CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

MFBias 29-08-2017 12:05 AM

I would rather try to recoup the money on Van Aanholt and keep Rieldwald/Schlupp for left back.

There is something attitude wise I dont like about Van Aanholt, he looks like he is very arrogant, add to that he hasnt played that great for us and I prefere Schlupp.

Kai 29-08-2017 04:58 AM

Don't judge the guy on one game. He was probably nervous as he'll and found himself out of his depth. Give him some time

ianace 29-08-2017 07:12 AM

A Dutch friend of mine asked why we signed him at the time?
He said that He wasn't nearly the best defender in Holland & was slow.
He also added that Ajax couldn't believe how much money we were prepared to pay for him!

Stuart Austen 29-08-2017 07:33 AM

I was just on holiday in Holland. I was watching a football magazine show with my wife's uncle and they were discussing why FDB signed Riedewald. It translated that none of the panel could understand why FDB would go for the player when there were much better options in the Erevidise

Riley 29-08-2017 07:39 AM

Where did you get £13m from?

BBK 29-08-2017 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riley (Post 13809598)
Where did you get £13m from?

Yeah it was under 8m.

Hector 29-08-2017 08:08 AM

Will we ever see him play again? If De Boer goes then I don't see it....miles off being ready.

Eagle Kneevil 29-08-2017 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaspercpfc (Post 13807833)
he'll turn out to be 2017's equivalent of Valérien Ismaël and then surprise us all by end up playing for Bayern Munich.

Or 2017's Zeki Fryers.

henryhallandhisbasque 29-08-2017 08:14 AM

£8m is a lot of money. You get in the mindset that these massive transactions are just Monopoly money, but somebody, somewhere is paying for them with the real stuff. If de Boer does leave early, chances are his replacement won't want this player. Then what? Back to Holland on the cheap for half of what was paid at best? Who makes up the several millions lost? How much longer can a club like ours keep making potential big mistakes like this and losing millions because of it? There must be some payback point eventually - one that will be very hard for a club like Palace to recover from.

aj4england 29-08-2017 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MFBias (Post 13809413)
I would rather try to recoup the money on Van Aanholt and keep Rieldwald/Schlupp for left back.

There is something attitude wise I dont like about Van Aanholt, he looks like he is very arrogant, add to that he hasnt played that great for us and I prefere Schlupp.

Decent shout

Thefunkymonk 29-08-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gyro1780 (Post 13807947)
He's only played one game & you all want rid already :jerkit: :clown:

This. He's a good player

NickinOx 29-08-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Yes.

Jon_C-Pal 29-08-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Plus the fact Soure is nearing fitness, who may not be the best defensively I think he's better than PVA.

Codman Haddock 29-08-2017 12:05 PM

Van Aanholt is simply shocking defensively. Schlupp provides a far more solid option and with Souare in frame too, we have enough there. Money received could be reinvested elsewhere....if we can find someone who would take him..

Mr Palace 29-08-2017 12:22 PM

I'd happily sell PvA and keep souare and Schlupp, with Riedewald also an option there. The trouble is - no one will probably pay what we did for PvA.

Martin H 29-08-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk (Post 13810176)
This. He's a good player

This

AJ 29-08-2017 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codman Haddock (Post 13810223)
Van Aanholt is simply shocking defensively. Schlupp provides a far more solid option and with Souare in frame too, we have enough there. Money received could be reinvested elsewhere....if we can find someone who would take him..

I have to agree. He maybe better in a flat back 4, yet BFS preferred Shlupp in that position last season, which says a lot.

Sceagle 29-08-2017 12:43 PM

Quote:

Why would we sell a left back? If one gets injured...

Sceagle 29-08-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon_C-Pal (Post 13810186)
Plus the fact Soure is nearing fitness, who may not be the best defensively I think he's better than PVA.

Souare won't be match fit for a long long time

Mad Raschic Ken 29-08-2017 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sceagle (Post 13810342)
Souare won't be match fit for a long long time

He's playing for the U23s today, so maybe not too far away.

Kidofwonder 29-08-2017 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Raschic Ken (Post 13810373)

at least 6 weeks and thats if today goes well.Tomorrow morning will be when he'll know.

Mad Raschic Ken 29-08-2017 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kidofwonder (Post 13810378)
at least 6 weeks and thats if today goes well.Tomorrow morning will be when he'll know.

Sure - we shouldn't rush him back, but six weeks isn't that long in the great scheme of things. Let's hope he comes through today's game ok.

aj4england 29-08-2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Raschic Ken (Post 13810381)
Sure - we shouldn't rush him back, but six weeks isn't that long in the great scheme of things. Let's hope he comes through today's game ok.

Considering we don't have a game for 2 weeks!

Sceagle 29-08-2017 01:05 PM

Quote:

I'd say it's still a big risk and I'm fed up with the club taking risks. They nearly always come back to bite us.

MFBias 29-08-2017 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sceagle (Post 13810339)
Why would we sell a left back? If one gets injured...

As we now have 3 (Schlupp, Riedewald and Van Aanholt) that can play there with one returning to fitness (Souare)

I feel we have cover there, and I dont really like Van Aanholt sonwould welcome the money.

TouchyAndalou 29-08-2017 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Raschic Ken (Post 13807510)
If there is any truth in the FDB rumours, where would that leave Jairo Riedewald? After a poor debut, could he go the same way as Marange a few years ago?

Marange was free transfer and represented limited value, i.e. was never somebody we were going to sell on. Riedewald cost nearly 10million, is young and has potential. Depending on who the new manager is though (in a scenario where FDB gets sales this season) he may be pushed towards going out on loan.

Martin H 29-08-2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

awesome. TBH he is a way better option than PVA for me and if we do stick with 3 CBs I would think we will see the best of him at LWB. He had to learn how to play as a LB as part of a 4 when he arrived and it took him a while. I assumed back then he had been a wingback and he played that for his country in the African nations

Mad Raschic Ken 29-08-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TouchyAndalou (Post 13810621)
Marange was free transfer and represented limited value, i.e. was never somebody we were going to sell on. Riedewald cost nearly 10million, is young and has potential. Depending on who the new manager is though (in a scenario where FDB gets sales this season) he may be pushed towards going out on loan.

My link to the Marange situation was more about whether he might disappear quickly back out of the club without really featuring for us. Obviously this is a different situation and I hope it doesn't happen, because I agree that he is a young player with potential. If the story that FDB has clung on to his role for the time being at least are true, it's all academic anyway.

Martin H 29-08-2017 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sceagle (Post 13810401)
I'd say it's still a big risk and I'm fed up with the club taking risks. They nearly always come back to bite us.

I have never quite understood why everyone has been so gloomy about the injury prognosis and less so during recovery because he has always seemed ahead of schedule. To the point I was amazed when I saw him running about as easily/comfortably (to the eye)

Do you know why everyone was so worried?

Obviously on day 1 you would be but later as the injury was understood?

I just wondered if maybe he goes back to the training room and is in agony or something but it doesn't look like that. He seems to have a strong and balanced mentality which must help.

Sceagle 29-08-2017 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MFBias (Post 13810517)
As we now have 3 (Schlupp, Riedewald and Van Aanholt) that can play there with one returning to fitness (Souare)

I feel we have cover there, and I dont really like Van Aanholt sonwould welcome the money.

Hmm fair point

Stellavista 29-08-2017 05:38 PM

I do wonder if any sort of serious analysis was done on this player, or whether he was an initial sweetener for Frank. Admittedly, haven't seen much of him yet, but he didn't impress me for an 8m pound player. Did we pay heavily over the odds? I have no idea.

New LP 29-08-2017 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 13811171)
I do wonder if any sort of serious analysis was done on this player, or whether he was an initial sweetener for Frank. Admittedly, haven't seen much of him yet, but he didn't impress of an 8m pound player. Did we pay heavily over the odds? I have no idea.

I wonder if any serious analysis was done on FDB himself? Was real thought given to the style of play he is wedded to? How this would be feasible at Palace. His signings are an extension of this.

Martin H 29-08-2017 05:58 PM

Quote:

I do wonder if any sort of serious analysis was done on this player, or whether he was an initial sweetener for Frank. Admittedly, haven't seen much of him yet, but he didn't impress me for an 8m pound player. Did we pay heavily over the odds? I have no idea.

I don't think you can judge much based on his first 90 mins.

All second hand but I 'believe' he was genuinely being flagged not so long ago as the next big thing to come from Ajax. He turns 21 in a couple of weeks and has played 92 times for Ajax following his debut at 18/19? and represented Holland at all levels including 3 games for the senior team. He is comfortable at LCB, LB or DM and is known for being accurate and creative from deep positions making inch perfect long passes (weird that because the BBS says they don't ever pass it long in Holland).

He got injured and had a longish spell out I think which lost his place and so on and we have picked him up at that point.

I think we owe him some patience and can imagine he will not be feeling that great having been booed in his first full match for the club.

edit - I also have 'inside information' that he is going to be awesome for us, probably in midfield at first and then CB later where he will Captain us until he 39.

Krise 01-09-2017 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart Austen (Post 13809588)
I was just on holiday in Holland. I was watching a football magazine show with my wife's uncle and they were discussing why FDB signed Riedewald. It translated that none of the panel could understand why FDB would go for the player when there were much better options in the Erevidise

Perhaps because he has massive potential, for the future? Ajax have a brilliant new talented centre back at 18 years old, Matthijs de Ligt https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthijs_de_Ligt That's why they were prepared to let Riedewald go.

exiledeagle 05-09-2017 06:40 PM

Just looking at a clip from his time at Ajax . What I noticed not just about Jairo , but Ajax as a team , was how slow and lack of intensity they had . Reminded me of Swansea first half where there were so many sideway / backward passes . Yes this is just a 6 minute clip , but I hope that if FDB stays our possession football has a bit more intensity and purpose .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vihhlqqjuE

Jim Cannon 05-09-2017 06:45 PM

Quote:

Trouble is 8M doesn't get you much anyway now. He still may be overpriced but just saying, 8M isn't much now

Garfy 05-09-2017 07:10 PM

I'm going to stick my head out and say one day he will prove his quality. To be written off after just one game is crazy.

Stockport_Eagle 05-09-2017 07:49 PM

Signs for Spurs page 403 - £26.5m

CharlieCPFC 05-09-2017 07:51 PM

Hell thrive more as a CDM in my opinion for now while he's developing phsycically.

TheCharmer1 05-09-2017 08:20 PM

Next to sackho he ll thrive. Dann and Tomkins are both mute

Dave Hedgehog 05-09-2017 08:25 PM

It's absolutely insane that anybody would write this guy off after one game, in a new 'foreign' league, in a formation that the entire team has struggled with and at the age of 20.

jmemour 05-09-2017 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCharmer1 (Post 13827305)

Hard to see us playing two left-footed centre backs. People are saying he'll play well at CDM but I can't see him getting a game there, central midfield is the one position we're very well stocked in. Looks like the Sakho signing means we've written this one off after one game. Depressing really, and feel for the lad if that's the case.

Benzhiyi 05-09-2017 08:26 PM

Quote:

I dunno… very rare you see two left-footed CBs succeed together at Prem level.

Lord knows why, given you see plenty of all-right-footed pairings.

Golf Boy 05-09-2017 08:28 PM

Is he 3 million better than Mutch?

MrBling 05-09-2017 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Hedgehog (Post 13827313)
It's absolutely insane that anybody would write this guy off after one game, in a new 'foreign' league, in a formation that the entire team has struggled with and at the age of 20.

Absolutely agree, one game!! I actually despair with some of the posts on here now days, and just thank my lucky stars that the BBS and social media didn't exist when a certain Ian Wright starting playing for us, can you imagine the comments when he took those first sixteen games,all be it mostly as a sub, to score his first goal for us?

Martin H 05-09-2017 08:38 PM

Quite keen to see what Jairo can do in midfield at some point as DM. Paired off alongside Cabaye or Luka he would bring balance but apparently makes a good creative pass from there.

CharlieCPFC 05-09-2017 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmemour (Post 13827315)
Hard to see us playing two left-footed centre backs. People are saying he'll play well at CDM but I can't see him getting a game there, central midfield is the one position we're very well stocked in. Looks like the Sakho signing means we've written this one off after one game. Depressing really, and feel for the lad if that's the case.

Luka will be in front of him all day long and rightly so. But he adds good cover and versatility to the squad.

Green Bin 05-09-2017 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemorris04 (Post 13800909)
He was woeful against Huddersfield and made no attempt to defend the first goal, proper schoolboy stuff. I have seen videos of him at Ajax which seem to also suggest he has very little defensive abilities.

Even if he becomes average which I think is the best we can hope for, it is still an awful signing. If we only had 8m it should have gone on a decent keeper or a striker.

Who would that have been then...Niasse was going to cost us £10m ish?

...it's nice isn't, how you have justed started in a new job, in a new country, with colleagues you barely know, working to a new system, under immense pressure, and basically after one day you have all these people shouting from the sidelines that you're crap.

I bet most of these so-called fans writing players off before they've got started were excellent at what they were doing in the first days of their new job- not. Unbelieveable! This is the mentality that drives football these days

bodger 05-09-2017 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golf Boy (Post 13827317)

Well we cant even give Mutch away. Reidwald has not had enough game time to judge him i sure would not let him go for 3m until he has.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 05-09-2017 09:06 PM

Quote:

Doubt he'll play alongside Sakho unless we continue with a back 3 (which most people think is unlikely). I guess he could play as full-back but not convinced he would get in ahead of the other 3 options for that position.

Mr Palace 05-09-2017 09:16 PM

It's crazy to criticise him - he's a young talent and hopefully will be a real asset for us. He will need time to adapt.

However, what is undoubtedly true is that the £8m and wages would have been much better spent on a striker or keeper.

AJ 05-09-2017 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Palace (Post 13827433)
It's crazy to criticise him - he's a young talent and hopefully will be a real asset for us. He will need time to adapt.

However, what is undoubtedly true is that the £8m and wages would have been much better spent on a striker or keeper.

Probably get a lge1 striker for 8m these days!

orp pisshead1 05-09-2017 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 13827343)
Quite keen to see what Jairo can do in midfield at some point as DM. Paired off alongside Cabaye or Luka he would bring balance but apparently makes a good creative pass from there.

Put him next to Luka on Sunday and move Cabaye further forward:p

DARZET EAGLE 05-09-2017 09:46 PM

Rediculous to be critical after just one game. Patience is a virtue, he will prove the doubters wrong.

cooperman 05-09-2017 09:59 PM

Classic example of a young player with no experience of the intensity of the premier league being thrown into the deep end against a highly effective, physical and organised opposition with very little cover provided by PVA in front - straight away you could see the confidence drain away as Huddersfield played a high press and Hennessey offered passes that put him into pressure situations - I'm not saying, he's perfect, I'm not saying he should be first choice - I'm not even saying he will definitely make the transition from Dutch football to probably the most competitive league in the world but writing him off after a game is ludicrous....

Mr Palace 05-09-2017 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ (Post 13827439)
Probably get a lge1 striker for 8m these days!

That was close to the Niasse fee though and he would have been much better for the squad in terms of overall balance.

Part of the problem is FDB wasted a loan on TFM. Good player though the latter looks, we should have used that premier league loan spot for a forward.

gman28 05-09-2017 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golf Boy (Post 13827317)

Can't even believe you said that after one game. Fool!

Martin H 05-09-2017 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Palace (Post 13827526)
That was close to the Niasse fee though and he would have been much better for the squad in terms of overall balance.

Part of the problem is FDB wasted a loan on TFM. Good player though the latter looks, we should have used that premier league loan spot for a forward.

Not sure I agree with this. Timbo looks like an outstanding player as does Loftus Cheek. I am not sure who we would have loaned and how likely a Premier quality goal scorer would be made available. We couldn't take Abrahams and Reuben and TBH I suspect Reuben is the better player. Not sure who else was available. We should have bought a striker or loaned from abroad. The fault isn't FDB's.

I do think everything now is being placed on FDB's shoulders now which is very convenient for the rest but is surely taking things too far. The only reason we don't have a striker is because they targeted a striker that they couldn't get over the line.

Ooh Betty 06-09-2017 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 13827553)
The only reason we don't have a striker is because they targeted a striker that they couldn't get over the line.

We only targetted one striker?

I would suggest another reason ' Complete bloody incompetence'

Mr Palace 06-09-2017 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 13827553)
Not sure I agree with this. Timbo looks like an outstanding player as does Loftus Cheek. I am not sure who we would have loaned and how likely a Premier quality goal scorer would be made available. We couldn't take Abrahams and Reuben and TBH I suspect Reuben is the better player. Not sure who else was available. We should have bought a striker or loaned from abroad. The fault isn't FDB's.

I do think everything now is being placed on FDB's shoulders now which is very convenient for the rest but is surely taking things too far. The only reason we don't have a striker is because they targeted a striker that they couldn't get over the line.

Strong rumours that the club were annoyed that FDB insisted on TMF as a loan, which restricted our options in getting a striker on loan. This is nothing against TMF who looks a real prospect.

We have massively screwed up in not signing a striker - it's a joke. We have known for months that Remy would go back to Chelsea, that we were going to release Campbell and that Wickham would miss the first few months of the season. That we left our pursuit of a striker until the last minute - as evidenced by the deals we were trying to get done for the Turkish striker and then when that fell through Niasse - reflects very badly on the club, not necessarily FDB. No other PL club has one striker. It's madness.

The thing I can't wrap my head around is that we only made four signings and three were defenders. You really couldn't make it up. The squad is badly imbalanced. But that's not all FDB's fault.

Hector 06-09-2017 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Palace (Post 13827433)

In 6 months Reidewald will be a decent player right now he looked lightweight and too small for a centre back. How he gets on with a new manager will decide whether he has a future at Palace. But agree 8m would have been better spent in other areas.

glaziers fan 06-09-2017 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 13827343)

Absolutely. Would love to see him playing left side of the 3 in midfield. Hoping with Sakho signed that we will get to see this. He's 6ft, can tackle and pass. Hoping he takes Puncheon's place. :angel:

elgin eagle 06-09-2017 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperman (Post 13827518)
Classic example of a young player with no experience of the intensity of the premier league being thrown into the deep end against a highly effective, physical and organised opposition with very little cover provided by PVA in front - straight away you could see the confidence drain away as Huddersfield played a high press and Hennessey offered passes that put him into pressure situations - I'm not saying, he's perfect, I'm not saying he should be first choice - I'm not even saying he will definitely make the transition from Dutch football to probably the most competitive league in the world but writing him off after a game is ludicrous....

Sensible post. He played fine in the pre season matches. Huddersfield were tactically spot on in their approach to that match, probably because they have a manager.

Mr Palace 06-09-2017 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hector (Post 13827747)
In 6 months Reidewald will be a decent player right now he looked lightweight and too small for a centre back. How he gets on with a new manager will decide whether he has a future at Palace. But agree 8m would have been better spent in other areas.

That's my view - he will be a good player I'm sure, but the squad needed strengthening more elsewhere and that money could have been better deployed. Nothing against Riedewald though.

bodger 06-09-2017 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Palace (Post 13827526)

But who is out there that we could have loaned. We needed a quick r/b-c/b FM is not a waste Kelly is not good enough. Niasse was a last gasp punt if we were that keen on him it would have been sorted. Shane Long would be my target in the next window. At least the door is open for Ladapo or another youth player i would like to see a few in the Huddersfield game.

Mr Palace 06-09-2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bodger (Post 13827881)
But who is out there that we could have loaned. We needed a quick r/b-c/b FM is not a waste Kelly is not good enough. Niasse was a last gasp punt if we were that keen on him it would have been sorted. Shane Long would be my target in the next window. At least the door is open for Ladapo or another youth player i would like to see a few in the Huddersfield game.

We had the whole summer and the back end of last year to scout this position. Are you honestly saying that our scouting network could not have identified a shortlist of strikers that were realistic? We could have signed Niasse weeks ago if we wanted to. To be left with one striker is a failure by the club.

red&blue_moomin 08-09-2017 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Palace (Post 13827796)
That's my view - he will be a good player I'm sure, but the squad needed strengthening more elsewhere and that money could have been better deployed. Nothing against Riedewald though.

Ward, Kelly and Damo are all not good enough. 21 months of hopeless defending under three different managers should show that. As squad players sure but not first choice players they should be second or third choices now.

GorBlimey 08-09-2017 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Palace (Post 13827952)
We had the whole summer and the back end of last year to scout this position. Are you honestly saying that our scouting network could not have identified a shortlist of strikers that were realistic? We could have signed Niasse weeks ago if we wanted to. To be left with one striker is a failure by the club.

Niasse would have been another Fraizer Campbell and you and people like you would have been calling him shit and the club shit for signing him.

Now you have to be content with calling the club shit because we didn't sign him.

We're not going to be turned over in the transfer market and thank god for that.

Zulu84 08-09-2017 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GorBlimey (Post 13830131)
Niasse would have been another Fraizer Campbell and you and people like you would have been calling him shit and the club shit for signing him.

Now you have to be content with calling the club shit because we didn't sign him.

We're not going to be turned over in the transfer market and thank god for that.

8 million for him was hardly being turned over. We set ourselves up (yet again) for failure by releasing Campbell without a clear plan to replace him. And you can't really blame people for being upset about it, we have struggled for 4 years now to have an adequate striker lineup, lessons aren't being learned which is pretty frustrating.

GorBlimey 08-09-2017 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zulu84 (Post 13830133)
8 million for him was hardly being turned over. We set ourselves up (yet again) for failure by releasing Campbell without a clear plan to replace him. And you can't really blame people for being upset about it, we have struggled for 4 years now to have an adequate striker lineup, lessons aren't being learned which is pretty frustrating.

I'm glad you've got a spare £8million down the back of the sofa. It wasn't so much the transfer fee that it didn't happen anyway but his agent trying to screw us for a large "commission".

I'm glad we told them all to f*ck off and that we'll soldier on without him and his greedy prick of an agent.

Bones14 08-09-2017 06:34 AM

How's young JR going??

PS: **** off with all the other crap. There's plenty of threads to promote your feelings about everything else. This is JR's thread. If u have nothing to add about him then go forth and multiply.

Please.

Happy Arthur 08-09-2017 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red&blue_moomin (Post 13830124)
Ward, Kelly and Damo are all not good enough. 21 months of hopeless defending under three different managers should show that. As squad players sure but not first choice players they should be second or third choices now.

Eh. Ward aside they are???

What's the issue?

Mr Palace 08-09-2017 07:03 AM

Quote:

You talk a lot of nonsense. We have NO second striker - how is that a positive thing? Niasse wouldn't have set the world alight but he did well at Hull and would have been a useful option. Regardless of him we should have signed a striker - it should be so f**king obvious, even to someone like you.

Mr Palace 08-09-2017 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red&blue_moomin (Post 13830124)

They are fine as back ups - apart from Damo these days. The squad is very imbalanced. We didn't need to sign so many defenders over a keeper and striker.

DARZET EAGLE 08-09-2017 09:33 AM

Quote:

:p

Nigelbrag 08-09-2017 09:50 AM

As far as making judgement on Riedewald is concerned it is unfair and impossible at this time, also the question has be will we see the best of him should FdB leave.
At this moment it is right that he is not being picked whether fit or not as the boy is being exposed in this current lineup, personally i feel at this moment he has Not shown the quality i was expecting. But also i can't make up my mind as to what his most effective position could be, as defensively he looks suspect and is no speedster, so could it be as a Sweeper in front of a Back Three if we persist with that may be more in keeping with his style.
However in fairness to him he has barely played, what is it 3 games in total? so how can anybody really make judgement.
The same applies to Frank de Boer.

BillyTKid 08-09-2017 10:00 AM

I bet he looks a much better player once the beast soldier is playing alongside him.

Zulu84 08-09-2017 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GorBlimey (Post 13830141)
I'm glad you've got a spare £8million down the back of the sofa. It wasn't so much the transfer fee that it didn't happen anyway but his agent trying to screw us for a large "commission".

I'm glad we told them all to f*ck off and that we'll soldier on without him and his greedy prick of an agent.

Mate when the club waits for the last 12 hours to try to finally bring in a striker they are asking to get taken for a ride and don't kid yourself, we waited until then because we were trying to get a cut price deal and it blew up in our faces. So yea woo-hoo to us, we really showed the agents who's boss by completely screwing ourselves.

WorthingEagle 08-09-2017 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zulu84 (Post 13830458)
Mate when the club waits for the last 12 hours to try to finally bring in a striker they are asking to get taken for a ride and don't kid yourself, we waited until then because we were trying to get a cut price deal and it blew up in our faces. So yea woo-hoo to us, we really showed the agents who's boss by completely screwing ourselves.

Yep, waiting until the last minute works if you're fairly well-stocked and just looking to pick up a nice-to-have. Everyone knew exactly how desperate we were and jacked up the prices accordingly.

glaziers fan 08-09-2017 10:59 AM

Back to JR, I like him. It's just he's not a centre back - he's a centre mid. (And unless he fills out and improves in the air he will never be a Premier League centre back.) Would I play him instead of Puncheon? Well, he's better in the air, better in the tackle and better passer. So, yes, definitely.

Yogya 08-09-2017 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glaziers fan (Post 13830467)
Back to JR, I like him. It's just he's not a centre back - he's a centre mid. (And unless he fills out and improves in the air he will never be a Premier League centre back.) Would I play him instead of Puncheon? Well, he's better in the air, better in the tackle and better passer. So, yes, definitely.

That is quiet an assessment based on one game.

Martin H 08-09-2017 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yogya (Post 13830677)

How different is it than those that have completely written him off after that same single game? Sounds about par for the course.

glaziers fan 08-09-2017 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yogya (Post 13830677)

Let's see if I'm right :angel:

beef 08-09-2017 02:30 PM

So he's our new Tom Soares?

exiledeagle 08-09-2017 02:30 PM

Quote:

But the club wanted to sign him ( albeit leaving it too late ) . So are you saying FDB wanted to buy another Campbell ( your words )

cowlin87 08-09-2017 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 13830695)
How different is it than those that have completely written him off after that same single game? Sounds about par for the course.

A great point. There seems to be a whole load of extreme opinions. JR has talent and has the ability to do well. Whether he makes it at palace is a different matter and time will tell

GorBlimey 08-09-2017 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exiledeagle (Post 13830756)
But the club wanted to sign him ( albeit leaving it too late ) . So are you saying FDB wanted to buy another Campbell ( your words )

We don't know who wanted him.

Shipp Ahoy! 08-09-2017 09:58 PM

Just played in the Europa League final ffs!

But sure, must be an awful player after one game he turned out injured immediately after...

WorthingEagle 08-09-2017 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shipp Ahoy! (Post 13831249)
Just played in the Europa League final ffs!

But sure, must be an awful player after one game he turned out injured immediately after...

I don't think anyone's saying he's a poor player. Whether or not he's suited to the Premier League is another matter. He's going to have to toughen up both physically and mentally sharpish.

Martin H 08-09-2017 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorthingEagle (Post 13831254)
I don't think anyone's saying he's a poor player. Whether or not he's suited to the Premier League is another matter. He's going to have to toughen up both physically and mentally sharpish.

Nope, sadly several people are saying he is poor. Weird.

TBH it makes me cringe how so many say they like to see the young talent at Palace. We sign a top young prospect who at 19 played for Holland, played in a Euro Final at 20,and we write him off at Palace after 90 mins. Right.

Just to add to that, Timbo has surely been our best defender so far this season and he is typically described on here as lacking experience. Well compared to Damo and Dann that's probably true literally but I reckon he is already the better player. Let's see.

Langers 08-09-2017 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beef (Post 13830754)

Or how about the new Valerien Ismael?

Young and too inexperienced for the EPL but with potential which was fulfilled else where

Penstone Eagle 09-09-2017 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beef (Post 13830754)

Doubt he's that good.

thefox 09-09-2017 06:36 AM

One game, one game, first of the season where everybody except RLC looked utter shit in a formation that was a joke.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Martin H 09-09-2017 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penstone Eagle (Post 13831419)
Doubt he's that good.

My guess is that it is staring at the Weed's ground every night that is depressing you, or rather maybe making you so depressing? Just imagine that if you could redirect all of that negativity towards the opposition it could be so much fun.

BUNGLE 09-09-2017 09:06 AM

Probably should give him a run out in midfield to adjust to the pace without the pressure.

Ian Hart 09-09-2017 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUNGLE (Post 13831532)
Probably should give him a run out in midfield to adjust to the pace without the pressure.

I'm not sure it was a problem with the pace of the game that has caused such cynicism and - in some cases - actual aggression towards him. I think it was a combination of a couple of factors.

The first was that he kept passing the ball back to Hennessey, when the crowd wanted him to move it forward. I suspect that's just his way. He has been tutored not to lose possession, and if he saw any risk at all in a forward pass, he didn't take. The crowd got more frustrated by that, because we were losing, and they wanted us to launch attacks. If we had been in the lead, it wouldn't have caused such derision; but in any event I think his tendency to pass back would have been largely overlooked amidst such a poor team performance if it hadn't been for the second factor.

That was that he didn't even get off the ground when the player he was marking headed a goal. An error like that is the last thing you want to see in a central defender, in a country where putting crosses into the box is such a regular part of the play. Being able to outjump the forward you are marking is, understandably, seen in England as the most fundamental part of a central defenders role. I think it was that glaring failure that, more than anything else, has turned so many fans against him so quickly.

Of course, it could turn out that that is the only time it occurs with him all season, and that he proves to be a towering presence in our defence, and that he also uses all his other skills to good effect. But we will only get a chance to see what he can really do, if he is given a run as a central defender, and that he hopefully performs in such a way to bring the doubters on board. Logic tells me that you don't get to play international football at such a young age without having some real ability. Let's play him, and give him the chance to show it

glaziers fan 11-09-2017 09:59 AM

Good to see this lad back fit, and in the midfield. Left footed, mobile, can put his foot in, solid in the air for a midfielder and can pick a pass. Could he be Puncheon's long-term replacement? Think left side of midfield will suit him more than left side of the defence.

Zohar's Penalty 11-09-2017 10:56 AM

Spare a thought for him. Frank's only signing, sat in Croydon on his tod in wondering what he's doing here.

wedgetail 11-09-2017 11:01 AM

Getting paid millions of pounds a year to play football probably.

Nostrils 11-09-2017 11:02 AM

He'll get games if he applies himself. I think he will.