View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 04:57 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Well done Steve. Signed.

Being the parent of a disabled child is probably one of the most difficult things a person can encounter in life, so it is only right our Government would support these families with every resource available...you would think.

I’ve worked for 15 years in an additional needs school with children with all kinds of conditions, and by nature of the job, you get very close to the parents. I knew they had it tough, but I can honestly say that until my daughter came along, who unfortunately has physical and learning difficulties too, I never truely appreciated how bloody hard it was to be a special needs parent.

‘Hard’ doesn’t actually cover it. ‘Hard’ is bringing up typically developing children. This just feels like a daily war. It’s all consuming. Actually read once some psychologist claim that in terms of stress levels, being a parent of a child with additional needs (predominantly talking about autism), is akin to the stress levels of a soldier in combat.

I’ve talked to Exiled Stirling a few times about starting up a thread on here about the subject knowing there were a few BBSers in our position - almost like a help group like the depression thread - but kept putting it off. Think deep down I’m a bit embarrassed about talking honestly on here about something that is so emotionally difficult.

Maybe this could be the thread.

I hope the campaign gets the support it thoroughly deserves. The Sun thing doesn’t matter. I would walk around for life with a tattoo on my forehead saying, ‘I love Brighton and Margaret Thatcher’, if somehow it made my daughter’s quality of life better.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel