Thread: Wan-Bissaka
View Single Post
Old 25-02-2018, 08:36 PM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosie View Post
It was his professional debut. He's been with the U23s for two years playing in front of a few hundred people against mostly bang average players. It's a huge step up to then be marking Erik Lamela. Especially when he had someone younger than him playing at CB next to him and no real leader to help him out.

Considering his age, lack of experience and the opposition, I thought he did well. Defensively he was better than Van Aanholt. A few passes went astray, but I'm not sure it's fair to point out that his one cross was scuffed when even the very best players do that.

We expect a lot from our players, understandably, but I think it's important to place it in context. If it was a senior pro with lots of games I would understand, but this is a young lad who has never played a senior game - except in pre-season.

Not every player that comes through the academy is going to be like Wilf or Jonny Williams were on debut, or turn into the player that Wilf has.
Do we judge him as a youth team player making his debut, or do we judge him against our first choice full back (his competition). I thought he did OK... he got caught in possession a few times, and had the poorest pass completion rate (38%) of any player on the pitch.
I'd rather have him as back up full back than TfM though.