CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Playstation 4 (Orbis) (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=232195)

Funk Butter 29-03-2012 01:46 PM

Playstation 4
 
I see there's already a thread for the new Xbox, so I'll just make a new one for the PS4. Some of the details (in easy to read bullet form):
  • Is called, or at least carries the working codename, "Orbis".
  • Is scheduled for a Holiday 2013 release.
  • Won't be backwards compatible with PS3 games.
  • Will lock new games to a PSN account as an anti-used games measure.
  • New games can be bought either on Blu-Ray or downloaded.
  • Current specs are an AMD x64 CPU and AMD Southern Islands GPU
That 3rd one will definitely slow adoption rates. I assume this has to do with the new machine's architecture, but Sony better come up with a workaround before I'm buying. Not sure on the XBox's backwards compatibility but they are both targeting used games, it looks like.

Woosie 29-03-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk Butter
  • Won't be backwards compatible with PS3 games.
  • Will lock new games to a PSN account as an anti-used games measure.

Another way of maximising revenue then, seems a bit stupid to me in that surely people will want to buy pre-owned games and play their PS3 games on it? Suppose it is a good way of making more money though.

JAS78 29-03-2012 01:53 PM

2013 seems abit unlikely, no doubt there'll be the usual delays

not being backwards compatable is disappointing

karl.eldridge 29-03-2012 01:54 PM

This isn't confirmed, but if it is true then I just can't wrap my head around there decision to lock Playstation games to an account. It would make trading in games and selling them on eBay obsolete

JAS78 29-03-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karl.eldridge
This isn't confirmed, but if it is true then I just can't wrap my head around there decision to lock Playstation games to an account. It would make trading in games and selling them on eBay obsolete

surely that would put people off buying them in the 1st place

if you can't move it on when completed

karl.eldridge 29-03-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAS78
surely that would put people off buying them in the 1st place

if you can't move it on when completed

It's silly. Take for example FIFA most people upgrade to the latest version each year, might want to knock of some 's by trading in the last version, they wouldn't be able to do it anymore.

Sony taking the complete piss.

StudentEagle 29-03-2012 02:02 PM

End of renting games too, if it happens.

Woosie 29-03-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karl.eldridge
It's silly. Take for example FIFA most people upgrade to the latest version each year, might want to knock of some 's by trading in the last version, they wouldn't be able to do it anymore.

Sony taking the complete piss.

People will still buy the PS4 though, therefore it maximises their revenue. IMO it's a great idea in terms of making money, they won't lose that many sales because you can't trade in games or use PS3 games with it. However, it is a case of we don't really care about our customers, let's just get as much money as possible.

eagle101 29-03-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk Butter
  • Won't be backwards compatible with PS3 games.
  • Will lock new games to a PSN account as an anti-used games measure.

:( :grrr:

CT_Palace 29-03-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woosie
People will still buy the PS4 though, therefore it maximises their revenue. IMO it's a great idea in terms of making money, they won't lose that many sales because you can't trade in games or use PS3 games with it. However, it is a case of we don't really care about our customers, let's just get as much money as possible.

I agree with all the above, but it's nothing new. They did exactly the same when the PS3 came out with regards to back compatability :veryangry and it did not effect sales unduly.
They don't care about their customers, but it seems their customers don't seem to mind that.

Fatboy 29-03-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace
I agree with all the above, but it's nothing new. They did exactly the same when the PS3 came out with regards to back compatability :veryangry and it did not effect sales unduly.
They don't care about their customers, but it seems their customers don't seem to mind that.

The very first PS3's actually did play older PS2 and some PS1 games. The later models didn't.

CT_Palace 29-03-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatboy
The very first PS3's actually did play older PS2 and some PS1 games.

Which subsequent s/w updates blocked off I understand

Shipp Ahoy! 29-03-2012 02:44 PM

I won't be bothering, quite happy to stick to my PS3 until it dies given that this new one won't be far short if at all of 500 notes!

JAS78 29-03-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatboy
The very first PS3's actually did play older PS2 and some PS1 games. The later models didn't.

yep, i still had the original 60gb version until it was stolen in december

and 4 years of saved games down the pan

squelchy18 29-03-2012 03:10 PM

I think locking games to a PSN account will seriously hurt sales of the console. Used games have a massive install base seeing as not everyone can afford to fork out the full RRP all the time, or have other reason why they wouldn't.

It's a stupid idea! If I complete a game that has no multiplayer and I have no reason to play it again, or I don't like a certain game I buy, I would like to be able to sell it on and make some return of the money I spent. Or at least give it to someone else rather than just throw it in the bin.

Publishers are becoming so greedy it's unreal. They still make money selling games seeing as a game has to be bought brand new in the first place for it to eventually become used...They don't LOSE money on used game sales, they just want MORE!

Funk Butter 29-03-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squelchy18
I think locking games to a PSN account will seriously hurt sales of the console. Used games have a massive install base seeing as not everyone can afford to fork out the full RRP all the time, or have other reason why they wouldn't.

The new XBox is going to do exactly the same thing. I assume there will be some sort of fee attached to used games in order to get full functionality out of it. Not sure if that means the end of rentals or some sort of rental only copy. The bugger for me is no backwards compatibility. I actually still play COD4 and World at War from time to time. Not to mention my Yakuza games. I assume a software solution would be possible, but given the huge difference between the programming of the machines, Sony doesn't want to spend time and money solving it.

Scrumpy 29-03-2012 03:23 PM

Well I won't be buying. To be fair I'm finding I'm having less and less time or gaming now anyway :(

squelchy18 29-03-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk Butter
The new XBox is going to do exactly the same thing. I assume there will be some sort of fee attached to used games in order to get full functionality out of it. Not sure if that means the end of rentals or some sort of rental only copy. The bugger for me is no backwards compatibility. I actually still play COD4 and World at War from time to time. Not to mention my Yakuza games. I assume a software solution would be possible, but given the huge difference between the programming of the machines, Sony doesn't want to spend time and money solving it.

I miss the golden age of gaming...The Mega Drive and SNES days when things were so much simpler and not everything was about money. :(

bunter 29-03-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squelchy18
I think locking games to a PSN account will seriously hurt sales of the console. Used games have a massive install base seeing as not everyone can afford to fork out the full RRP all the time, or have other reason why they wouldn't.

It's a stupid idea! If I complete a game that has no multiplayer and I have no reason to play it again, or I don't like a certain game I buy, I would like to be able to sell it on and make some return of the money I spent. Or at least give it to someone else rather than just throw it in the bin.

Publishers are becoming so greedy it's unreal. They still make money selling games seeing as a game has to be bought brand new in the first place for it to eventually become used...They don't LOSE money on used game sales, they just want MORE!


what? of course they lose money. for example I dont buy games new anymore. I wait until they are traded in and are cheaper. More and more people are doing this and publishers are losing huge amounts of cash.

This is also why they have introduced the online pass thing for most games now. So you either buy it new or you still have to buy a pass online to access multiplayer features etc.

as for the ps4, where exactly is the OP getting their info from. Everything I have seen is that Sony and Microsoft arnt planning on releasing a new home console till 2014. I also havent see any news on most major games sites about any features of the next gen consoles. unless I missed it? Sounds like rumors to me.

the kooch 29-03-2012 03:40 PM

I'd buy if it was called Orbison


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.