View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 11:06 AM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I can believe that. But it's foolish (and I speak with some knowledge here) to think that this stress simply vanishes if people spend more time at home.

The better approach (and, hey what, I speak with some knowledge here !) is to create a less-stressed working environment and to teach employees how to better handle stress when they encounter it.
Indeed, itís far too simplistic to conclude that a 4 day week solves all stress-related issues. That survey quoted above spoke of staff squashing the same amount of work into one less day...it wasnít that the staff would actually do less work. So for many people those 4 days will be more loaded than ever before.

The one obvious positive is that the worker would have to commute to work for one less day, but that only benefits a percentage of workers.

And I agree that a simple yes/no survey can be very misleading when the responders donít know the true consequences of their choice.

Cockneyrebel bangs on about new technology as our saviour in this, but I bet a survey of stress triggers would list emails and mobile phones as high on the list of the causes. Demanding immediate attention from staff and colleagues, especially outside of core working hours, has surely made it considerably harder for people to unwind when theyíre meant to be off duty. Something which I know the French have been trying to improve with legislation.