Thread: Brexit
View Single Post
Old 23-01-2017, 03:53 PM

cockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpalace View Post
I agree in an ideal Star Trek world kind of way (not taking the piss but could not think of a better way to describe a world with a level playing field).

Ireland is a good example. For years and years there has been emigration from Ireland to the UK with very little recipricol emigration from the UK to Ireland. The Irish used to come over, share a house with multiple occupancy, live off cheap food and undercut the UK worker. This was met with resentment and racism. The UK worker felt that the Irish worker was able to convert their pounds to punts and send the money home to their family. The converted punts were worth more in Ireland and gave his family in Ireland a better way of life than they would have had if daddy had stayed at home. Now the Welsh carpenter still has to pay UK taxes, feed his family and pay his rent with pounds. He can undercut but not to the same extreme. Remember "Irish need not apply"? It was protectionism.

The key to the EU project IMOP was time. Bring the other countries up and the workers will not come en-masse as the push/pull factors would decrease. Over time those countries become wealthier and they buy your goods/services. Everyone wins. The UK (England) traditionally does not respond well to mass immigration. It was really fecking stupid to open the doors and not follow the route of the other original states which gives more TIME for the other states to catch up economically a bit lessening push/pull.

Economically sound but politically stupid given history.
It's not a weird star trek world though. Until 2016 it was seen as perfectly normal that people in the EU could move around how they wanted to.

I still maintain, and I think the evidence backs it, that people moving around is not what affects wages or unemployment. Otherwise the USA and China would be screwed. I'm sure that people from Hawaii and Puerto Rico send money back to Hawaii and Puerto Rico, or people in New York can send money back to Ohio.

I think nationalism and patriotism are a total mugs game that just benefit the rich. The UK will be far worse off place and far worse off economically by pulling up the drawbridge.