CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   The Music Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   North vs South for music (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=278445)

CP-RJW 15-03-2019 01:37 PM

North vs South for music

I’m sure there’s been threads on this before. Been having this debate on twitter, and a fair few times in real life in the past. Seems ridiculously biased and blinkered to say anything other than the South (although plenty of northerners have managed it). You can have personal opinions on bands you prefer (I’d still comfortably pick South), but the record sales don’t lie, and 2 minutes of research shows me that of the 38 British acts to sell 50 million or more records, around 27 were Southern. 5 from the North, few from Birmingham and Wales. So, personal opinions on which side of the country’s music you prefer, and any counter arguments to the cold hard facts of popularity?

El Aguila 15-03-2019 01:44 PM

I don’t think sales are a very good guide, really. But I remember when Pete Shelley died, northerners in twitter talking to me about how important it was to them that he talked the way they did, and made things feel closer and more immediate to them. I was a huge, mad Buzzcocks fan, but I can understand that sentiment.

CP-RJW 15-03-2019 01:53 PM

I think sales are about as good an argument as you can make without it becoming a purely opinion based debate. And it’s not as if the acts making the sales are crap. The Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen, Bowie, Elton John, Rod Stewart, Iron Maiden, Phil Collins, Black Sabbath, Fleetwood Mac, George Michael. I personally don’t like a fair few of them, but their influence etc can’t be overstated, and you can’t tell me for a second that the North has a list of massively influential and extremely popular acts in and out of the UK that can match that.

El Aguila 15-03-2019 01:55 PM

What, you’re counting Led Zep and Black Sabbath as southerners?

CP-RJW 15-03-2019 01:57 PM

I mean Led Zepp were formed in London weren’t they. Know Plant was originally from the midlands, but I can’t say I’m familiar with the others’ origins. Fair enough about Black Sabbath though, lets leave bands formed in the Midlands out of it.

ExiledStirling 15-03-2019 02:17 PM

Is being based in the South not a distinct advantage in an up and coming band being noticed and getting a record deal? I have no idea if this is true, but I have an impression it is, so that surely plays a major part in this.

CP-RJW 15-03-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExiledStirling (Post 14688873)
Is being based in the South not a distinct advantage in an up and coming band being noticed and getting a record deal? I have no idea if this is true, but I have an impression it is, so that surely plays a major part in this.

Surely must be an advantage, London is just the place to be for all aspects of musical success. The south’s higher population could play a part too. But I’d say these points only support my argument. There’s a separate and probably interesting discussion to be had about how much wasted musical potential there’s been up north over the decades due to less resources then the south.

El Aguila 15-03-2019 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExiledStirling (Post 14688873)

Of course it is. Even more so back in the day. All the labels and all the media were in London.

the digger 15-03-2019 02:43 PM

And that's before you add the law of averages to the equation...

El Aguila 15-03-2019 02:46 PM

Until Factory started - that made it possible for bands up there.

El Aguila 15-03-2019 02:47 PM

Postcard, fast product…..

chrisophiex 15-03-2019 02:59 PM

From a personal point of view the North wins it by a country mile. Most of my favourite bands are from the north:

New Order
The Charlatans
Stone Roses
Embrace
Kasabian
The Smiths
Happy Mondays
Inspiral Carpets

Ninjas Headband 16-03-2019 07:48 AM

If I had to choose between South v North bands I'd have to choose North but it's a stupid argument as there have been great bands from all regions. Even Essex!

The country as a whole should be very proud of it's musical heritage. Even Essex!

Worksop Palace 16-03-2019 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisophiex (Post 14688911)
From a personal point of view the North wins it by a country mile. Most of my favourite bands are from the north:

New Order
The Charlatans
Stone Roses
Embrace
Kasabian
The Smiths
Happy Mondays
Inspiral Carpets

^

El Aguila 16-03-2019 08:57 AM

It’s dead black Americans for me, on the whole.

Stellavista 17-03-2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

New Order
The Charlatans
Stone Roses
Embrace
Kasabian
The Smiths
Happy Mondays
Inspiral Carpets

The Bunnymen
The Fall

What about Scottish bands?

KYLIE MINEAGLE 18-03-2019 07:09 AM

How far back do you want to go?

Big Gav 18-03-2019 07:28 AM

Quote:

New Order
The Charlatans
Stone Roses
Embrace
Kasabian
The Smiths
Happy Mondays
Inspiral Carpets

From mine its the south

The Who
Rolling Stones
Clash
The Jam
The Stranglers
Small Faces
Kinks
Sex Pistols

Oli28 18-03-2019 07:50 AM

Quote:

New Order
The Charlatans
Stone Roses
Embrace
Kasabian
The Smiths
Happy Mondays
Inspiral Carpets

Agree with those. Also Pulp and Oasis for me. Not a massive fan of The Beatles but if we're going on record sales...

switchboard 18-03-2019 07:52 AM

My favourites would be 50/50 split between North and South.