always liked Riedewald as a player, but it seems that Roy has never trusted him. Potentially for good reason, Roy is the one who sees the training.

Hopefully Riedewald has made a decent case to get noticed now.

Glɑzier 08-12-2019 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SussexRed&Blue (Post 15007942)
Was good today at Left Back when he came on passed the ball well and linked the play well with Wilf etc.

As Hodgson said previously he is a good footballer.

You do wonder how much hunger for the game he has though to be a success.

Hopefully this is a new start for him. Was impressed by him when he played against Man City a season ago but seems to have drifted along a bit in the u23's.

Not only did Hodgson say he's a good footballer, he also said he's the most technically gifted player at the club (I saw this on twitter, but it may also have been mentioned on the Q&A thread), so must surely hold him in some degree of esteem, hopefully not an unwise inference on my part.

Agree with your other comments, and as Ray Lewington said in last year's Q&A, he's not "busy" enough. But Roy's comment this year, and actually playing him, suggest to me he wants him to succeed. As to why the workrate isn't, or hasn't been there, it could be a question of stamina rather than will, in which case he should move to a mainland Euro league asap. Otherwise if he's actually turning a corner, I'll start getting my hopes up about him again :(

brighton_eagle 08-12-2019 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 15008271)
Played well and not just in the classic LB wide berth but I thought he covered across really well too. Good and composed on the ball as you would expect. Can’t imagine for a min he would be playing LB this morning, so we’ll done Jairo.

He looked genuinely surprised when he got pulled in from the pitch at half time and told to get ready.

red&blue_moomin 08-12-2019 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle (Post 15007928)
Been in the Wilderness? He put himself there by lolloping around like he hasn't given a shit in the U23s and Pre season friendlies for the last 2 - 3 seasons. If he actually had put the effort in he might have played a bit more.

Which is bollocks because some plonker decided he was fat one year based upon him not wearing a form fitting shirt. He apparently is a good trainer and one of the best technical players at the club from what Roy has said. He's also too slow according to Roy and Ray. None of which makes him lazy.

BUNGLE 08-12-2019 04:02 AM

Decent on the ball, didnt manage to stop any crosses coming in from that side though.

Latvian Eagle 08-12-2019 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red&blue_moomin (Post 15008421)
Which is bollocks because some plonker decided he was fat one year based upon him not wearing a form fitting shirt. He apparently is a good trainer and one of the best technical players at the club from what Roy has said. He's also too slow according to Roy and Ray. None of which makes him lazy.

Well it's not bollocks is it otherwise he would have played more wouldn't he. :rolleyes: If he was that good he would have been in the team at some point. The fact he has only ever made it in when we are right down to the bare bones like yesterday, or for a League Cup tie against lower league opposition is very telling.

It's got nothing to do with what shirt he was wearing in a pre season game. Look through any U23 game thread last season and most comments will be about Jairo couldn't be bothered again, Jairo looked like he didn't want to be there. Perhaps if he actually tried to impress the management he might have had more opportunities rather than sulking.

Martin H 08-12-2019 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle (Post 15008469)
Well it's not bollocks is it otherwise he would have played more wouldn't he. :rolleyes: If he was that good he would have been in the team at some point. The fact he has only ever made it in when we are right down to the bare bones like yesterday, or for a League Cup tie against lower league opposition is very telling.

It's got nothing to do with what shirt he was wearing in a pre season game. Look through any U23 game thread last season and most comments will be about Jairo couldn't be bothered again, Jairo looked like he didn't want to be there. Perhaps if he actually tried to impress the management he might have had more opportunities rather than sulking.

Not sure that's (edit) fair re the U23 performances. I can't remember him not being bothered (care - only based on streams). If anything he looks more engaged than most of the other senior players that play for U23. There was one match that I remember Hodgson had to leave early that he hadn't had a great game but for the most part he plays pretty well I think. Composure on the ball, supports play and keeps things ticking over and switches play well etc. His whole playing style is a little laid back and I had thought that it was this that was questioned about him. i.e. does he have the intensity in the middle of the park and does he get up and down the park as quickly as they would like? He hasn't played as often this season.

Mr Bo Jangles 08-12-2019 08:48 AM

Looked far more mobile than I remember. Thought he did ok, didn’t let js down, plenty of effort. composed on the ball but understandably lacking a bit defensively as not his natural position. Played his part in what was a difficult game.

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o 08-12-2019 09:14 AM

What was wrong with Schluppy..What injury did he sustain ?

SussexRed&Blue 08-12-2019 09:32 AM

From a previous fans forum event over a year ago I believe that Ray said that Technically he is one of the best players at the club but he was not busy enough. He also said that his best position is Centre Midfield.

At the moment there is loads of competition currently for that position in front of him.

When we had a big injury crisis he did actually play Centre Midfield against Man City at home and did very well but we have not really seen much of him since.

The Premier League is played with intensity but yesterday he seemed to cope well with it in a feisty game even though he was in an unfamiliar position.

I suppose when you come out of the Ajax Academy the grounding the players get would involve playing in different positions across the team to give players a better understanding of the game.

Martin H 08-12-2019 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SussexRed&Blue (Post 15008579)
From a a previous fans forum event over a year ago I believe that Ray said that Technically he is one of the best players at the club but he was not busy enough. He also said that his best position is Centre Midfield but there is loads of competition currently for that position in front of him.

When we had a big injury crisis he did actually play Centre Midfield against Man City at home and did very well but we have not really seen much of him since.

The Premier League is played with intensity but yesterday he seemed to cope well with it in a feisty game even though he was in an unfamiliar position.

I suppose when you come out of the Ajax Academy the grounding the players get would involve playing in different positions across the team to give players a better understanding of the game.

He played LB (as well as DM and CB) for Ajax and made his debut there I think? Not sure but didn't he pay there in the late stages of the Europa Cup in his last season there. Think he might have played there for us in a Cup match too but not certain.

Kai 08-12-2019 09:46 AM

Wasn't he at left back for the UEFA cup final?

He wasn't given an easy task yesterday coming on like that and did no worse than Schlupp. Being up against a pacy player like Sarr is not easy at all and he looked good on the ball and even ventured forward a time or two. He looks a bit slow though, so will be exposed against fast players

SussexRed&Blue 08-12-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 15008592)
He played LB (as well as DM and CB) for Ajax and made his debut there I think? Not sure but didn't he pay there in the late stages of the Europa Cup in his last season there. Think he might have played there for us in a Cup match too but not certain.

I must admit i'm not too familiar with his Ajax playing career but they have certainly produced some decent players over the years so he must of had something about him to make the 1st team!

I think you could be right he did play at Left Back before for us in a Cup Match.

bodger 08-12-2019 11:05 AM

Well the way it stands he could be playing against Brighton so an intense week of training for him.

Golf Boy 08-12-2019 11:10 AM

Play him as the midfielder that gets forward. Mac and Kouyote get into good positions but neither of them are going to score ever.

Martin H 08-12-2019 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SussexRed&Blue (Post 15008603)
I must admit i'm not too familiar with his Ajax playing career but they have certainly produced some decent players over the years so he must of had something about him to make the 1st team!

I think you could be right he did play at Left Back before for us in a Cup Match.

TBH you are not alone, I think Roy described it as an unfamiliar position for him. What is pretty evrtain is that he hadn't expected that morning to be playing 45 mins at LB :)

Happy Arthur 08-12-2019 11:15 AM

Done well after being completely frozen out. Hope this is a turning point for him, maybe even make himself a cult hero with a goal against Bright*n..

switchboard 08-12-2019 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Arthur (Post 15008702)
Done well after being completely frozen out. Hope this is a turning point for him, maybe even make himself a cult hero with a goal against Bright*n..

That would be great

mylona 08-12-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Bit harsh as he is not a natural left back.

mylona 08-12-2019 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o (Post 15008563)
What was wrong with Schluppy..What injury did he sustain ?

Pulled muscle.

Stellavista 08-12-2019 02:33 PM

Not sure about him as a full-back, but it's obvious he is, technically, a decent player. Just not sure where he fits in, like Meyer. I suspect they will both make their mark elsewhere.

OneSize 08-12-2019 03:14 PM

Looked great on the ball and a couple of times set some attacks going with quick first time balls. Clearly not a left back though.

aj4england 08-12-2019 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SussexRed&Blue (Post 15008579)
From a previous fans forum event over a year ago I believe that Ray said that Technically he is one of the best players at the club but he was not busy enough. He also said that his best position is Centre Midfield.

At the moment there is loads of competition currently for that position in front of him.

For me for what I seen of them both , he should be ahead of McCarthy

LuieJack 08-12-2019 03:35 PM

Unfortunately he lacks the pace to be seen as a Left Back as he would be severly punished by someone with pace. The system we play it is hard to see him as anything but a sub, i always felt his best position would be like the old fashioned "sweeper" role.

Celestial Empire 08-12-2019 06:36 PM

Potter wanted to take him to Swansea, and if he is used against Brighton, he might be facing off against Connolly, and could be a good option. Potter won't underestimate him.

CP-RJW 08-12-2019 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuieJack (Post 15008963)
Unfortunately he lacks the pace to be seen as a Left Back as he would be severly punished by someone with pace. The system we play it is hard to see him as anything but a sub, i always felt his best position would be like the old fashioned "sweeper" role.

Is he really any slower than Wardy?

in-exile 08-12-2019 06:57 PM

Ward and Jimmy Mac both seem to have got some pace back this season.
Maybe Dann also.

Sick Bucket 08-12-2019 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE (Post 15007971)
We can't play through sides with passing. Look at the kind of goals we've scored all season and about the only goal we scored in which 4+ passes cut through a defence and a deliberate ball led to a finish was against Arsenal. I can't remember many goals that demonstrated the kind of technical enterprise that Watford showed in three or four moves that came within an ace of being a goal in today's match alone.

I'm not saying 'dominant' football. But an incisive passing move isn't too much to ask for, is it? I agree this is the best defence I can ever remember at Palace but one of the 'best technical sides' we've had? Are we really comparing what we have now with the slick football we played with Cabaye and RLC in the team, along with a fit Sakho? Today, we could barely string three passes together outside of our half and if this really is among our best technical sides we've put out, then that says a lot about us, considering Watford looked so much more accomplished in that department and are propping up the table.

Fair enough, I like that you came back with a reasoned argument and I take your point. I just didn't like the 'basic technical' comment, bit unfair, I think our first 11 are all pretty comfortable with the ball at their feet.

I think the real problem is not having a decent striker for years, if we had someone like AJ for example, I reckon Roy would be far more inclined to play Meyer. Not much point threading a beautiful, defence splitting pass through when you've got Benteke at the end of it.

LuieJack 08-12-2019 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 15009246)
Is he really any slower than Wardy?

Surely its clear to see! he could prove to be a good player given the opportunity and if played in the right position as he can read the game, but qickness is not his forte. As for Ward, i think you underestimate him he is a solid dependable defender who does a good job for Palace.

ANDYEAGLE 08-12-2019 10:58 PM

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/prem...cid=spartanntp

CP-RJW 08-12-2019 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuieJack (Post 15009463)
Surely its clear to see! he could prove to be a good player given the opportunity and if played in the right position as he can read the game, but qickness is not his forte. As for Ward, i think you underestimate him he is a solid dependable defender who does a good job for Palace.

I don’t underestimate Ward as a defender, he’s very good in that regard and always has been. But he’s slow these days. So I’m wondering how slow Jairo has to be if that’s the one thing preventing him from not being able to do a decent job at full back.

Timbo 09-12-2019 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuieJack (Post 15009463)

I haven't seen anything to suggest Jairo is EPL level. YouTube shows him making lots of left foot passes under no pressure but not much tackling or heading. Any evidence of quality out there?

moosey 09-12-2019 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo (Post 15009507)
I haven't seen anything to suggest Jairo is EPL level. YouTube shows him making lots of left foot passes under no pressure but not much tackling or heading. Any evidence of quality out there?

• Came on at the drop of a hat
  • Played in an unfamiliar position
  • Was up against a £30m winger (their club record signing)
  • Contributed to a clean-sheet as part of a make-shift defence
  • Hasn't got the dog's abuse from the BBS that PVA normally seems to get

Some of that at least suggests that he's not out of his depth, surely?

Zulu84 09-12-2019 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosey (Post 15009552)

Sometimes and for no apparent reason we are desperate for our own players to fail.

audreytatou 09-12-2019 08:47 AM

There's a player in there. Hope he gets a shot with us and builds some confidence.

Nostrils 09-12-2019 08:50 AM

Good piece in The Athletic.

If he can find that extra bit of intensity required for the PL he could be a fantastic player for us, I'd guess he's technically one of our best players.

Let's hope he grabs his opportunity by the scruff of the neck. Good luck Jairo!

switchboard 09-12-2019 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostrils (Post 15009621)

If he can find that extra bit of intensity required for the PL he could be a fantastic player for us, I'd guess he's technically one of our best players.

It's a shame we got knocked out the cup so early as it would be good to see him in central midfield as he seems like with a bit of work could be a replacement for Cabaye.

ianace 09-12-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostrils (Post 15009621)

Can we print the article out on here please?

Nostrils 09-12-2019 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by switchboard (Post 15009630)
It's a shame we got knocked out the cup so early as it would be good to see him in central midfield as he seems like with a bit of work could be a replacement for Cabaye.

Looks like he's gunna get his chance now, though he'll struggle to get in front of all the others in the centre imo. I think he's got great vision and has the potential to pick out that pass to set Wilf free while he's on the left.

Who knows though, after being on the sidelines and barely on the bench, at 23, he may now have that hunger to push him on. It's all in his hands I guess.

jcreedy 09-12-2019 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE (Post 15007971)
We can't play through sides with passing.

https://youtu.be/9_tDu3r8bCA?t=5
;)

Maidstoned Eagle 09-12-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianace (Post 15009632)

As its behind a paywall, we would have to rely on peoples generosity.

GreatGonzo 09-12-2019 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chateauferret (Post 15008192)
He did a couple but he also f***ed one up soon after coming on. Bit rusty I guess.

He played 1 header, softly into midfield for Wilf to pick it up and the commentators said it was a poor header, it was cushioned to a place a teammate was going to pick it up!

Nostrils 09-12-2019 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianace (Post 15009632)

I'm on my mobile atm, but will have a look when I get a chance if someone else doesn't do it before me.

Nostrils 09-12-2019 10:17 AM

Not sure if it's allowed, but I guess the mods will remove pretty sharpish if it's naughty (I should probably read the stickies)

Jairo Riedewald had been waiting for any kind of chance. A player who debuted for Ajax at 17, subsequently making his name in a side graced by Matthijs de Ligt and Frenkie de Jong, has been lost to development team football back at Beckenham for too long. He has had time to stew over those aborted moves, to Spain or Germany, or even south Wales, with the passage into the first team apparently too cluttered to be negotiated at his current employers. Now, though, his patience is about to be rewarded.
Against Brighton & Hove Albion next Monday, a game that means more than any other to these two clubs, Crystal Palace expect to lean on their forgotten man.
The last week has seen Patrick van Aanholt and Jeffrey Schlupp limp off the field with hamstring injuries, joining Joel Ward on the sidelines for the foreseeable future, to expose all those concerns from the summer about a lack of proper cover at full-back.
Riedewald was signed by Frank de Boer for £7.9 million in 2017 to play at centre-half on the left of a back three. His tidiest outings in the period since have actually come in defensive midfield, where he impressed with his anticipation and ability to read the game. But next week, with 45 minutes at Watford on Saturday having served as a taster, the likelihood is he will revert to left-back as he prepares to start a Premier League game for the first time since February 2018.
The 23-year-old, hair slightly longer and beard more opulent these days as if betraying his time marooned on the fringes, looked vaguely wide-eyed and uncomfortable back in the post-match media glare at Vicarage Road. He spoke diplomatically about giving his all and trying to impress in training, to catch the eye of the management staff, and of being “in a good place” and “very happy at this club”.
“I’m very versatile,” he offered. “Now, in December with some injuries to the squad and lots of games, hopefully there are more minutes for me.”
Things have not always been this positive. There have been plenty of occasions over the last two-and-a-half years when Riedewald, his career stalled, must have cursed his decision to move to England, or the ill luck which accompanied him to the Premier League. De Boer, who had handed him that Ajax debut in 2013, lasted only four games in charge. Injuries dropped the young Dutchman out of the reckoning while Roy Hodgson attempt to instigate a revival.
By the time he was fit to feature again, others had staked their claim ahead of him. This is a rugged team who have come to rely upon physically imposing and experienced centre-halves, or aggressive and industrious midfielders. Riedewald was the odd man out. A bit-part player capable of shackling Kevin de Bruyne impressively on his day, as he proved on New Year’s Eve in 2017, but an unlikely fit in a Hodgson selection when everyone else was available.
The manager had volunteered praise for the Holland international while speaking at a Crystal Palace Supporters’ Trust event late last month, veering off-piste in a discussion about his scant use of Max Meyer and Victor Camarasa to remind his audience that there is another gifted option on Palace’s books who has been neglected.
“Jairo’s a very, very talented player,” he said. “A player who could do well in many places. But the way he plays, the style he plays, unfortunately doesn’t enable him to get in with us in front of the likes of James McArthur, James McCarthy, Cheikh Kouyate or Luka Milivojevic — the people we rely upon to win us games.”
There have been opportunities to move on. He was not keen on leaving for Championship football with Swansea City as part of the deal that saw Jordan Ayew transfer permanently to Palace last summer, and unconvinced he would be granted the football he craves at Celta Vigo.
The newly promoted Bundesliga side, Paderborn, had hoped to secure him ahead of the closure of the transfer window and the player even travelled to Germany to undergo a medical and discuss personal terms. So impressed had they been with his quality on the ball that Paderborn intended to use him in a more advanced midfield role, even as a No 10, as they confronted their return to the top flight.
Yet Palace, conscious of Riedewald’s potential, were reluctant to sanction a permanent switch and, as their own efforts to add full-back recruits floundered, duly pulled the plug. They had seen Nathaniel Clyne, a player entering the final 12 months of his contract at Liverpool, damage knee ligaments playing against Borussia Dortmund in a pre-season friendly and been led up the garden path by Montpellier’s Ruben Aguilar and his representative before the player eventually joined Monaco. A loan move for Marcos Rojo at Manchester United was briefly discussed and dismissed. Riedewald, it turned out, might be needed after all.
The Dutchman was apparently left in tears as he was summoned back to Beckenham to resume training with Palace, the prospect of a fresh start dashed and, instead, an under-23s fixture against Leeds United to contemplate in the days ahead. Paderborn’s head of sport, Martin Przondziono, went public to suggest their interest could be revived mid-season – “Jairo is, and remains, an interesting player” – but his team are currently bottom of the Bundesliga and went into the weekend with just five points from 13 games. That move may seem rather less appealing now than it did back in August.
In truth, Riedewald has impressed in the period since. Not in terms of his first-team outings which, prior to Watford, had been limited to a stint at left-back as Palace slipped meekly out of the Carabao Cup on penalties to Colchester United of League Two in August. But certainly in terms of his attitude.
“Of course he’s been frustrated, but he’s been a superb professional,” Hodgson tells*The Athletic. “He comes in all the time, he gets on with his work, never ever complains. He doesn’t sulk or show he’s particularly unhappy. But of course he’s frustrated, as anyone would be.
“He was brought to the club by a previous manager and cost a fair amount of money by our standards. Of course, when you then don’t get a chance to play in the position you thought you were coming to play in, because the manager changes and (the new man) decides he wants other people, it must be frustrating. But I must take my hat off to him. He’s not allowed that to show. He’s a popular player with the others simply because he gets on with his work in a very quiet and meaningful way and today, when we had to ask him to step up to the plate, he did just that.”
There were some awkward moments against Watford when his positioning was exposed, particularly when the home side countered late in the game. Ismaila Sarr had subjected Schlupp to a torrid time in that first period with buccaneering runs down the Palace left.
Riedewald, rusty as he saw his first Premier League game-time since April 2018, found Sarr as much of a handful. But there was also class in possession, some useful forays forward – he was ahead of Wilfried Zaha on that wing at times – and actually offered much needed reassurance.
“He did exceptionally well,” adds Hodgson. “He was put to a fairly stern test. Sarr is remarkably fast – everyone knows that. He’s got Wilf Zaha-type pace. We did our best to double up and help Jairo, but there are always going to be moments when you can’t do that. But he’s an intelligent player. He reads the game very well. He uses the qualities that he has to good effect and, on several occasions today, I thought his composure and calmness on the ball were good. There’s no doubt he’ll relish the opportunity if he continues in that position.”
It is hard to see Palace having any other option.
Schlupp’s injury will be assessed in the days ahead, but the early prognosis is far from promising. Van Aanholt will not be ready for Monday night. The 20-year-old left-back, Tyrick Mitchell, is highly rated and impressed in pre-season, but he has only just returned from injury and has just 20 minutes of under-23s football to his name. He is not in a position to be thrown in against Brighton.
Instead, Riedewald’s time may have come. The opportunity is finally there to make his mark.
(Photo: Alex Pantling/Getty Images)

P.S. I'd recommend everyone to get The Athletic subscription, it works out less than getting a Sunday paper, but with none of the nonsense.

Archiebald Leitch 09-12-2019 10:20 AM

Thanks for copying that.

The author must have had dictionary pie for breakfast the day that was written.

CpfcLoz 09-12-2019 10:26 AM

fair play to him, he played well considering. hes defo ahead of the majority of of team technically. crazy how 3 of our most technically gifted players ( meyer, jairo and camarasa cant get in the team/squad.

Martin H 09-12-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostrils (Post 15009677)
Not sure if it's allowed, but I guess the mods will remove pretty sharpish if it's naughty (I should probably read the stickies)

Jairo Riedewald had been waiting for any kind of chance. A player who debuted for .......

As you say the Athletic is a good read and TBH good value. I am not a journalist nor have any links to Athletic or any media TBH but I suspect its best to link this stuff and/or maybe use a short extract to show why it's worth reading. I am not a bleeding heart about this but they rely on this stuff to make a living.

Before any one reminds me I realise that I am no doubt being hypocritical :) (SD etc. etc.) but hey at least I am trying :)

aj4england 09-12-2019 11:27 AM

Came on - had a good game. Not so good defensively when isolated 1 on 1, then again neither is Schlupp or PVA.

Happy Arthur 09-12-2019 11:33 AM

Being rusty as hell and having Sarr running at you isn't a great situation. Delighted we held on.

Nostrils 09-12-2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 15009721)
As you say the Athletic is a good read and TBH good value. I am not a journalist nor have any links to Athletic or any media TBH but I suspect its best to link this stuff and/or maybe use a short extract to show why it's worth reading. I am not a bleeding heart about this but they rely on this stuff to make a living.

Before any one reminds me I realise that I am no doubt being hypocritical :) (SD etc. etc.) but hey at least I am trying :)

Yes, I put the recommendation on at the end to help clear my conscience (although I meant every word). Also figured that it may actually be a good advertisement, a good piece on a subject that may convince other fans to subscribe.

glaziers fan 09-12-2019 12:35 PM

Athletic is always a cracking read.

Good luck to Jairo Riedewald. Streets ahead technically of our current first choice midfielders. Big game for him to come in against Brighton! (Hope Mitchell gets a chance in the FA Cup.)

CP-RJW 09-12-2019 12:37 PM

I feel for Jairo. The only reason he came to Palace was sacked in two months. I’m impressed by his attitude if years of playing with the u23s later he’s still up for proving himself and fighting for a place.

CP-RJW 09-12-2019 12:43 PM

Re the Athletic, there’s a 66% discount for a yearly subscription at the moment. £1.69 a month, £20.40 for the year. Absolute no brainer. https://theathletic.co.uk/checkout/?...SAAEgJ5t_D_BwE

eastend eagle 09-12-2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archiebald Leitch (Post 15009681)
Thanks for copying that.

The author must have had dictionary pie for breakfast the day that was written.

The copy is fine, it just reads more densely when not laid out properly.

Martin H 09-12-2019 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostrils (Post 15009749)
Yes, I put the recommendation on at the end to help clear my conscience (although I meant every word). Also figured that it may actually be a good advertisement, a good piece on a subject that may convince other fans to subscribe.

Yep - as I say, I am a hypocrite I know on this.

MFBias 09-12-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 15009721)

On the other hand it may encourage people to sign up. I wouldnt panic.

El Aguila 09-12-2019 01:59 PM

I can't really see Jairo as an option at left back for us. If he can improve his standing at the club while playing there, it will certainly mean he's got something worth having. But really in this team he has to be a defensive midfielder, or a centre back in a crisis.

Timbo 09-12-2019 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosey (Post 15009552)

Thanks for the positive reply Moosey. The article and varying comments are also interesting, and I hope someone can find some videos showing his attributes and technical skills

switchboard 09-12-2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Aguila (Post 15009930)
I can't really see Jairo as an option at left back for us. If he can improve his standing at the club while playing there, it will certainly mean he's got something worth having. But really in this team he has to be a defensive midfielder, or a centre back in a crisis.

Who else is an option with Kelly filling in at right back?

El Aguila 09-12-2019 03:01 PM

I mean, longer term.

hdeagle 09-12-2019 03:24 PM

Roy is full of praise for Jairo and how well he stepped in on Saturday when called upon has impressed him.

On that showing he deserves a chance at first team level.

COYP

MFBias 09-12-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Aguila (Post 15009930)

Shall we start writing him off after he has started a game there?

hdeagle 09-12-2019 03:51 PM

Far too many of our fans criticise our own players.

COYP

El Aguila 09-12-2019 03:52 PM

I see no profit in breaking the habits of a lifetime.

Happy Arthur 09-12-2019 05:13 PM

Man u buy him for 50m in 12 months ; )

I love Roy but the only time we see new players is in an injury crisis.

DARZET EAGLE 09-12-2019 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Arthur (Post 15010164)
Man u buy him for 50m in 12 months ; )

I love Roy but the only time we see new players is in an injury crisis.

I guess that's the idea of a squad.

Happy Arthur 10-12-2019 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DARZET EAGLE (Post 15010663)
I guess that's the idea of a squad.

I'm not sure you just have a squad for an injury crisis..

burgess hill 84 10-12-2019 08:16 AM

I thought he did okay when he came on, nothing more nothing less, apart from that i wouldn't start him unless we really had to.

Stavros 69 10-12-2019 08:31 AM

Let’s face it, he’s a CB.
If he was mobile enough he’d be a good holding MF but he hasn’t kicked on enough to play there in this league.

mushroom 10-12-2019 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 15010814)
If he was mobile enough he’d be a good holding MF but he hasn’t kicked on enough to play there in this league.

When Mark Bright used to commentate on u23s, he pretty much said the same... he said he doesn’t work hard enough without the ball to play midfield, and RH had told him that.

AJ 10-12-2019 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroom (Post 15010819)
When Mark Bright used to commentate on u23s, he pretty much said the same... he said he doesn’t work hard enough without the ball to play midfield, and RH had told him that.

That may be true but nearly all his balls passed forward went to a Palace player. If that is his norm, then I feel the club should be finding a way to play him. PvA's distribution of the ball is appalling and time after time he loses possession by passing to the opposition.

Martin H 10-12-2019 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroom (Post 15010819)

Got the impression that with Luka in the DM slot he needed to get up and down the pitch more often to start, that and improve his intensity. Both he and Roy have said he is a good trainer so he's not simply lazy/bone idle. You can see he is quite a laid back character though. Having seen Billing a few times now I think there are a lot of similarities between them in playing style.

mushroom 10-12-2019 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ (Post 15010917)
That may be true but nearly all his balls passed forward went to a Palace player. If that is his norm, then I feel the club should be finding a way to play him. PvA's distribution of the ball is appalling and time after time he loses possession by passing to the opposition.

I don’t think it’s that simple. I think JR has a good eye for a pass... but I think at Left Back he would get exposed over a season. For me... he is rightly 3rd choice (behind PVA/Jeff). He needs to improve athletically, we aren’t a possession based team, so he needs to be better suited to when we don’t have the ball. There’s a player in there...but he needs to understand what RH wants from a player

Jman 10-12-2019 04:21 PM

He doesn't have much pace, but neither do Ward or Kelly. As others have said he can do a job for now.

Johnsonpen 10-12-2019 05:54 PM

Thought he looked trimmer. Was one of the top passers in the Dutch league

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 10-12-2019 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jman (Post 15011186)
He doesn't have much pace, but neither do Ward or Kelly. As others have said he can do a job for now.

Poor in the air compared to them both. Of course its less of an issue at full back but I would rather we didn't have to use him at full back for very long. Would concern me.

Chillo 10-12-2019 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroom (Post 15011096)
There’s a player in there...but he needs to understand what RH wants from a player

I kinda thought he might have worked that out for himself/been shown what he needed to do over the past 18 months, or is that asking too much?

palace_burger 11-12-2019 05:15 AM

With Mitchell injured who would play left back if JR were to get injured

thomasbroad 11-12-2019 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palace_burger (Post 15011633)

Kelly LB.
Tomkins RB
Kouyate CB

Would be my guess!

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 11-12-2019 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 15010814)

He was so bad when he played centre back for us though. If he is a centre back he has no chance of making it in the Premier League.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 11-12-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ (Post 15010917)

PVA is a far better full back than Jairo. Not even close.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 11-12-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroom (Post 15011096)
I don’t think it’s that simple. I think JR has a good eye for a pass... but I think at Left Back he would get exposed over a season. For me... he is rightly 3rd choice (behind PVA/Jeff). He needs to improve athletically, we aren’t a possession based team, so he needs to be better suited to when we don’t have the ball. There’s a player in there...but he needs to understand what RH wants from a player

Suspect Mitchell might be ahead of him in the pecking order if/ when he is up to full fitness.

If Kelly wasn't playing right back he would probably play there ahead of Jairo too.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 11-12-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palace_burger (Post 15011633)

I thought he was fit again now. Albeit only a few minutes, I thought he made a return to action a week or so back?

AJ 11-12-2019 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 15011870)
PVA is a far better full back than Jairo. Not even close.

Worst passer in the team though and constantly losses his man. PvA is not really a full back imo, more of a wing back.

cockles 11-12-2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostrils (Post 15009677)
Paderborn, ....
Yet Palace, conscious of Riedewald’s potential, were reluctant to sanction a permanent switch and, as their own efforts to add full-back recruits floundered, duly pulled the plug.

I hope this is true actually. I'm fair sure I read an interview with the Paderborn director suggesting the player had backed out. That would look really bad on the player, so I prefer this version of events to be true.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 11-12-2019 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ (Post 15011880)
Worst passer in the team though and constantly losses his man. PvA is not really a full back imo, more of a wing back.

Disagree about him being the worst passer. He tries to break the lines far more often than most of our players and takes risks with the ball.

He is definitely a full back and has played almost all his football as a full back. Far more effective coming from that deep position.

mushroom 11-12-2019 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 15011873)
Suspect Mitchell might be ahead of him in the pecking order if/ when he is up to full fitness.

If Kelly wasn't playing right back he would probably play there ahead of Jairo too.

Mitchell looked a prospect, I think Ward will play left back before Kelly. I’d love Mitchell get a run out v Derby.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 11-12-2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroom (Post 15012091)
Mitchell looked a prospect, I think Ward will play left back before Kelly. I’d love Mitchell get a run out v Derby.

You might be right re. Ward playing there before Kelly.

gilesy14 12-12-2019 01:44 PM

Got a chant we should maybe try on Monday?

Jairo,
Ohhhhhhhh,
Jairo,
Ohhhhhhhh,
He came from Ajax,
To stop Dunk’s sex attacks.

& repeat for 90 mins?

aj4england 12-12-2019 03:15 PM

Pass the Jairo to the left hand side?

Hedgehog 12-12-2019 04:02 PM

Interesting that in the Brandon Pierrick interview on Palace TV, he list Jairo as one of the first teamers who has helped him while training with the first team.

TennesseeKing 12-12-2019 04:10 PM

Big opportunity for him with Schlupp out, will he take it?

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 12-12-2019 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennesseeKing (Post 15013335)
Big opportunity for him with Schlupp out, will he take it?

Would much rather Mitchell is given the chance if he is fit enough.

Hedgehog 12-12-2019 05:52 PM

I'm not sure it's a given he will start at left back Monday. I have a feeling that last Saturday there was little time to digest the problem at half time and was the quick fix.

The management team might have a different approached with the time to think of a plan B.

I hope I'm wrong, as I would like to see what Jairo can do there providing he doesn't screw up too bad!

CP-RJW 12-12-2019 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 15013470)
Would much rather Mitchell is given the chance if he is fit enough.

Has Mitchell been impressing in training, pocketing Wilf like AWB was? If so, give him a chance. If not, I think it’s best to give it to the former Ajax and Dutch international player who’s played left back before.

chateauferret 12-12-2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 15013482)
Has Mitchell been impressing in training, pocketing Wilf like AWB was? If so, give him a chance. If not, I think it’s best to give it to the former Ajax and Dutch international player who’s played left back before.

Wan-Bissaka may have had Wilf in his pocket in training but he certainly didn't at Old Trafford.