CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Croydon First (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=262569)

Chocky 25-11-2015 07:44 PM

Croydon First

I only just found out that the first self service supermarket in the whole of Britain was Sainsbury's in London Road, Croydon. And then Sainsbury's rose to bugger up our ground. Is there anyone on here that shopped there or their parents? How easy was it to shoplift? It must've been a tea leaf's paradise.

Croydon has been a first for many things like the first European passenger airport, which now is just all fields. Also the second ever McDonalds to open in the country, which isn't a first but shut it. It was also the first place I paid for alcohol, got pissed and threw up.

Must be a few more firsts.

strolling bones 25-11-2015 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocky (Post 12679940)
I only just found out that the first self service supermarket in the whole of Britain was Sainsbury's in London Road, Croydon. And then Sainsbury's rose to bugger up our ground. Is there anyone on here that shopped there or their parents? How easy was it to shoplift?

Croydon has been a first for many things like the first European passenger airport, which now is just all fields. Also the second ever McDonalds to open in the country, which isn't a first but shut it. It was also the first place I paid for alcohol, got pissed and threw up.

Back of the whitgift, my first handful of Bristol ..

Ruskin Old Boy 25-11-2015 07:49 PM

Croydon Sainsbury 1950

http://www.retail-week.com/pictures/..._sCroydon2.jpg

Salad_Burnet 25-11-2015 07:54 PM

Wasn't Croydon the first and last place where Wendy burger opened a store outside of London?

Thinking back, I might have been the only person that actually went there.

Vendy 25-11-2015 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salad_Burnet (Post 12679953)
Wasn't Croydon the first and last place where Wendy burger opened a store outside of London?

Loved the Wendy burger, was it on the corner near West Croydon. Always wondered why they pulled out of the UK.

Scroatey 25-11-2015 08:06 PM

I thought this thread was about some new right wing group. Very disappointing.

Jim Cannon 25-11-2015 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salad_Burnet (Post 12679953)

Remember it well great burgers

justjuice 25-11-2015 08:37 PM

First place outside of London to use postcodes.

WLYWLYAWYPWF 25-11-2015 08:42 PM

The George was the first Wetherspoons wasn't it?

Selhurst Celtic 25-11-2015 09:00 PM

It's the first place where asylum seekers get mugged.

danpalace07 25-11-2015 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selhurst Celtic (Post 12680039)
It's the first place where asylum seekers get mugged.

An important step if they are to adjust to life in England.

Wolfnipplechips 25-11-2015 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WLYWLYAWYPWF (Post 12680018)
The George was the first Wetherspoons wasn't it?

Not by a long shot.

Ruskin Old Boy 25-11-2015 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips (Post 12680058)
Not by a long shot.

Muswell Hill has the honour (or disgrace)

Nth Kent Eagle 25-11-2015 09:25 PM

Wasn't the first Superdrug opened in George St Market?

Skintagain 25-11-2015 09:30 PM

Quote:

I only just found out that the first self service supermarket in the whole of Britain was Sainsbury's in London Road, Croydon. And then Sainsbury's rose to bugger up our ground. Is there anyone on here that shopped there or their parents? How easy was it to shoplift? It must've been a tea leaf's paradise.

Shoplifting isn't a problem at all. It just gets added to the price of the goods and everybody pays their share of the cost. That's life.

breagle 25-11-2015 09:39 PM

Quote:

Also the second ever McDonalds to open in the country, which isn't a first but shut it.

Remember the mcdonalds very well. Went there when it first opened. Furnished it with wooden slatted seats and they served root beer. Thought it v sophisticated

breagle 25-11-2015 09:40 PM

first place to ban pogo 'dancing'? Not v sucessfully

Dorking .Eagle 25-11-2015 09:41 PM

Wendy burgers were great. And square.

Anyone remember the Ponderosa restaurant? Unlimited coke refills, unlimited salad bar, and the unlimited self service ice cream machine! A fatties paradise.

Jedi's_beard 25-11-2015 09:47 PM

i know a couple of Seaweed fans. Yes, embarrassing to admit. But anyway, they are obsessed with our connections to supermarket at our stadium. They seem to bang on and on about it all the time. Imagine their dismay when i referred as 'The Amex' as the Durex.

Selhurst Celtic 25-11-2015 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jedi's_beard (Post 12680117)
i know a couple of Seaweed fans. Yes, embarrassing to admit. But anyway, they are obsessed with our connections to supermarket at our stadium.

I've never understood this, slagging Palace for having a shop behind a stand. Especially if you consider that their spiritual home is now a fecking Toys R Us. They are such divs.