CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Over-reaction on the BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=280057)

Billy Rhino 29-09-2019 01:56 AM

Over-reaction on the BBS

Having witnessed the dreadful performance at Spurs it felt like an accumulation of the poor summer transfer window coupled with Wilf's wanting out. It felt at the time we were on the road to nowhere and it was the end of the world, yet here we are with another win and looking pretty good.

So the question really is are we maybe all a bit too quick to judge things on here based on one or two performances? Have to confess I think I'm in that boat.

Louis 29-09-2019 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Rhino (Post 14930009)
Have to confess I think I'm in that boat.

A former member would have called the boat 'The Good Ship BBS' ;)

Ronnie9 29-09-2019 02:09 AM

Great win today and our points total is what you would expect with the games so far. Lets see what happens in the next five games because we have some hard games coming up

chrisophiex 29-09-2019 07:19 AM

We’ve played 7 games, 3 of which were against the promoted teams.

We are exactly where we should be, at least.

cpfc4evandeva 29-09-2019 07:27 AM

Without question. This place is like a tabloid newspaper.

A good win yesterday, but it is a game you would expect us to win. Getting hammered at Spurs was obviously disappointing but they're a good side, and were in the Champions League final only a few months ago.

This place is more up and down than a whores drawers.

Ninjas Headband 29-09-2019 07:28 AM

Quote:

Having witnessed the dreadful performance at Spurs it felt like an accumulation of the poor summer transfer window coupled with Wilf's wanting out. It felt at the time we were on the road to nowhere and it was the end of the world, yet here we are with another win and looking pretty good.

So the question really is are we maybe all a bit too quick to judge things on here based on one or two performances? Have to confess I think I'm in that boat.

Yes! Worth remembering as we go through a tough run of games as still the same issues ,ie, a striker still exist and that we're a lower mid table PL team that with a few injuries will see us struggling.

Bottom line is we'll need strengthening for the long term come January.

dave_who_ru 29-09-2019 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisophiex (Post 14930069)

Maybe and maybe not. Only 4 points from the 3 games against the promoted teams and 7 points from the 4 games against teams who finished above us last season.

Given our home record in recent years I would have expected at least one defeat at home.

EDIT: Sorry ignore my early morning ramblings. It is of course 6 points from the promoted sides and 5 points from the teams that finished above us last season.

SA Eagle 29-09-2019 08:04 AM

Quote:

Yes, but it’s always been the way that results colour people’s perceptions and the messages that they post as a consequence.

GrayP41ace 29-09-2019 08:13 AM

I think we all tend to ignore the opposition regardless of the result and focus purely on that.

Promoted sides, certainly in recent seasons, tend to have a more reasonable start to a season than in years gone by. Huddersfield, Brighton, Watford, Burnley, Wolves etc. all made decent starts to their first season and have all stayed up, like we have. Playing them early is not the simple start it used to be. Norwich bear Man City, Sheff Utd competed with Chelsea and Liverpool, Villa competed with Spurs, they are not the easy games we think they are. The fact we have 2 wins from the 3 is a good outcome.

We focus purely on our failings and dismiss the oppositions role in a defeat. Like Spurs, it was a disaster, a proper rotten result, but, Tottenham were very good, very very good in fact. Their best performance this season and on top of that, they were clinical with it! Wolves offered very little in the second half, but they got lucky in the end. We focussed on our failings and how shit at both ends we were, but the result was the focus, even though the performance was actually ok.

Ultimately though, results are what keep you up or send you down, maybe we need to remember that when we complain about a poor win, as that trumps a great loss every time.

Edit: We’re also Crystal Palace, a punching above its weight, mid table side, that will lose games against equals and ‘lesser’ teams, but will get wins against equal and ‘better’ sides, and on occasion we will be on the end of a tonking, but now and again, give one back.

chateauferret 29-09-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis (Post 14930011)
A former member would have called the boat 'The Good Ship BBS' ;)

He would NOT engage with your "risible allegation" and reject it as a "pyramid of piffle".

MFBias 29-09-2019 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisophiex (Post 14930069)

We tend to play better against the higher placed teams.

sl6 Eagle 29-09-2019 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave_who_ru (Post 14930113)
Maybe and maybe not. Only 4 points from the 3 games against the promoted teams and 7 points from the 4 games against teams who finished above us last season.

Given our home record in recent years I would have expected at least one defeat at home.

We have actually got 6 points from promoted sides not 4.

GrayP41ace 29-09-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MFBias (Post 14930173)
We tend to play better against the higher placed teams.

It’s worth highlighting this, as whilst we do that, teams below us are doing the same, looking at us as a game they could take points from.

Then at Selhurst especially we’d be considered somewhat a ‘free hit’ for the newly promoted sides knowing we’re expected to win.

LuieJack 29-09-2019 09:53 AM

It is not an overreaction by some when being critical when we have been shambolic in games as we did at Sheff Utd and Spurs to name two recent games, and that cant just be brushed aside that it never happened. However on the flip side we must also accept when we look at our points total and our current position that it has Not been all doom and gloom and the person who deserves much credit for the turnaround is Roy Hodgson. Who not often gets the praise he deserves in his achievments when working under difficult circumstances and his knockers need to accept that, yes he has also made errors in judgement, who has not? but overall he has done well 11th and 12th in his Two seasons is not exactly shabby, if only he was given full backing by the Board then we may well be singing his praises for what he has achieved.
But we also have to be realistic and realise that with our Goalscoring issues and Defensive frailities due to a lack of cover which certainly needs to be rectified in the January window no If's or But's, failure to do so and we will always be fighting on the edge against relegation and the consequences of that would be disastrous for CPFC.

Wolfnipplechips 29-09-2019 10:03 AM

It’s great fun, and obvious to me that the most vitriolic posters either pro or anti are those that have nobody “real” to discuss their frustrations or adulation with after a game.

Talking it through with mates provides the balance that a lot of these posters don’t see.

Maidstoned Eagle 29-09-2019 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips (Post 14930256)
It’s great fun, and obvious to me that the most vitriolic posters either pro or anti are those that have nobody “real” to discuss their frustrations or adulation with after a game.

Talking it through with mates provides the balance that a lot of these posters don’t see.

Thats always the problem when you're from Brighton.

Jim Cannon 29-09-2019 10:13 AM

Quote:

The BBS in an overreaction? You don't say

Jim Cannon 29-09-2019 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuieJack (Post 14930247)
But we also have to be realistic and realise that with our Goalscoring issues and Defensive frailities due to a lack of cover which certainly needs to be rectified in the January window no If's or But's, failure to do so and we will always be fighting on the edge against relegation and the consequences of that would be disastrous for CPFC.

I wouldn't bank on the RB and Striker situation both being properly addressed in January to be honest, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see us bring in a loan striker (Batshuayi would be great but probably unlikely) knowing us we soldier on as we are injuries and results permitting until the summer. New players are more expensive in Jan.

chrisophiex 29-09-2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva (Post 14930075)
Without question. This place is like a tabloid newspaper.

Certainly are some tits on this site.

Thefunkymonk 29-09-2019 10:22 AM

There is some overreaction no doubt.. but a lot of people jump on top of people when the quite rightly criticise. Just like the villa game, there were faults yesterday. Genuinely believe with our best 11 with best formation for them would have walked to a win yesterday, instead we made hard work of it, much like villa game, and the 2 points thrown away against wolves.

11 points after 7 games is a sound return but there are some cracks. We will no doubt finish mid table again, it will be dull, it will be uninspiring, suppose we need to accept that... which is a shame with some of the talent we have.. and being wilfs last season.