Thread: Brexit
View Single Post
Old 23-01-2017, 03:28 PM

Hpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockneyrebel View Post
So what if people have paid taxes? Again people in Stoke haven't paid any taxes to local government in London or for the GLA, so why should they move here by your rationale? What about 18 year olds that haven't paid any tax yet, should they have to stay in their town?

It's not obvious what you're saying at all. In the USA no one says that people moving about causes more unemployment or affects wages. It's just a total and utter bullshit logic.
I can see your point CR but there is a couple of factors that have to be taken into account. In the USA everyone is paid in dollars. There is variation from state to state as to how many dollars per hour a 'job is worth' and variation from state to state as to cost of living. Now if you have a scenario that all of a sudden a US carpenter directly competes against a carpenter that walks into the US from Haiti, previously paid in the gourde then those variations become much more exaggerated.

In the case of the EU there was little complaint (as far as I can recall) about FOM when it was just the original states. These complaints started when the East European nations joined as all of a sudden another more extreme factor was thrown into the mix. Rightly or wrongly the perception was that a 25 year old Polish carpenter could treble his wages by moving to the UK and still undercut the 25 year old UK born carpenter. For me given further investment in the EU over time these extreme balances would have become less exaggerated. Unfortunately the majority did not agree with me.

I for one have to constantly compete with people massively undercutting the services I offer. FOM or no FOM this will continue to be the case. I can live with this but I can also kind of understand why others have had enough and were not prepared to give it more time. If for instance we had FOM with Malawi it would not work unless serious investment went into Malawi and wages began to get close/equal to those in the UK.