View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 12:27 PM

UEAgle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUEAgle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUEAgle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUEAgle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUEAgle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUEAgle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUEAgle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUEAgle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUEAgle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUEAgle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUEAgle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
As an England fan, I hope John does well. I think it's a certainty that he will be a very, very good, possibly world class player, and that can only benefit our chances of winning a major international tournament. Regardless of the way he left the club, there will be an element of pride when we see him play for our country.

Like it or not, footballers move all of the time, often at younger ages than John. As football fans it can be difficult to look at things from a detached perspective, but as much as it may be galling to say it, Spurs are a big club who play nice football. I certainly don't wish John any ill or injury.

Of course I wish he would have stayed for a couple of seasons like Victor, Lee and Sean, and whilst finance obviously played a large part, who's to say there wasn't a footballing aspect to his decision to leave - he'd hardly thrive with the agricultural football we've been playing thus far this season.

I personally feel John would have been better served staying with us for a couple of years, but everyone views football differently. Besides, after a promising debut last night, John could well play a number of times this season against top class English and European opposition.

I don't get the anger towards John - surely any anger should be directed at his advisers, particularly his father? The interview in SE25 magazine was a particularly badly judged piece; if John had left without previously having made such a big deal out of how big a Palace fan he was there wouldn't have been half as much fuss about his transfer.

The low fee has also understandably upset people. Whatever we end up receiving, it will be pittance when we see John playing for our country. I don't blame Spurs though; they merely took advantage of the system. It's the system we should be angry at (and David Pleat, who ludicrously claimed on 5 Live last night that John was over-priced).