Thread: Brexit
View Single Post
Old 23-01-2017, 04:06 PM

Hpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockneyrebel View Post
It's not a weird star trek world though. Until 2016 it was seen as perfectly normal that people in the EU could move around how they wanted to.

I still maintain, and I think the evidence backs it, that people moving around is not what affects wages or unemployment. Otherwise the USA and China would be screwed. I'm sure that people from Hawaii and Puerto Rico send money back to Hawaii and Puerto Rico, or people in New York can send money back to Ohio.

I think nationalism and patriotism are a total mugs game that just benefit the rich. The UK will be far worse off place and far worse off economically by pulling up the drawbridge.
It was seen as normal until the accession states joined and economic disparity was an issue. Its been a large political ball for several years. Irish were an issue and black immigration was an issue previously.

I agree. Someone working in London and sending money back to Stoke will leave their family better off. Someone working in New York and sending their money back to Ohio will be better off. However someone working in London and sending their money back to Riga will be considerably better off and someone working in New York and sending their money back to Haiti will be considerably better off. I have some friends that decided to go and teach in Riga for two years. In just two years they were able to save a 10% deposit for a house in the South East. International teaching pays roughly the same but it is one of the very few exceptions and has high barriers of entry. Their cost of living was one fifth of what it cost to live in the UK.

I agree the UK will be worse off economically. Patriotism is not a mug's game however nationalism is. If we ever go to war again in a serious way patriotism will come in very useful.