View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 01:31 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
We were very fortunate to find a great school for our son, its genuinely well resourced and brilliantly run & staffed - as you know Steve.

We didn't really need day to day support but what we prized was respite care so that we could go away, or go out. After 2 years of waiting apparently our application had been 'lost', in the end I complained and we received 20 nights a year which was great.

Then suddenly after about the 5th annual review it was taken away. Bear in mind the previous year they said we should get more nights because it was good for us as a family and good for him as helped in building independence as he gets older but that they probably couldn't afford it.

However, because it was a statutory right they couldn't just take it away that had to invent a reason so apparently his permanent condition had changed and it was for his benefit that it was taken away.

I was furious.

What had clearly happened is the department had been told 'we have to cut down provision to x' go and make it happen.

And you know what if the social worker had said look guys, you have a good home and good school for your boy, plus you aren't struggling financially I am really sorry but we have to make drastic cuts. You know what central government has done to council budgets and there are families in much more difficult circumstances to you - would you take a cut to help them, knowing what some other parents were going through we would have said you know what, it is a blow, but you are right others are in more dire need than us. I was a school governor at a special needs school at the time and I knew just how hard some parents had it and how challenging some kids were.

However to blatantly lie to our faces in the way they did just made me furious. I am still angry now remembering their lies and obfuscation.

On a perhaps surprising note, I am happy to report as soon as he turned 18 adult services have been brilliant and he is now in assisted living, doing really well and receiving his own benefits that meet his needs.