Thread: Andros Townsend
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 09:29 AM
A gift

CarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is here
Firstly, I think everyone should be entitled to their own opinion without being insulted if it's different to the majority.

I'm with the minority on this thread, as I think he escapes a lot of criticism due to work rate and being an eloquent thoughtful chap. Ultimately, we signed an England international winger at his peak age, who's played nearly every single game since he's been here either up front or on the wing and he's mustered 10 PL goals in 109 PL games.

If Sullay Kaikai or another youth player posted those kind of numbers in their formative years in the PL, I wouldn't be compelled to bring it up.

However, Townsend is different. He's got PL-proven ability and a wand of a left-foot. As a result, I think it's perfectly reasonable for people to be disappointed with that return. Especially in a team who struggle to score goals and create chances at home. He started off this season threatening to become a much more consistent goalscorer but has really tailed off and league-wise he's only just managed to overtake a much-maligned and less talented Schlupp by one goal.

Whilst I'm not calling for him to be sold, I do wish he would take more direct responsibility for our goal-scoring and spent less time passing the ball back in to midfield when he could take a shot. Surely it's not unreasonable that a player so talented and highly praised produces a goal like that against Burnley at home more than once a season in games at Selhurst.