Thread: Brexit
View Single Post
Old 23-01-2017, 04:29 PM

cockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpalace View Post
It was seen as normal until the accession states joined and economic disparity was an issue. Its been a large political ball for several years. Irish were an issue and black immigration was an issue previously.

I agree. Someone working in London and sending money back to Stoke will leave their family better off. Someone working in New York and sending their money back to Ohio will be better off. However someone working in London and sending their money back to Riga will be considerably better off and someone working in New York and sending their money back to Haiti will be considerably better off. I have some friends that decided to go and teach in Riga for two years. In just two years they were able to save a 10% deposit for a house in the South East. International teaching pays roughly the same but it is one of the very few exceptions and has high barriers of entry. Their cost of living was one fifth of what it cost to live in the UK.

I agree the UK will be worse off economically. Patriotism is not a mug's game however nationalism is. If we ever go to war again in a serious way patriotism will come in very useful.
I don't think the accession states caused that much of a big deal. I don't think anyone was that bothered about having a referendum, and if we hadn't had one, most people wouldn't have cared. Brexit had a hugely anti migrant campaign and has whipped up negative feeling. But I agree that over time it would have been less and less of an issue.

I think that someone sending money from New York to Puerto Rico would be considerably better off. Fundamentally unions and good workers rights get people good wages and good employment, stopping migrants won't. Any more than banning women coming in to the workplace would or have a one child birth control policy would.

We will have to disagree about patriotism and agree about nationalism