View Single Post
Old 19-10-2004, 01:03 PM
criostal lýchairt

Scotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
It always strikes me that the majority of Palace fans don't hate Charlton. There is probably a bit of local rivalry, but Brighton and Millwall are reserved for our "hate". Maybe for younger Palace fans there is a bit more intensity; if they're at school with people from SE London who want to follow a local and "successful" club they will have most recently picked Charlton in the same way I picked Palace back in the 80's(I'm 30) and our younger fans will have had to put up with mickey taking in the same way I ripped the piss out of the few Charlton fans I knew at that time.

The other thing is who does actually hate Charlton?

They try and hate us, but we've got Brighton and Millwall
They try to hate West Ham, but they've got Millwall, Tottenham and Chelsea
They try to hate Millwall, but they've got West Ham and us.

I guess there's always Gillingham, but anything I've ever read / heard from Charlton fans tries to play this down - not surprising really.

I think it really gets to them that they've not got a reciprocal hate club.

A chorus of:

"no one hates you,
no one hates you,
no one hates you,
and you care"

next Wednesday?

My own personal thoughts on Charlton are based around mild local rivalry and envious glances, but not hate. Having said that I hope we stuff them in the league and the cup. I want to resurrect that piece from Eagle eye that went something like "The FA have dismissed rumours that if Palace beat Charlton for the third time this season they'll get to keep them". Maybe not this season but I'm confident that if Dowie stays as long as Curbishly has been at CAFC then we'll reclaim our throne as South London's top side.